AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Tech Support (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Omfg This Is Bullsh*t!!! (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=50830)

kameha4th 2007-07-11 03:00

Omfg This Is Bullsh*t!!!

I have an external hard driva ,a seagate 160 GB . What happened is for no apperent reason when i tried to acces it on my computer ( its drive name is Local Disk F) i get an error saying "drive not formatted , would you like to format it now?)"

HELL NO

all of my anime is in there as in EVERY SINGLE THING . My hard work for 5 years all was gone in a blink.

If anyone can make a solution for this i will greatly appreciate it.

TY:(

Phantom-Takaya 2007-07-11 03:12

Well, first of all, what was the last thing you did with it? Did you disconnect it during a transfer, etc?

Second, have you tried hooking it up to another computer to see if it'll work out just fine? Related to testing it like that, you can hook it up as an internal hard drive to your computer to see if your computer will recognize it as a partitioned drive.

After that, we can go from there. I'm sure others will have their inputs.

kameha4th 2007-07-11 03:14

cyclic redundancy check error....

When i try to download some random torrents or may be juz ( Zombie Loan ep.1) it stops in the middle of the download and says "cyclic redundancy check error ,read failes flush failes) <------ _something like that ) and i store all of my torrents at my seagate 160 GB external hard drive. Can some one please help me with this problem.:confused:

Jinto 2007-07-11 03:15

Possibly the actuator arm for reading/writing data on the disk is damaged or the ATA/SATA to USB device is damaged, thus it cannot read out the filesystem data. If you have Linux try to copy the first few megabytes of the disk with dd in a file on one of your local PC hdds (if you can manage to somehow mount that drive). If this file is filled up with nothing but 0's then you know what to blame.
If there is other data (beside 0's) in the file, rescue software might be able to recover some/all data.
Another way to get a first overview on the drive is dskprobe.exe - a Windows tool from Microsoft (freeware afaik).

kameha4th 2007-07-11 03:21

@phantom i always juz plugged it in and never plug it out ( the last time i ever plugged it out was like last year)

@jinto lin i think test disk might do the trick for this one cause ive been searching in google and test disk is mostly what people recommends..

Jinto 2007-07-11 03:34

Of course you can try that one too (though a quick test with that program resulted in only finding my primary disk... I hope you have more luck with the program)

grey_moon 2007-07-11 06:26

If you are using windows you may want to try what is in this other thread to try to recover your data. Remember data recovery programs generally don't alter what is on a broken disk, but a repair program will and may cause even more damage to your data.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...100#post992100

SeijiSensei 2007-07-11 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by kameha4th (Post 1036942)
@phantom i always juz plugged it in and never plug it out ( the last time i ever plugged it out was like last year)

If you haven't unplugged the disk yet, try unplugging it and replugging it. Make sure Windows pops up its "new hardware found" message. You should hear a "ding-dong" chime after both actions as well. If that doesn't happen, the drive might be intact, but the USB connection isn't working for some reason. If so, try plugging it into a different USB port. If it's a USB failure of some kind, you can pull the drive out of the enclosure and install it directly into your computer (unless it's a SATA and you don't have a motherboard with SATA).

This is probably not going to solve your problem, but it's sure a lot easier first step than any other I can think of!

kameha4th 2007-07-11 10:17

okay i have recover all of my files ( YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!) and its fully operational.This is because of a recovery tool called Test Disk and it repaired the boot sector on where you supposed to access it from the beginning .

But when i try to download my torrents like from Azureus, in the middle of the download ( also where i always save my anime is at F:/Bittorrent Files which is my external hard drive) i get an error " cyclic redundancy check error, flush fails read fails"

i dont know what to do.... Is it my HD again cause F:/ is the one who just got repaired from the recovery tool..

Also ty for all of u supporting me

killmoms 2007-07-11 10:56

Your hard drive is failing. Back up your data NOW before it is irrevocably lost. The corruption of the boot sector that got fixed was just a harbinger of DRIVE DEATH.

And you should be backing up anyway. Hard drives do not last forever.

Claies 2007-07-11 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by kameha4th (Post 1037260)
okay i have recover all of my files ( YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!) and its fully operational.This is because of a recovery tool called Test Disk and it repaired the boot sector on where you supposed to access it from the beginning .

But when i try to download my torrents like from Azureus, in the middle of the download ( also where i always save my anime is at F:/Bittorrent Files which is my external hard drive) i get an error " cyclic redundancy check error, flush fails read fails"

i dont know what to do.... Is it my HD again cause F:/ is the one who just got repaired from the recovery tool..

Also ty for all of u supporting me

Good. Your hard drive was dying and you were lucky. You need to get a new hard drive.

Potatochobit 2007-07-11 22:41

back it up NOW! lol

then play some hard disk in the trash can basketball.

ive had 3 hard drives fail this past year. they were all over 4 years old and saw some good heavy use.

Claies 2007-07-12 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Potatochobit (Post 1038224)
back it up NOW! lol

then play some hard disk in the trash can basketball.

What a waste...you're supposed to open it up, take the platters out, play frisbee and scratch tests with them, smash the whole pile with a sledgehammer, and finally splash lighter fluid all over it and burn it. Talk about cost-efficiency.

And it keeps your private data from being stolen too. Most of it. :p

Tiberium Wolf 2007-07-12 12:28

Before going to destroy that HDD jus backup your data and the do a low level format on that HDD and see if it happens again. BTW, that external disk is a 3.5 HDD ? If yes try to connected inside the pc. I could be the external case interface that is dieing.

cf18 2007-07-12 12:48

Before throwing it make sure it is not under warrenty. Most external drives only have 1 year, but if it is a regular Seagate drive you put inside an enclosure, you should get 5 years.

masama 2007-07-13 13:18

I would recommend using external drive as temporary storage and burn completed anime or whatever important onto dvds. You just can't trust HDD to be honest, it makes my heart skip a beat whenever I get read errors / hear unusual noises from the hard disk, haven't have much luck with them myself :(

Tiberium Wolf 2007-07-13 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by masama (Post 1040621)
I would recommend using external drive as temporary storage and burn completed anime or whatever important onto dvds. You just can't trust HDD to be honest, it makes my heart skip a beat whenever I get read errors / hear unusual noises from the hard disk, haven't have much luck with them myself :(

Man that same goes to DVDs or other media. The only difference is that if an HDD dies you lose big but in the other hand you have easy, fast e space saving factors when using HDD to stockpile.

problemedchild 2007-07-13 17:49

Buy two 1 TB drives and RAID 0 them? Unless you want to buy tapes instead........

Epyon9283 2007-07-13 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by problemedchild (Post 1040997)
Buy two 1 TB drives and RAID 0 them? Unless you want to buy tapes instead........

I think you mean RAID 1. RAID 0 provides no fault tolerance.

SeijiSensei 2007-07-13 21:27

RAID 0 = "striping" = concatenates two (edit: or more) disks (or partitions) so they appear as one creating a total available storage equal to sum of the disks

RAID 1 = "mirroring" = makes a continous copy of your data onto two (usually equally sized) disks or partitions; the total available storage is equal to the size of either disk/partition since one is a backup of the other

RAID 5 = "don't know a shorthand name for this one" = requires 3 or more (usually equally sized) disks/partitions and writes your data across (N-1) of them; the last disk/partition provides a "parity" check (= 1 or 0 depending on whether the sum of the binary bits across all the other component devices is odd (1) or even (0)). RAID 5 devices can reconstruct a dead drive from the contents of the other (N-1) drives, and hardware RAID 5 devices often allow "hot-swapping" of the dead drive without shutting down the machine.

RAID 10 = uses 4 or more (even number required) partitions/disks to create a RAID 0 stripe across two or more RAID 1 arrays: With 4, 200 GB disks, RAID 10 creates two, 200-GB RAID 1 arrays, and stripes them together to provide 400 GB of continuously-mirrored storage

I like RAID 10 because it provides both performance boosts from RAID0 and redundancy from RAID 1, at the cost of "wasting" half your disks to mirroring. RAID 5 gives you more total storage space since it provides (N-1)*[disk_size] rather than N/2*[disk_size] for RAID 10. The downside of RAID 10 is that your data will be written across all the component RAID 0 devices. If you lose both sides of one of the RAID 1 component arrays, you won't be able to recover your data. RAID 5 gives you more total storage since each disk after the third adds its full capacity to the array. The downside of RAID 5 is that no disk contains a complete image of your data so restoring the array is impossible when there's only one active drive left. (Been there, done that, trust me it's painful.)

Say it together with me now, "RAID is not a substitute for backups."