AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Military Uniforms! ( or WWI/II Aesthetics ? ) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=84906)

villainy vs heroism 2009-08-06 17:44

Military Uniforms! ( or WWI/II Aesthetics ? )

Basically, I've been getting into costume design, and have suddenly developed a big-time appreciation for military uniforms, of the sort prevalent in WWI and II eras (so, not so much modern camo, please). Nothing makes them look as good as anime embelishment, so . . .

Can anyone suggest any animes and mangas that use this same aesthetic?

I'm already aware of Axis Powers Hetalia, Hellsing, and Full Metal Alchemist using these sorts of styles. And while those come from different categories, I'm more concerned with appearance than genre, so feel free to suggest animes from all across the spectrum.

Thanks!

The Chaos 2009-08-06 17:49

Valkyria Chronicles :)

RadiantBeam 2009-08-06 18:13

Strike Witches, especially since it's an AU spin of WWII. All the characters are based off real-life pilots, and the Striker Units they use are modeled off real-life planes flown during WWII.

Guardian Enzo 2009-08-06 18:52

Oddly, Asura Cryin'. Though it's a modern supernatural school life action show, many have commented that the HS uniforms are reminiscent of WWII German unis.

SeijiSensei 2009-08-06 19:08

Toward the end of Mouryou no Hako there are a couple of episodes which touch on the characters' experiences in WWII. There are a few uniforms displayed there. You might also want to take a look at the uniforms in Toshokan Sensou. There's a bunch of "grunts" in traditional infantry uniforms, and a number of intelligence officers who wear a classier set of clothes.

Ash Falls Town 2009-08-07 04:20

Some of the main characters in Kyo Kara Maoh! wear clothing based on military uniforms.

micheut 2009-08-07 11:18

I'll second Valkyria Chronicles. Amazing game and an amazing Anime.

CeDeR 2009-08-07 11:19

07 ghost....

Saleh 2009-08-07 11:51

Seconding Valkyria Chronicles & Mouryou no Hako.

Allison to Lillia
Last Exile
Sky Crawlers
Pumpkin Scissors

LeoXiao 2009-08-07 15:26

Black Lagoon has, among its various supporting characters, a platoon of badass Soviet special forces troops, you may want to check that out.

AnimeFan188 2009-08-08 00:15

What about Pumpkin Scissors and Fullmetal Alchemist?

ddwkc 2009-08-08 03:59

Zipang is a war anime about a modern Japanese destroyer and its staff being transported to WWII Japan. You will see a contrast of the modern navy military uniforms with the WW2 military uniforms.

In Legend of Galactic Heroes, both sides have distinguish military uniforms. The Alliance has a more modest military attire. There are not that much difference besides insignias and medals. The Empire has a modern twist of the Prussian Era military attire I guess. In the Empire side you will notice more distinguish different depending of the military rank of the soldier. And the Empire changes their military uniform as well when they change their regime. In both case you will see soldiers of various ranks, from the lowly petty officers to the supreme fleet admirals. Although it's a space opera anime, it has a strong grasp of realism in this regard.

Shadow Kira01 2009-08-08 07:34

Generally, you are looking for animes that are centralized on the theme of war but you are not interested in mecha animes as that fits your description perfectly. Most mecha animes nowadays are focused on the issues of politics, war, and terrorism. I don't think I need to suggest any animes for that, instead I will recommend this which isn't mecha-related:

Zipang

Sackett 2009-08-08 08:47

I can't remember which series, but a bunch of mecha anime have WWII type uniforms.

Only one I can think of though is Gundam Wing which more towards Napoleonic style.

Full Metal Panic has WWII style uniforms, although we don't see a lot of it as half the series takes place in civilian life, and another 1/4 are combat fatigues instead of dress uniforms.

The OVA for "The Second Raid" season takes place on the military base though so you'll see a lot of uniforms in that episode I think. Although the OVA won't be nearly as funny if you haven't seen the rest of the series.