AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Cherry Tree High Comedy Club ~Laugh and the world laughs with you~ (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=113995)

MrTerrorist 2012-08-07 11:38

Cherry Tree High Comedy Club ~Laugh and the world laughs with you~

Overview:
Comedy fanatic and high school student Miley Verisse has decided to set up a comedy club in her school, but her nemesis and the head of the student council, Octavia Richmond, isn’t about to make things easy… The school rules require a minimum of 5 students to set up a new club and Miley is 3 people short! Spring break has just started and Miley has until the end of April to recruit the 3 new members she needs to start the club or Octavia will have the last laugh!

Guide Miley through idyllic Cherry Tree Town as she makes new friends and endeavors to persuade them to join her high school comedy club in this anime-style comic adventure game.

Explore the town and level up Miley’s repertoire of conversational topics by performing different activities such as reading books, watching TV, and visiting the art gallery, then apply those skills to persuade potential recruits to join your new club. Some skills require money to level up, so you will need to find part time jobs such as cleaning the local temple, picking up discarded bottles and making jewelry accessories.

Developed by doujin circle 773 (“Nanami)”, Cherry Tree High Comedy Club features a host of quirky characters, catchy music, and is a must-play for fans of anime and manga and, of course, for anyone who wants to smile!

I read about this game on Anime News Network. So i went and download the demo version to play it. Surprisingly, i enjoy it. Despite the fact the game has been Woolseyism, the english script is great thank to the fact the translations was done by the same guys who did work on the Phoenix Wright games. The game is simple to play and i like the main character. She sorta reminds me of Miya Tachibana to the point i'm hearing Kana Asumi speaking when she speaks.

Anyway, i haven't bought the game yet since i'm waiting until the price drops or a Discount code for the game.

If your interested in buying the game, you can get it on the official website, GamersGate, GameStop or Capcom Digital Store. The game will also be coming soon on GameTap, Impulse, GameFly and Steam.

And here's some other links.
Official English Website (Includes character bios, screenshots and FAQs including the translation.)
Official Japanese website of the game and it's spin-off Aye-Aye Girls
Review by ANN

risingstar3110 2012-08-08 10:14

Is there romances in this game? ^_^

It's hard to believe a Japanese doujin game without romance, i means (fighting and shooting games aside)

MrTerrorist 2012-08-08 11:52

I'm not sure. What i do know is the goal of the game is get some friends to join your club before the deadline. But your friends will only join the club if your relationship levels are high.

And what's so hard to believe a Japanese doujin game without romance? Remember Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale?

Shakiga 2012-08-09 05:41

Why did they change their Japanese name... I wonder if this will cause some awkward moment...

MrTerrorist 2012-08-09 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shakiga (Post 4296759)
Why did they change their Japanese name... I wonder if this will cause some awkward moment...

From the Translation FAQ

Quote:

Q. What changes were made? How close is it to the Japanese?

Tweaks were made to make the English flow, but we worked hard to maintain consistency with the Japanese dialogue, in meaning and especially the tone. Tone is particularly important in CTHCC not only because of the comedic nature of the game, but there is pathos in each of the character’s storylines – usually some kind of sadness they carry that is explored and resolved.

In Japanese, the game is light-hearted and fun along the way, with some sad or reflective beats and then the emotional pay-offs come when the characters are recruited. We believe we’ve done a good job of preserving these in the English localization.

The dialogue itself is faithful to the Japanese and there were no changes to the plots or story. The characterizations are the same as the Japanese, even for the Merry family who were Canadian (and therefore foreigners) in the Japanese version, but changed to Swedish in the English version – culturally they are Swedish, but they still speak with accents and have the same personalities traits as their Japanese counterparts.

The only in-game graphics that were changed were shop signs and one of the conversation topic icons: the ‘History’ topic was a spinning top, which is iconic for traditional culture in Japan, but means little overseas; this was replaced with a scroll for the regular dialogue menus.

By far, the biggest changes were 1) the overall setting and, for consistency’s sake, the character names, food names, etc. and 2) the humor only where the Japanese humor would have been awkward or simply not worked well in English.

risingstar3110 2012-08-09 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTerrorist (Post 4295731)
I'm not sure. What i do know is the goal of the game is get some friends to join your club before the deadline. But your friends will only join the club if your relationship levels are high.

And what's so hard to believe a Japanese doujin game without romance? Remember Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale?

I... thought it has romance and i missed it... Cleared the game without setting foots much on the dungeon, so thought the mercenaries are romance candidate...

Still, wasn't it love which changed Tear's mind to staying back with Recetta? :p

JohnNiles 2012-08-09 10:06

I played it and enjoyed it somewhat, though the game is kind of short, but it's ok for its price ($8?). It's funny, but the humor is all in the situations- no actual jokes are told, which is kind of ironic. You spend most of your time choosing conversation topics (history, sports, movies, etc.) to try and raise the interest level of a potential recruit to max. When the interest level goes up a notch, you get a little cutscene with the person and learn more about their background. The cutscenes are the best part- the game mechanics are kind of annoying.

The game ends on the day of the deadline and there is no epilogue, so it ends kind of abruptly.

There is no romance, but there is a scene where Miley says "C'mere and gimme some sugar!" with a *_* face. Ehehehe.

My favorite character was the foreigner- she has a rabbit's mouth and a fang. I kind of wish Octavia was a recruitable character- it would've shaken things up.

MrTerrorist 2012-08-14 00:34

^That's good to know. Now i'll just have to wait until a discount code is given for this game.