AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam 00 licensed by Bandai Entertainment (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=65485)

4Tran 2008-04-18 22:41

Gundam 00 licensed by Bandai Entertainment

Bandai Entertainment have announced their license for Gundam 00 at Comic Con 2008. ANN report. At this point, we are assuming that this includes both seasons of the TV series.

Feel free to discuss the topic in this thread. And as usual, any discussion about where to download Gundam 00 anime is no longer allowed.

Blaat 2008-04-19 06:39

I assume this is for both seasons, like with Code GeasS?

brightman 2008-04-19 06:42

That's unannounced. The ANN news only says 25 episodes though.

EXEs 2008-04-19 07:00

I believe this is relevant to your interests: http://zip.4chan.org/m/res/1439173.html

4Tran 2008-04-19 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightman (Post 1545190)
That's unannounced. The ANN news only says 25 episodes though.

Note though, ANN's mention of the number of episodes aired isn't part of Bandai Entertainment's announcements. That announcement doesn't actually detail either the episode number or the seasons licensed. Given that both seasons of Gundam 00 are effectively a single show, I think that it's safe to assume that the lack of any distinction between the seasons indicates that the whole thing is licensed.

Pride 2008-04-19 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Tran (Post 1545302)
Note though, ANN's mention of the number of episodes aired isn't part of Bandai Entertainment's announcements. That announcement doesn't actually detail either the episode number or the seasons licensed. Given that both seasons of Gundam 00 are effectively a single show, I think that it's safe to assume that the lack of any distinction between the seasons indicates that the whole thing is licensed.

Let's say, if Bandai is to announce later that only S1 is licensed, will downloads for S2 be up again?

_Setsuna_ 2008-04-19 09:56

Mmh i guess that is more likely that Bandai is going to license also S2,it would not be really wise to license half a series :P!Btw its just my point of view :)

DeotoxSlayer 2008-04-19 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pride (Post 1545304)
Let's say, if Bandai is to announce later that only S1 is licensed, will downloads for S2 be up again?

they're not gonna license only season 1 though, they're probably gonna do the same thing that they did with Code Geass, and mention they're licence over S2 right before it airs.

4Tran 2008-04-19 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pride (Post 1545304)

Sure, but I don't think that that'll be very likely.

On a different note, Bandai Entertainment seems to be trying to secure a television broadcast for Gundam 00. Given the Gundam franchise's lacklustre ratings in the US, I'm curious as to which American channel would be a likely candidate for such a broadcast. If no broadcaster jumps at Gundam 00, there's a good chance that it might show up on Canadian TV first.

RedWing 2008-04-19 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Tran (Post 1545556)
On a different note, Bandai Entertainment seems to be trying to secure a television broadcast for Gundam 00. Given the Gundam franchise's lacklustre ratings in the US.

It seems that they are going to try and compare it to gundam wing, which IIRC was a really popular franchise in US and UK.

“This is an exciting new incarnation of Gundam, with amazing animation, hard SF, post 9/11 storytelling, and an international appeal not seen since Gundam Wing. We are pleased to be bringing this much asked about series to the U.S.,” said Director of Marketing Robert Napton.

Pride 2008-04-19 13:23

Quite interesting that they are trying to bring 00 into US for broadcast. A good sign, perhaps? Especially after the lukewarm reaction towards Seed.

Shiro-Oh! 2008-04-19 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pride (Post 1545767)
Quite interesting that they are trying to bring 00 into US for broadcast. A good sign, perhaps? Especially after the lukewarm reaction towards Seed.

It is indeed interesting; if the broadcast becomes quite successful, it might be able to help revive the dead franchise over the US.

Shadow Angel 2008-04-19 17:04

It would be nice if this series did indeed revive the whole gundam franchise in the us.

duotiga 2008-04-19 21:08

Bandai Entertainment Gundam 00 press release
The details from Gundam Official (PDF).

frm gunota

4Tran 2008-04-19 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWing (Post 1545679)
It seems that they are going to try and compare it to gundam wing, which IIRC was a really popular franchise in US and UK.

I think that it was a foregone conclusion that Bandai Entertainment would go that route. Television is the primary way for an anime work to become a big money-maker in the US, and just about every licensor would love to have their shows end up on a prominent channel and in a good timeslot. Whether the broadcaster cooperates is always the bigger question.

Comparing Gundam 00 to Gundam Wing is also a pretty obvious move - Gundam Wing was the only Gundam show to make much of an impact in the US, and it's likely that the initial press releases for all the Gundam TV shows mentioned it (with the possible exception of Zeta Gundam).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiro-Oh! (Post 1545858)
It is indeed interesting; if the broadcast becomes quite successful, it might be able to help revive the dead franchise over the US.

If Gundam 00 doesn't succeed, then it's probably going to be a very long time until another Gundam show ends up on American television. As it stands, there's a chance that Bandai Entertainment can't find a broadcaster - Bandai Japan's demands towards both them and toy stores has lead to Gundam's extreme unpopularity among the involved companies.

Despite the two markets' seeming similarities, it's a very different story in Canada since both Seed and Destiny were well received (and well-treated for that matter) there. As a result, the outlook for Gundam there is much rosier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demongod86 (Post 1546553)
And as for anime in the US, unless it's absolutely godly (Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Trigun...all of which just so happened to be more western with its guns and wild west type stuff), it's going to suck hard. Always and forever. American VAs love to botch everything.

Can you please lay off the complaining about the English voice acting until it's dubbed at least?

cristian 2008-04-20 06:14

gundam

i heard that gundam 00 is is comming out on bleu-ray in japan like coded geass r2 is that treu

brightman 2008-04-20 06:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by cristian (Post 1547207)
i heard that gundam 00 is is comming out on bleu-ray in japan like coded geass r2 is that treu

Yes, the first volume is coming out this summer.

FireChick 2008-04-20 17:29

YES! I KNEW IT TOO! I've been waiting for this! Allelujah! When will the first volume of this come out!?

Tkpenalty 2008-04-21 01:10

I hope Bandai releases 00 in Full HD or else I'm going to pissed off... And I hope they let the voice actors watch through the whole 25 eps before they get anywhere near the mic :).

Yes... Bandai noted how Gundam Seed/Destiny was a faliure by not mentioning it. Why? Because most of the content which made it good to most viewers; the fanservice :p, was cut out of it. Luckily 00 doesnt use fanservice to support it! There isnt much of 00 I would cut out of it (lets hope they dont get rid of the blood, because that will just be friggn stupid considering how live action movies have way more blood than anime).

Another reason is the bad airing time for GS/GSD...

Kouji 2008-04-21 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaat (Post 1545187)
I assume this is for both seasons, like with Code GeasS?

Well, as of the moment. Bandai is covering both seasons for Code Geass. Though, later on I'm pretty sure that Bandai will get the final season; which's usually 26-50 or 51 :).

Seeing as FUNimation has the TSUBASA series covered (seasons 1 & 2).

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKPenalty
I hope Bandai releases 00 in Full HD or else I'm going to pissed off... And I hope they let the voice actors watch through the whole 25 eps before they get anywhere near the mic

:heh: Aren't all DVDs 16:9 (HD Format)?

IHaveCrayons 2008-04-21 12:30

Hmm, wow they're covering both seasons. I kind of was already expecting this after seeing what happened with Code Geass.

4Tran 2008-04-21 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tkpenalty (Post 1549369)
Yes... Bandai noted how Gundam Seed/Destiny was a faliure by not mentioning it. Why? Because most of the content which made it good to most viewers; the fanservice :p, was cut out of it.

Bandai knew that the Cartoon Network broadcast of Seed was a failure when its timeslot got changed, and when no American broadcaster even picked up Destiny.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kouji (Post 1550185)
Well, as of the moment. Bandai is covering both seasons for Code Geass. Though, later on I'm pretty sure that Bandai will get the final season; which's usually 26-50 or 51 :).

Seeing as FUNimation has the TSUBASA series covered (seasons 1 & 2).

The reasoning for why Bandai Entertainment has both seasons of Gundam 00 is a little different: they are a subsidiary of Bandai Japan just like Sunrise is, and they're the natural outlet for all released Gundam works (save for experimenting with Bandai Visual USA). There's literally no reason for them to not have both seasons unless, for some utterly bizarre reason, Bandai didn't want to release season 2 in North America.

Quote:

Not quite. DVD has a maximum resolution of 480p, while Blu-Ray can go all the way to 1080p.

Icehawk 2008-04-21 14:20

Quote:

To be more specific. Most DVD's may be in the 16:9 widescreen formatting, but that doesnt mean the actual pixel resolution of the video is HD. Standard DVD resolution is typically 848x480p which is in a 16:9 form factor. Actual High Definition video that comes on Blu Ray discs or HD broadcast is either 1280x720p or 1920x1080p

Mister Mister 2008-04-22 05:54

seeing as the protagonist of 00 is a former middle eastern terrorist, I really doubt it'll go over well in the states. brace for macekre.

Icehawk 2008-04-22 06:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Mister (Post 1551934)
seeing as the protagonist of 00 is a former middle eastern terrorist, I really doubt it'll go over well in the states. brace for macekre.

Bah, its all good, he specifically reveals himself an atheist a number of times throughout the show... oh wait... :D

You really have to admire Gundam 00 for its gutsy originality, I mean when was the last time a show came by featuring an Islamic terrorist turned peacekeeper/atheist as the main star?

GuidoHunter_Toki 2008-04-22 20:01

I really don't see Gundam 00 coming to the states. Unless they do some major editing.

wesfalcon 2008-04-24 00:15

Quote:

And as far as I remembered it, someone brought into attention that they had the American flag wrong - the 50 stars were in the right corner instead of left corner (during the panama attack episode) :D

velocity7 2008-04-30 01:05

Can I speculate on possible voice actors?

Setsuna F. Seiei: Brad Swaile
Allelujah Haptism: Johnny Young Bosch(?)
Lockon Stratos: Yuri Lowenthal
Graham Aker: Steven Jay Blum

Of course, the above cast is only going to work well if you have a very, very good voice director. Kris Zimmerman from MGS, G Gundam's voice directors, and Cowboy Bebop's voice directors are good examples.

RisArk 2008-04-30 16:59

Quote:

I really don't see Gundam 00 coming to the states. Unless they do some major editing.
You do realize Code Geass is pretty much unedited, right?

Kouji 2008-05-11 20:01

Quote:

I agree with RisArk. And besides, have you bothered checking the Gundam DVDs? Like The 08th MS Team, MS Gundam SEED etc... You'll notice that they're unedited. And they're not like their network showing counterparts.

MS Gundam 00 will definitely have these unedits, when they eventually hit the DVDs. So whether or not you don't see it happening. It will happen.

StratoSpear 2008-05-14 06:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki (Post 1553159)

No offense, but I just wanna ask... Is it really that offensive to the US to have an Islamic terrorist-turned-peacekeeper as a protagonist in the series?

I'm a Muslim myself and... I just wanna know...:(

Deacon Blues 2008-05-14 16:46

Depending on your background, some people do find it offensive regardless of the changes. Most people also think that everyone who is Muslim is zomg terrorist as well, but that's a political discussion for another day. There shouldn't be any problems with this series here stateside.

Jin Rin 2008-05-14 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehawk (Post 1550388)
To be more specific. Most DVD's may be in the 16:9 widescreen formatting, but that doesnt mean the actual pixel resolution of the video is HD. Standard DVD resolution is typically 848x480p which is in a 16:9 form factor. Actual High Definition video that comes on Blu Ray discs or HD broadcast is either 1280x720p or 1920x1080p

You do know that Star Wars Episode 3 (yes the dvd) could go up to 1080i?

<3 you!

Copy Ninja Kakashi 2008-05-16 02:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jin Rin (Post 1594069)
You do know that Star Wars Episode 3 (yes the dvd) could go up to 1080i?

<3 you!

wel that's "upscaling" not the native resolution ;)

StratoSpear 2008-05-23 05:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deacon Blues (Post 1593834)
Depending on your background, some people do find it offensive regardless of the changes. Most people also think that everyone who is Muslim is zomg terrorist as well, but that's a political discussion for another day. There shouldn't be any problems with this series here stateside.

I see... Thanks for clearing my doubt.

now, back to Gundam...

qtipbrit 2008-06-04 22:11

Quote:

Eh, Full Metal Panic!?
Its release was delayed a time or two though, wasn't it? :p

@Stratosphere: Kind of. Full Metal Panic!'s release was delayed because of its proximity to 9-11, when we weren't the most accepting of Islam and the middle east in general.

Cherudim Arche 2008-06-06 16:56

I don't really worry about the content of Gundam 00 if it comes over. All the problems come from the annoying interest groups:frustrated:

The problem for me is show can get any good time. Not posted in the later hours like Gundam seed on Cartoon Network or Sci fi Channel. If it is on another network, I might as well go to another country or watch on the internet.

Shinkouhyou 2008-06-06 22:09

I don't think terrorism will be much of an issue. It's not like it's going to air at prime time on network TV. It will probably be broadcast largely uncut in a late night time slot on Adult Swim, and anything on Adult Swim is bound to offend somebody. They'll probably follow it with a show about a talking butt... :rolleyes: I guess they could try an early evening time slot on Cartoon Network like they did for Wing back in 2000, but that's highly unlikely because they're currently airing Scooby Doo around that time.

Cherudim Arche 2008-06-06 23:54

Toonami has a even worse lineup than scifi, at least they show Macross which is better than redudant shows of boring Ben1-, Goosebumps, and other boring things.

Gundam Wing was a miracle in itself:D

Ryuujin 2008-06-11 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynames/ Virtue (Post 1638202)
Gundam Wing was a miracle in itself:D

Of course it was, it's the only Gundam that did well in the US...