AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Sports & Entertainment (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   2012 The Movie (2009) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=74215)

Aoie_Emesai 2008-11-17 04:15

2012 The Movie (2009)

Yes... its called 2012. I personally don't think it's gonna be a compelling movie, but the theme of the story is what made me post about it.

From IMDB

With the Mayan calendar ending in 2012, a large group of people must deal with natural disasters such as volcanic eruptions, typhoons and glaciers.

Of course this movie is about the crazy end of the world thingy that's been going around and has been becoming more popular since 2007. Disaster movies are pretty fun to watch, but I don't think i'll be watching this one.

Here's the Trailer

C.A. 2008-11-17 04:43

The last time I watched an environmental, end of the world movie was 'The Core'.

I think its a good way to spread the message of global warming, its effects and why we should work to prevent it from happening(faster).

Though they're usually a little too extreme in the climate changes, particularly the rate of the things that happens. But its done so that it can be cramped into the 2 hours or so.

james0246 2008-11-17 04:50

^This seems to have nothing to do with an environmental message, rather it is just a good old fashioned Diaster Film with no redeeming value.

That being said, LOL at Danny Glover playing the President. Morgan Freeman only had to deal with a giant meteor, Danny Glover has to deal with everything and the kitchen sink :).

Aoie_Emesai 2008-11-17 05:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by james0246 (Post 2058150)
^This seems to have nothing to do with an environmental message, rather it is just a good old fashioned Diaster Film with no redeeming value.

That being said, LOL at Danny Glover playing the President. Morgan Freeman only had to deal with a giant meteor, Danny Glover has to deal with everything and the kitchen sink :).

I'd say the same too. It's more like "Armageddon" than "The Inconvenient Truth."

[DOT].L 2008-11-17 06:51

No, thank you. I'd much rather spend two hours watching the Discovery Channel than sit through a disaster film.

ganbaru 2008-11-17 08:43

Me too. Disaster movie always look too unrealistic.
BTW, why the world is suppose to end in 2012?

Blaat 2008-11-17 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganbaru (Post 2058356)
Me too. Disaster movie always look too unrealistic.
BTW, why the world is suppose to end in 2012?

Because December 2012 is kind of like the new millennia in the Mayan calendar (or to be more precise a new cycle of life) so people speculate that we're all going to die.

Eggs in a Bottle 2008-11-17 11:00

There's also a "theory" that the uhh magnetic uhh bases of Earth (don't know what these are called in English) will change their positions and cause unseen havoc.

C.A. 2008-11-17 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eggs in a Bottle (Post 2058502)
There's also a "theory" that the uhh magnetic uhh bases of Earth (don't know what these are called in English) will change their positions and cause unseen havoc.

Its a scientific fact, not just a theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal

Eggs in a Bottle 2008-11-17 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.A. (Post 2058519)
Its a scientific fact, not just a theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal

Well you know how they call even gravity a theory :p

Shadow Kira01 2008-11-17 11:27

The movie is also called "Farewell Atlantis" and I believe Atlantis is already long gone. It's not even 2012 yet.

GuidoHunter_Toki 2008-11-17 16:20

Oh how ridiculous, now there is a movie about it. Its certaintly the new Y2K. Honestly I've never liked disaster movies and this one is giving me the Day after Tomorrow vibe, so I'm defenitely going to skip out on watching this.

I did get a luahg however from the "google search 2012" thing.

Learn the truth.:rolleyes:

-KarumA- 2008-11-17 16:43

whoah was that a wave ooh dear I first thought it was just an avalanche but then in the end I thought I saw water so I watched again and saw that it was a huge tidal wave.. next thing that sprang in my mind.. OMG now we're going to live like in Waterworld! YESH!

4Tran 2008-11-17 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eggs in a Bottle (Post 2058502)

That's been done. That movie was "The Core" made in 2003, and it had possibly the most silly science ever presented in a film.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eggs in a Bottle (Post 2058522)
Well you know how they call even gravity a theory :p

Oftimes, scientific facts and theories are exactly the same thing. A theory is held as a higher level of proof in that it describes the mechanisms behind a large set of facts. Facts, in and of themselves, don't really mean a whole lot.

Vexx 2008-11-17 18:46

Bah, the Mayans have nothing on the Year 2038 problem.... :)

Aye, a theory permits you to make predictions about an outcome (like "how fast will the hammer being going when it hits your toe on the ground").
If it checks out, whoo - another point for the theory. If it fails.... then something about the theory may need reconsideration.

This movie... looks like a bunch of highschool failures with too much money (== movie financing sources) greenlighted a project from other idiots who want to make boom, whoosh, and boobage.

Byakou 2008-11-17 18:56

The world is not ending in 2012 :meh:

Claude 2008-11-17 20:53

It'd be awesome if they released the movie 2 hours before the estimated time for the end of the world in 2012. Their slogan could be "the last movie you'll ever watch" and "you'll wish you were alive to see it again." :heh:

ganbaru 2008-11-17 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claude (Post 2059436)
It'd be awesome if they released the movie 2 hours before the estimated time for the end of the world in 2012.

There also soo much anti-slogan than could be found.
''Watching this movie may increace your wish for the apocalipse''
or
''The apocalipse might be releasing you from this movie''

I bet somes peoples could find better than those.

Urzu 7 2008-11-17 21:45

I know that the Mayan "doomsday" prophecy was starting to get more attention and that soon a movie about it would surface. Hollywood will make a movie about anything if it'll make money (like a Sept. 11th movie six years after the attacks happened...come on, wtf?).

Also, we don't really know what the Mayans foresaw in the prophecies (if those are even legitimate, even)...some people speculate that it isn't "the end of the world", just that some major changes will initiate in that year which will make the world a 'different kind of world' or something like that...and who knows if that will even happen in that year.

Vexx 2008-11-17 23:11

The Mayans just figured the universe "reset itself" periodically whatever that means.... usher in a new age (here's where the Age of Aquarius music starts).....

Meh, send it all to Xibalba.... :)