AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Older Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   (L) Paradise Kiss (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26400)

mytrivo 2005-12-18 17:48

Paradise Kiss

This is G o o g l e's cache of http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=38918 as retrieved on Dec 11, 2005 11:38:21 GMT.

Edit by Mod (xris) here's a cleaned up version of the cache I had already made
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2005-08-29, 10:18
The Osaka Koneko

So as everyone knows, Paradise Kiss is soon to be made into anime. Yay!

Is anyone planning to sub this show? Who's doing it? Let us know! I desire knowledge of whether it will be subbed (and by who)!!

Not much longer to wait for this splendid series though...starts in October! Things are starting to heat up about it too - big posters in the subway and people handing out fans with ParaKiss on them in Harajuku advertising the animation and opening theme (by Tommy february). I guess it's just a Yazawa Ai season, what with the Nana live action movie (starring Nakashima Mika) coming out Saturday (or something like that) as well! Everywhere you go in Tokyo you see her stuff now...nice.

2005-08-29, 10:49
wao

I'm somewhat looking forward to it - because Honey and Clover has exceeded my expectations as a late-night production aimed at girls and clearly i'ts gotten a lot of funding, so I think Paradise Kiss won't have really bad production values like some recent Madhouse stuff (cough cough Ichigo 100%, Okusama wa Joshikousei)

I saw this scan of illustrations from the anime in Newtype, it looks quite sleek and cool...

Another reason is because the director, Osamu Kobayashi, is kind of interesting. He's done some odd shorts for Studio 4C and also directed the fairly recent anime Beck - which was also by Madhouse, but I think it didn't get as much funding (though it had some interesting animation and direction). I'd like to see what he does with this. I wonder if he's going to hand pick animators like Satoshi Kon seems to have done for Paranoia Agent (another Madhouse production).

I can't say I'm that interested about the premise of the show, but then again I have never read the manga, so I really can't say for sure. I won't let myself be influenced so I'll just go watch the anime when it comes out.

2005-08-29, 19:24
The Osaka Koneko

Hehe I'm coming from the opposite starting point. I love the manga. It's gorgeous...stylish would definitely be an appropriate word, though insufficient. (It's also serialized in a fashion magazine rather than a regular manga magazine!)
I can't keep up with directors and all that. I don't know about budget..they seem to do shoujo really low budget sometimes, but the big huge posters in the train station sorta imply it might not be so low...I never saw any for Peach Girl (or Beck)! hehehe Usually I only see posters for like Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, Tsubasa, etc..
As long as the art looks good and the animation isn't too choppy, I'll be happy (well, along with good seiyuu, good story writing, etc). Beck had some amazing animation in the band scenes (and some bad, but some really good), and then horrible everyday conversation animation. But I suppose they wanted to do the music parts right? With ParaKiss there might not be so many scenes which require better than average animation, which would sort of level out the animation level within the series...hopefully. But then they could do some freaky stuff in some parts. I guess we'll just have to wait and see in the end.
But man, now I gotta go buy Newtype...was this the September issue?

And I still wanna know who's doing this! Will there be several or one or none?

2005-08-30, 02:09
jonli

I just did some research on Paradise kiss and I just found out that its by the same author who does NANA....my god its one of my favourite girl comics how ignorant of me.

I heard Paradise Kiss is linked to one of her old mangas...anyone here care to explain?

Is there any word on Nana being anime-ized? I just checked out the live action trailer but i think its better as a series instead ....

2005-08-30, 03:12
Neaco

Nice I loved the art style. How is the animation compared to the manga?

No word about Nana, maybe the success of this will up the chances of that being done as well.

2005-08-30, 04:51
The Osaka Koneko

Yeah but Nana has Mika Nakashima in it! How cool is that? And it's not really all that surprising - it's a *really really* mainstream comic which would actually be popular (and work) as live action. If someone gets a raw I'd definitely translate it! (Hint hint..)

Paradise Kiss seems to be (well, it's mentioned in the omake of the second volume) a semi-continuation of Kinjo Monogatari (well, it continues the story of a few characters, but they aren't the stars of ParaKiss, but secondary important characters). But I haven't read that one *yet* so I can't say for sure or give any details. All I know is that Miwako says in the omake that you can read about her childhood in Kinjou Monogatari. So I'll have to buy and read that one after I finish Paradise Kiss and Nana.

I can't wait to see both! I only discovered both of these very recently (...) and I can't believe it! Now I have to read all of Yazawa Ai's stuff... And yay! for little touches of loli!

/me goes to read volume 3 of ParaKiss...

2005-09-01, 07:24
Ialdaboth

Official site is open.

http://parakiss.tv/_pkiss/

The art looks detailled, but the skin tones feel kind of weird. Well, it's Osamu Kobayashi (KOR, Creamy) who is directing and it will suceed to Honey & Clover so I feel nonetheless confident.

2005-09-01, 08:21
The Osaka Koneko
"今なら原宿にあるKDDI DESIGNING STUDIOのビジョンで、パラキスの特別映像が見れちゃいます!"

Dammit tell us that a week earlier! Or open it a week earlier! Whichever, but I wish I'd known that last week! I wanna see it! I was in Harajuku last week! Dammit!

("Now in Harajuku's KDDI Designing Studio's "vision", you can see a special image/video of ParaKiss!")

So it's cool the site is open but no new info on it except that. Oh well

So who's subbing it?

2005-09-06, 11:53
Kaoru Chujo

I've just read the first hundred pages or so of the manga and now I'm really looking forward to this. I see hints of KareKano, of H&C and even of Glass Mask (sort of). Quite a bit of lovely weirdness, but with real characters. And even though I'm not any kind of fashionista, that aspect is interesting, too.

EDIT: Now I've read all five volumes of the manga (I couldn't stop) and I'm looking forward to the anime even more. What a story. Maybe not the character complexity of Honey and Clover, but events and relationships and life situations in a wonderful fashion-student milieu. And tasteful and romantic sex scenes too (hope they get into the anime).

It's the story of a gangly 18-year-old (170 cm = 5'7") in her last year of high school. She becomes friends with a group of fashion students from another high school who call their collective studio "Paradise Kiss." They want her to model their clothes. In the group are a rich, suave fashion genius; the baby-faced sister of the owner of a fashion house; her multiply-pierced boyfriend; and a glamorous tall girl who turns out to be a guy. They are all 18 and look 24, except the one girl who is 18 and looks like a chibi 14-year-old.

The heroine does look 18, but can seem older when she is modeling. For the anime, it looks like they've changed her a bit (see official site), but not necessarily for the worse. If the anime is well done, it could really bring the manga to life. And in this case, as opposed to H&C, the manga has reached a real conclusion.

2005-09-20, 20:02
Breno

Promo:
http://www.mininova.org/tor/114377

Wow, I love it.
Music of Tommy february6

Spoiler:

Beck again?

2005-09-20, 22:20
DaFool

Yeah, the character designs for the anime are very Madhouse-y. I'm almost expecting some weird psychological thrilling, lol.

2005-09-20, 23:31
7Th

Sorry if old... but I've just noticed it. According to the ANN web for ParaKiss (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=5081), the ending is a song from brit-pop band Franz Ferdinand. LOL.

2005-09-21, 02:59
potatochobit

i just saw the opening trailer. the show is going to go on air in october?

man does it look hawt. that intro music is spot on. im definately anticipating this show.

2005-09-21, 07:01
wao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breno
Promo:
http://www.mininova.org/tor/114377

Wow, I love it.
Music of Tommy february6
(image)
Beck again?

Same director so - I certainly will not be surprised in the least bit if we see more of the nice guitar-playing that was in the promo. (That promo is like... 14/15 seconds long , right? It's the same promo that I saw on Garten's blog...)

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm hoping this anime will turn out well because there's an interesting director and this time I think the budget will be significantly higher than Beck's. He got some interesting animators to work on Beck, it's just that because of low budget it looked unpolished and what not and there was a fair bit of crap animation too... But this time I wonder what it'll be like.

And I really don't know why, but I am most shamefully addicted to that short bit of the OP. Maybe I just haven't had any city-girl glamour kind of music for a long time... and haven't had any shoujo in some itme, much less the type with totally swoonable-over guys.

I really could've sworn George was 24... he totally doesn't look 18, but that's fine with me, I very personally enjoy relationships where both sides are the same age rather than ones where one person is older by more than a year...

I guess he didn't need to go to school and since he's rich he can start up his own label or what not.
His seiyuu is Kenji Hamada... I kind of like his voice as Nomiya, I wonder what it'll be like in ParaKiss.

Hmm... I don't recall being so enthusiastic about the show before.

2005-09-21, 08:04
The Osaka Koneko

Wow excited excited excited!! Now who's subbing it? Dammit stop keeping us in the dark! I wanna know! ><
/me dies of anticipation

but I don't really know how much guitar playing we should get in the show...it's not about music. Arashi does play guitar but you never really see much (or any) of it in the manga. I wonder if they'll add it to make it more hip! hehe
And George is 18, in high school...he does design clothing but he also goes to fashion high school.

Course none of this was in the promo...unless there are two?

anyway...
::waku waku waku::

2005-09-21, 19:51
MidoriShinobi

LOL!!!! omg, the ending is "do you want to".. that's so hot.
seriously, I can't believe franz let it be used..

they're awesome. I heard that , and like.. omg..
haha, and they aren't britpop. they're from glasgow.

that's so hot, seriously. I def. have to watch now.

2005-09-21, 21:33
EricMontreal22

As I said in the thread about it below, I hope this show and the interest in it causes fansubbers to pick up its sibling show Gokinjo Monogatari--the best shoujo show of the 90s to be ignored by them--a DVD box of it is being reissued this week in Japan.

The manga for ParaKiss is amazing--I think it also shares a lot of qualities with the show it's replacing in the Josei/noitamina timeslot--a mix of touching relationship and "where doe smy future lie" type drama along with knockabout comedy. As I said elsewhere, some seem to think the premise is that it's about a model--not at all. it's similar to H&C as it's about a bunch of college age kids questioning their future and involved in the arts/creative projects (fashion design in this case)

2005-09-21, 21:38
EricMontreal22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Osaka Koneko
Paradise Kiss seems to be (well, it's mentioned in the omake of the second volume) a semi-continuation of Kinjo Monogatari (well, it continues the story of a few characters, but they aren't the stars of ParaKiss, but secondary important characters). But I haven't read that one *yet* so I can't say for sure or give any details. All I know is that Miwako says in the omake that you can read about her childhood in Kinjou Monogatari. So I'll have to buy and read that one after I finish Paradise Kiss and Nana.

I can't wait to see both! I only discovered both of these very recently (...) and I can't believe it! Now I have to read all of Yazawa Ai's stuff... And yay! for little touches of loli!

/me goes to read volume 3 of ParaKiss...

Gokinjo Monogatari was Ai's first huge series--7 volumes around 1994-1996 in Ribon. Since it was Ribon it was aimed a lot younger--12 year old girls I guess--though was the most mature of the Ribon titles IMHO. ShoujoMagic have scanlated mos tof it. The art isn't quite as fantastic as ParaKiss but even though I usually dont' care for manga aimed at the Ribon ages, this is worth reading.

ParaKiss takes place some 15 years after Gokinjo--the main characters of Gokinjo are married and have a new younger sister, Miwako who's one of the main characters of Para. The other characters all make cameos as faculty at the design school etc (the main character runs the label HappyBerry).

However ParaKiss is firmly Josei (liek Honey and Clover was) originating in Zipper Fashion magazine aimed at college women.

The anime of Gokinjo ran for 50 eps and was a huge hit in Japan in 1995--and had a lot of personal work by Ai herself--I can't think of any similar series with so much connection to its original mangaka. 14 eps and the 30 minut emovie were fansubed apparantly but I'v enever foudn them--I hope the show will be picked up--maybe digisubed at the same time as ParaKiss which would be great.

2005-09-21, 21:57
DaFool

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMontreal22
However ParaKiss is firmly Josei (liek Honey and Clover was) originating in Zipper Fashion magazine aimed at college women.

Ah, I was wondering why H&C didn't feel quite like shoujo, you hit the nail on the head. Now I'm really interested in ParaKiss!

2005-09-21, 22:24
7Th

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidoriShinobi
haha, and they aren't britpop. they're from glasgow.

Well, you're right, even if they are influenced by britpop, New Wave would be a better genre to define them.

Kaoru Chujo 2005-12-18 18:00

There are strong opinions about this anime. People disagree about whether George is a cad or is encouraging Yukari to become a strong woman with her own ideas and ambitions. People disagree on whether the long shots and tight shots are just there to save money or are artistically strong as well. People disagree about the sexual morality and personal responsibility of the characters.

Most recently we have thought that they are probably going to have to leave something out to get to the end of the manga by episode 13. But they have kept in some interesting stuff about Isabella that we thought might go, and they have introduced Kaori, whom we also thought might go. So perhaps they have a method.

Personally, I love this show. For me, it is the best thing on right now -- because of the story and the complex characters, as well as a wonderful look and great theme music. I don't find George that attractive as a person, but some of what he does gives me a better opinion of him. Watching the raws of episodes 8-10 it seemed that each episode was better than the last.

mytrivo 2005-12-18 18:24

Since I have to wait for the fansubs, I've only seen 8 episodes. But I love what I've seen so far and I'm looking forward to more. IMHO, I feel this anime is realistic in how it portrays the characters. Yukari is struggling with finding her own path and it's not necessarily the one her mom wants for her. George has his own ambitions but he's not totally unfeeling toward Yukari either. Don't we all go thru struggles like these in our life? As for the sexual relationships, they don't bother me, they're more in line with what I see in my corner of the world.

MrProphet 2005-12-18 20:50

Episode 10 was just pricelss!

Spoiler:

But I do wonder if they are gonna make it in just 2 episodes. They have 12 chapters to go (from 36 to 48), and that means 6 chapters per. Considering how 10 just went through 3 chapters, and it was the best episode in terms of pacing so far, I fear the speed is going to be breakneck...

Too bad, really. One more ep could have made a difference. But we'll see the end result when we really get there.

AisuruMirai 2005-12-20 06:01

It's sooooo sad that the forums got hacked. I used to spend almost no time in the forums, peeking in every now & again. & originally I came to this thread only b/c I was unhappy about the IY4E & Open Sea fansub & wanted to know if any other groups were working on it. But I kept coming back. By chance to encounter such a group of thoughtful & eloquent individuals has been my great pleasure & privilege, & I think it's such a shame that all those posts are gone--hundreds from this thread. But I'm looking forward to spending a bit more time w/ all of you.

& by the way, I was using Opera to view this thread & could have posted the last 20 or 30 posts, since previous pages open automatically at Opera startup, but the browser unexpectedly reset (or something), & all my tabs were gone! Don't know why.

Anyway, I'm about to watch ep10.

アイスル未来

Back again. Ep10 is brilliant. I love Isabella. &, to MrProphet's spoiler question: Yes, indeed.

EricMontreal22 2005-12-20 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
Personally, I love this show. For me, it is the best thing on right now -- because of the story and the complex characters, as well as a wonderful look and great theme music. I don't find George that attractive as a person, but some of what he does gives me a better opinion of him. Watching the raws of episodes 8-10 it seemed that each episode was better than the last.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

misakichii 2005-12-20 19:34

is paradise kiss good? i want to watch it but i don't know if i should. what is it about?

Kaoru Chujo 2005-12-20 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by misakichii
is paradise kiss good? i want to watch it but i don't know if i should. what is it about?

It's based on a manga by Yazawa Ai, who also did Nana, the gritty story that is the most popular girls' manga of the past few years. It has comedy, drama and romance.

It's aimed at older teen girls and is about a pretty but high-strung 18-year-old who is bored and frustrated at school and falls in with a group of students from a fashion high-school, who choose her to be their model. It's the story of her getting into the fashion world and of her relationship with the leader of the group, a proud but very attractive guy who is a great designer.

The people are complex. You can love them and still get upset with some of them at times. And we have had long debates about whether they are acting correctly or not. There is nothing as gauche as fanservice, but there are a couple of out-and-out sex scenes. It has subtle relationships like Honey & Clover, and a girl striving to succeed like Glass Mask.

The director is Kobayashi Osamu, who did Beck. He uses a lot of sketchy long shots and close-ups to save money, and introduces some weird images here and there. I love the show and everything he does with it, but some other people don't like it at all.

mytrivo 2005-12-20 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by misakichii

Kaoru Chujo did a fantastic job describing it so I won't go there. I'd say definitely give it a shot. Originally I didn't think I'd like Paradise Kiss. The premise of fashion and models didn't appeal to me. But I wanted another show to watch, gave it a try and fell in love with it. :D I don't see fashion as the main focus of the anime. Sure it's what they're involved with, but IMHO, so far, the focus is Yukari and her struggle to find her way. When she meets George, Arashi, Miwako and Isabella she realizes that her life so far isn't what she really wants and maybe she can do something about it.

Catgirls 2005-12-20 21:54

Repost: Avatars

I made these in the old thread and thought I'd repost them if anyone didn't have a chance to save them the first time around.

Static

http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_01.png http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_02.png http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_03.png http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_04.png http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_05.png

http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_06.png http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_07.png http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_08.png http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_09.png http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_10.png

http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_11.png http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_12.gif http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_13.gif http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_14.gif http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_15.gif

http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_16.gif http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_17.gif http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_18.gif http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_19.gif

Animated

http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file...iss_ep1_01.gif http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file...iss_ep1_02.gif http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file...iss_ep1_03.gif http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file...iss_ep1_04.gif

EricMontreal22 2005-12-21 21:01

Does anyone knwo if the second fansub group have given up doing this series?

EricMontreal22 2005-12-21 21:35

Ah I wanted to reuse your excellent movign avatar I used before but when i try to install it it says it's unacceptable :(

E

MrProphet 2005-12-21 23:40

AF doesn't seem to move past episode 4, but nobody is really pushing them. The quality issue with IO stuff seems to have died down.

Catgirls 2005-12-21 23:49

Quote:

Ah I wanted to reuse your excellent movign avatar I used before but when i try to install it it says it's unacceptable :(

Hmmm...it should work. I just checked the file size to make sure and it's a-ok. Maybe try logging off & logging back on. Send me a PM if you still can't get it to work and I'll talk with one of the Admins.

Cheers. :)

aliensporebomb 2005-12-22 08:02

Enjoying the show....

I'm really enjoying the show because situations occur in it much like real life -
nobody gets to have an absolute answer to things, there's always life interfering
with any given situation.

Episode 8 seemed to be a transitory episode (with the obligatory fight) but
Episode 9 really boxed the group into a corner. I can't wait for episode 10
to see how they resolve it.

And some of the characters are very complex - nothing is what it appears to
be.

If anyone told me one of my favorite stories this year would be about a group
of fashion designers I would have laughed them out of the room. But it's true,
this is an excellent series.

Srin Tuar 2005-12-22 12:26

This show arc is an interruption for me.
Im not all that interested in Isabella's past really. (s/he seems to be more of a
reflecting pool for jouji than a full persona )
And I dont really think it matters how the show comes out, win or lose.

I really want to see what happens next between Yukari and Jouji.
After the event that started this whole thing is over, the mask comes off,
and we get to see what he's really all about.... maybe.

Kaoru Chujo 2005-12-23 02:52

Ep11 continues the trend of getting better and better, in my opinion. Not any clearer about what to think of whom, but....
Spoiler for ep11:
EDIT: Check out the winning designs from the ParaKiss fashion contest here. The grand prize winner is shown in the photo of two dresses at the end of ep11. Runners-up are also shown in the ending credits.

(And now I know for sure never to mention....)

MrProphet 2005-12-23 04:15

OMFG! Yukari! The Dress! It was all so perfect! And she did glide like the queen of fashion that she might become!

Spoiler:

One more episode to go... Let's hope the ending stays intact! 8)

cry 2005-12-23 16:28

kawai miwako avatar

http://www.ratbutt.com/Uploader/file..._static_15.gif

can i use this one?

Catgirls 2005-12-23 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by cry

Sure. It's all yours. :)

cry 2005-12-23 17:05

thanks a lot!
miwako is really really cute, and they kept her clothes from the manga, that's great ^ i love her voice and mikako's one too^
(i'd like to see gokinjo monogatari anime...)

deathsvengeance 2005-12-24 11:17

I'd like to see Neighborhood Stories also ; ; I've searched high and low and couldn't find anything except that it is 50 episodes long lol

I read the manga, well, not ALL of it, but most of it and I really loved it.

I really like how Paradise Kiss ties in the other anime, after reading Neighborhood Stories, it gave more depth to Paradise Kiss for me.

[edit]And here's a freebie avatar I made.. its not that great but I think its cute :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...karigeorge.jpg[/edit]

Wellice 2005-12-24 12:34

Yeah, I know what you mean. Ai sensei's first three manga series are all inter-linked together. We've got Ken from Tenshi linking to Gokinjo Monogatari, and then the link of the whole family thing between Miwako and Mikako. I think it's really clever.

Anyways, about the Gokinjo Monogatari anime. I watched a bit of it when I was little but it's imposible to find now. If only a group could pick it up and sub it. *If they find the raw that is*

Personally I think the Parakiss anime could have been done better. It's all a bit rushed to be honest. I know the manga itself was set in a really short amount of time but it was all very detailed and you can clearly see the characters develop. For example, in the Manga Arashi really hated Hiro and was REALLY pissed off that Miwako saw Hiro without telling him. But the way they showed that feeling was really vague in the anime. Arashi didn't even look surprise that Miwako saw Hiro...

Even though I said that I think it could have been better, I still really like it. It's just the fact that I can see everyone moving that's cool. lol

P.S. Arashi's not as fit as he was in the manga. *Cry*

Srin Tuar 2005-12-24 12:41

Comments on ep 11
Spoiler:

EricMontreal22 2005-12-25 05:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wellice
Yeah, I know what you mean. Ai sensei's first three manga series are all inter-linked together. We've got Ken from Tenshi linking to Gokinjo Monogatari, and then the link of the whole family thing between Miwako and Mikako. I think it's really clever.

Anyways, about the Gokinjo Monogatari anime. I watched a bit of it when I was little but it's imposible to find now. If only a group could pick it up and sub it. *If they find the raw that is*

Ya there ar emore ties--there was a side story in vol 5 of Gokinjo about when Mikako was in Jr High and th emain character in the side story had as her tutor a character from Tenshi etc etc.

I have the gokinjo movie (30 mins long) and the Tenshi OAV on DVD from an old fansub and I knwo the first 14 eps of Gokinjo have been done though i can't find them fansubed anywhere. The whole series was just remastered and reissued on DVD in Japan probably to cash in on Yazawa's huge success lately and I'm sitll hoping some digisubber group pics it up

E

Wellice 2005-12-25 10:10

Yeah, Yazawa is getting pretty darn successful. Not that we weren't expecting it but everything's happing for her now. With the Nana movie and then the Parakiss anime. Now Gokinjo Monogatari and Tenshi are both being re-released in manga form. AND the soon to be Nana anime to be aired in Japan around late 2006. X3 Can't wait.

Really, really hope that a fansub group picks up Gokinjo Monogatari. I really have seached everywhere for it. I faintly remember that it was done in a more Yazawa way. You know, the lanky bodies and the lips. ;D

EricMontreal22 2005-12-25 21:07

I thought Nana was set for April? is it now later this year? ah well-I can't wait--i think I like Nana even more than ParaKiss. I heard it would be ina late night slot so will it be in the noitamina block that ParaKiss and before it Honey and Clover will be in? And will anything directly replace ParaKiss in that slot in Jan?

Ya I'm glad Yazawa is gettign so big. But she is special IMHO--i'm a bit tired of most "school girl" manga/anime yet Gokinjo and even Tenshi her first big hit both are somehow refreshing. While not as "mature" as paraKiss Nana becuase they're aimed at the Ribon younger crowd they still have a depth or something to them that I think is missing from many similar Ribon manga (even compared to Marmalade Kiss from the same period, which I enjoyed a lot, Gokinjo is more advanced I think).

It's nice that the major voice actors for Mikako and th eothers in Gokinjo returned to cameo for the voice roles of the same characters in ParaKiss

Ya gokinjo's anime is very fairhful to themanga character designs (to be fair I think Yazawa's style has changed slightly so that the characters aren't quite as lanky--she was at her most extreme for Gokinjo). When the Xmas rush is gone I can maybe work something out with you for my fansub fo the movie (and Tenshi oav), if you still need it or I can try to create and hsot my first torrent or something. *thinks* but the show deserves to be picked up--I guess it's just about someone paying the money for the box set.

I'd also liek to see a subtitled version fo the live action film based on her excellent supernatural manga Last QUarter that was a hit in Japan last year.

E

deathsvengeance 2005-12-26 23:15

I think you mean Marmelade Boy :p I loved that show, its a little less mature than Gokinjo and Parakiss, Yazawa's stuff is more advanced in that aspect for sure.

EricMontreal22 2005-12-27 05:22

Ya--man I shouldn't post after drinking rum and eggnog ;)

(I loved Mar Boy too but ya...)

E

wao 2005-12-27 12:07

I put this off after Mushishi and Noein on my backlog-catchup list, thinking that it might not tur out so nice after all - since, despite all my harping on about how surprised I was, it still has 2 things going against it for my tastes: fashion (as a central theme), and shoujo.

But I must eat my words until I can't eat them anymore. I didn't think it would be this good.

It's already 5 minuets to 1 am, but I have to say that I was just almost wanting to scream "YES!" at the end of episode 9. After I felt a genuine twang of sadness at the end of episode 8. And at the end of episode 10, I'm kicking W**** for not having any copies of 11. WHERE is it?!?!!?!! AAARGH...

And some pointless seiyuu trivia by the way:
-3 people who popped up in FMA:
Yukari's mother was voiced by Izumi Curtis (FMA)'s seiyuu.
Young Isabella was voiced by Alphonse's seiyuu. AKA Taiki AKA Touko AKA Hotaru...
George's mother was voiced by Al and Ed's own mother...

-2 unusual seiyuus from BECK popped up lately: the eccentric Porche Okite (aka. Saitou, the british music-loving fat swimming dude), and Enapou (aka. Kayo the kogal). They popped up in episode 10 (Noriji) and 9 (school nurse) respectively...
-For the record, Minami Maho from BECK has the same seiyuu as Kaori Asou...
-Young George (what a prick indeed) is voiced by Ash Ketchum's Japanese voice.

Also, episode 10 was storyboarded by Rintaro. That name should be familiar to some.

Aaargh ep 11, ep 11... Come on... I can't comment anymore in the extremely dangerous but plausible event that I get socarried away I forget to sleep.

AisuruMirai 2005-12-27 14:30

Quote:

Does anyone knwo if the second fansub group have given up doing this series?

They haven't given up on it. ParaKiss is specifically listed as "Active" at F-B. I looked at the AF-F forum & they were taking a long time to find the OP lyrics for some reason. Also, they recently released a whole bunch of Mahou Shoujo Tai episodes, & a new show called (I think) Itsudatte My Santa. F-B is busy w/ other projects too, of course. I get the impression that AF-F doesn't give up on anything, no matter how slow the progress becomes. For instance, I noticed that they are only working on ep11 of a 26-episode series that ended in June b/c they want someone fluent in Latin to properly translate certain parts.

がんばって、みんあ! I covet your subs. I think that someone else mentioned that the IY4E & Open-Sea subs don't suck anymore, but I'd prefer to have one group's subs. Or: Does anyone know how to hack subs to fix the errors myself?

アイスル未来

Edit: HEY! Wao came back! I didn't refresh the page, so it seemed as if it was while I was writing, but actually it was 2 & a half hours ago.

Okaeri, Wao!

EricMontreal22 2005-12-27 18:05

Wao great to read you changed your mind. To be fair ParaKiss isn't typical shoujo if you ask me--it's more grown up because it's aimed at an older audience (well older than what shoujo is typically animated). The Noitamina slot is I think an experiment to see if Josei anime will work (Josei or older girl manga in general is one of the last areas where popular titles still are very rarely animated just because traditionally there wasn't a huge audience in that subgenre for anime) and so far seems pretty successful artistically and commercially (ParaKiss and Honey and Clover). I wonder if anything is lined up to immediately follow ParaKiss and if the planed Nana anime is set for the same slot

E

Wellice 2005-12-27 19:46

Quote:

I'd also liek to see a subtitled version fo the live action film based on her excellent supernatural manga Last QUarter that was a hit in Japan last year.

E

I've actully got the mvie myself. I've had it for a long time now but I still haven't finished watching it. It's really different from the manga from what I've seen so far. >. < If you want it you can PM me and I'll see what I can do.

I really want to know if the ending's gonna be similar to the manga. I wasn't really impressed with it to be honest. Yawaza sensei doesn't really leave people hanging off a cliff when she finishes her mangas but I really didn't like that ending. It was appropriate but I wasn't happy.

wao 2005-12-28 02:10

Well, I've already expressed that I was liking it before I went off, but I still didn't think it was going to get better.

And EricMontreal22 you're right about the difference between shoujo and josei. And the great thing is that this josei doesn't make itself 'more mature' simply by merit of the sex and the older characters. Some of the issues - such as the mother-child relationships and the balancing of dreams/ambitions with reality - may be found in shoujo shows, but such things in this show don't get solved so easily and aren't portrayed as superficial problems.

I've still got that scene of George pulling back Yukari's bag with that "Don't go" expression on his face etched in my mind. I think it's left a big impression behind, and it's changed my view of Yukari and George very much. It certainly had a big impact on me, anyway.

Also, like I've said enough times, I'm really happy with the direction although I can understand some would dislike it. It takes a certain amount of skill/talent to be able to get this feeling of reality and distance just by the arrangement of items in a scene and a certain camera position. But - I wouldn't have believed myself saying this - credit also must go to the original work. The characters play off each other extremely well, and the events, rushed/shortened as they are (there's no choice), still show a well-thought story underneath. And the basis of the scenes, even the layouts in some of them, must've come from the manga.
I don't know why exactly, but that bit in ep... 10? Yukari running to the car and seeing George sleeping in it. I thought that whole scene was brilliant. It said so much without words. It's rare to find such a quietly powerful scene in normal anime, it seems.

I'm going to watch ep 11 soon...

DaFool 2005-12-28 02:20

Quote:

The Noitamina slot is I think an experiment to see if Josei anime will work (Josei or older girl manga in general is one of the last areas where popular titles still are very rarely animated just because traditionally there wasn't a huge audience in that subgenre for anime) and so far seems pretty successful artistically and commercially (ParaKiss and Honey and Clover). I wonder if anything is lined up to immediately follow ParaKiss and if the planed Nana anime is set for the same slot

I was just aware that Noitamina slot is a prime-time slot, but after checking with mahou's showtime listings:

Paradise Kiss Fall 05 Fuji TV MADHOUSE Friday 12:35AM

I don't think that's primetime. I think the prime reason why josei was only recently animated is because it's probably more cost-effective as a live-action drama. After all, these shows cannot advertise model kits, figurines, doujin games. That's why they really made the effort to actually open up a fashion store.

wao 2005-12-28 02:47

Noitamina was never a prime-time slot, which was why Hachikuro's ratings of over 4% for some episodes was phenomenal for that timeslot; and which is why they've gone on to make a live-action of it and they're planning more shows for Noitamina, from what I hear. If it brings more well-produced, truly enjoyable shows such as this and H&C (with enough variation though!), then I'm all for it.

Didn't anyone take note of the ratings for the show while I was gone? I'm a little too distracted to find them now... but up till ep 6 they were averaging around 3% I think. That's still pretty awesome for an animated show so late in the night. Usually they get around 1%-ish...

EricMontreal22 2005-12-28 07:47

Ya froma ll I've heard they're pleased with the ratings all in all

If anything the budget for recent eps seems better than for early shows so...

E

schoko 2005-12-30 07:31

I just finished ep 5 and i love it.^^

As I had read the manga before I knew that I would like it, so yeah. I did XD

nothing more to say really. except for this: why why why can't I dl this from my school? *sob*

anyway, still love it^^.

beansprouts 2005-12-30 09:08

I had pretty high expectations for Parakiss before the series start, the first few episdoes were kind of disappointing, not that they weren't good, but just not good enough. However, the recent few episodes had been really really good, I am glad to say that I am really enjoying the show right now.

Just watched episode 10, when Yukari first appeared in the dress. I was slightly peeved that the anime didn't show the full version of the dress, probably saving it for the next episode. I don't know much about fashion... but I must say that dress is really, um over the top and costumey.

wao 2005-12-30 10:07

Frankly speaking I am a bit disappointed with episode 11, I thought it was not dynamic enough, despite being a Kobayashi-storyboarded episode. I think while I can certainly credit and praise him for some good points about the show, I must admit there have been some problems still - which is all quite normal, it's still one of the better anime out there IMO. And he's still quite young... this is I think the first project of this type that he's done. (I still don't know why they picked him exactly though.)

reading the synopsis for episode 12, it seems like they're going with the manga ending. And while I think it makes a lot of sense and I'd actually like to see it, it seems a little strange because the story was rushed. It had to be, unfortunately. (however, ultimately I think one season must have worked better for the production schedule, etc.) I think even one more episode still could have helped, but I guess there's just some things that can't be helped.
It's not like there was absolutely no clue of it coming - episode 11 gave off a few warning signs, and I guess if you think about it carefully, it's like Garten said:
Spoiler:

But I shouldn't judge until I actually watch the episode.