AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Sword Art Online (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Sword Art Online - Anime Spoilers & Speculation (for SAO Novel Readers only) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=113155)

Ray 2012-07-10 07:33

I was also really worried that the anime would ruin (well, not ruin, but make it.. less good?) by condensing the various side stories into 1 episode instead of 2 (such as the Aria SS), and also by not creating a link between the side stories.

But after reading that he plans on writing Sword Art Online: Progressive, I think this fear has somewhat lessened. I imagine he already has a good bit, if not all of Progressive, which is a re-writing of the Aincrad arc (volumes 1 and 2), planned out.

Wouldn't this mean that since he attended the script meetings, some of his ideas might be put to use in the anime adaptation? Ideally, it'd mean that there'll be no awkward skips between the side stories and main story, and that the pacing should be more or less fine.

novalysis 2012-07-10 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphrah (Post 4247779)
I was also really worried that the anime would ruin (well, not ruin, but make it.. less good?) by condensing the various side stories into 1 episode instead of 2 (such as the Aria SS), and also by not creating a link between the side stories.

But after reading that he plans on writing Sword Art Online: Progressive, I think this fear has somewhat lessened. I imagine he already has a good bit, if not all of Progressive, which is a re-writing of the Aincrad arc (volumes 1 and 2), planned out.

Wouldn't this mean that since he attended the script meetings, some of his ideas might be put to use in the anime adaptation? Ideally, it'd mean that there'll be no awkward skips between the side stories and main story, and that the pacing should be more or less fine.

Could SAO Progressive be a novelization of the anime itself? Which might mean that the time-line might be a little different from the original volume. Asuna may well be with Kirito earlier, perhaps for stretches at a time, and some of the Sidestories might be tweaked to bring her in play- even if yes, this means Volume 1 Chapter 5 meeting has to be adjusted, probably considerably-Aria alone guarantees this- having Asuna with Kirito on and off before this point might be plausible (though how likely, I can't say). For all we know, First Day might be shifted chronologically to the back, with some details changed or omitted. I don't think First Day would have much impact if you were going into this blind, if First Day was a Second episode. After Aria though, First Day might be more poignant, as Kirito feels more real.

Though how do they plan on cramming Aria into one episode anyway? I guess you could axe out Asuna's PoV.... though if Asuna's PoV is included, then the amount of character development she receives by the end of this anime will be staggering, since Aria Asuna is a far cry from Volume 1 Asuna.

Edit: After looking at Aria's length, they can technically fulfill the title by Part 9 of Aria, since that's where the Betaer issue crops up during the conference half way through, even if they don't use that term till the end. Aria then might be divided into two parts - one part could extend up to Part 9, 10 or 11, and the second be primarily focused on the boss battle.

Though if that's the case, and Asuna's bath scene took place in the late second or early third episode, I anticipate howls of complain about unnecessary fanservice.

So yes. Looking at it, I think Aria may still be two episodes, because I don't know how on earth it can be crammed into one without axing much of the Asuna scenes, or truncating the boss battle dramatically. And if the Asuna scenes are axed, then I assume many LN readers would rage.

My theory is that the anime is following Progressive's story plan, and vice versa, untangling all the chronological problems, ret-conning material, rewriting some side stories and Volume 1 itself slightly to make them fit better with each other, etc...

Edit 2: This is a wild theory and I'm aware there are probably huge issues with this, but perhaps they might troll us by focusing only on Asuna the entire episode, and only bring Kirito in at the end?

Edit 3: I took a quick look at Baka Tsuki's time-line. There's no way the anime audience would buy Asuna and Kirito getting so close in the space of three weeks tops.

Volume 1 Chapter 5 takes place in late October. SAO ends on 7th November. ALO is NOT going to be believable if Asuna and Kirito has a mere three weeks relationship. Looks like that cooking pot scene would take place at least near Episode 8 or 9, if they rush. Episode 16-18, if SAO alone takes two whole cours. And if they are drawing from Progressive plans, it might mean that we may be seeing some additional, new stories.

I'd say that Chapters 5 - 25 may either be extended to the space, of say, the last three or six months, and even before that, we'd probably see the bulk of the side stories. Which means the bulk of Volume 1 may well be the final sub-arc of the Aincrad Arc.

Hmm.... 2012-07-10 09:06

Axing out Asuana POV would definitely make me rage :frustrated:
From what I heard, that 10 minute pre-screen Episode 2 did axe her POV out and is wholely about boss battle.
So I hope with all my might that they bring it back in in real episode.

Another thing that concern me a little. I didn't see Argo the Rat in any PV, OP, cast. Does that mean she also got axed out ? Although I can live with that, it would be a real shame. She would make a good side character for the rest of series. AFAIK, She didn't die, did she ?

perhap they can do something like
5 minutes of Asuna's rescue and her background
5 minute of conference and beta tester cursing
10 minute of boss battle and beater cursing
shortern any newbie explanation Kirito give Asuna
Axe out Argo and sword offer bid
Diabel just rush out to boss after 1st conference claiming he has boss info from some unknown source and die in LA attempt.

Yes, just axe out the bath scene for all I care :p

novalysis 2012-07-10 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hmm.... (Post 4247886)
From what I heard, that 10 minute pre-screen Episode 2 did axe her POV out and is wholely about boss battle.

Another thing that concern me a little. I didn't see Argo the Rat in any PV, OP, cast. Does that mean she also got axed out ? Although I can live with that, it would be a real shame. She would make a good side character for the rest of series. AFAIK, She didn't die, did she ?

Diabel just rush out to boss after 1st conference claiming he has boss info from some unknown source and die in LA attempt.

Then... her character development..... you know, Aria showed that Asuna really grew alot in SAO. SAO volume 1 Asuna was a fully developed character in comparison to Aria Asuna.

Unless... Asuna and Kirito travels with each other in Level 2, and part ways in Level 3....

If they axe her PoV, Aria goes from a brilliant Side story to... average.

Awrya 2012-07-10 09:27

Quote:

Aside from the beginning, Argo doesn't have much impact story wise, she's more of a side/minor character. After all, she isn't mentioned in Vol. 1 and only in side stories (like Kibaou). They don't really play any significant roles after that.

Quote:

If anything they won't axe out that much, with Kibaou villainizing beta testers, Diabel rushing to the boss with info 'from unknown source' would just be plain stupid, since Kibaou did have respect for Diabel (and probably trying to buy off Kirito's sword through Kibaou).

The way I see it, if it follows the light novel including Asuna fan service, they will get to the first boss, with Diabel dying due to katana skill. It'll probably end with Kirito declaring he will perform LA.

Aria in the starless night is a bit difficult to judge, since it has a fair amount of length, especially the dialogue after the battle. Breaking it up as two episodes would be better, but then when should the first episode end? When they get to the boss room?

@novalysis In the first SAO timeline (without side stories), Asuna apparently got interested in Kirito on April and by June it was confirmed she liked him (while having a conversation with Lizbet). So it's 3 months, not 3 weeks:heh:

Utsuro no Hako 2012-07-10 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by maelstormCaT (Post 4247631)
Red Nosed Reindeer is a flashback chapter if I remember correctly. The story jumped back and forth between present and past.

Maybe the anime will cover the past flashback of the chapter only? That would allow it to fit the whole thing in one episode.

No, because we see this scene in the previews:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-m...l_02_-_349.jpg

And there's also a shot of Klein in a snowy forest which is almost certainly from when Kirito's looking for the resurrection item.

Shinji103 2012-07-10 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Awrya (Post 4247911)
Aria in the starless night is a bit difficult to judge, since it has a fair amount of length, especially the dialogue after the battle. Breaking it up as two episodes would be better, but then when should the first episode end? When they get to the boss room?

That actually sounds like a great place for an episode break.

Ray 2012-07-10 09:42

Gahh, the more I read this thread, the more I began to worry that the anime adaptation will fail to the source material justice. :<

Quote:

Originally Posted by novalysis (Post 4247801)
Could SAO Progressive be a novelization of the anime itself? Which might mean that the time-line might be a little different from the original volume. Asuna may well be with Kirito earlier, perhaps for stretches at a time, and some of the Sidestories might be tweaked to bring her in play- even if yes, this means Volume 1 Chapter 5 meeting has to be adjusted, probably considerably-Aria alone guarantees this- having Asuna with Kirito on and off before this point might be plausible (though how likely, I can't say). For all we know, First Day might be shifted chronologically to the back, with some details changed or omitted. I don't think First Day would have much impact if you were going into this blind, if First Day was a Second episode. After Aria though, First Day might be more poignant, as Kirito feels more real.

Though how do they plan on cramming Aria into one episode anyway? I guess you could axe out Asuna's PoV.... though if Asuna's PoV is included, then the amount of character development she receives by the end of this anime will be staggering, since Aria Asuna is a far cry from Volume 1 Asuna.

Edit: After looking at Aria's length, they can technically fulfill the title by Part 9 of Aria, since that's where the Betaer issue crops up during the conference half way through, even if they don't use that term till the end. Aria then might be divided into two parts - one part could extend up to Part 9, 10 or 11, and the second be primarily focused on the boss battle.

Though if that's the case, and Asuna's bath scene took place in the late second or early third episode, I anticipate howls of complain about unnecessary fanservice.

So yes. Looking at it, I think Aria may still be two episodes, because I don't know how on earth it can be crammed into one without axing much of the Asuna scenes, or truncating the boss battle dramatically. And if the Asuna scenes are axed, then I assume many LN readers would rage.

My theory is that the anime is following Progressive's story plan, and vice versa, untangling all the chronological problems, ret-conning material, rewriting some side stories and Volume 1 itself slightly to make them fit better with each other, etc...

Edit 2: This is a wild theory and I'm aware there are probably huge issues with this, but perhaps they might troll us by focusing only on Asuna the entire episode, and only bring Kirito in at the end?

Yeah, definitely. And yep, I'm expecting the time line to be different.

By axing out Asuna's PV, Aria would lose most of it's effectiveness as a side story. And I don't want to see that happen. I'd prefer if the bath scene gets cut just so that the story remains as it should be. And even if the bath scene is included, you simply can't please everyone.

But then again.. maybe Asuna would have too much character development by the end of Aria, so much so that it'll become difficult to believe..? I don't know. I say we just trust the studio and Kawahara to not make a balls of it.

Yeah, I definitely agree with that theory, as that's the impression I got once I read that the author plans on writing Progressive.

Maybe. I was thinking about that myself, but eh, I think it'd do more harm than it would good..

novalysis 2012-07-10 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Awrya (Post 4247911)

@novalysis In the first SAO timeline (without side stories), Asuna apparently got interested in Kirito on April and by June it was confirmed she liked him (while having a conversation with Lizbet). So it's 3 months, not 3 weeks:heh:

I see. But the rest of volume 1 still begins in October (that's from Baka Tsuki, so correct me if I'm wrong) and I get the impression Asuna and Kirito teamed up on a permanent basis then. It may be, that taking the Side Stories into account, the time Kirito and Asuna are together might be retconned in the anime , say a year.

That again, depends on what they've rewritten, but chronology may or may not be shuffled around. I guess in the end, it all boils down to whether SAO covers ONLY SAO- if it does, then I'd imagine that chronological changes are quite likely. If it's only 13 - 14, then I'd imagine there won't be much changes save tweaking dialogue to take into account Aria. And if indeed, the anime is drawing from Progressive (which presumably rearranged the time-line to make the stories fit more neatly), then I'd say the chances of a screw up falls dramatically, if any "Anime originals" are actually Progressive Original stories.

Also- yes, it seems hard to break up Aria of the Starless Night. The most natural point may well be before the boss fight. But, if it's one episode, well, thankfully, Asuna service would only be hinted at. Still, Aria seems like a two episode length story.. if it's one episode, I'd imagine even anime only viewers will see it as rushed.

Ray 2012-07-10 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by novalysis (Post 4247951)
And if indeed, the anime is drawing from Volume 10 (which presumably rearranged the time-line to make the stories fit more neatly), then I'd say the chances of a screw up falls dramatically, if any "Anime originals" are actually Volume 10 Original stories.

I'm pretty sure that volume 10 didn't re-arrange anything; it's Sword Art Online: Progression that's supposed to re-arrange stuff.

novalysis 2012-07-10 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphrah (Post 4247935)
Gahh, the more I read this thread, the more I began to worry that the anime adaptation will fail to the source material justice. :<

Yeah, definitely. And yep, I'm expecting the time line to be different.

By axing out Asuna's PV, Aria would lose most of it's effectiveness as a side story. And I don't want to see that happen. I'd prefer if the bath scene gets cut just so that the story remains as it should be. And even if the bath scene is included, you simply can't please everyone.

But then again.. maybe Asuna would have too much character development by the end of Aria, so much so that it'll become difficult to believe..? I don't know. I say we just trust the studio and Kawahara to not make a balls of it.

Yeah, I definitely agree with that theory, as that's the impression I got once I read that the author plans on writing Progressive.

Maybe. I was thinking about that myself, but eh, I think it'd do more harm than it would good..

The Bath scene, hopefully, would be hinted. Just like the SMUT scene.

Actually, an Asuna POV only episode might actually work well. By emphasizing that Asuna is the Co-protagonist, and SAO is every bit her story as it is Kirito's. But then again, it also depends on how creative the script-writer would be. Since Argo's scenes seems like it's going to get the axe, they can go down that route.

Of course, whether or not they will do so... it's a gamble. Unfortunately, if they focus on Kirito, then Asuna's perspective get's axed. Since this is Aria, this is Asuna's debut episode... unless Asuna doesn't appear in Aria at all. But if it's Asuna's debut episode, I'm hoping for an Asuna-centric episode.

I also wonder whether they'd show scenes from the real world. Like Kirito's... Imouto , ahem, I mean cousin, the launch of ALO, and such.

Hmm.... 2012-07-10 10:07

I agree wholeheartly that Aria should be split into 2 episodes.

But the fact indicate that Ep.2 will title BEATER so story would progress at least to the point the term is invented.
We also know that 10 minute pre-air episode mostly contain boss battle scene.
So unless they cut and shortern that scene in the real thing (which is also possible)
the only question remain....
what will be included in the rest of 10 minutes.

novalysis 2012-07-10 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphrah (Post 4247968)
I'm pretty sure that volume 10 didn't re-arrange anything; it's Sword Art Online: Progression that's supposed to re-arrange stuff.

Ah. My bad. Got confused.

Shinji103 2012-07-10 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by novalysis (Post 4247974)
Of course, whether or not they will do so... it's a gamble. Unfortunately, if they focus on Kirito, then Asuna's perspective get's axed. Since this is Aria, this is Asuna's debut episode... unless Asuna doesn't appear in Aria at all. But if it's Asuna's debut episode, I'm hoping for an Asuna-centric episode.

Given that they clearly make her out to be just as important a character as Kirito in the OP, there's no way they'd be stupid enough to axe her in what's supposed to be her debut arc.

That and she's seen in the 2nd PV in her Aria arc scenes anyway.

maelstormCaT 2012-07-10 15:24

Let's see... take roughly 10 minutes for the boss fight and aftermath, that leave 12 minutes for intro. It would be hard to put the shower scene there.

btw, I reckon for the 3rd episode, "The Black Swordsman" would make an excellent tittle since Kirito would start wearing his trademark black after the end of ep 2. Problem is, in the light novel that tittle correspond to the chapter where he meet Scilica...

maelstormCaT 2012-07-10 15:32

Just run through the 1st pv again. I also notice a scene where Klein in tears reaching out to someone. The background behind him is snowy, heavily suggesting that's the scene where he tells Kirito to stop being suicidal in Red Nosed Reindeer. So the fight against Nicholas the Apostate would probably be animated a bit.
And that would also indicate that RedNosedReindeer will be animated fully, both present and flashback. How the heck they gonna fit that in 1 ep though, probably gonna be a 2 eps.

Deltaray 2012-07-10 15:53

It's pretty much set on stone that Aria will be 1 episode only, when title of next episode is beater, first time it was used was end of the aria story anyway.

Hopefully they keep all main points of the story there ( complains about Beta testers not giving information, Kibaou was seen in the pv's atleast), they will most likely omit that kirito's rented room scenes. Hopefully they keep the dungeon scene from the start tho.

Netto Azure 2012-07-11 01:23

So Aria is calculated to be 1 episode huh...Since <<Beater>> is pretty much a side story after that.

But will the SAO first day in Vol. 8 be animated? Still...maybe a flashback episode hmm. That would make sense.

Anyways I would think that ALO will be included in the anime itself after seeing the figurine list.

http://www.tomopop.com/sword-art-onl...es-25698.phtml

For example:
http://www.tomopop.com/ul/_tomopop/2...01-noscale.jpg

Basically Asuna handcuffed as Titania during ALO. It would be kinda weird to make merch for it if ALO wasn't included.

But then again they are extras to the Dengeki magazines so I might be over analyzing.

Awrya 2012-07-11 04:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netto Azure (Post 4248950)
Spoiler for size:

Nice seeing Asuna as Titania. I always wondered what that golden thing on her ear was, an ornament?

Ray 2012-07-11 06:50

Based on this PV of the next episode, it's still difficult to say whether Aria will be longer than one episode or not. *shrug*