AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Sword Art Online (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Sword Art Online - FanFiction Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=113262)

monir 2012-07-09 17:02

Welcome to the Sword Art Online FanFiction Discussion thread.

This thread is meant for Sword Art Online fanfiction and its discussion. Fanfiction works can be either posted in this thread or in the Fan Creations Forum and linked to in this thread. You may also link to Fanfiction works posted on other sites and discuss it here.

General rules of our forum still apply:
  • No sexually explicit material. Yes, this goes for text format as well.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members
  • Have fun, but post intelligently

Please respect the authors, fanfictions are written in their free time, they have have no gain and owe you nothing; if they like a particular character and/or a particular pattern for their story, it's a personal choice and can't be blamed. In general, you are free to post constructive criticisms but not insults which (as in any other part of the forums) won't be tolerated. Remember that writers post here to get help and not to get troubles.

Thanks and have fun :)

novalysis 2012-07-10 05:44

Ok, this is just to kick off discussion, since this thread might languish otherwise, for the lack of ideas floating around.

I've got two plot bunnies running in my head right now, both revolving around possible crossovers.

The first is a more serious consideration, but one probably quite fit for Kirito, considering that he's one of the most competent LN protagonist out there. It's a Muv Luv crossover, which I will put in spoiler tags, for those who haven't yet spoiled themselves of Muv Luv.

Spoiler for Spoilers for Muv Luv:

This happens some years after ALO - perhaps around the time where Acclitization would have happened instead. I wonder how much more different the Muv Luv plot would be if Kirito and Asuna were the main couples.

The second crossover idea is a potentially more disturbing one, also set at the same time.

A Lolipop Chainsaw Crossover.

Asuna wakes up in Julia Scarlet's body, in a VR Version of the Lollipop Chainsaw game. Kirito wakes up in Nick's body. Can Kirito avoid Zombification? How would both of them react to Sensei? If Kirito is zombified, what if the game hijacks Asuna's body, and forces her avatar to behead Kirito and put him in the same position as Nick was for the entire game? What would both of them think of the entire game?

This is partly inspired by the costumes add ons for Lollipop Chainsaw, where avatars from other animes like Kore Wa Zombie or High School of the Dead replaced the default avatar.

Edit: My bad about mixing the names up. One error seemed to have led to a huge chain of errors.

Nanospeed 2012-07-10 22:56

Excalibur

I created this account for the very purpose of showing off my fan fiction. But I love SAO so I might as well stick around.

My story can be found HERE

Alternatively if you don't want to use a link and want another method of reaching the story, simply:
- google search 'sword art online fan fiction'
- enter fan fiction site
- select story called 'Excalibur' by 'Nanospeed'

A brief sample of the story:
Sword Art Online.

It was the first virtual reality game to be created. Technology has made it possible to fully immerse a person's consciousness in a brand new world. Its realism has reached the point where players are unable to tell the difference between reality and fantasy.

A fantasy where a castle floated in an endless sky. Its size was immeasurable, the first floor alone rivalled the size of a country with many cities, forests, lakes and mountains. It was just one realm of the one hundred in existence. It was a place where wielding mystical weapons, performing athletic feats beyond human limits and fighting legendary monsters were only some of the things a player can do. In fact, everything that was possible in the real world was also possible in this one.

Thanks for checking it out!

Please support my fan fiction by sharing with your friends and possibly leaving a review (on the fan fiction site).

Edit: New chapter coming out in a few hours from now.

GoddyofAus 2012-07-11 12:59

I was just thinking how A Raildex/SAO/AW crossover could work.

They could make it to that the NeverGear and the HUD they all carry around were both developed in Academy City (future tech and all that), then released it to the wider world. It's pretty much as easy as that. Also, the Espers could use their abilities in game through either interference in the games design from the outside or the fact that their abilities are calculated in their brains in the first place.

Wild Goose 2012-07-11 20:07

It's a pity the timelines don't quite merge, because a crossover between SAO and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is just begging to be made.

"Togusa. Why does Kayaba sound like you?"

"...Major, I honestly have no idea."

"Major, there's no way Togusa coulda pulled any of this off. He isn't a Wizard-class hacker like you, afterall."

"Thanks a lot, Ishikawa."

That said, the verses are just completely explicitly different - cyberbrains were already in wide usage in the early 2020s in GitS, and the world of SAO is very close to ours, so it's a fun idea, but one that can't really progress further.

Dark Wing 2012-07-11 20:25

Well it doesn't mean you can't take some of the concepts from GitS episodes and merged them into the SAO universe.

Wild Goose 2012-07-11 20:49

True, especially since Public Security does have a team assigned to monitoring the SAO case, which later branches out into monitoring VRMMOs.

novalysis 2012-07-12 04:32

This app is brilliant fanfic fuel for crossovers

http://en.shindanmaker.com/247584

I've fed a variety of names from various animes to see how they'd fare, as inspiration for a crossover.

Now, some are nonsensical, such as

Quote:

Alucard is stuck in SAO. Level: 71. Dies 3 days in while killing mobs.
But there were two very interesting results, that gave me an inspiration for a K-on SAO cross-over, where Ui and Yui Hirasawa find themselves trapped in Aincrad.

Quote:

Yui Hirasawa is stuck in SAO. Level: 71. Survives till the end of the game!
And I think that if there's anything that can make Yui really grow up, it'll be surviving SAO at a high level.

Especially after:

Quote:

Ui Hirasawa is stuck in SAO. Level: 52. Dies 9 months in after falling off a cliff.
Which has very, very interesting potential for Drama there. Losing her sister would be a major character developing event. For the first 9 months, Yui would be her normal, ditzy self, until Ui Hirasawa dies to save Yui.

There's a potential rich gold mine of crossover inspiration here.

P.s: Here's to hoping this thread takes off. Part of the reason why the Nanoha fanfic thread is so popular is because alot of fanfics are put up there, sometimes even before being put up on FF.net.

MrTerrorist 2012-07-12 04:39

Whoa. That sounds good. Yui, from silly airhead to grownup survivor after the death of her sister.

Wild Goose 2012-07-12 05:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by novalysis (Post 4250410)
But there were two very interesting results, that gave me an inspiration for a K-on SAO cross-over, where Ui and Yui Hirasawa find themselves trapped in Aincrad.

And I think that if there's anything that can make Yui really grow up, it'll be surviving SAO at a high level.

Especially after:

Which has very, very interesting potential for Drama there. Losing her sister would be a major character developing event. For the first 9 months, Yui would be her normal, ditzy self, until Ui Hirasawa dies to save Yui.

There's a potential rich gold mine of crossover inspiration here.

i'd agree on that, would truly be an interesting thing to see.

Quote:

P.s: Here's to hoping this thread takes off. Part of the reason why the Nanoha fanfic thread is so popular is because alot of fanfics are put up there, sometimes even before being put up on FF.net.
No, it's because FFT is all on yuriyuriyurilovelovenanofateyuri no guys allowed, Satashi is quuen of FFT. What little fanfic discussion that DOES go on tends to be buried by all the NanoFate legion's shilling.

To put things into perspective, i wrote a short and posted it into FFT where Fate killed Nanoha, and was in the process of skinning her to wear her skin and be with her forever. The most common reaction was that i had written a touching loving story. :eyebrow:

That said there are SOME diamonds in the rough. Just that they're hard to find.

novalysis 2012-07-12 05:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTerrorist (Post 4250413)
Whoa. That sounds good. Yui, from silly airhead to grownup survivor after the death of her sister.

I'd imagine Yui would mimic Ui in many ways, after losing Ui. Though such a loss may well result in a Heroic BSOD for the next month. A grownup survivor would probably be alot more like Ui, though I'd imagine beyond that Ui imitation public shell is a girl suppressing her ditzy, upbeat nature.

Though I'm wondering how such a plot would go. Perhaps Yui joins Kirito's harem? Though of course, Asuna is the lead girl. In-fact, Asuna might have rescued Yui after Yui's suicidal funk, which might make for an interesting dynamics. Indeed, perhaps Yui and Kirito's relationship remains very platonic, connected through Asuna.

Even then, this fic could well extend way beyond the Aincrad arc. An Ui like, mature and reliable character who has a childishly silly side in private, that one have to dig out hard.

The zeroeth phase is the loyalty and strength of relationships between siblings, and how Ui keeps things together for both of them in the aftermath of being trapped in Aincrad. After the initial shock, comes the lull, and both of them replicate their roles back in the real world in Aincrad. The interesting thing, I think is that K-on never forced Yui to make difficult decisions, or to start questioning herself. We've not seen Yui in a life or death situation, so I wonder whether being put in one on a daily basis would affect Yui's airheadedness, if Ui was around to shelter her.

I think Ui would go very far to keep up Yui's ditzy, reliant nature, unfortunately. However, that might be tricky to pull off. Still, I'd expect there'd be gradual shifts, though Yui's internal monologues might be quite hard to explore, since K-on doesn't give too much insight into why Yui is such an airhead (beyond Moe Fanservice). One way of course, is to skip towards the end of the nine months, but show traces that Yui does comprehend, a little about how serious the situation is.

The first phase then will be deconstruction on why being a Ditzy Airhead in Aincrad is a bad idea, and how it eventually get's her sister killed.

The second phase is that of grief and coping, where Yui adopts her sister's mannerisms while privately wrestling with her guilt.

The third phase is reconstruction, where after Aincrad, Yui finds a means of reconcilliating between her old, silly self, and the Ui-like persona she constructed to cope with the loss of her sister.

novalysis 2012-07-12 05:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Goose (Post 4250433)
i'd agree on that, would truly be an interesting thing to see.

The challenge is character exploration. It'd probably require quite abit of thought, though I guess a little OOCness is permissible since we've never seen how Yui would be like in a difficult situation of that level (as oppose to the lesser, mild challenges K-on gives), since K-on never truly throws her into one. What I think though is that Yui can rise to the occasion, when need be, as seen in K-on.

Quote:

To put things into perspective, i wrote a short and posted it into FFT where Fate killed Nanoha, and was in the process of skinning her to wear her skin and be with her forever. The most common reaction was that i had written a touching loving story. :eyebrow:

Are you serious? Well, I was planning an Erio X Caro fic, with Lutecia in it, but I'd imagine there'll be legions of Yuri fans demanding Yuri, and Erio to be made the third wheel.

Ahem. A little off-topic.

But the interesting thing about SAO is the kinds of character development one can squeeze from a character when you put him or her in the death game scenario of SAO. I'd say the strongest crossovers would be the ones that take, say a fairly immature (but not stupid) character from a Slice of Life or lighter genre, and make him or her survive the death game.

Nitial 2012-07-12 06:44

Akihisa Yoshi is stuck in SAO. Level: 57. Dies 1 hour in due to a fried brain. http://en.shindanmaker.com/247584

I lol-ed.

HasuMasu 2012-07-12 06:49

Level 57 in one hour!? Was Akihisa secretly a Saiyan? :eyespin:

A fitting end, though. :heh:

novalysis 2012-07-12 06:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitial (Post 4250527)
Akihisa Yoshi is stuck in SAO. Level: 57. Dies 1 hour in due to a fried brain. http://en.shindanmaker.com/247584

I lol-ed.

I don't think that's even a viable crossover..... perhaps choosing another character with a greater life expectancy might be a better choice for a story.:)

novalysis 2012-07-15 02:21

Another interesting plot bunny came to me.

What if Asuna's Brother instead was the one trapped in the world of Sword Art Online?

And what if Kirito was a rare female gamer instead, with Kazuto's personality and intellect and reflexes, but genderbent?

Rovert10 2012-07-15 02:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by novalysis (Post 4255093)

What if Asuna's Brother instead was the one trapped in the world of Sword Art Online?

And what if Kirito was a rare female gamer instead, with Kazuto's personality and intellect and reflexes, but genderbent?

We have no idea what Asuna's brother looks like let alone w/e personality he has. Then again it is fanfiction.

lansglenn 2012-07-15 02:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by novalysis (Post 4255093)

Hmmmm so a black-bladed female character..

A male version of Asuna, so he'd be a white knight of sorts..

What if he was a silver knight instead? *nudge nudge* :D

novalysis 2012-07-15 03:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by lansglenn (Post 4255130)
Hmmmm so a black-bladed female character..

A male version of Asuna, so he'd be a white knight of sorts..

What if he was a silver knight instead? *nudge nudge* :D

Actually, I'm thinking of a character closer to KYH in some aspects. Not exactly, but giving off similar vibes, and less socially confident, but not necessarily... politically incompetent.

The problem is, Asuna's brother might not suicidal - so Aria plays out differently. Furthermore, I suspect Kiriko may adopt a male avatar at the beginning- so that opening scene with Klein might be very interesting- since, well, Kiriko's a girl, in a girl starved prison full of men.

I wonder, will Kiriko solo? Or perhaps Asuna's brother insists he tags along with Kiriko after Aria- perhaps after Kiriko successfully saved his life thrice in a single day, or perhaps both save each others life once each during Aria. Once when Kiriko got mauled by the boss, and Asuna's brother rallied everyone. Once in the dungeon, when Asuna's brother accidentally pulled too many mobs to handle, and Kiriko bailed him out.

Also, I'm thinking of how to work the KoB in.

Still, there's some disturbing... implications of underaged relationships,
Spoiler for Chapter 16.5:

Spoiler for SAO Ending:

Actually, is Fanfiction discussion a Free Fire zone? It's very hard to discuss fanfiction, especially with fiction implicating future events.

Spoiler for Other arcs:

HasuMasu 2012-07-15 04:00

So much fanfic potential here, I'm a marathoner so it'll be a while but once I get around to watching this I'll get on with the fics right away.