AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam Models Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

Tormenk 2014-07-23 10:40

^ A good pair of side cutters and modelling knife can really pay off in terms of finish and Tamiya offers excellent products in both sections. You can get pretty good results taking off nubs with a modelling knife if you're careful enough.

Just be prepared to shell out some good money for them. Unless you really, really like sanding/filing and inhaling all those plastic dust. In which case, look up wet sanding to help you get better results and keep those plastic residue from ruining your health.

Wild Goose 2014-07-23 20:16

^
Been trying out wet sanding these last few nights. I've got a bottle cap of water next to my cutting mat (A4 sized, just large enough for my needs), and i keep dabbing water on the nubs as I sand them down.

I'm not entirely keen on dropping down the cash, but then I think and then I realise that I'm building one kit right now, another 4 more over the rest of the year, and I'm looking at my first MG and another 5 more HGs next year, so I suppose that extra money will pay for itself in the end. :p

But yeah, I really should get some masks to wear while sanding.

Skye629 2014-07-23 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Goose (Post 5190458)
^
Been trying out wet sanding these last few nights. I've got a bottle cap of water next to my cutting mat (A4 sized, just large enough for my needs), and i keep dabbing water on the nubs as I sand them down.

I'm not entirely keen on dropping down the cash, but then I think and then I realise that I'm building one kit right now, another 4 more over the rest of the year, and I'm looking at my first MG and another 5 more HGs next year, so I suppose that extra money will pay for itself in the end. :p

But yeah, I really should get some masks to wear while sanding.

I suggest for side cutters/nippers, you get a nice one upwards of $15 (not sure how much that is for you). A modeling knife you can do with a cheap one, just make sure get get replacement blades to cut properly/find some way to sharpen your currently used blade






Hahahahaha it comes with all the effect parts and the regular beam saber! Must get!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gU-MuI1S4b...0/hj140915.jpg

Skye629 2014-07-24 16:39

May be milking, but I don't care, the Astray units are too damn cool

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/0...e-frame-d.html

EDIT: image link is not showing up for some reason.....

Its the MG Astray Blue Frame D btw, and its not exclusive



And an online exclusive HG Build Strike RG mode lol

LoweGear 2014-07-24 23:55

Image of the MG Gundam Astray Blue Frame D for those who can't see it in the above post:

http://i.imgur.com/9S2vpnX.jpg

kaizerknight01 2014-07-26 13:10


X207 2014-07-26 13:18

its been close to or over 3 years due to extreme procrastination. I am now nearing the end of 1/100 Nebula Blitz Gundam with a full repaint back original colour for the most part.

the bare hip and below have been assembled. the rest is either ready or waiting for connecting pieces to be painted. the main items left for me to complete are some minor and large parts of the chest and the extra armour/weapon pieces that come with the Nebula kit.

I do plan to paint the working part of the Tsumuha no Tachi Triple Claws. the body of the blade will be white and the cutting part will either be a dull/faint green. I wanted a green colour but nothing that would be extremely flashy. im using humbrol paint but the colour im using for the blade highlights is rather close to Tamiya XF-12 JN grey

if I keep pressing on I should be done all the painting before Wednesday or sooner. the lower torso is already put together and im just getting the part painted to put together the weapons, head and upper torso.

I have 4.5 kits left that are still in their boxes yet to start and im looking for a kit which requires less painting. the kits I still have to start are all 1/144 scale: Bawoo, Arios, 1.5 Gundam, and Quanta full saber kit. so far im looking more towards 1.5 Gundam or Bawoo for less painting. I don't use the decals so that will be painted on the kit.

I have some questions regarding the 144 Quanta +full saber kit. the green trays for the Quanta blades are a slightly deeper clear green than the full saber kit. did anyone here use one of the Tamiya clear green paints to match up the full saber kit to the Quanta?

I have for the most part stopped buying any models as I don't really spend much time to painting and building them. 4.5 kits backlog have pretty much stopped me in my tracks. I do plan to get the Zeydalus from AGE if it ever comes out. other available kits which are very tempting for me are the Deathscythe hell version and Strike Noir. I know I can get then but I still resist the urge. my latest kit I got was the 144 green Bawoo which was nearly 1 year ago and before that it was a year or 2 before for the most recent preceeding Bawoo.

Skye629 2014-07-26 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by X207 (Post 5193127)
its been close to or over 3 years due to extreme procrastination. I am now nearing the end of 1/100 Nebula Blitz Gundam with a full repaint back original colour for the most part.

the bare hip and below have been assembled. the rest is either ready or waiting for connecting pieces to be painted. the main items left for me to complete are some minor and large parts of the chest and the extra armour/weapon pieces that come with the Nebula kit.

I do plan to paint the working part of the Tsumuha no Tachi Triple Claws. the body of the blade will be white and the cutting part will either be a dull/faint green. I wanted a green colour but nothing that would be extremely flashy. im using humbrol paint but the colour im using for the blade highlights is rather close to Tamiya XF-12 JN grey

if I keep pressing on I should be done all the painting before Wednesday or sooner. the lower torso is already put together and im just getting the part painted to put together the weapons, head and upper torso.

I have 4.5 kits left that are still in their boxes yet to start and im looking for a kit which requires less painting. the kits I still have to start are all 1/144 scale: Bawoo, Arios, 1.5 Gundam, and Quanta full saber kit. so far im looking more towards 1.5 Gundam or Bawoo for less painting. I don't use the decals so that will be painted on the kit.

I have some questions regarding the 144 Quanta +full saber kit. the green trays for the Quanta blades are a slightly deeper clear green than the full saber kit. did anyone here use one of the Tamiya clear green paints to match up the full saber kit to the Quanta?

I have for the most part stopped buying any models as I don't really spend much time to painting and building them. 4.5 kits backlog have pretty much stopped me in my tracks. I do plan to get the Zeydalus from AGE if it ever comes out. other available kits which are very tempting for me are the Deathscythe hell version and Strike Noir. I know I can get then but I still resist the urge. my latest kit I got was the 144 green Bawoo which was nearly 1 year ago and before that it was a year or 2 before for the most recent preceeding Bawoo.

You can use Tamiya clear green on the Full Saber to match the standard green of the kit, however, getting the right amount may be a bit tricky (right thinner to paint ratio so its not too dark)

Illsteir 2014-07-26 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skye629 (Post 5191263)
May be milking, but I don't care, the Astray units are too damn cool

*snip*

EDIT: image link is not showing up for some reason.....

Its the MG Astray Blue Frame D btw, and its not exclusive

And an online exclusive HG Build Strike RG mode lol

Cool. I wonder if the MG Red Frame is gonna have the same treatment, too (No. the Exclusive where you get the default shield, rifle, and backpack doesn't count :heh:).
*Crosses fingers for a Red Frame Powered*

X207 2014-07-26 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skye629 (Post 5193528)
You can use Tamiya clear green on the Full Saber to match the standard green of the kit, however, getting the right amount may be a bit tricky (right thinner to paint ratio so its not too dark)

ty for the reply Skye, I did think it might be a minor issue given Tamiya only has 2 clear greens. im guessing i'll use water to thin it out? I don't see too much paint that id have to apply to the Quanta. whats more mind boggling about the full saber kit is that you'd need 7 saber kits to equip all the kits that can take it.

I don't often work on my kits but when I feel up to the task I can make some good progress. ive only done 2 full repaints 144 Garrazzo to Anew Returner colours though it came out a hue right between Gaddess and Gaddessa. that one took some time as I mixed both green and eggshell white. a 100 scale took much longer than I thought. ive had enough of 100% repaints for the time being.

Skye629 2014-07-27 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by X207 (Post 5193603)
ty for the reply Skye, I did think it might be a minor issue given Tamiya only has 2 clear greens. im guessing i'll use water to thin it out? I don't see too much paint that id have to apply to the Quanta. whats more mind boggling about the full saber kit is that you'd need 7 saber kits to equip all the kits that can take it.

I don't often work on my kits but when I feel up to the task I can make some good progress. ive only done 2 full repaints 144 Garrazzo to Anew Returner colours though it came out a hue right between Gaddess and Gaddessa. that one took some time as I mixed both green and eggshell white. a 100 scale took much longer than I thought. ive had enough of 100% repaints for the time being.

Water would work if its acrylic you are using, though some people seem to have better results with rubbing alcohol and the dedicated thinners



Try some straight builds for fun :)

X207 2014-07-27 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skye629 (Post 5194505)
Water would work if its acrylic you are using, though some people seem to have better results with rubbing alcohol and the dedicated thinners



Try some straight builds for fun :)

ty for the reply, I got a decent shock today, the x28 Tamiya green isn't transparent, the Tamiya site Is either wrong or outdated. the x25 is closer to full saber green but there is a Testor model master clear green that might be a bit darker than Quanta green. i'll do a proper runner color comparison soon enough. I already have a Testors brush cleaner/thinner. would I need to mix both thinner and alcohol?

id post a pic of the progress if I could find a pic upload option on AS system but it doesn't seem to have such option to upload from my pc.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ps29be7c44.jpg

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2014-07-27 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by X207 (Post 5194530)
id post a pic of the progress if I could find a pic upload option on AS system but it doesn't seem to have such option to upload from my pc.

AS does have upload option. Go to your own profile and then click the "pictures & albums" option from your user control panel. The size of the pic you can upload is limited but it's still a decent way to upload pics from PC without using image-hosting sites.

X207 2014-07-27 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor (Post 5194649)
AS does have upload option. Go to your own profile and then click the "pictures & albums" option from your user control panel. The size of the pic you can upload is limited but it's still a decent way to upload pics from PC without using image-hosting sites.


thank you Obelisk, its been a while since I posted here and I wasn't familiar with the option to take pics from pics and albums file. I don't mind the limited size either as you cant really post a full size pic from a camera.

GN0010 Nosferatu 2014-08-04 20:00

Exia Amazing really is the best Exia.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/0...build.html?m=1

Infinite Zenith 2014-08-04 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu (Post 5203583)

Truly amazing, it is :)

LoweGear 2014-08-05 02:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu (Post 5203583)
Exia Amazing really is the best Exia.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/0...build.html?m=1

Yep, it's truly the most amazing Exia. :nod:

The kit in the link though has 00 Qan[T], Avalanche Exia and AGE-2 Artemis parts.

KaiDamien 2014-08-05 06:53

Saw this image @gundamguy that was taken during Wonder Festival 2014 Summer. The Adora( the one at the left) looks pretty amazing, anyone has any idea what kit it is modeled from?


Chiu_fan 2014-08-05 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaiDamien (Post 5204009)
Saw this image @gundamguy that was taken during Wonder Festival 2014 Summer. The Adora( the one at the left) looks pretty amazing, anyone has any idea what kit it is modeled from?


Those mechs are from a novel series called "Seelen the Hunting World". They seem to be original molds.

Random14 2014-08-05 15:17

Hello, I'm a complete amateur at Gunpla though I've tried picking up a few kits (Barnes and Noble selling a few recent kits is convenient). I think I've got most of the basic though cheap supplies (cutters, file, etc) and I won't be doing any painting (not that much room in house and not that interested).

But just checking, should I get a breath mask for sanding nubs? Something like this-

http://www.amazon.com/3M-8654ES-Wood...ds=breath+mask

I won't be doing any spray paint, and got halfway through assembling an HG before I remembered about that aspect. Or should I try that wet sanding mentioned earlier or just rely on cutters and hobby knife? Well, cutting my fingers doesn't sound good but better than breathing in too much dust.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:38.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.