AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Forum & Site Feedback (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Feedback: Forum Software - Version 3.8.0 (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=77014)

NightWish 2009-01-18 07:23

Forum Software - Version 3.8.0

Given there have been quite a number of user interface changes, and some changes to how various features work, I've decided to open a thread to catch all the feedback.

You can find more information about the changes from Jelsoft's website; but in summary the most obvious changes are:
  • Social groups are now threaded, have their own icons, and list posts with the newest at the bottom. The browse interface has also been changed considerably.
    Edit: I forgot to add, groups are also categorised now.
    These categories are staff defined, however, so feel free to submit a suggested category for your group in this thread. If you don't we'll probably never get around to adding any. Once we have a few common suggestions from maintainers, they'll probably be added.
  • Private messages can now be reported, sorted, and replied to with a "quick reply" form.
  • The navigation bar has been altered to accommodate another menu and some options have moved as a result.
  • Profile privacy options have been expanded to give more fine grained control over who sees what.
    Note: the custom profile access control we added will remain in "beta" for the time being, as I don't think the new official options cover exactly the same scenario.

Narona 2009-01-18 07:46

I LOVE the new features for the social clubs. Thank you :)

C.A. 2009-01-18 08:03

I'm sure the Social Groups would be more lively from now on.

Narona 2009-01-18 08:26

NightWish, we can't create new categories for the social clubs. You will have to do it :p XD

DJ_RockmanX 2009-01-18 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.A. (Post 2167571)
I'm sure the Social Groups would be more lively from now on.

Probably.

I guess I'll suggest a few categories since I'm here:

- Character appreciation (there are plenty of this type)
- Series appreciation (quite a few of these too)
- Shipping (there's a handful of these)
- Fandom (examples would be Seitenkan, Tsuji, The Realm of Gensokyo, Outer Cadian Shock Troopers, etc.)

NightWish 2009-01-18 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narona (Post 2167598)
NightWish, we can't create new categories for the social clubs.

I know, and that can't be changed. What I am asking for is suggestions from those who maintain groups. If you tell me what category you want your group to be in, we'll use this thread to compile a list. See DJ_RockmanX's post for an example; though I'm less interested (not disinterested, just less) in open lists and more interested in the people who actually run the groups posting on that point ;). Hopefully the list will have enough over-lap to make the category worth something.

DJ_RockmanX 2009-01-18 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWish (Post 2167606)
I know, and that can't be changed. What I am asking for is suggestions from those who maintain groups. If you tell me what category you want your group to be in, we'll use this thread to compile a list. See DJ_RockmanX's post for an example; though I'm less interested (not disinterested, just less) in open lists and more interested in the people who actually run the groups posting on that point ;). Hopefully the list will have enough over-lap to make the category worth something.

That sounds a bit more like tags than categories... :heh:

I'd also like to throw around a few substitutions for the title "Maintainer", which I just can't seem to stand for some reason. :p

- Chief
- Director
- Manager
- Organizer
- Superior
- Supervisor

I may or may not get around to cooler sounding stuff later. But I still like these generic ones better than maintainer.

Narona 2009-01-18 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWish (Post 2167606)

I see, thanks :)

So I request/propose:

- Anime series (For the Tales of the Abyss Club)
- Character/s shipping (For the Toppi <3 club)
- Unclassifiable (For the Lelouch Hat Club, and Clovisland club). But I am not sure, I want to find a better category for that kind of "fun" club. And in a way, they are somewhat related to animes.
- Cooking (For the cooking / cuisine club). Anyway, if you have a better idea for that kind of club, let me know, please :)

Can a club be put in more than one category???

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX (Post 2167637)
That sounds a bit more like tags than categories... :heh:

I'd also like to throw around a few substitutions for the title "Maintainer", which I just can't seem to stand for some reason. :p

- Chief
- Director
- Manager
- Organizer
- Superior
- Supervisor
- Dictator

Fixed :p

DJ_RockmanX 2009-01-18 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narona (Post 2167657)
- Unclassifiable (For the Lelouch Hat Club, and Clovisland club). But I am not sure, I want to find a better category for that kind of "fun" club. And in a way, they are somewhat related to animes.

Some of us call that CRACK. :D

Ledgem 2009-01-19 21:04

I'd originally thought that the social groups would be a nice way to connect with other members on non-anime topics, as I figured that most series/character discussions already had dedicated threads. It seems like the vast majority of groups are about specific characters and occasionally about series. Not terribly surprising, although seemingly redundant.

Sorting is usually done by dividing what exists in the greatest quantities. I have no suggestions for how to divide the anime groups, but I can think of two ways to divide my own groups:
1) "Non-Anime"
2) "Arts" (for the digital photography group; I can think of at least two other groups that could be put into that category as well) and "Technology" (Mac OS X user group; the Linux user group could also be placed into that category).

Neat changes overall, it seems.

KiNA 2009-01-19 23:21

I proposed 5 main category

-Character fanclub - we have abundance of this, pairing group (those ShirLulu /NaruSaku group can be categorised here too IMHO)
-Series fanclub - same as above (manga/anime)
-Real Life/Nonanime related - My muslim group, travel agency, cooking club
-Game related - Can be merged with RL/NA category
-Random/crack group - that ridiculous hat club >.> XD

Kitsune 2009-01-20 02:53

Well, I've seen there had been a lot of proposals of very restricted categories (like the cooking one), I think those categories are too much specific and if we don't want to end with thousands of categories with only one group it'd be better to made a Miscelaneous category where all those groups can be joined together (and also sounds better than Uncategorized ;P

By the way, I'd like to suggest the Enter at your own risk category for those two fan groups everybody had seen and some have joined: Hentai Army and tthe newly born Loliworld xDD

PS: Second the Dictator suggestion for the group mainteiner title ^^

Narona 2009-01-21 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiNA (Post 2170666)
- that ridiculous hat club >.> XD

You're mean!!!

I could cry you know!!!

Yeah I could!!!

*don't be sad Oh fabulous Hat, I will still love you even if KiNa hates you *pat pat**

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsune (Post 2170959)
PS: Second the Dictator suggestion for the group mainteiner title ^^

It would be great :) :heh:

Well, for those who didn't look at the social clubs main page, NightWish added some categories. Here's the current list (01/22/2009):

Categories

- Art
- Character Appreciation
- Series Appreciation
- Shipping (Fandom)
- Genre Fandom
- Technology
- Uncategorized

Think about updating your clubs, people :)

EDIT: Mister Nightwish, I have a problem :(

I can't update my Tales of the Abyss Fan club.

I get this message

Quote:

The description that you have entered is too long (2837 characters). Please shorten it to 1000 characters long.
But I don't really want to change the description é_è.

EDIT2:

Sorry to be so annoying :heh:. I have a ne wproblem. I want to create a new club but it says that I can only create 5 clubs. And so I can create new ones because I already created 5 clubs é_è.

NightWish 2009-01-22 11:35

I'm guessing the descriptions are not supposed to be essays, which is why the developers have reduced the length of the field. Would you consider moving some of that text into a discussion perhaps, as Aoie_Emesai did for the "Artists Alike and from Afar" group?

As for the second limit imposed by the software; how many groups do you plan on running?

Sonae 2009-01-22 11:52

Since Narona isn't here at the moment and the limit thing came from our discussion, I'll give the answer.

We were planning on making a Sebastian, Ciel and Kuroshitsuji group. She was going to make the Sebastian and Kuroshitsuji groups while I made the Ciel one. But the limit does not allow her to do so.

She was hoping the limit could be increased to atleast 10

So? Can you?

NightWish 2009-01-22 17:06

@Narona: the same limit seems to apply to messages also...
Quote:

Originally Posted by escimo (Post 2175443)
There seems to be a 1000 character limit in social group messages.

I'll change the description field and the messages to 5000; as we did for visitor messages. Seems reasonable. If I can, that is; not sure where the setting is without looking. The size of the images cannot be changed (oddly).
Quote:

Originally Posted by Narona (Post 2174197)
Sorry to be so annoying :heh:. I have a ne wproblem. I want to create a new club but it says that I can only create 5 clubs. And so I can create new ones because I already created 5 clubs é_è.

This one I'm not so sure about...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonae (Post 2175016)
She was hoping the limit could be increased to atleast 10

Will have to give it some more thought, discuss with the other staff how we plan to control the growth of groups.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonae (Post 2175016)
So? Can you?

Patience, miss. Patience. ;)

Narona 2009-01-22 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWish (Post 2174987)
I'm guessing the descriptions are not supposed to be essays, which is why the developers have reduced the length of the field. Would you consider moving some of that text into a discussion perhaps, as Aoie_Emesai did for the "Artists Alike and from Afar" group?

@Narona: the same limit seems to apply to messages also...I'll change the description field and the messages to 5000; as we did for visitor messages. Seems reasonable. If I can, that is; not sure where the setting is without looking. The size of the images cannot be changed (oddly).

Sorry for my late reply :) . I didn't know the same limit was applied to the messages. Anyway, your suggestion is good, I think. Once the limit in the message will be increased (thank you :) ), I will move "the rules" part of the description in a "rules thread".

Quote:

As for the second limit imposed by the software; how many groups do you plan on running
I don't know, but I guess I will not do 50 groups ^^". It would be too much work since I check my groups everyday (to see if everything is ok).

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWish (Post 2175454)
This one I'm not so sure about...Will have to give it some more thought, discuss with the other staff how we plan to control the growth of groups.Patience, miss. Patience. ;)

I can understand your fears, that a person could create a large numbers of meaningless groups (yeah i know, my Hat and clovisland groups are not really what we can call smart groups :heh: but it brings people together around a same topic (even if it's crack XD) and I am proud of that ^_^)

Anyway, I wanted to create two new "serious groups". The ones mentionned by Sonae (thanks Miss ;) )

And whatever your decision, thanks to have listened to my problems :kisskiss: .

KiNA 2009-01-22 21:39

I started 3 groups only ( I think ) and I dont think I feel the need to make another group IMHO :p

Its too troublesome especially with the current setup.

Mystique 2009-01-26 06:08

Quote:

# Private message quick reply
# Private message throttling (limit messages sent over a time period)
# Private message reporting
Figured I noticed something strange when i just send a PM an hour ago and the 'quick reply' box appeared, was well confuzzled, lol.

I don't hang around social clubs much, so not sure of the benefits, otherwise the PM features aren't too bad.
(Wish it came with an auto 50 more PM extention tho) >.>

Sonae 2009-04-29 18:05

Can the character limit be changed on the Social group posts from 5000 to 10000? Please? Or at least 7000