AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Tech Support (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   MKV w/ softsubs playback on Samsung LCD UE32D 6530 (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=109563)

tugatosmk 2012-01-11 14:07

MKV w/ softsubs playback on Samsung LCD UE32D 6530

I now have a new LCD at home, it's a Samsung LCD UE32D 6530 and I'm delighted with it. The image quality in HD or Full HD is astonishing to me, and watching video in either format has become a whole new experience to me. It even plays files from my PC via wireless (via router, of course) without CPU power struggles. It even plays mkv with x264 8-bit codec, with play/pause/rewind/fast forward enabled.

But!... apparently it can't read the .ass or .ssa subtitles on the .mkv files. So watching softsubbed mkv anime is now a bittersweet experience, for they are played without subtitles...

I have other alternatives to watch videos on the LCD, like the laptop via HDMi or with the ASUSTeK Media Player I have. But to set up the laptop not only is a lot of work but also I loose the ability to play/pause/rewind/fast forward, which is annoying. The ASUSTek O!Play reads nearly everything, but its softsub playback is limited and not very accurate, like its play/pause/rewind/fast forward abilities. Hence me wishing for my LCD to read softubbed mkv properly...

That said, is there any firmware or something to enable this playback on this LCD? Thanks in advance for the replies.

P.S.: On a side note, is there any way to turn off this Samsung noise reduction option via new firmware?

sneaker 2012-01-11 14:38

I don't have experience with the Samsung D series, but the C series only supports external SRT files. So you would have to extract the subtitles and convert them to srt, losing all styling/positioning in the process.

Personally, I'd get myself some kind of remote for the laptop. Many files will not be playable on the Samsung anyways (10 bit H.264, >level 4.1, Vorbis or FLAC audio, orderer chapters etc.).

Fahd 2012-01-11 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneaker (Post 3943306)
Personally, I'd get myself some kind of remote for the laptop. Many files will not be playable on the Samsung anyways (10 bit H.264, >level 4.1, Vorbis or FLAC audio, orderer chapters etc.).

This is the path of least resistance. Go find yourself something like a Logitech Harmony remote if you don't like the idea of controlling the TV & laptop with separate remote controls. If you're okay with using separate remotes, and you have a smart-phone, then you could probably find an app that controls your playback software on your laptop (e.g. here's one for Media Player Classic & Android).

tugatosmk 2012-01-12 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fahd (Post 3943898)
This is the path of least resistance. Go find yourself something like a Logitech Harmony remote if you don't like the idea of controlling the TV & laptop with separate remote controls. If you're okay with using separate remotes, and you have a smart-phone, then you could probably find an app that controls your playback software on your laptop (e.g. here's one for Media Player Classic & Android).

Very interesting ideas. :) Now, if only I owned a smart-phone... I guess I'l have to get one, lol. :p