AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Older Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   (L) Peacemaker Kurogane FAN CLUB (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=2417)

Ainana 2003-12-09 00:29

Peacemaker Kurogane FAN CLUB

Sorry, I really like Peacemaker Kurogane, and after seeing all the negative crap people put out about it, it really just seems depressing because the series seems so awesome to me.
I'm putting this thread up 1. so fans can discuss PMK without every other post being really negative
and 2. so that people who haven't watched it can see why people who like it like it. There are enough negative posts up elsewhere for them to see why people don't like it.

So for this thread, if you don't like PMK and you just want to dis it, PLEASE don't post.

Thanks.

Ainana 2003-12-09 00:42

Historical Fiction, YAY!

While I love Kenshin, I think I prefer PMK because of it's greater historical accuracy. I mean...to know that most of the people there are really people? And that a lot of REAL historical points are covered in the storyline? How cool is that?

While I can't vouch for accuracy since of course, I'm just websurfing, but
several sites seem to indicate that real characters include:
Kondo, Hijikata, Saitoh, Shinpachi, Harada, the Ichimura brothers including Tetsu, Ryouma, Yoshida, Sannan, Okita...

That's probably over half the cast shown already.

Here's one of the better links...one of the sublinks on top will lead you to some of the info... it's good stuff...really interesting. Plus a picture of Hijikata!
http://www.fifay.biznethosting.com/fifay/

Personally, I find the movement of the graphics beautiful and the bizarre mixture between the bloody realistic violence of the times, and the more peaceful interludes in between from the perspective of innocent tetsunosuke really refreshing. (Besides, the characters do have to be mundane sometimes...I'm sure it wasn't battles every day) The interludes have been complained about by others, but it is really what sets this series apart from a blood bath. It takes time for character development and subtleness in developing plot. Things that happen are not blatantly obvious, little clues are dropped for us to let our imaginations burn wild =)
Not to mention little ironies that just happen....

Ainana 2003-12-09 00:48

One other thing...

Apparently the manga author really paid attention to what details were known about the real people she put in her story. She does embellish of course, but I really appreciate the little nuiances that are historically thought to be true like Okita liking and being very good with children, the ranks of the people within the Shinsengumi and what troops they controlled, the manly roughness of Harada Sanosuke....

monir 2003-12-09 01:16

May I graciously point out to all the glorious members of the PMK Fanclub that there exist a magical button called edit. By clicking that magical button, prevents the necessity of double or even triple posting.

As for PMK, it is evident the animators are really into detail since they have strecthed 2 line worth of story into a 9 episode series. And the question is still being asked, to give Tetsu a sword or not to give Tetsu a sword. Sorry Ainana, I seem to have violated the first rule by posting here (my apparent negative view toward PMK so far) but I have not yet gave up on PMK. I agree with you in most of the things you say about the attention paid in the detail of the characters' development although I dont know if they are historically accurate (more of a figment of imagination by our cursed animators), the possibility of the animators setting up a better story. So far with the mundane routine that possibility still remains a possibility. As for those subtle clues, they are vague to say the least and how are those clues going to advance the story is out of my grasp of understanding. So I will just stop here before I make a fool out of myself or is it too late?

FinFangFoom 2003-12-09 05:03

Well I learned two interesting things about PMK from your post.

1) PMK borrows from real history more than I would have guessed.

2) I did'nt know it was written by a girl.

My opinion is that I do really like the show even though I don't like the main character half the time. I was frustrated at first at how slow the story is developing but now that I know that's how it's gonna be I can enjoy it's pace more now. I don't know how many episodes it's going to be, but at this pace I hope it's 100 or more, otherwise there will probably be a lot of unresolved issues at the end.

BTW the next episode looks like it could turn out to be pretty sweet!

Vulkar 2003-12-09 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinFangFoom

My opinion is that I do really like the show even though I don't like the main character half the time. I was frustrated at first at how slow the story is developing but now that I know that's how it's gonna be I can enjoy it's pace more now. I don't know how many episodes it's going to be, but at this pace I hope it's 100 or more, otherwise there will probably be a lot of unresolved issues at the end.

I guess, I'm one of the few and the proud who also has been enjoying the show (despite horrible Engrish American national anthem in Episode 9...). I don't really mind the slow story because I think the characters of the show are funny and interesting. I like the two samurai, short one with reddish hair and the tall one, (can't remember their names) who attempt to give Tetsu a sword. Those two remind me of Ippo's buddies from Hajime No Ippo. Funny funny guys. Anyway, my main wish is that the pig (Saizo?) beats the crap out of Tetsunoske. I don't really have any animosity towards the chracter. I just want to see the pig lay the smackdown. :p

lighter junkie 2003-12-09 11:34

Yeah, Peace Maker Kurogane is like... my favorite new show at the moment, having read the manga, i liked how there were certain similarities and deviations between the anime and manga, by the way, that Saizo pig thing?.... isn't it getting too much attention these days, aren't those raised to be food instead of pets?...hahaha, anyways, it did has a really angry expression every time i see it.

freedoom 2003-12-09 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by lighter junkie
by the way, that Saizo pig thing?.... isn't it getting too much attention these days, aren't those raised to be food instead of pets?...hahaha, anyways, it did has a really angry expression every time i see it.

<<<<<<<<< did someone say saizo?

Grifis 2003-12-09 18:26

I do like PMK as well. I have to admit it's pretty slow though. This is the first time instead of seeing 10% filler I see about 90% filler and about 10% plot. Alright maybe the main reason why I keep watching is because of Hijikata and Okita. There you have it. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ainana
Here's one of the better links...one of the sublinks on top will lead you to some of the info... it's good stuff...really interesting. Plus a picture of Hijikata!
http://www.fifay.biznethosting.com/fifay/

Thanks for the link. I think this is what I'm looking for.

Grifis

Ainana 2003-12-09 19:13

I think I read somewhere that it was written by a woman, but please don't hold me to it, I've websurfed about the stuff like crazy and I just think they said it was a her when they were talking about PMK as some sort of sequel to Imon Peacemaker...however, its weird, but I think the story covered in our PMK might actually be Imon Peacemaker?

Quote:

bOcyOgl 2003-12-09 19:17

Quote:

sweet as in romantic sweet, or action cool sweet ?

Mithel 2003-12-09 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulkar
(despite horrible Engrish American national anthem in Episode 9...).

Watchoo'taklin'bout Willis? I nearly fell out of my chair, that whole segment was freakin' hilarious.

I wish I knew what the name of that guy with pistol and cowboy hat was, though.

lighter junkie 2003-12-09 21:47

argh, even if the pace is slow, i think it's for the better, they're probably trying to stretch out the story from the manga, cuz i know the first part of the manga is only 6 volumes, and when the second part starts, Tetsu is already all grown up. if this season of Peace Maker Kurogane ends up being the last season, i'd rather they put in some fillers, but not so much, otherwise the quality of the show's gonna be compromised, plus it may drive away potential audiences. me, being the hardcore PMK fan, loved every ep so far, plus, i think there was character development in each ep, esp. Tetsu.

ACE2003 2003-12-09 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by bOcyOgl

Action cool sweet!! I am loving the show, although the story is kind of draggin on when Tetsu will get a sword or not. But I love the action that it brings to the table. The little piggy is funny as heck and so cute! ^_^

bOcyOgl 2003-12-09 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACE2003
Action cool sweet!! I am loving the show, although the story is kind of draggin on when Tetsu will get a sword or not. But I love the action that it brings to the table. The little piggy is funny as heck and so cute! ^_^

yeah, tetsu is already good at fighting with bare hands, especially his head-butt

Ainana 2003-12-09 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithel
Watchoo'taklin'bout Willis? I nearly fell out of my chair, that whole segment was freakin' hilarious.

I wish I knew what the name of that guy with pistol and cowboy hat was, though.

I think his name is like Ryoma something?

I'm not sure, but I think he's this guy:
http://www.ridgebackpress.com/heroes/sakamoto.htm

Also, not really related, but kinda cool when I stumbled upon it:
http://www.samurai-archives.com/women.html#4

look at Tomoe Gozen for a really cool real female warrior

Ainana 2003-12-09 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACE2003

About the little piggy...I thought this was hilarious.
While Scholars disagree whether or not this was one of his names (since some of the Shinsengumi have a ton of names), a possible other name for Hijikata Toshi was Saizo....

which as you know, the author named the pig which is Okita Souji's cute, fat, tempersome, hilarous little pet.

=) Heehee!

FinFangFoom 2003-12-09 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by bOcyOgl

Sweet as in someone fighting a strange giant guy in cloak and a huge bladed spear (Yari or Yuri?) Could be really cool.

I guess im the only one who hates the pig... It would'nt be so bad if it was'nt a persons doing its voice, which doesnt really sound even close to a pig, just annoying.

Jin 2003-12-10 00:48

The most feared police force in Tokugawa history consisted of hundreds of expert swordsmen, each endowed with the official sanction and an unflinching propensity to kill...

So Shinsengumi are bad guys?

kamij0 2003-12-10 00:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jin
The most feared police force in Tokugawa history consisted of hundreds of expert swordsmen, each endowed with the official sanction and an unflinching propensity to kill...

So Shinsengumi are bad guys?

Rather they uphold peace and justice by working for the govt and get rid of radical groups such as choshu. There aint bad or good in those times.