AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam Models Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

AaKkisa 2009-03-16 20:52

With thanks to Un1ver5e, I finally got around to finishing my MG Destiny extreme edition. I was never good at panel lining nor decal applying so don't want to try and mess it all up but first time at dry-sticker applying. Think it turned out alrite?


Un1ver5e 2009-03-16 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaKkisa (Post 2277306)
With thanks to Un1ver5e, I finally got around to finishing my MG Destiny extreme edition. I was never good at panel lining nor decal applying so don't want to try and mess it all up but first time at dry-sticker applying. Think it turned out alrite?

The decals look nicely done. You might want to try experimenting panel lining on 1/144s first before touching up on your Destiny. After which, matt-flat coat it and it'll look awesome.

MrCapcom 2009-03-16 22:12

lol everyone doing MG destiny's

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/w...1/100_1401.jpg
for anywhone who missed it lol I messed up my decals too I gotta order some more >_>
I got a chrome hand though ^_^

GN0010 Nosferatu 2009-03-16 22:23

OMG!!! Robot Damashii Garazzo this Friday!!!!

JayCee 2009-03-17 03:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaKkisa (Post 2277306)
With thanks to Un1ver5e, I finally got around to finishing my MG Destiny extreme edition. I was never good at panel lining nor decal applying so don't want to try and mess it all up but first time at dry-sticker applying. Think it turned out alrite?



As mentioned before the decals turned out nice and neat but needs a matt coat finish to make it seem less toy-like with it's glossy sheen alongside some panel lining. Although you might want to clean up the nubs you left behind after cutting from the runner as it stands out like a sorethumb in some places. The black wing for example is the most obvious place and should really be sanded down to make it more neat. Apart from that, overall pretty good:)

ryanvamp 2009-03-17 03:55

Are there some good youtube videos about applying dry-decals, water-decals, top coat, matt coat (I don't even know what that means) and sanding ? (this one is the least important but what the hell, I'm happy to learn from the pro's)

JayCee 2009-03-17 04:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanvamp (Post 2277786)
Are there some good youtube videos about applying dry-decals, water-decals, top coat, matt coat (I don't even know what that means) and sanding ? (this one is the least important but what the hell, I'm happy to learn from the pro's)

Don't think there's many videos that are good. But this one is pretty decent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkjuW...eature=related

Most guides however are just documented rather than video recorded. But if there's anything in particular you want to know about or have problems with. Feel free to ask. I'm don't think of myself as a pro modeller. But I know my fair share. :)

LoweGear 2009-03-17 05:54

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3089/...5eb966bc_o.jpg

Sword Noir Impulse is :love::love::love:

Un1ver5e 2009-03-17 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanvamp (Post 2277786)
Are there some good youtube videos about applying dry-decals, water-decals, top coat, matt coat (I don't even know what that means) and sanding ? (this one is the least important but what the hell, I'm happy to learn from the pro's)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayCee (Post 2266110)
Top coat is mainly used for protecting your paint. It lays a thin clear layer on top of your model. It also comes in 3 different finishes depending on ur preference. Matt, Semi gloss and Full gloss. Personally I prefer Matt. Also If you have minor scratches that's not too deep it can cover it up too or at least make it less visible. For those who don't like to paint it makes ur kit give a better less plasticky finish. So to answer ur question. Nothing happens if you don't use it. Just most people do prefer to use it to give a better finish.

Hope that helps

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayCee (Post 2266142)
Try it! :) You'll notice a difference for the better. I think for me the added bonus is that it protects your decals because the top coat layer is on top of it so won't have to worry about it flaking off or what not when handled for posing. :) But make sure you run like hell and do it outside if you are using topcoat. The spray stinks like hell. I usually have a mask on for spraying and even then I have to run away cos it gives me a down right headache if I just stay there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Un1ver5e (Post 2266879)
To add on JayCee's comments on the topcoat:

Matt - Most modellers prefer using matt on their Gunpla. A matt finish removes the shiny plastic sheen on the models which makes them look artificial instead.

Semi gloss - I'm not really a fan of semi-gloss. IMO, the effect it gives is almost the same as the models untouched, with that dumb plastic sheen.

Full gloss - Full gloss is normally used by modellers who want to give their work a metallic finish.

Hope that helps. =)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tormenk (Post 2267341)
Adding onto what he said:

Matt finish helps to bring out the actual color of the parts. I sprayed my MG strike's shield with matt and the white looks whiter than the rest of the strike. :heh: And I think matt topcoats help to reduce fingerprints somewhat if you like playing with your models but don't quote me on this.

There is not much of a difference in semi-gloss. I sprayed some parts of my HGUC Sazabi with that and I was like 'lolwut', couldn't tell much before and after spraying there was a difference though it does help to eliminate the plastic swirling found from the injection process.

Glossy finish if you want your kits to be eye catching since glossy finishes are shiny and all. Though it leaves fingerprints very easily on the surface.

There, copied from the last few pages.

JayCee 2009-03-17 07:27

LOL to think you copied all the previous quotes. Maybe we should make a sticky for the most common gunplay questions that occur:p

Un1ver5e 2009-03-17 07:34

You could try your luck with 4Tran :p

Heh, I can only speak for basic panel lining, sanding and coating. I haven't tried painting my gunpla since my first (and last) paint job on a Strike had 'unexpected' results, much less trying to airbrush.

JayCee 2009-03-17 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Un1ver5e (Post 2277995)
You could try your luck with 4Tran :p

Heh, I can only speak for basic panel lining, sanding and coating. I haven't tried painting my gunpla since my first (and last) paint job on a Strike had 'unexpected' results, much less trying to airbrush.

What do you mean unexpected? :p

I remember when I had my first accident. I freaked out. Had to use paint stripper and start from scratch again :D. Funny thing is I haven't airbrushed anything as of yet because I can't afford to buy a compressor and I'm anal about using cans of air for airbrushing work as pressure isn't consistent and really screws up your work. Right now though I'm losing motivation and ideas while waiting for the bits and bobs to come by post for scratch building my new project.

Un1ver5e 2009-03-17 08:27

Erm...let's just leave it that the white Strike ended up with fingerprints of red and blue. Details are unfortunately too painful to recall. =(

Haha yeah, I totally understand that lack of motivation. My last 2 projects (1/144 Celestial Gundam,1/100 Virtue Armour Purge) were because I wanted to try something new, I wouldn't have built them otherwise. The process is supposed to be more fun than the outsome (it was with my MGs), but for my mods, it was actually more fun playing around with the parts after I complete the individual pieces.

RAVNEN 2009-03-17 11:18

Heh..my gunpla domain... The pics are dark sorry,huhu..forgot to switch the flash.....:p

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5117/picture015w.th.jpg

ryanvamp 2009-03-17 11:42

thanks for all the quoting, Un1verse. But the only thing I didn't know what it was is "matt coat", the other stuff was clear to me. Anyway, I've read it all cause like I said, I'm happy to learn. I've yet to paint my 1st MG, so naturally I want to gather as much info as I can.

I'll try the youtube video that Jaycee posted. GOOD videos are interesting because not only I get to know how to do stuff properly, but also catch a glimpse on a modeller's style and see which order do they follow (i.e, decals/matt coat, stuff like that)

JayCee 2009-03-17 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAVNEN (Post 2278315)
Heh..my gunpla domain... The pics are dark sorry,huhu..forgot to switch the flash.....:p

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5117/picture015w.th.jpg

You need some close up pics of each of them my friend. Distant pictures don't do them justice ;)


Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanvamp (Post 2278364)
thanks for all the quoting, Un1verse. But the only thing I didn't know what it was is "matt coat", the other stuff was clear to me. Anyway, I've read it all cause like I said, I'm happy to learn. I've yet to paint my 1st MG, so naturally I want to gather as much info as I can.

I'll try the youtube video that Jaycee posted. GOOD videos are interesting because not only I get to know how to do stuff properly, but also catch a glimpse on a modeller's style and see which order do they follow (i.e, decals/matt coat, stuff like that)

Well I hope you're clear on the matt coating info anyway. If not, more than happy to go in depth for you or anyone else who needs some info. As for order. Well theoretically there is only certain things that you can/would do in different order. I.e you wouldn't do decals after applying matt coat. Kind of neglects the whole point of sealing the decals with the coat. Alternatively though some people have clear coats then apply decal before matt coat finishing etc. Alternate solutions will have to be covered by more in depth tutorials if necessary.

vektar 2009-03-17 17:06

I found this vid on youtube awhile back he uses really simple yet highly effective gunpla building tech. For those people who dont know what a primer is or what air brush is this might help a bit.

part 1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whzbz...eature=related

Part 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SDupRGuPOE

Un1ver5e 2009-03-17 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by vektar (Post 2278954)
I found this vid on youtube awhile back he uses really simple yet highly effective gunpla building tech. For those people who dont know what a primer is or what air brush is this might help a bit.

part 1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whzbz...eature=related

Part 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SDupRGuPOE

That's a pretty nice tutorial. It's mostly on airbrushing though, but I picked up panel washing from it. ;)

Sir Dearka 2009-03-17 18:44

W00t!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...l/IMG_0097.jpg

Time to assemble! :D I intend to make a green Zaku gunner by taking the zaku warrior body and attach Lunamaria suit's Gunner wizard.

And:


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...l/IMG_0095.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...l/IMG_0099.jpg

Tsuruya-san invades the Gundam universe and steals a beam sword!!!

jackyng222 2009-03-17 21:55

Where did u get that base for the gold frame? What is that base called? I wanna get a base like that for one of my kits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Dearka (Post 2279100)
W00t!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...l/IMG_0097.jpg

Time to assemble! :D I intend to make a green Zaku gunner by taking the zaku warrior body and attach Lunamaria suit's Gunner wizard.

And:


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...l/IMG_0095.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...l/IMG_0099.jpg

Tsuruya-san invades the Gundam universe and steals a beam sword!!!



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:15.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.