AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Sports & Entertainment (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Short Animation/Cartoons (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=110187)

Tom Bombadil 2012-02-06 13:57

Short Animation/Cartoons

I searched the forum but couldn't find a thread dedicated for short animations. So here is a thread for sharing any short anime/cartoon/CG film that make you go "WOW": nice stories, eye candies, thought provoking works, or works that make you soft and fuzzy inside, you name it.

Of course, as a basic rule, no copy right materials.

Some examples.

The first produced by a single artist, and the other two are made by students for their projects.

MeoTwister5 2012-02-06 14:02

This little Taiwanese ditty needs more coverage:

Hooves 2012-02-06 14:11

^ It already has its own thread :heh: Out of Sight

While we do have a Flash Animations thread. But that's mostly for posting neat creations, so it still works out?

Ledgem 2012-02-06 14:41

Awesome idea for a thread, but I feel like this is going to be a dangerous place in terms of easily losing one's time :heh:

Here's one from the Blender foundation:

A very elaborate Japanese stop-motion project (technically not animation, but it's really neat regardless):

A cute, somewhat bittersweet short 3D animation:

Endless Soul 2012-02-06 15:54

I'll contribute. :)

Endless "Stomp" Soul

Ithekro 2012-02-06 16:09

Oh dear...I saw that when I was a kid.

As for shorts that come out of China (though I don't know which part) I'd say "I'm MT" just because it starts (and usually stays) a silly World of Warcraft parody series. That and at least early on they were using music and sound cues from the Haruhi-chan web episodes, only to have shifted in the last one I watched to using the soundtrack from the live action Space Battleship Yamato film (in addition to other things). It is at least four ten episode seasons long now, and the later episodes are about half hour long as oppose to the originals that were less than ten minutes long.

It has gone into serious arcs from time to time. Mixing in game and real world gamer issues in the mix, at the show seems to know they are playing a game online, and yet they roleplay the whole thing. Very much like if you started playing the game for the first time in the early days where everything was new and Molten Core was the End Game. Also their female undead priest is made moe' like cute. While there male (played by a female as figured when she starts speaking, probably over Vent or something) undead mage hums Hare Hare Yukai to herself when mining or soloing.

Each character has their own little quirks and noob like mindsets which makes it funny. Yet they do develop over time (and levels). The Huntard isn't as bad as he use to be....he's still bad, but for other reasons than not knowing how to play....he just plays different now.

A machinima series. Also the artwork improves a lot as the series goes on.

DXMichael 2012-02-06 16:11

Would this count? I'm a fan of Warhammer 40k and this guy has made a few videos that are well made:

Lost Cause 2012-02-06 19:49

How about this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpF6xlCpFvg&sns=em

C.A. 2012-02-06 20:35

Gobelins to me is a great source of inspiration, its one of the best animation schools in the world.

Sketchy does interesting shorts:

And 2 very good independent Japanese animations.

Edit: More Gobelins

I can literally provide hundreds of shorts, if you're looking for any sort of specific animation, even classic or traditional, I probably know some.

Spectacular_Insanity 2012-02-07 00:00

I thought this one was interesting. Honestly didn't make much sense to me, but then again I don't think art is meant to be understood. :p

This is just a trailer, apperently you have to PAY to see the whole thing, but it's pretty good. You can probably find it out there on the 'net easily enough if you're really interested.

Ledgem 2012-02-07 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity (Post 3991331)
I thought this one was interesting. Honestly didn't make much sense to me, but then again I don't think art is meant to be understood. :p

This is just a trailer, apperently you have to PAY to see the whole thing, but it's pretty good. You can probably find it out there on the 'net easily enough if you're really interested.

This is actually a full movie, directed in part by Tim Burton and released in 2009. Here's the Wikipedia page for it. It was a decent enough movie, but not something I think everyone should rush to see.

Spectacular_Insanity 2012-02-07 02:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ledgem (Post 3991340)
This is actually a full movie, directed in part by Tim Burton and released in 2009. Here's the Wikipedia page for it. It was a decent enough movie, but not something I think everyone should rush to see.

Well, I was looking at it more from the animation aspect rather than the cinematography. I happened to see it on a YouTube video before it was taken down (it was a long time ago).

At the very least, one can appreciate the creativity that went into the character design and the incredibly fluid animation. Reminds you that not only Japan has great animators. :)

TinyRedLeaf 2012-02-07 03:00

I guess Black Hare Down Cat Shit One counts as a "short", since Ep2 never materialised...

Arabesque 2012-02-07 03:14

This is a chinese short that caught my eye some time ago:

Tom Bombadil 2012-02-07 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 (Post 3990467)
This little Taiwanese ditty needs more coverage:
Spoiler for space:

Simple story, yet touching, and magical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ledgem (Post 3990513)
Awesome idea for a thread, but I feel like this is going to be a dangerous place in terms of easily losing one's time :heh:

Spoiler for space:

Superb quality, detailed environments, and excellent animation. The story is so sad.

RRW 2012-02-07 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ledgem (Post 3990513)

i prefer the previous one thought

also is this included

jdennis007 2012-02-07 19:22

Here is the censored version of Kung Fu Cooking Girls (sorry but original has a hint of nipple in it) http://youtu.be/fY9Kndy0ZMs

TinyRedLeaf 2012-05-12 21:34

Stumbled upon this while surfing the internets.

It's apparently a preview to a concept piece by independent animator Tetsuro Kodama. The project was
presented at Tokyo Anime Fair 2011's Creators World | Support Project for Pilot Animation.

Kodama described his project as such:
◊Themes
Efforts, dreams, hopes, goals and solitude that one must endure to fulfil a dream. Three fellows who
never lose courage keep searching for something delightful.

◊The Outline of the Work
A poor artist, Sam, a poor playwriter, Borman and his friend, Greg. A thing they had in common
was that they all had no money. So, the three fellows decided to enter a contest
with their work to win the prize money. But, since they could not afford
the cost for delivery, they decided to take the work by
themselves to the contest held at a distant place!
Their long, poor but joyful journey has started…

I'm very impressed. I've not seen such amazing levels of animation in anime produced in the past 10 years. I'm also amused by what Kodama said of the state of anime in Japan today: "Even as the Japanese animation industry follows a regressive path and suffers from Galapagos Syndrome, new means of expression are being sought after in Japan, which I want to dispatch from Japan to the world. As the 3-D animation has been restored, I hope to establish a new style of expression that makes good use of the distinctive features of Japanese animation."

Galapagos Syndrome, eh? What an apt way to describe the state of the industry in Japan. I learn something new every day. :heh:

Incidentally, Tetsuro Kodama is also listed as the CGI director of sci-fi movie trilogy Mardock Scramble.
That's well worth a watch, too, if you guys haven't seen it.

MUAHAHAHAHAHA 2012-05-13 06:43

North Korean animation clip that is full of propaganda

Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)

Endless Soul 2012-05-13 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA (Post 4158255)
North Korean animation clip that is full of propaganda

Spoiler for tidiness:

Hmmm... I not entirely sure those subtitles are correct.

Endless "Hooked on a feeling" Soul