AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Do you Agree that Anime was invented in Russia and not in Japan? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=119938)

RokokuKankokuChugoku 2013-06-05 12:06

Do you Agree that Anime was invented in Russia and not in Japan?

[Snow Queen made in Russian SSR in 1957] was the first Anime in my opinion. I know it sounds crazy but it makes total sense if you see the facts.

I made a small documentation which runs less than 20 minutes and i recommend to watch it to understand what i mean, since i show you there some facts and comparisons with older animes and todays animes. Do you agree with me?

Akito Kinomoto 2013-06-05 12:17

Anime art style, regardless of origins, is not the same as the technical definition of anime. And the moé-eyed art style isn't ubiquitous to all anime.

Triple_R 2013-06-05 15:39

It's an exceptionally nice piece of animation for its time. That Snow Queen, man - Awesome character design for the 1950s. Thanks for sharing.

Still, it makes me think of Disney as much as it does anime.

Archon_Wing 2013-06-05 15:59

In Soviet Russia, anime watches YOU!

Though in all seriousness, I guess Japan did not hold the monopoly, but didn't anime itself recieve huge influences from Disney and stuff?

relentlessflame 2013-06-05 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archon_Wing (Post 4709551)
Though in all seriousness, I guess Japan did not hold the monopoly, but didn't anime itself recieve huge influences from Disney and stuff?

Yeah, there are interviews with Tezuka where he talks about his influences, and Disney is certainly right up there. I tend to think that, in those days, everything was influencing each other since the industry was in its growth phase. Patterns emerged and common styles formed, but I don't think anything is a copy of anything else. So I don't think "anime was invented in Russia" or anywhere else in particular -- it evolved from many inputs.

DragoonKain3 2013-06-05 16:23

An animated story with (I assume anyways from the original story) opposite gender childhood friends becoming a couple at the end? Sure, why not count it as anime. ;)

Which reminds me, I STILL have to watch the 2005 retelling. Granted English subs only finished last year, but it's still one of the major holes in my list.

Archon_Wing 2013-06-05 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by relentlessflame (Post 4709567)
Yeah, there are interviews with Tezuka where he talks about his influences, and Disney is certainly right up there. I tend to think that, in those days, everything was influencing each other since the industry was in its growth phase. Patterns emerged and common styles formed, but I don't think anything is a copy of anything else. So I don't think "anime was invented in Russia" or anywhere else in particular -- it evolved from many inputs.

It can be said that the origins of many things aren't very clear. Though since anime means to us "Animation from Japan" it doesn't really matter too much. Of course, anime to Japanese means just "animation", and thus they would be extremely confused on why we're discussing this. :heh:

Kyuu 2013-06-05 16:39

That Snow Queen. I shall add her to Mai Waifu collection. :D:D:eyespin:

Ithekro 2013-06-05 17:46

Disney is kind of is the basis for a lot of animation and art styles from the 1930s. Those filtered to many other countries.

NoemiChan 2013-06-06 08:57

Anime is invented by Russia? Hmm... just because they have similarities, we will just assume that it is?

I agree that the animation technique is superb but I can't think of it as Anime.

Anime pertains to Japanese animation and that's it..

GreyZone 2013-06-06 09:12

And next, someone will claim that Dota2 is a "copy" of League of Legends...

Eragon 2013-06-06 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyZone (Post 4710531)
And next, someone will claim that Dota2 is a "copy" of League of Legends...

People already claim it XD It must take a special kind of brain to come up with "Dota 2 is a copy of LoL"

KholdStare 2013-06-06 17:07

I'm not even gonna get baited into choosing the 3rd option. Simply no.

RokokuKankokuChugoku 2013-06-07 04:36

I dont get why you think Snow Queen is more like Disney there are clear differences to early Disney cartoons.

GreyZone 2013-06-07 07:59

I don't get it. The eyes from that russian thing toally don't look like anime... it looks more like "Tom & Jerry" style.

Next people talk about "Did Russia create a Hobbit Movie first?"

relentlessflame 2013-06-07 16:11

This thread is being locked at least temporarily for a topic clean-up, as the thread has been wholly hijacked at this point.