AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   sola (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   sola - Episode 2 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=46417)

xris 2007-04-22 10:07

sola - Episode 2 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for sola, Episode 2.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for raws.
  • Absolutely no spoilers for future events from the manga in the anime thread.
    If you need to reply to someone with a reference to the game or manga, then PM them. Any spoilers, even under the spoiler tags, that reveals future events will be deleted.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread.

Spoiler tags still can be used where one deems appropriate. There are two ways to create clearly marked spoiler tags as they are shown in the following:

The easy way: By simply clicking on this http://forums.animesuki.com/images/a...al/spoiler.gif icon which can be found in the Quick Reply or Reply to Thread template. This is how how grandma does it.
or
The macho way: By writing those l33t vB codes as shown in the following...

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title, i.e. your reason for the spoiler tag]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:

Skane 2007-04-24 07:31

Copy-pasta from the Generic Thread,
Spoiler for saving space:

The following is based on [Doremi]'s fansub, hence my "lateness" in making this post.

Random Thoughts on Ep02:
  • Several things went through my mind when Matsuri did that hang-time. From Michael Jordan to the song, "I Believe I Can Fly". :heh:
  • I found it interesting that Takeshi is keeping Matsuri out of Mayuko's sight. Mayuko is well-aware of what Takeshi is hunting, so the most plausible reason to do so is because Mayuko knows Matsuri, but doesn't know that Matsuri is the "Night Plague".

That would be a rather interesting development, and an eventual explanation on the relationship between Matsuri and Mayuko would be welcomed.
  • Where the heck does Takeshi sleep anyway? Or is it going to be one of those, "We leave it up to your imagination" kind of scenarios? :p
  • Matsuri's power seems to be accelerated decay. If we tie this to her comment to Yorito (about eventually hating her), what if things around her passively decay at an accelerated rate (just not as fast as when she actively uses it)? It would befit her title of "Plague of the Night".

Continuing on that note, what if Matsuri's presence hastens Aono's condition? Making Aono closer to her death-bed would certainly trigger all sorts of angst in Yorito. :heh: His sister, or his potential lover. :p
  • Also, what fuels Matsuri's immortality? In most storylines, short of being a God, immortality usually requires some sort of sacrifice. What if Matsuri requires the draining of lifespans to fuel her's?

I highly doubt there is no catch with her immortality. I will probably come back to this plot point in future episodes.
  • I'm wondering why the previews are called previews. :heh:
  • Going on a tangent here, but I have noticed from the ED and promotional artwork that Aono seems to get a lot of presence. I guess she is going to play an important role later on?
Yes, I am aware that [Doremi] chose "Calamity of the Night", but I prefer Omni's usage of "Plague of the Night" as it sounds more poetic, and rolls better on the tongue. Also, "Plague" has the ominous meaning of the European "Black Death" that wiped out around half or more of Europe's population. With Takeshi's grim tone in saying it, I feel "Plague" lends more weight to his description.

Cheers.

kct 2007-04-24 07:41

Of course, the best part of the episode is that...

Spoiler for Matsuri:

Ascaloth 2007-04-24 09:50

Bringing over my thoughts from the Generic thread,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascaloth (Post 904068)
Finally watched the Lunar .avi, and I must say something; Lunar screwed up. :heh:
Take a look at the Episode 3 preview around 23:49, and you'll see what I mean. Ah well, guess I'll have to go onto their IRC board and inform them of the mistake.

Anyway, Episode 2 seems to go at a relaxed pace after the first few minutes of action at the beginning, and spends most of its time on character development. Most of what I would wish to say here is already said, though, so I'll not be a broken record.

Some observations:

1) Matsuri refers to herself as "ore".

:twitch:

Yes, one step higher on "Uguu~, boku Ayu". To quote Jason Miao of AoMM, "I don’t care anymore. Just shoot me. No way there’s a penis on this. None. I won’t accept it."

2) Aono sure is an attention whore. And she's the onee-chan here? She must have some serious issues. :hmm:

3) I'm surprised Matsuri hasn't been taken in by the police for vandalism of public property yet. :heh:

4) The Takeshi-Mayuko duo sure is strange. Miss Goth-Loli is reduced to sleeping in a box, yet they apparently have the resources to dine at a fairly high-class restaurant? I thought the onigiri of the first episode meant they were on a tight budget here.

Well, all is said and done, so this one gets....an 8. Yeah, it should be okay.

babuji 2007-04-25 06:51

isn't ore usually used for guys such as boku. If memory serve me well to my teen age...atashi and watashi are usually for girls unless they are being more assertive and only then they will use boku and ore...but to me Matsuri seems a little too girlish to have use that word...it destroys the cuteness.

Ascaloth 2007-04-25 06:58

@babuji,

Actually, it was a mistake on my part, and it's all been cleared up in the General Discussion thread. Matsuri didn't use 'ore'. :p

babuji 2007-04-25 07:00

lol, knew it.

:) i didn't observe it too well too.

But you replied fast.

babuji 2007-04-25 07:02

hey your signature is the cuteness of Matsuri.

Kaioshin Sama 2007-05-13 12:39

This is going to be good:
Spoiler:

Overall: Very good showing from this former(?) Key writer. If this is indeed the person who wrote Kanon, he has improved tremendously. This series staves off the typical antics and moe driven episodes that plague the early parts of Kanon and other such stories, and goes for real character development and a plot that raises questions you want to stick around to have answered. A rarity with genuine quality and intrigue that does not come often in this genre Easily the most surprising series of the summer for me and I think I'm going to give this episode an 8.

Telliamed 2007-05-13 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama (Post 944828)
I don't care where you are in Japan, but thankfully this series knows that girl don't outnumber guys 10:1.

Nope, only 4:1.

Quote:

Mana: Apparently says hello twice when entering her place of work.
Yeah, that is a bit strange. Possibly an editing gaff. But what I just noticed is that Doremi subtitled this as "Good morning!" Uh.... it's night time.

Quote:

Overall: Very good showing from this former(?) Key writer. If this is indeed the person who wrote Kanon, he has improved tremendously.
Half of Kanon. Hisaya wrote ... bah, can't find it now, but I know he wrote Shiori and two others, I think Mai and Nayuki. Maeda did the rest. And this is the game, of course, I don't think they were directly involved with the television scripts.

You'll get plenty of moe in episodes 3, 4, and the first half of 5.

Skane 2007-05-13 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telliamed (Post 945417)
~
Half of Kanon. Hisaya wrote ... bah, can't find it now, but I know he wrote Shiori and two others, I think Mai and Nayuki. Maeda did the rest. And this is the game, of course, I don't think they were directly involved with the television scripts.
~

He aided Maeda in the scripting for the three "happiest" stories in Kanon. Nayuki, Ayu and Shiori. Maeda was the one who solely did the two "bleakest" stories in Kanon, Mai and Makoto.

Cheers.

Kaioshin Sama 2007-05-14 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telliamed (Post 945417)
Nope, only 4:1.

Yeah, that is a bit strange. Possibly an editing gaff. But what I just noticed is that Doremi subtitled this as "Good morning!" Uh.... it's night time.

You'll get plenty of moe in episodes 3, 4, and the first half of 5.

Hmmm, well Shiori and Mai are the only interesting stories I've found, even if the Mai character is somewhat dry. Nayuki, I like the character design, but the stories just passable so she can go either way to be honest. Ayu and Makoto are kind of bleh. Honestly, I think this Hisaya fellow was the better half of the team if this is the case. It doesn't surprise me if he did in fact do Mai though as that's the most action I've seen in Kanon so far and sola has quite a bit of action in these first two episodes (for the type of series it is).

edit: Oops apparently he only aided this Maeda with Shiori, Ayu and Nayuki. Hmmm. 1.5/3 good stories vs. 1/2. So they are about equal, but I still prefer sola to Kanon any day.

Ascaloth 2007-05-14 10:23

Kanon is a 1999 story. Sola is a 2007 story.

Keep that in mind. And don't tell me it makes no difference; npal tried that defense. It DOES make a difference. ;)

Kaioshin Sama 2007-05-14 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascaloth (Post 945943)
Kanon is a 1999 story. Sola is a 2007 story.

Keep that in mind. And don't tell me it makes no difference; npal tried that defense. It DOES make a difference. ;)

Look if Turn A Gundam came out in 1999 and there hasn't been a truly great Gundam since, then I know it makes a difference what year a story was made in.

Ascaloth 2007-05-14 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama (Post 946027)
Look if Turn A Gundam came out in 1999 and there hasn't been a truly great Gundam since, then I know it makes a difference what year a story was made in.

That's out of context.....still, whatever floats your boat, Kaioshin-chan. ;)

Kaioshin Sama 2007-05-14 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascaloth (Post 946498)
That's out of context.....still, whatever floats your boat, Kaioshin-chan. ;)

Okay let me try again, Yoshiyuki Tomino's Victory Gundam was an incredibly depressing and bleak look at the future of the Universal Century, which made the future beyond even that seem utterly hopeless and doomed to an endless cycle of war. 6 years later Yoshiyuki Tomino returned to Gundam with Turn A Gundam and you would hardly believe the same man was at the helm, because it ended with everybody, but one character finding peace and happiness and the future looked incredibly hopeful for the Earthrace and Moonrace. So the experiences a writer/director has as well the changes in his/her outlook on the world can have a tremendous effect on their work in a short amount of time.

Ascaloth 2007-05-14 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama (Post 946548)
Okay let me try again, Yoshiyuki Tomino's Victory Gundam was an incredibly depressing and bleak look at the future of the Universal Century, which made the future beyond even that seem utterly hopeless and doomed to an endless cycle of war. 6 years later Yoshiyuki Tomino returned to Gundam with Turn A Gundam and you would hardly believe the same man was at the helm, because it ended with everybody, but one character finding peace and happiness and the future looked incredibly hopeful for the Earthrace and Moonrace. So the experiences a writer/director has as well the changes in his/her outlook on the world can have a tremendous effect on their work in a short amount of time.

Precisely!!! Which is why AIR has been considered by many to be better than Kanon, and CLANNAD in turn has been considered better than the both of them, and why you said yourself that Sola is better than...

Wait. What are we doing?! We're arguing the same point here! >_< *slaps head*