AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Lucky Star (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Favourite Lucky Star Quotes (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=46203)

xris 2007-04-20 07:47

Favourite Lucky Star Quotes

A thread for your favorite quotes from Lucky Star. Please don't type out the entire script from an episode :) quote your favourite part of any scene or episode.

This thread will most likely contain spoilers! If you are posting a quote from a recent episode then please use spoiler tags. (hint, [spoiler]text[/spoiler]).

Skane 2007-04-20 08:37

Ep01:
Spoiler for tidiness:

Ep02:
Spoiler for tidiness:

Cheers.

Ffenix Rising 2007-04-20 09:23

It's not so much favorite lines, more like my favorite scene.

Ep01:

Spoiler for Coming Out of The Nurse's Office Scene:

Vexx 2007-04-20 11:00

Ya'll be aware that some of these quotes are .... "not so literal translation though they're in the spirit" courtesy of a.f.k. and others. At least a couple of quotes have substantially different translations depending on which sub is used (and I'd probably come up with yet another).

Ffenix Rising 2007-04-20 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 912267)
Ya'll be aware that some of these quotes are .... "not so literal translation though they're in the spirit" courtesy of a.f.k. and others. At least a couple of quotes have substantially different translations depending on which sub is used (and I'd probably come up with yet another).

Yes of course, AFK's translation may seem loose, but it's the only fansub I watch. Besides, my real favorite line in the Nurse's Office scene is Konata's. Her despondent look and those few words made me laugh-out-loud... I don't know why, but it does.

Vexx 2007-04-20 11:31

Kona's translated quote is about as close as you can get to the original japanese "word" she used and the form she used. It was great.
A.F.K. does a great job of what I'll call "localization" --- carrying the spirit into what an equivalent english-speaking character might say. I just happen to personally prefer things be left as "original to the culture" as possible (especially when the concepts don't directly mesh --- there's a reason we import words like "gestalt" or "tsunami" ... for that matter English is a grand pastiche of other languages -- one reason it is so painful for outsiders to learn well).

Ffenix Rising 2007-04-20 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 912316)
A.F.K. does a great job of what I'll call "localization" --- carrying the spirit into what an equivalent english-speaking character might say. I just happen to personally prefer things be left as "original to the culture" as possible (especially when the concepts don't directly mesh --- there's a reason we import words like "gestalt" or "tsunami" ... for that matter English is a grand pastiche of other languages -- one reason it is so painful for outsiders to learn well).

I agree with you, but AFK's translation on all their works, have been close to the Japanese culture as they can given the limitations of the English language.

Unless they suddenly translate "Soba and udon" into "Laurel and Hardy" (I've seen translations like this in Japanese films in film festivals), I feel they have been pretty consistent and not too liberal with the translations. It's as if the translations are from a learn how to read/speak/write Japanese textbooks.

Besides, I also like their work, because their typesetting is very excellent.:heh:

Vexx 2007-04-20 12:11

I was much happier with their ep 2 translation (though "staring contest" seemed to fit less well than "facemaking contest"). And yes, their typesetting, font choices, and handling of dialog overlap is quite sweet.

ep 2 quote..... "I got a loincloth" .... made me spit my drink...

Kaioshin Sama 2007-04-20 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by xris (Post 912033)
A thread for your favorite quotes from Lucky Star. Please don't type out the entire script from an episode :) quote your favourite part of any scene or episode.

This thread will most likely contain spoilers! If you are posting a quote from a recent episode then please use spoiler tags. (hint, [spoiler]text[/spoiler]).

There aren't likely to be much spoilers Ojisan. The quotes will mostly pertain to jokes and stuff I would imagine given the nature of the series. It doesn't really have any links between episodes like most anime.

Episode 1:

Spoiler:

Episode 2:
Spoiler:

~Tsukuyomi 2007-04-20 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 912380)
I was much happier with their ep 2 translation (though "staring contest" seemed to fit less well than "facemaking contest"). And yes, their typesetting, font choices, and handling of dialog overlap is quite sweet.

Yes, that too made me spit my drink... Now who would ever be proud in retrieving that item???

Ep 2 Quote:

Konata: A great person once said...
Konata: that operating a UFO catcher is like opening a savings accounts.
Kagami: Smart guy...

Ffenix Rising 2007-04-20 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 912380)

Is it me or does AFK's translators has really sensitive ears? I mean, when I saw the original raws, I couldn't even make out what Konata was saying while playing since Tsukasa's voice is a little louder. Konata's mumbling voice is extremely subtle.

Sun-Ku 2007-04-20 16:08

maybe that was in the manga? Dunno.

Risaa 2007-04-20 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ffenix Rising (Post 912650)
Is it me or does AFK's translators has really sensitive ears? I mean, when I saw the original raws, I couldn't even make out what Konata was saying while playing since Tsukasa's voice is a little louder. Konata's mumbling voice is extremely subtle.

The first time I watched it, I didn't realize Konata was even mumbling at all. :heh:

I really like LC's translation of what Akira-sama says at one point in episode 2, "Even monkeys know how to just read from the script." That made me LOL. :heh:

Vexx 2007-04-20 16:21

For some reason both the audio and video quality of the a.f.k. release seemed clearer.... maybe its a source issue???? Only the subbers know for sure :)

Deathkillz 2007-04-20 17:43

minoru ~ "how much is an idol payed?"
akira sama ~ "..." (her face is what makes the joke work so dam well XD)

and yea i would like the quote the entire OP song as well XD

WanderingKnight 2007-04-20 19:03

From episode 2, "Swisshswisshswishshhswishshhenssu" (can't remember what was the exact translation of this in the afk version, it's the quote from Kona-chan in supermarket clerk version).

Vexx 2007-04-20 19:38

In the a.f.k. version, they translated what she said properly but ran it all together, as in:
"That'llbefourhundredninetyfiveyen..."
"Yourchangeistwohundredyen....
"thankyouverymuchcomeagainhaveanicedaywhatever ..."

something like that...

Shiroth 2007-04-20 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 912865)
In the a.f.k. version, they translated what she said properly but ran it all together, as in:
"That'llbefourhundredninetyfiveyen..."
"Yourchangeistwohundredyen....
"thankyouverymuchcomeagainhaveanicedaywhatever ..."

something like that...

I was surprised by how well Kona-chan sounds like me in the same situation.

Michael Hopcroft 2007-04-20 22:34

Spoiler for episode 2's dialogue about dentists:

Simon 2007-04-20 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 912316)
A.F.K. does a great job of what I'll call "localization" --- carrying the spirit into what an equivalent english-speaking character might say. I just happen to personally prefer things be left as "original to the culture" as possible

Yeah, I'm the same - case in point being my favourite line from ep2, when the twins imagine Konata working in a bookstore:

Spoiler for ep2:

a.f.k.'s "Ka-ching" makes perfect sense, but it just doesn't have the rib-tickling charm of what's actually said (mind you a lot of that charm comes from how Konata says it - but that's a topic for another thread).

Vexx 2007-04-21 00:10

Konata-chan is the moral equivalent of Igor from Dorktower. His motto is:
"IT MUST BE MINE!!!"
(www.dorktower.com) been around a few years in print form and a funny take on general hobby fandom.

aye, I'm kind of torn ... a.f.k. does some wonderous work in typesetting, style and in general its just very professional. Their localization translation is *really* good (the "staring contest" versus the "funny face contest" being the only bobble I've noticed) -- I just personally prefer a more literal translation so I keep checking other works.

This is one of those series that I'll probably keep two or more complete sets of from different groups (and buy the R1 release as well).

kj1980 2007-04-21 00:17

Spoiler for Ep. 2:

wwwww

Vexx 2007-04-21 00:24

(snort, die laughing) ....
Spoiler for kj1980 remark on ep 2:

Meophist 2007-04-21 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 913155)

It's on the menu in Canada where I live. At least, used to be. I don't know about anymore, I haven't been to McD in a long while.

Michael Hopcroft 2007-04-21 14:26

Spoiler for ep 2:

That may not be an exact translation, but none of the translations for this series have been exact thus far.

Telliamed 2007-04-21 14:39

Kagami's response is even better...
Spoiler for ep2:

Samatarou 2007-04-21 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 913088)
Konata (stealing omake): GET
a.f.k.'s "Ka-ching" makes perfect sense, but it just doesn't have the rib-tickling charm

I’m surprised they did that, that’s not a Japanese->English translation, it’s an otaku->non-otaku translation.

Meophist 2007-04-21 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samatarou (Post 913937)
I’m surprised they did that, that’s not a Japanese->English translation, it’s an otaku->non-otaku translation.

Is "GET" really an otaku thing? I thought it was just one of those words taken from English.

Vexx 2007-04-21 15:16

Its "engrish" .... A casual japanese sentence may consist of nothing but a verb with a particular form -ending. The rest is implied by the context.

This may be the first anime I end up doing my own translation of because I'm unhappy with particular choices in segments of each and every effort.

Such is how new fansub groups are sprung I guess.

Kaioshin Sama 2007-04-21 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meophist (Post 913962)
Is "GET" really an otaku thing? I thought it was just one of those words taken from English.

Haven't you seen the "SHINE GET" in the Japanese version of Super Mario Sunshine. I wish they had kept it in because it was kind of funny. It caught on with me and is part of my vocabulary now.

WanderingKnight 2007-04-21 15:28

Quote:

That may not be an exact translation, but none of the translations for this series have been exact thus far.
There isn't, and never will be, something such as an "exact" translation. There is a loss in every translation made.

I'm very fond of afk's translation, mainly because, being a translation student, their versions are the most professional ones, the ones that require less "extra" knowledge from the viewer. But, everyone is free to watch what they like. However, for quotes I'll probably stick with the original Japanese, to cause as less confusion as possible.

Meophist 2007-04-21 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama (Post 913982)
Haven't you seen the "SHINE GET" in the Japanese version of Super Mario Sunshine. I wish they had kept it in because it was kind of funny. It caught on with me and is part of my vocabulary now.

Mario is a pretty mainstream game, that type of grammar isn't uncommon in Japanese. Pokemon's slogan in Japan was (basically) "Pokemon GET".

Risaa 2007-04-21 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 913088)
Spoiler for ep2:

a.f.k.'s "Ka-ching" makes perfect sense, but it just doesn't have the rib-tickling charm of what's actually said (mind you a lot of that charm comes from how Konata says it - but that's a topic for another thread).

I admit, I *snorked* at that. In this case I'd rather that they had kept the GET and just added a note for non-otaku explaining it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 913979)
This may be the first anime I end up doing my own translation of because I'm unhappy with particular choices in segments of each and every effort.

It may kill me, but I'm thinking of doing the same, for the same reason. The more and more Japanese I learn, the more and more discontent I get with translations not being right on the dot and easy to understand. (And it's not helping that I seem to be getting ignored by one of the sub groups I'm trying to join. :heh: )

OK, enough rambling. As for my quote, it's my favorite from eppy 1:
"KYOODAAIIINNN!!!!" :heh:

The way Kona-chan sings it is so genki and hilarious, I can't even get through one day without thinking of shouting it out at least once. :eyespin:

Michael Hopcroft 2007-04-21 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telliamed (Post 913934)
Kagami's response is even better...
Spoiler for ep2:

The weird thing is that Kona-chan is the one I foresee becoming rich and famous later in life, as a seiyuu, movie producer, mangaka, or H-game designer, while Kagami must toil away as an office lady or a neglected housewife.

Which would be proof that virtue never goes unpunished. ;)

kj1980 2007-04-22 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 913155)

Yes it is. And as an added trivia, McDonald's Japan is a separate company under McDonald's Holdings Japan, so they have a very high independence on services and quality compared to the McDonald's in the US. Furthermore, it also helps establish a firm customer base by offering free smiles (or so they claim on their corporate philosophy) of the global McDonald's motto "we love to make you smile" (or some variant of that sort).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meophist (Post 913962)

Similar to how you guys use the word "teh win" [sic]

DJ_RockmanX 2007-04-22 03:09

I'm totally with Konata on this one:
Spoiler for Ep.2, afk's version used:

WanderingKnight 2007-04-22 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by random_passerby (Post 914850)

Actually, I heard about it on the radio the very day after watching that episode. It was kind of creepy, really. It's like Konata transporting her consciousness all through the Pacific Ocean...:uhoh:

Darklightz 2007-04-22 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by random_passerby (Post 914850)

Actually blogging and chatting on the internet is hurting people's writing skills as they learn to type in l33t.A lot of schools are repoting how students are actually writing the same way they do in chatrooms

Skane 2007-04-22 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darklightz (Post 915254)
Actually blogging and chatting on the internet is hurting people's writing skills as they learn to type in l33t.A lot of schools are repoting how students are actually writing the same way they do in chatrooms

That's not the Internet's fault. I actually learnt a lot of new words from browsing through the Internet, and "Dictionary.com" is one of my most frequently used plug-ins when I need to check out a word I am not familiar with.

The Internet is a tool. Use it properly, and it will serve you well. It's only when you stop caring about improving your language skills, will you then start learning the "wrong things".

Cheers.

Vexx 2007-04-22 12:03

For some reason I take great pleasure in grading papers where where "1337" or texting style is used. "OBJECTION!!!!"

People need to understand that different writing and speaking styles are *expected* depending on the context of the situation (sound familiar?).

Kona and Skane are correct --- the Internet *can* be a source of improvement, but only if you're not a lazy ass about communicating clearly.