AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Halo: 4 (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=104704)

Afternoon Tea 2011-06-06 22:27

Halo: 4

its finally here everyone! All though Bungie will not be making the game. Still I'm a Hard Core fan of the halo series and read all the books and beat everything about halo!
for those who do not know this will take place right after this original scene

Spoiler for Spoiler scene:

Asuras 2011-06-06 22:29

Look like the Forerunners (maybe Precursors?) still have a say in Master Chiefs journey. ;)

Afternoon Tea 2011-06-06 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asuras (Post 3642187)
Look like the Forerunners (maybe Precursors?) still have a say in Master Chiefs journey. ;)

I was thinking Forerunner, I thought the Precursors were dead? But its possible!

Riga92 2011-06-06 22:39

The Chief is back! It's probably a Forerunner structure in the trailer. I'm hoping the game explores more about the Forerunners, I find them interesting.

Kyero Fox 2011-06-06 22:56

What was that sound? oh.. Samus kicking the floor because shes not getting a new game XP

...wait.. a new sound? ... SAMUS! for the love of god put your armor back on! i know the trailer was awesome but.. damn!

SoldierOfDarkness 2011-06-06 23:11

Wow I wonder how long Master Chief has been in sleep for.

Quote:

its finally here everyone! All though Bungie will not be making the game. Still I'm a Hard Core fan of the halo series and read all the books and beat everything about halo!
There'll be a sequel to Ghosts of Onyx too which depicts the aftermath of the covenant-human war.

Alchemist007 2011-06-07 00:30

^Where'd you hear that?

Speaking of books, I so need to read Cryptum when I get the chance.

SilverSyko 2011-06-07 00:33

I see so many comments saying they're just milking the series now. :heh:

Well, being the first game without Bungie's involvement we'll just see how well Microsoft will fare.

Won't be getting it since I don't have a 360, but the Halo series has always been fun to play.

Alchemist007 2011-06-07 00:34

Of course they're milking their #1 IP. It'd be ridiculous not to. On the other hand I haven't gotten tired of it so I have no complaints!

SilverSyko 2011-06-07 00:41

Of course these comments are saying milking it ISN'T a good thing and they should've just let the games end with Reach. :uhoh:

But yeah, if it's Halo it'll pretty much make money guaranteed. No matter what everyone says. :heh:

Riga92 2011-06-07 00:41

Atleast its nowhere near as bad as Activision milking Call of Duty. And after seeing that unimpressive 13 minute demo of MW3, its quite apparent nothing much has changed between MW3 and MW2. I look forward to Halo 4, I have trust in 343 Studios that they won't screw this up. I'm thinking of getting Halo anniversary, but I'll probably save my money for the bigger titles later this year, such as Battlefield 3 and Skyrim.

Alchemist007 2011-06-07 00:46

I'll definitely be getting Anniversary just to see what 343 has. Even though it's mostly graphical/non-story.

yongshun 2011-06-07 00:50

The thing at the end of the teaser looks like Unicron.

Ithekro 2011-06-07 00:56

343? As in Guilty Spark 343?

Riga92 2011-06-07 00:57

Yup, the studio taking over Halo is named after that little bastard :D

SoldierOfDarkness 2011-06-07 00:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alchemist007 (Post 3642335)
^Where'd you hear that?

Speaking of books, I so need to read Cryptum when I get the chance.

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Ghosts_of_Onyx_sequel

Speaking of which,

Since when did Master Chief had Jetpacks on his suit?

Alchemist007 2011-06-07 01:09

Ah I heard Traviss was working on those (I actually read that same page a while back :heh:).

The book I'm currently on is actually by her (Gears of War: Anvil Gate).

I'm presuming the jet pack was mostly for the purposes of the teaser. They usually exaggerate like that :heh:

Khu 2011-06-07 03:00

The awkward moment when you find out you had a jetpack, when for the past 10 years you had to jump to get into secret areas... :|

Alchemist007 2011-06-07 03:18

Chief didn't need no darn jetpacks, but in space explosions...exception is made.

DingoEnderZOE2 2011-06-07 03:36

I was so surprised by this when I saw this but at the same time I remembered seeing Chief drifting towards this large planet at the end of Halo 3 and I was thinking SOMEONE was going to go back to this.....

But alas I'll still end up playing this.

Cub-Sama 2011-06-07 05:24

I'm guessing they finally told chief about the armour powers that had slipped their mind the past 10 years, whoops but at least he gets them now :p

Roger Rambo 2011-06-07 06:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riga92 (Post 3642352)
Atleast its nowhere near as bad as Activision milking Call of Duty. And after seeing that unimpressive 13 minute demo of MW3, its quite apparent nothing much has changed between MW3 and MW2. I look forward to Halo 4, I have trust in 343 Studios that they won't screw this up. I'm thinking of getting Halo anniversary, but I'll probably save my money for the bigger titles later this year, such as Battlefield 3 and Skyrim.

Indeed. At least they're respectfully keeping a two year gap between the major releases. Not doing this yearly churning of a major Halo game every year.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ithekro (Post 3642376)
343? As in Guilty Spark 343?

Yes. That's the name of the studio that Microsoft formed to handle the Halo IP after Bungie began to split with them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness (Post 3642381)
Since when did Master Chief had Jetpacks on his suit?

I think it HAS been mentioned that Chief has manuevering thrusters in his suit in the novel. Not sure.

OTOH, it could simply be that the Armory Sergeant in Halo 2 was gonna tell you about them, but Chief got dragged off to get a medal before he could get the sit rep :heh:

Ithekro 2011-06-07 12:04

He never really gets a minute to check out his armor does he. Maybe that rest period gave him time for a techical journal on his new suit.

Roger Rambo 2011-06-07 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ithekro (Post 3642903)
He never really gets a minute to check out his armor does he. Maybe that rest period gave him time for a techical journal on his new suit.

That is a good point. The impression I get is that after the catastrophe at Reach, the UNSC REALLY needed to find some excuse to give someone a medal for heroism. Oh. And then here comes Master Chief...except his suit looks like shit. That's not good PR material. So they give him a big fancy new suit just for the award ceremony, thinking they'll have time to let him get more in depth with it later...oh and then the Covenant attack earth, and are in fact boarding the station the ceremony is being held :heh: I need a weapon indeed....And an owners manual!

Rennir 2011-06-07 12:36

What kind of gun is he using? Is it just me or is it a new weapon? :heh:

Bonta Kun 2011-06-07 12:44

My favorite pairing in Video gaming(not in the ways you would think) is back!

Can't wait to see what epic adventure the MC and Cortana will partake in this time!

Evil Rick 2011-06-07 15:10

Wonder if the Arbiter will be back.

Roger Rambo 2011-06-07 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rennir (Post 3642946)
What kind of gun is he using? Is it just me or is it a new weapon? :heh:

Looks like a grenade launcher. Only instead of breach loading like most modern launchers, it sticks in the barrel like a WW2 rifle grenade. Though the rest of the configuration reminds me of the HK69A1, especially the stock and slimmed down nature. You should keep in mind that this thing probably isn't designed as a pistol. It's just that Master Chief is big enough (7 feet tall) to swing it around as such one handed. They did something similar with the SMG design (Looks like a machine pistol on a Spartan, a full sized compact weapon on a Marine).

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/2...6screen003.jpg

Asuras 2011-06-07 17:43

Seems slightly mundane considering the level of technology Halo's setting entails.

Ithekro 2011-06-07 18:06

We the humans are still using bullets for the most part.

Roger Rambo 2011-06-07 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asuras (Post 3643290)
Seems slightly mundane considering the level of technology Halo's setting entails.

As opposed to the Assault Rifle which is pretty much equivalent to a 20th century assault rifle...except it's got a built in electronic ammo reader and compass that can work in SPACE! :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ithekro (Post 3643313)
We the humans are still using bullets for the most part.

Well that may be true...but the issue isn't so much that humans still use chemically powered missle throwers. The issue is that despite all the rest of their technology, their guns are seemingly the exact same kind of guns humans use in the 20th century. Which is the REAL reason the humans use guns in Halo. So that the players have a set of weapons which are familiar to them.

It's still silly to have humans flying around with hyper advanced AI, power suits, and huge high tech space ships but still using 20th century firearms. It'd be kind of like like using a nuclear powered aircraft carrier to deploy a flight of Helicopters, which drop off a Marine Battalion...and the Marines jump out of the helicopters firing guns like these. :p

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/987...non14263md.gif

So yeah. I'm not at all surprised that Halo has gone for more familiar, if implausibly primitive weapons. I WILL give them credit on the grenade launcher though. It's configuration is unusual enough that people won't immediately think of it as a mundane present day weapon, and instead think of it as an exotic high tech future weapon, despite not really being more advice. I was impressed with how clever this was.

Ithekro 2011-06-07 19:31

Unless of course they decided that the high tech solutions were either too large, too prone to faults, too costly, or just ineffective against the Covenent verse rapid fire bullets and chemical explosives. Having easy to make weapons does help when you need them verse an enemy that can literally glass your planets from orbit. Means you don't have to have as advanced an infrustructure in place to fight an invasion.

Drake 2011-06-07 20:55

Pretty excited that we get to see what happens to the chief after the events of halo 3 but I have a few concerns and reservations.

First the musically score from the trailer was pretty weak and had little impact which is something all the previous trailers did pretty well. Then all the immediate differences like cortana'a appearance and the look of the chiefs mjolnir considering the events are immediately after the end of 3.

Obviously 343 will want to do thinks how they want and make their mark on the franchise but at the same time they'll put alot of people off if they mess about with the canon.

Roger Rambo 2011-06-07 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ithekro (Post 3643386)
Unless of course they decided that the high tech solutions were either too large, too prone to faults, too costly, or just ineffective against the Covenent verse rapid fire bullets and chemical explosives.

It's rather unlikely that a civilization with the industrial and technological capacity to build fleets of multi kilometer long faster than light traveling Starships, would not be able to equip their regular soldiers with anything better than 20th century weapons due to technical/cost issues.

It simply doesn't make any sense to spend the resources to manufacture a state of the art high tech war ship or aircraft, then to load it up with troops armed with Matchlock muskets.
Quote:

Having easy to make weapons does help when you need them verse an enemy that can literally glass your planets from orbit. Means you don't have to have as advanced an infrustructure in place to fight an invasion.

Except you NEED a high tech inferstructure to fight people who use planet glassing as a strategy. The only way you can stop them is with high tech space combat vessels. If you don't have it you're dead. If you already have the inferstructure it doesn't make much sense to use such primitive weapons.

The reason UNSC weapons are primitive 20th century weapons is because that's what the audience will be familiar with. That's really the extent of it. From a game design perspective their isn't anything wrong with this choice. There really isn't much else explanation :heh:

SoldierOfDarkness 2011-06-07 22:24

Quote:

Unless of course they decided that the high tech solutions were either too large, too prone to faults, too costly, or just ineffective against the Covenent verse rapid fire bullets and chemical explosives. Having easy to make weapons does help when you need them verse an enemy that can literally glass your planets from orbit. Means you don't have to have as advanced an infrustructure in place to fight an invasion.

The only reason why the Covenant were able to steamroll the UNSC was because the UNSC navy fleet was completely outclassed. On average it would take what? 7 Destroyers to take out a single covenant vessel. On ground the UNSC was able to win tactical victories but this was pointless as the Covenant was more interested in glassing the planet anyways. This was also complicated by the fact the Covenant outnumbered the UNSC.

So in reality, the Covenant both outgunned AND outnumbered the UNSC. It was only through the Spartan Program that the UNSC survived and got the Covenant to fracture into two factions that they survived.

During the war the UNSC made hundreds of attempts to replicate salvaged covenant weaponry and all of it was shown in the Spartan program (shields, etc.).

In the novels it was noted that despite the fact that the war had gone on for decades, the UNSC still knew literally nothing about the Covenant and likewise their technology.

Alchemist007 2011-06-07 22:56

It was also their luck to have had the navy that they did, if it wasn't for the insurrectionist fighting, their fleet would be even more stripped. It wouldn't even be a war, just an outright slaughter.

Ithekro 2011-06-07 23:24

The audience can handle energy weapons that have limited ammo. Dark Forces did that a long time ago.

Afternoon Tea 2011-06-07 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Rick (Post 3643121)
Wonder if the Arbiter will be back.

They took a portal back into the milky way galaxy and barely made it through, I dont think Arbiter will find him, but how sweet would it be if Arbiter came in to save chief and drop him back on earth... and for some reason I think Master Chief is going die.. i dont know why..

btw I wouldn't be surprised at the new Human Weapons, I mean the UNSC Forward Unto Dawn was the Fleet Admiral Terrence Hood flagship. I bet that thing is packing some heat.

SoldierOfDarkness 2011-06-08 00:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alchemist007 (Post 3643548)
It was also their luck to have had the navy that they did, if it wasn't for the insurrectionist fighting, their fleet would be even more stripped. It wouldn't even be a war, just an outright slaughter.

True, it was noted that if it wasn't for the insurrectionist the UNSC never would've been taught how to fight or even have the military hardware to at least combat the covenant let alone create the Spartans.

The Spartans were created for the sole purpose of taking out the insurrectionists in one hit.

Quote:

They took a portal back into the milky way galaxy and barely made it through, I dont think Arbiter will find him, but how sweet would it be if Arbiter came in to save chief and drop him back on earth... and for some reason I think Master Chief is going die.. i dont know why..

btw I wouldn't be surprised at the new Human Weapons, I mean the UNSC Forward Unto Dawn was the Fleet Admiral Terrence Hood flagship. I bet that thing is packing some heat.
Except we don't know how long the chief had been in cryo. It could've been centuries in which everyone the Chief knew have died and the Spartans have passed into a legend.

Alchemist007 2011-06-08 00:58

Depending on that amount of time passed, I wonder how Cortana's doing with that whole 7 year rampancy threshold. Wouldn't be shocked if she was fairly ok just for being Cortana.