AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Tech Support (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   .rar files, Questions and Answers (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=4453)

blkraven 2004-01-07 01:51

.rar files, Questions and Answers

i was wondering does anyone know where a good decoder is for this type of file i need one.

hhaamu 2004-01-07 02:10

http://www.rarlab.com/

LynnieS 2004-01-07 07:55

I use "WinRAR", which you can get from hhaammu-recommended rarlab.com, and you should also get your hands on software like "QuickPAR" for the PAR2 repair files and "SmartPAR" for the PAR recovery files in case one of the .rar files is corrupted.

MuGeN_BoY 2004-01-07 08:14

rar files are not movie files, you do not need a codec for it, you need a program like winrar to unrar it...

Winrar is like another version of winzip....

blkraven 2004-01-08 01:57

thanks guys i did some research but still wasnt entirly sure of what to do. thanks for the help.

64SON 2004-01-08 02:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkraven
thanks guys i did some research but still wasnt entirly sure of what to do. thanks for the help.

install winrar
open the rar file you got
and extract it
plan simple as that

LynnieS 2004-01-08 06:53

And make sure that you get all of the RAR parts in the archive, or you can't extract anything. However, if you have a PAR file for the archive, which depends on its author to make for others, you can substitute one PAR file for one missing RAR part, but once used, it's gone; you just need the correct application to make this conversion.

You can't substitute a PAR2 file for a missing RAR part, though; PAR2 files are used to correct any problems that may be found within 1+ parts of the RAR archive. WinRAR has a test function that will tell you if 1 or more of the parts are bad.

hhaamu 2004-01-08 07:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynnieS
However, if you have a PAR file for the archive

And remember: if the .rar file(s) are all there, uncorrupted, you don't need any .par files to fix them. You probably won't even have .par files unless you downloaded the file off some newsgroup.

Anyways, try winrar (or some other program if you prefer) first, and disregard LynnieS's advice if you have no idea what .par files are and you don't have them.

LynnieS 2004-01-12 08:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by hhaamu
And remember: if the .rar file(s) are all there, uncorrupted, you don't need any .par files to fix them. You probably won't even have .par files unless you downloaded the file off some newsgroup.

Anyways, try winrar (or some other program if you prefer) first, and disregard LynnieS's advice if you have no idea what .par files are and you don't have them.

Yes. :)

PAR files are only used for recovery of missing RAR files; each PAR file can be used to reconstruct one RAR file that for whatever reason, can't be resent to you.

If you're downloading these RAR files from some website for example, you're not likely to need (or get!) either PAR or PAR2 files since you can just ask the guy running the site to give you the missing or bad piece - assuming that he has them, natch.

Using a PAR file to fix a corrupted RAR file is something of an overkill, IMHO, though. If you're downloading from a newsgroup and after getting all of the .rar files for one archive, found that one of the RAR files is bad, try downloading, if available, a PAR2 file, which can be used to fix the .rar file(s).

askingquestions 2004-02-03 23:34

how do you extract rar files?

how or what do you do? thanks

Vulkar 2004-02-04 00:05

is this a what type are you thread? or is it you asking what you are supposed to do to extract rar files?

If it's a what type thread: I use a program called file-roller to extract rar files, but I don't encounter rar too often. I deal more with .zip.

If this is a what should you do. You should download winrar. Available at http://www.rarlab.com/
Make sure you have all the parts in the same directory (if there are seperate parts) and hit extract.

edit: changed a line in my post because there are multiple OS versions winrar I just discovered.

itsokonneptune 2004-02-09 13:05

.rar Files???

[SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Times New Roman]

WHAT SHOULD I DOWNLOAD TO PLAY A FILE THAT IS .RAR?
I TRIED DOWNLOADING SOME OF THE STUFF FROM THE MEDIA CONFIGURATION
GUIDE. BUT STILL NO LUCK. I CANT FIND ANYTHING TO PLAY IT AND WHEN I
TRY IT ALWAYS SAYS PLEASE MAKE SURE ITS AN MPEG OR AVI OR IT SAYS
NOTHING AND JUST KINDA FREEZES UP. IS THE FILE CORRUPTED? I DONT
THINK SO CUS THIS HAPPENS WITH OTHER .RAR FILES.

IF ANYONE KNOWS THANKS..

ElvenPath 2004-02-09 13:21

1. What is a RAR file

RAR is the native format of WinRAR archiver. Like other archives, RAR files are data containers, they store one or several files in the compressed form. After you downloaded RAR file from Internet, you need to unpack its contents in order to use it.

2. How to handle RAR files

WinRAR provides the complete support for RAR files, so you may both create and unpack them. If you installed WinRAR on your computer and downloaded RAR file from Internet, you may double click on RAR file icon to open it in WinRAR, select all files, press "Extract To" button, enter a destination path and press "OK". Another way is to click on the RAR file in Explorer using the right mouse button. If you enabled "Shell integration" option when installing WinRAR, the file context menu will contain "Extract to ..." item.

Some RAR files can be parts of multi-volume sequences. In WinRAR you can split a huge archive to a few smaller files, which are called volumes. They may have extensions .rar (the first volume), .r00, .r01, ..., or .part1.rar (the first volume), .part2.rar, ..., etc. If you need to unpack volumes, place all them to the same folder and start extraction from the first volume.

3. RAR versus ZIP

Comparing to ZIP file format, RAR provides a number of advanced features: more convenient multipart (multivolume) archives, tight compression including special solid, multimedia and text modes, strong AES-128 encryption, recovery records helping to repair an archive even in case of physical data damage, Unicode support to process non-English file names and a lot more.

tip

Vulkar 2004-02-09 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Forums Rules and FAQ
  • Watch your shift key.
    Do not post in all caps. Please make your posts as readable as possible for other members.

Sorry this is a pet peeve of mine.

itsokonneptune 2004-02-09 17:25

[FONT=Times New Roman]

Thats alot of good info, thank you very much.

Rheinhard 2004-02-15 03:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sway
1. What is a RAR file

RAR is the native format of WinRAR archiver.

2. How to handle RAR files

WinRAR provides the complete support for RAR files, so you may both create and unpack them.

Just wanted to add, for any Mac users, the current version of Stuffit Expander for MacOS seems to handle .rar files quite well. Stuffit is also available for Windows and Linux as well.

eean 2004-02-20 13:40

For linux, you can just use unrar. Type unrar x <name of rar file> to extract the files. The advantage of unrar is that its freeware, other rar programs I've seen are shareware.

squeak6666yw 2004-03-29 23:56

how do i work with .rar

I want to get a .rar file but i can't get it to work. I have a free zip decompressor so it doesn't do enything for .rar files. and i don't know what program i need to get to deal with these type of files.

P.S. i would like it if the program is free please

Kamui4356 2004-03-30 00:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by squeak6666yw
I want to get a .rar file but i can't get it to work. I have a free zip decompressor so it doesn't do enything for .rar files. and i don't know what program i need to get to deal with these type of files.

P.S. i would like it if the program is free please

Try winrar. It's not technically free, but they have a 40 day free trial. I'm sure you could find it for free if you looked hard enough though...

JustAnotherFan 2004-03-30 00:36

Why? There are enough utilities out there that are actually free. Look here.