AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam Models Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

suiton629 2012-09-04 11:57

Cool stuff man.
I am gonna slowly finish up my MG's. I've had them on backlog (most of them started) and many videos I put on private on my YT channel.

When I feel like I have enough done, I'll show them off in a public YT video. =D

Rising Dragon 2012-09-04 11:58

The "Images" tags work just like that--replace those quotation marks with [ ] and end it with the usual /Images. And use the regular image tag within them, the "Images" tag only prevents loading when closed.

StrikeFreedomV2 2012-09-04 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rising Dragon (Post 4335601)
The "Images" tags work just like that--replace those quotation marks with [ ] and end it with the usual /Images. And use the regular image tag within them, the "Images" tag only prevents loading when closed.

It worked, thanks man :D

suiton629 2012-09-04 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrikeFreedomV2 (Post 4335605)
It worked, thanks man :D

Cool pic by the way..

Just wish that MG Wing Gundam Zero Custom had the newer 2012 MG inner frame and a more sturdier backpack, etc. =P

But alas.. Not enough of a Wing fan to get into that. You guys all know my true favorite is 00 followed by Age. :eyespin:

Infinite Zenith 2012-09-04 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxnike629xx (Post 4335609)
You guys all know my true favorite is 00 followed by Age. :eyespin:

I imagine we're well aware of that ;) On a totally unrelated note, I'm going to try and finish the HGUC Physalis over the course of the upcoming weekend, and let it adjourn my research space.

I can't really find many reviews of the HGUC Physalis (all of the places I've checked only reviewed its bigger MG cousin), so if anyone's built it, what are your thoughts on the model (especially with regards to articulation and stability)?

StrikeFreedomV2 2012-09-04 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn (Post 4335879)
I imagine we're well aware of that ;) On a totally unrelated note, I'm going to try and finish the HGUC Physalis over the course of the upcoming weekend, and let it adjourn my research space.

I can't really find many reviews of the HGUC Physalis (all of the places I've checked only reviewed its bigger MG cousin), so if anyone's built it, what are your thoughts on the model (especially with regards to articulation and stability)?

Try tightening the connection of the arms to the shoulder. It's pretty loose on mine. The kit doesn't use any polycaps, all ABS plastic. Overall it's solid, and articulation is pretty decent considering it's design. Just be careful when moving the arms, on mine they are very stiff. If you wan't to display it with it's beamsaber: It doesn't hold it all to well. The arm can hold the shield up sometimes and sometimes not, depending on the angle. I hope, that helps :)

Infinite Zenith 2012-09-04 18:25

That is most useful, so again, many thanks :)

Zeydra 2012-09-04 19:20

I've got a question for owners of the Exia Master Grade. How good is it? And how welcoming and forgiving is it for a first time Master Grade builder? If it helps I plan on using an Action Base for it (I much prefer Gundams in the air because I suck at ground poses).

Secondly, I might as well ask this, how would the Unicorn OVA version be for a first time Master Grade? I suspect it's not all that forgiving due to the transformation so that's why I'm looking at Exia, however if it is I would definitely get that instead, seeing as Unicorn is my favourite Gundam bar none.

Revolutionist 2012-09-04 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeydra (Post 4336046)
I've got a question for owners of the Exia Master Grade. How good is it? And how welcoming and forgiving is it for a first time Master Grade builder? If it helps I plan on using an Action Base for it (I much prefer Gundams in the air because I suck at ground poses).

Secondly, I might as well ask this, how would the Unicorn OVA version be for a first time Master Grade? I suspect it's not all that forgiving due to the transformation so that's why I'm looking at Exia, however if it is I would definitely get that instead, seeing as Unicorn is my favourite Gundam bar none.

MG EXia is a very nice model, HOWEVER I had some issues with the GN blades that go attached to the waist. They basically fall off because what's supposed to hold them in place is just very flimsy. There also some minor issues with the GN Sword and how it holds it, but other than that, it's a solid model. I don't know if I screwed up putting it together or of if these issues are normal.

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2012-09-04 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeydra (Post 4336046)
I've got a question for owners of the Exia Master Grade. How good is it? And how welcoming and forgiving is it for a first time Master Grade builder? If it helps I plan on using an Action Base for it (I much prefer Gundams in the air because I suck at ground poses).

Exia is a decent (if not very good) Master Grade. I might say even better than 00 Qan[T] in some places. Like Revolutionist said, the issue on mine is that the GN Blades holders on Exiaís waist are pretty loose and wigly sometimes. Also, you might find this surprising, but the GN Swordís (the big one) connector to Exiaís arm is looser than its No Grade 1/100 counterpart. Not saying that the connector is really bad though. Thatís all my complain for MG Exia. Some people might say that the crotch & knee joints are weak, but mine doesnít have those problems (note: mine is the trans-am version).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeydra (Post 4336046)
Secondly, I might as well ask this, how would the Unicorn OVA version be for a first time Master Grade? I suspect it's not all that forgiving due to the transformation so that's why I'm looking at Exia, however if it is I would definitely get that instead, seeing as Unicorn is my favourite Gundam bar none.

As someone who already built Unicorn Banshee OVA, I personally advice for the first-timers not to start with MG Unicorn (of any kind). Due to its transformation gimmick, building it might compromise your enjoyment of building your first MG. MG Exia is better though it is a little bit difficult too. If itís up to me, I will try building NG Astraea (the white or the red one) first before MG Exia just to get the hang of it. NG Astraea is also cheap and looks very good.

Hereís some old photos of my MG Exia that I posted here some time ago (for reference):
Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)

maknaedik 2012-09-05 00:47

I can't believe that I'm not seeing any complaints about Exia's ankles. They say it's pretty weak. Though Bandai intended to put it for added articulation, it isn't stable enough for Exia to use it. Mine's not really that weak, it's weak but not as much as they've been saying. Holders for my GN Blades are stable. I haven't had any issues with it. Or amybe because mine's Trans-am version? But I don't think it's a factor.

My only complaint, which might be a complain in most models after playing it so much, is that its hip joint is pretty weak. My Exia wants to split in every opportunity that it gets.

Zeydra 2012-09-05 00:51

Hmm, looks like I might want to pick a easier first master grade. The store I was previously looking at didn't have it, but another has the AGE-1 Normal for the same price as Exia would have cost me, would that be a better pick for a first Master Grade?

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2012-09-05 01:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeydra (Post 4336422)
The store I was previously looking at didn't have it, but another has the AGE-1 Normal for the same price as Exia would have cost me, would that be a better pick for a first Master Grade?

I'd say yes. From what I've heard, MG AGE-1 Normal (or any of its alternate forms) is pretty easy for first-timers coz it's not as complex as other recent MGs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maknaedik (Post 4336415)
I can't believe that I'm not seeing any complaints about Exia's ankles. They say it's pretty weak. Though Bandai intended to put it for added articulation, it isn't stable enough for Exia to use it. Mine's not really that weak, it's weak but not as much as they've been saying.

Yup, I didn't complain about my MG Exia's ankle joints coz mine are pretty solid (see the pic of my Exia standing on just one leg above). In fact, I don't have any trouble whatsoever with my Exia's legs & crotch. ;)

maknaedik 2012-09-05 01:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor (Post 4336437)
I'd say yes. From what I've heard, MG AGE-1 Normal (or any of its alternate forms) is pretty easy for first-timers coz it's not as complex as other recent MGs.

@Maknaedik
Yup, I didn't complain about my MG Exia's ankle joints coz mine are pretty solid (see the pic of my Exia standing on just one leg above). In fact, I don't have any trouble whatsoever with my Exia's legs & crotch. ;)

Maybe since Exia Trans-am has a special coating? LOL!

@Zeydra
Easy and enjoyable master grade? The first thing that comes into my mind are Age MGs, but you won't enjoy any inner frame details because they lack those.

I want to recommend Zaku or RX-78-2 2.0, but I suppose they aren't your taste right?

StrikeFreedomV2 2012-09-05 01:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeydra (Post 4336422)
Hmm, looks like I might want to pick a easier first master grade. The store I was previously looking at didn't have it, but another has the AGE-1 Normal for the same price as Exia would have cost me, would that be a better pick for a first Master Grade?

Do you like SEED? If so, I would recommend the Aile Strike or the Freedom. Those were among my first MG's and they are really easy to build and look pretty good once completed. They also come with stands.

FalsePrime 2012-09-05 01:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeydra (Post 4336422)
Hmm, looks like I might want to pick a easier first master grade. The store I was previously looking at didn't have it, but another has the AGE-1 Normal for the same price as Exia would have cost me, would that be a better pick for a first Master Grade?

Can't comment on SEED like some of the others, I haven't built them.

However I can say that MG Age 1 is a great starter. Really simple design not an over amount of panel lines, sturdy and decent weapons.

Nothing to fancy and while it has issues, it over all a decent build.

Zeydra 2012-09-05 03:41

Thanks for the help everyone, it's decided. AGE-1 Normal will, unless it sells out at the store I was talking about or something, be the kit I buy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrikeFreedomV2 (Post 4336448)
Do you like SEED? If so, I would recommend the Aile Strike or the Freedom. Those were among my first MG's and they are really easy to build and look pretty good once completed. They also come with stands.

I do indeed, but alas I have a RG Freedom waiting to be built and I'll admit I'm a little hopeful Strike will get a 2.0 due to the Remaster so I'd like to hold off on that.

bio9205 2012-09-05 03:57

I won't be building kits anytime soon till December, but since we're talking about MGs - I'm planning to buy MG Destiny off a friend, it's in his backlog and he isn't into Gundam as much anymore. Would you guys recommend it as my first MG? I've only built HGs so far. Not planning on painting, probably just filing nub marks and panel lining like I do with my HGs.

RX93-2 2012-09-05 04:26

I own the MG IJ myself and a mate told me it is just as good as that; seeing how MG IJ is still one of the best MG's out there you can't go wrong.
Though I do not have personal experience I can imagine that the wrist might struggle a bit with the giant sword but again, second hand information.
Buildwise the GSD kits are easy to make and give great results.

FWIW my personal recommendation for a first MG is RX-78-2 OYW or 2.0. Easy and good looking kits that have some of the more fun/cool/advanced things under the hood so you can focus on the main body.

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2012-09-05 04:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeydra (Post 4336597)
Thanks for the help everyone, it's decided. AGE-1 Normal will, unless it sells out at the store I was talking about or something, be the kit I buy.

If MG AGE-1 Sold out in that store, here’s a list of alternatives that you can get as your first MG which aren’t too difficult or too old (in order):
MG RX-78-2 Gundam ver. One Year War (there's a docking system here but not so much)
MG RX-178 Mk.II (AEUG ver. OR TITANS ver.)
MG Strike Noir
MG Strike E I.W.S.P. (Lukas custom)
MG Duel
MG Force Impulse Gundam (if you want to experience a MG with a docking-system Gundam)
MG Sword Impulse Gundam (same as above)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bio9205 (Post 4336621)
I won't be building kits anytime soon till December, but since we're talking about MGs - I'm planning to buy MG Destiny off a friend, it's in his backlog and he isn't into Gundam as much anymore. Would you guys recommend it as my first MG? I've only built HGs so far. Not planning on painting, probably just filing nub marks and panel lining like I do with my HGs.

Destiny is okay. Just be careful when you built its crotch & wings. There are some mechanism there that needs your extra attention. MGs & PGs are perfect for those who don't like to paint as they're already look good without it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.