AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Looking for anime that has magic and set in this day modern era (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=141847)

Yan3242 2016-03-18 05:22

Looking for anime that has magic and set in this day modern era

I can go with any genre (action, slice of life, mystery, etc)

Best example would be fate series i guess, the combat is mostly magic based, set on today modern era.

My watch so far....
- Fate series (ubw and illya)
- hellsing (is not exactly magic focus but still ok for me)
- tokyo raven (favorited, love eastern magic)
- index & railgun (not exactly focus on the magic but i still enjoy it)

BWTraveller 2016-03-18 07:38

There's Campione, which is similar to a couple of those. It's centered on a guy who's gained immortality and divine powers after killing a god.

While I sincerely doubt you'll like it since its mood is QUITE different from the ones you mentioned, Cardcaptor Sakura is certainly set in modern times and centered on the use of magic.

Day Break Illusion has some of this: as far as I understood, there's a set of girls who are manifestations of different tarot cards, and each has an opposite. The world is governed by two primary tarots: the Diablos and the Elemental tarots. The girls are trying to eliminate the dark tarots, but they are truly equal and a girl can be injured or even killed when her opposite is (and if a girl dies no one but her comrades remembers her). It's more magical girl than magic, like Sakura, but it still has a lot of that element to it.

My-HiME is awesome. It is not magical girl, but rather just girls with magical powers, and has awesome music and battles and story.

Dragon Crisis has a secret society in the modern world that collects and uses a variety of magic artifacts, with the main character struggling to deal with the Dragons who are practically made of magic, including an immature dragon girl who's fallen in love with him and a draconic crime lord who wants to make her his at any cost for the sake of the power he'd gain.

Flame of Recca is set in modern times and centers on the last of the Hokage clan, a boy with flame power, and a broad range of artifacts that give their users all kinds of powers.

Tokyo Underground is an awesome series about a hidden underground city containing people who'd developed all kinds of elemental powers from human experimentation, and a boy who descends into this hidden world to save/protect his first love, the girl who restored his life and gave him his power.

Kamisama Dolls may be interpreted as this depending on your perspective. It's certainly good either way.

Madoka Magica is a very famous recent magical girl series that you might like. Just be prepared for some real shocks and revelations.

Strike the Blood might suit your tastes, it's about humans and monsters/demons, and a guy who'd a couple years earlier obtained the power of the ultimate vampire.

Aquarian Age: Sign for Evolution is set in modern time in the midst of a battle between magic and psychic forces that have been battling for millennia, and a young man who'd just unknowingly been thrust into that world with his awakening as a "Mind-breaker", a type of person who can awaken powers in others, strengthen or weaken existing powers, and even sometimes force powers to be used (such as causing a girl's power to form a shield to protect her from an arrow).

Symphogear is sort of borderline, could be viewed as magic or some other kind of "superpower".

Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahou is a series with magic that's largely been translated into programs.

Yu-Shibu may or may not fit since it creates an alternate universe that is basically modern day if fantasy creatures existed and technology developed using magic instead of electricity.

Many, though certainly not all, of these can be found on Crunchyroll.

Yan3242 2016-03-18 07:58

Thankyou =D

kitten320 2016-03-18 20:53

Zetsuen no Tempest is the first one that comes to mind, worth the watch for sure.

FMA maybe? Not exactly magic and nowadays, but pretty close.

Ga-Rei: Zero had magical weapons and beasts. At least they were not normal.

Hunter x Hunter is more about super abilities but it looks almost like magic like lighting strikes and etc.

It really depends on what you define as magic. Cause super powers are technically magic. So if you are ok with super powers, I can try and list some more.

AnimeFangirl 2016-03-19 17:58

Mahoukoukou no Rettousei? It's set slightly in the future so ultra-modern I guess.
Also Kaze no Stigma if it hasn't been recommended already.

And I can't remember the name of the show because I dropped it after one episode, but it had some elite guy tasked with training three girls to take on some monsters and there were jam-covered crotches and people flying in the sky and stuff. That looked magical and modern, sort of. Maybe someone else can help.

Yan3242 2016-03-20 10:24

Definitely putting zetsuen, ga rei zero and kaze no stigma on the list.

Fma and hunter x hunter is not my liking iam afraid

Watching mahoukoukou no rettousei right now, pretty allright so far, love the setting but good gawd this is probably the most op mc i ever seen in anime :rolleyes: the show pretty much doesnt have any intense moment thanks to the mc who just steam rolled everything.... Literally everything :heh:

AnimeFangirl 2016-03-20 18:55

Otaku fantasy wish fulfillment at its finest, that's Mahouka for you :D

AnimeManiac123 2016-03-21 02:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeFangirl (Post 5806052)
Mahoukoukou no Rettousei? It's set slightly in the future so ultra-modern I guess.
Also Kaze no Stigma if it hasn't been recommended already.

And I can't remember the name of the show because I dropped it after one episode, but it had some elite guy tasked with training three girls to take on some monsters and there were jam-covered crotches and people flying in the sky and stuff. That looked magical and modern, sort of. Maybe someone else can help.

That sounds a bit like kuusen madoushi kouhosei kyoukan I think, the anime you were talking about.

SeijiSensei 2016-03-21 07:11

Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san is a slightly off-color comedy about a summoner detective who calls up demons to work on his cases. They look perfectly demonic while at home in the underworld, but when summoned they become chibi characters like this:

Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)

Haak 2016-03-23 18:58

If you like the Fate Series then I'd have to recommend Kara no Kyoukai film series. Written by the same writer and animated by the same studio. It's not a part of the Fate franchise but it is set in the same verse (know as Nasuverse).
Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)
This is pretty much the series that put ufotable on the map in terms of anime production. It's commercial success allowed them to follow it up with Fate Zero and then FSN UBW.

Oh and for the record, I think the term you're looking for is "urban fantasy".

sayde 2016-03-23 19:16

I guess this season's GATE could count. Though it's more of a clash between 2 worlds as oppose to a setting like the index/railgun where magic and supernatural abilities are part of their world already. (Basically, just imagine a modern day military exploring a world with knights, dragons, elves, wizards and other cliche things of that nature).

I guess it's fair to mention that even though there is magic, it doesn't feel like a major focal point of the series or most of it's battles for that matter.

Flower 2016-03-23 20:35

Next season's The Flying Witch might fit the bill for you ... for an older one, you might give the little discussed Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na no Koto a try - also known as "Someday's Dreamers". (If you like season one it has a second season as well by the by.) Also, how about the classic Ghibli movie Kiki's Delivery Service?

SeijiSensei 2016-03-25 22:15

I'll second Someday's Dreamers. I especially liked how this show dealt with the ethics of magic-casting. The follow-on series, Mahou Tsukai...: Natsu no Sora, I found rather dull in comparison.

How about xxxHolic? Does that have magic or just supernatural events? (Are they different?) If the latter qualify, then Hakaba Kitarou might also fit the request, though the world portrayed seems a bit older and more rural, but that was the setting of original comic as well, I believe.

Sackett 2016-03-25 22:55

Ranma 1/2 has low level magic.

Sailor Moon of course is an obvious one.

Oh My Goddess is another obvious one.

Chrono Crusade is set in the 1920s (Roaring Twenties America), is that modern enough for you?

Shakugan no Shana
is another possibility.

Soul Eater
or Read Or Die perhaps?

Yan3242 2016-03-28 10:20

Just finished some of you suggest, having a good time overall.

My friend suggest me this 1 anime but he forgot the name, its not action heavy (the mc cant even fight and its not world destruction setting, just normal days stuff) and the magic setting is heavy on japan mystic. The mc is typical boy on his 16-20 (he said) and a talking white fat cat.

Maybe something pop in your mind guys? Iam drawing blank lol

Flower 2016-03-28 12:12

Natsume's Book of Friends? If that is the series in question it had four seasons, with a fifth coming in the Fall 2016 season.

Yan3242 2016-03-28 20:41

Yeah that one, gonna try 1 season first i guess

cyberdemon 2016-03-29 08:40

well if you're into ecchi there is High School DxD and Shinmai Maou no Testament

Yan3242 2016-03-30 10:14

I find highschool dxd pretty fun to watch.

Testament however... The season 1 is fine but, the echi in season 2 is a bit too much for my taste

AnimeFangirl 2016-04-05 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeManiac123 (Post 5807191)

That sounds a bit like kuusen madoushi kouhosei kyoukan I think, the anime you were talking about.

Yeah, that's the one. I don't recommend it, but it fits the requirements.