AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What Styles of Music do you listen to? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=48981)

Vanta 2007-06-10 12:03

What Styles of Music do you listen to?

A previous thread has been closed for some song listing stuff, I didn't see any other thread 'bout general music, so let's go.
Don't forget no to make any listing, just tell us your styles, and some examples of groups, artists or deejays may be tolered, I think. ;)
If the thread encounters the forum's rules, please tell me, I'd delete by myself.

Music is a great part of my life, I can't stand working or even playin without listening to my favourites tracks. I'm able to play my tracklists (Bored to change the CDs in the Hi-Fi, but...) for several hours without breaking, all day long.

Mostly, I listen to Trance, Hardstyle and Jumpstyle (Jumpstyle is mostly a Nightclub music, Europeans only can understand, from Nothern France, Belgium, Germany or Holland...)
I also like Hardcore (Not the Rock Hardcore, the Electro Hardcore. ;))
Sometimes I give me a break with some easy-listening music, like Anna Nalick, Sarah McLachlan, stuff like that, ore even some Classical music (Barber, Vivaldi, Carl Orff...)
I adore Rammstein and Oomph!, two german Hardrock/Metal groups. They're impressive and have a different style from other rock bands.
(Plus I'm fond of Fate/Stay Night & Noein OST! :p)

xris 2007-06-10 15:44

In the past we've had similar sorts of threads and they invariably turn into rather pointless list only posts.

The purpose (or at least the intent) of this thread is to discuss what type and style of music you enjoy and listen to. As Vanta has already stated, it's not just limited to anime music, it's music in general under discussion (hence the thread is located in the General Chat forum and not the Music forum).

Please remember: this is for fun. Don't take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a style of music you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won’t be tolerated.

In addition, please do not post lists :eyebrow: If you do, then chances are the entire post will be deleted. This is a discussion thread, so discuss :) please follow the example of the opening post and try and add substance to what you post.

Spark 2007-06-10 16:50

Hah, Vanta... your musical preference is totally different than mine. But I guess that's the amazing thing about music huh! I will agree with you on one thing tho - there's no way I can go through a day without listening to some type of music. It definitely is a huge part of my life.

In terms of my favorite music, I mostly lean towards listening to different styles of modern rock.

My favorite musical genre is probably a pop/punk kind of sound. Bands that I usually listen to associated with this genre include Hit The Lights, Mayday Parade, Relient K, Boys Like Girls, All Time Low, Run Kid Run, and THEAudition.

I also really enjoy listening to some of the lighter screamo bands. As long as I can tell what they're saying, it's probably good enough for me haha! Some of my favorite screamo bands include AFI, The Almost, and Saosin. I suppose you could also label 30 Seconds to Mars as a screamo band.

I also like some stuff I label as alternative rock (these are the ones I'm too lazy to clump into something more specific lol). Some of my bands that I throw in that genre are Novice, The Ataris, Madina Lake, and Motion City Soundtrack.

And I also like some acoustic stuff.. I generally just clump all of that into a emo music genre haha (in other words, the lyrics are that good that they can invoke some pretty strong emotions). Bands that I listen to in this little genre of mine include Making April, Dashboard Confessional, Copeland, and Secondhand Serenade.

So yeah, that's a few of my favorite musical genres in a nutshell ^.^

I think the reason I listen to those bands in general is because I can relate with so many of the songs at this point in my life. There are some times where I'll feel really happy and pop in a upbeat pop/punk song and jam away to it, or other times where I'll be feeling pretty down and I'll pop in something a little slower so I can see that other people feel that way too. At least that's my reason for why I listen to what I do. Not to mention I think it sounds really cool! Haha.

NOTE: I'm not too good on the whole genre deal, many of my genres overlap. So don't flame too much if ya disagree with some of em haha :X

ProzacFairy 2007-06-10 17:10

Rock
Pop
Indie
Punk - old skool!!! sex pistols, Clash and Ramones ftw!!
i also like 60's music and some dance tracks ^_^

Claies 2007-06-10 17:20

I take a few alternative rock bands, both English and Japanese, including The Fray, The All-American Rejects, Franz Ferdinand, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Mr. Children (Japanese).

J-rock over J-pop. Favorite J-rock artists include The Pillows, Kaela Kimura, and High and Mighty Color. For J-pop, I listen to Ayumi Hamasaki and whatever good single pieces I come across (right now, Crystal Kay's music is good).

I tried to listen to Techno, but I haven't found a band to my liking yet. Trance and nightclub music in general has made my head hurt, so I stayed away from that. I prefer stuff with nice melodies, and so far, only DARUDE's Sandstorm satisfied me for techno.

But my biggest genre is lodged in metal. I listen to mostly thrash metal, speed metal, power metal, and melodic death metal. Bands I listen to a lot include, in no particular order, Sonata Arctica, Into Eternity, Scar Symmetry, Dark Tranquility, Symphony X, Devin Townsend, Strapping Young Lad, Overkill, Black Sabbath / Heaven and Hell, and Dream Theater.

Yeah...nobody in real life has ever expected me to listen to metal. The moment they snatch my headphones and put them on they come right off and I get a really long stare. :heh: Now top that with the fact that I listen to some really squeaky J-pop.

I also can't take hip-hop, R&B, and rap. Thing about me is I can't listen to anything without lots of instrumental melodies going on, and the three mentioned have none of that.

Zaris 2007-06-10 17:36

I can handle various styles of music. My favorites being alternative rock and trance. I used to listen to hard rock back in my high school years because the morning DJs were so funny. But after they left the station and started playing the same 70s and 80s Jimi Hendrix and Metallica, I got bored and started seeking new songs. Alternative rock is where I found what I was looking for. Soft rock just puts me to sleep. -_-

Whenever I browse the intraweb, at work, or at play, I'm always listening to an alternative rock radio station on the web. My favorites being the one from 181.fm. Some favorite bands of mine:

Dynamite Hack
Panic! at the Disco
Rage against the Machine (welcome back!)
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Trance has the beats I like to listen to when I'm in a party mood. I dunno how anyone (around my age) can not like trance. = O It's just really good at keeping you awake doing homework and whatnot.

Given what I've stated, you can kind of guess what kind of Japanese songs I like to listen to. But it's not like I'm a constant headbanger. I enjoy some slow songs, some mushy songs, some gregorian chant. Perhaps the only thing I cannot stomach is Hip Hop / R&B. Weird, huh?

Spark 2007-06-10 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaris (Post 987819)
Perhaps the only thing I cannot stomach is Hip Hop / R&B. Weird, huh?

Not near as weird as you may think lol.. same here dude! Guess I just didn't grow up around it enough.

Claies 2007-06-10 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaris (Post 987819)
Perhaps the only thing I cannot stomach is Hip Hop / R&B. Weird, huh?

You're not alone.

WanderingKnight 2007-06-10 18:11

As to what styles of music I listen to... I think the only thing I can do about that question is answering what styles of music I don't listen to. I can't stomach Hip-Hop at all. The darker and noisier variations of metal hurt my ears, though I do enjoy listening to "lighter" versions of it, like power metal, or like some things of folk metal I've been listening to lately. Trance/Electronica and the like put me nervous.

Everything else works fine for me. I do have a special liking for rock (though I hate most of the modern western rock), indie J-pop (I can stomach the cheesy popsugar one, but only so far), and jazz. My all-time favorite band is U2.

Joojoobees 2007-06-10 18:40

I like a lot of different styles of music.

In High School I listened to Goth stuff, like Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Magazine, or Nico. Sometimes I would listen to Ambient music, like Brian Eno, Popul Vuh. I also liked some Prog, like Yes and Be Bop Deluxe.

I got bored of contemporary music in the mid-80s, and started listening to Jazz, like Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis' Cool style, or Bossa Nova, like Stan Getz, Joao Gilberto.

By the late-90s I was listening to Classical Guitar, like Heitor Villa Lobos, Julian Bream. I also started getting into the ECM label Jazz stuff (Jan Garbarek, Oregon), and some Folk fusion (Pentangle).

The thing that brought me back into contemporary music was Trip-hop (Portishead, Moloko).

I like a lot of other styles as well, but one of my favorites is 70s Prog, which seems to continually offer new discoveries (Slapp Happy, Henry Cow, Comus, Camel, Gong, Soft Machine, National Health, PFM ...).

Some of my favorite Anime music: Azumanga Daioh OST, RahXephon OST, and, of course, :bow: Yoko Kanno.

I totally agree with Vanta:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanta
Music is a great part of my life

I love learning about new music, I love listening to music, I even play with musical instruments on occasion. I doubt I could have made it through this life without recourse to music.

JOJOS'STAR 2007-06-10 20:06

I love J-Pop only when it is sang by cute young and (likely) horny girls. Mucic is okay but as disposable as any other american hits.

I like experimental music because its usualy different then what our ears are used too.

I also like sad but profound Rock music like Delgados or Radiohead.

Anything that is lyricaly evolved gets my attention first.

GuidoHunter_Toki 2007-06-10 20:12

I'll listen to pretty much anything from Country to Rap. Most of the time though I listen to some kind of Rock or Metal.

WanderingKnight 2007-06-10 20:23

Quote:

of course, :bow: Yoko Kanno.
Oh my God, how could I forget about her? I am of the serious opinion that she's the best musician alive.

SilentKnight 2007-06-10 22:12

mostly underground hip hop: Sage Francis, solilliquists of sound, Pharaohe Monch, Blackstar, Adeem, Atmosphere

been getting into this one a capella song recently: TV on the Radio - Mr. Grieves

and moderate doses of everything else

Lamington 2007-06-10 22:33

I like to listen to power metal and most other types of metal. I can't stand stuff like Cannibal Corpse though, too weird.

Besides that I can listen to anything besides country and a certain degree of rap.

Kyuusai 2007-06-10 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingKnight (Post 987863)
As to what styles of music I listen to... I think the only thing I can do about that question is answering what styles of music I don't listen to. I can't stomach Hip-Hop at all. The darker and noisier variations of metal hurt my ears, though I do enjoy listening to "lighter" versions of it, like power metal, or like some things of folk metal I've been listening to lately. Trance/Electronica and the like put me nervous.

Everything else works fine for me. I do have a special liking for rock (though I hate most of the modern western rock), indie J-pop (I can stomach the cheesy popsugar one, but only so far), and jazz. My all-time favorite band is U2.

This is almost exactly what I was about to type. I was just going to pick slightly different adjectives. Clearly WanderingKnight is an upstanding person of formidable intelligence. The fact that he agrees with me is unarguable proof.

The only difference in my statement would be that some older hip-hop, from when it was actually MUSICAL is to my taste. A few hip-hop producers carry that torch, but not most.

kitto-chan 2007-06-11 01:25

Music-wise I'm a fan of anything with a good beat. I mostly listen to J-pop, and new music from HK. Im a fan of Euro-trance, Music like 6-strings, Sammy, Chem-brothers, Rockell and the such. Not too big a fan of Hip-Hop, too overrated IMO, will listen to country but I hate the song that actually use honky-tonk in the lyrics ie. Dolly Parton, and groups like Brooks and Dunn. Definitely cannot bear Goth and Satanic, or cult music, such as Marilyn Manson's, and or Ozzy Osborn's work. Something about being so Goth freaks me out. Dunno maybe its my stereotyping of people.

Edit i just had to make it point that I dislike the one's in bold :)

ashesatdusk 2007-06-11 01:26

I listen to a lot of

different sub genre's of punk...
Slightly Older pop punk (new found glory, older Green Day, older Sum 41, older less than jake) and not much of the new stuff,

A lot of the more mainstream punk rock/Ska whatever and some hardcore punk Ant iflag, Bad Religion, Nofx, Rise Against, The Unseen, Old Afi, Mighty Mighty Boss tones, Street light manifesto, Hot water Music, Jawbreaker,

very select few screamo (Anthony Green Saosin, Thursday, Thrice) and a lot of the original movement (heroine, Anti-Och Arrow, Moss Icon)

A lot of Dischord Records like Q& Not U and Beaf eater, Embrace,

Occasionally JPOP like BOA, Megumi Hayabishira, Two-Mix, I can't stand J-Rock

Occasionally radio alternative particularly stuff like Michell Branch, Vertical Horizon, Goo Goo Dolls,
Occasionally Metal-Core As I lay Dying, Hopes fall,
A lot of small indie bands, unsigned or the like.

Lately Circa Survive, YUI,

-KarumA- 2007-06-11 02:06

what i listen to lol
i varie quite a bit when it comes to music

usually i listen to almost any kind of raock (from hardcore to symphonic rock), my fav rock cathegories would be: rock and roll, punk, metal, hardcore
(Velvet Revolver, White Zombie, Rob Zombie, Blink 182, KoRN, Hatebreed and Sick of it All)
Another cathegory im into is electronic music, such as Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Fat Boy Slim
however i also listen a lot to classical and normal symphonic music, that and opera music :o
(the usual anime OST's and italian opera)
further on the usual Jrock and Jpop
(The Pillows, Angela, High and Mighty Color etc.)

what i dislike is the following:
R&B, a little i can stand but one afternoon full bleeh
Trance music, well besides Japense trance remixes.. but i dont like the 'look at me im sexy so screw me'kind of trance music
The other hardcore.. i cant stand that button bashing music...

Jaden 2007-06-11 03:51

Metal mostly, though I don't like when it's just screaming/roaring :P Favourite bands are Kamelot, Nightwish and Battlelore.