AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Anime / Manga title renames, why? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=41373)

Shinji103 2007-01-09 20:49

Anime / Manga title renames, why?

This is becoming an ugly trend as of late. Names being changed for US releases for God knows whatever reasons, usually for stupid reasons. Yes, on rare occasion, the name changes are actually good, and even rarer, actually cool (I actually thought changing God Gundam to Burning Gundam was pretty cool and fitting: Shining upgrades to Burning, makes more sense)

But anyway:

Karin -> Chibi Vampire (*rips out hair*)

Evangelion Girlfriend of Steel 2 -> Evangelion Angelic Days (even if it's because the Girlfriend of Steel game wasn't released stateside...ugh...ugh...UGH!!!)

Satan 666 -> O-Parts Hunter (*stands in stunned stupor*)

EDIT: (Oh btw, not just titles. Feel free to list any character name changes or mech name changes or whatever name changes you want)

jedinat 2007-01-09 21:11

Rurouni Kenshin -> Samurai X

:twitch:

White Manju Bun 2007-01-09 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinji103 (Post 794589)

I saw that at the store the other day and didnt even recgnize it til I read the back and I was like wtf...

Uta > Shadow Warrior Chronicles. I just hate that name.

Zu Ra 2007-01-09 22:55

I only remember these other than that my memory draws blanks good thread =]

Furi Kuri became Fooly Cooly

Kenshin became Samurai X

Naruto Hurricane Chronicles

bayoab 2007-01-09 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Manju Bun (Post 794641)
Uta > Shadow Warrior Chronicles. I just hate that name.

Except, they changed it back.

Quote:

Sometimes, it helps to know WHY they do these changes.
Firstly, they could not solicit a title like Satan 666 to retailers.
Secondly, the story is about hunting O-parts from what I understand. This title makes perfect sense.
Thirdly, google for "Satan 666". Notice a problem?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geta Boshi (Post 794708)
I only remember these other than that my memory draws blanks good thread =]

Furi Kuri became Fooly Cooly

Naruto Hurricane Chronicles

These are both CORRECT translations. They are not renames.

Shinji103 2007-01-09 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayoab (Post 794710)
Sometimes, it helps to know WHY they do these changes.
Firstly, they could not solicit a title like Satan 666 to retailers.
Secondly, the story is about hunting O-parts from what I understand. This title makes perfect sense.
Thirdly, google for "Satan 666". Notice a problem?

And, how do those reasons help "O-Parts Hunter" not make fun of itself by sounding totally stupid? :uhoh:

Zu Ra 2007-01-09 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayoab;

These are both CORRECT translations. They are not renames.

* Yeah but korny to the Core . TOO literal of translations in my Books . Also how lame does Hurricane chronicles sound .Its as retarded as lietrally translating Chidori and Rasengam , Japanese names arnt that hard or coining of terms such as soul cutters occurs . Those translators should take notes from scanalators and subbers :P

* Furi Kuri is the correct Japanese pronounciation spelling ( L slurring ie Aregato and Allegato ) .. Furi Kuri ANN

Aoie_Emesai 2007-01-09 23:20

Quote:

This is becoming an ugly trend as of late. Names being changed for US releases for God knows whatever reasons, usually for stupid reasons. Yes, on rare occasion, the name changes are actually good, and even rarer, actually cool (I actually thought changing God Gundam to Burning Gundam was pretty cool and fitting: Shining upgrades to Burning, makes more sense)

But anyway:

Evangelion Girlfriend of Steel 2 -> Evangelion Angelic Days (even if it's because the Girlfriend of Steel game wasn't released stateside...ugh...ugh...UGH!!!)

EDIT: (Oh btw, not just titles. Feel free to list any character name changes or mech name changes or whatever name changes you want)

Me agree with Karin to Chibi Vampire. Still a good book though.

Zu Ra 2007-01-09 23:34

Grand daddy of Giant Mechas Mazinger Z became Tranzor Z . Mazinger was a strange name but Tranzor Z ( I always say Tranzor with an echo effect ) :heh:

Vexx 2007-01-10 00:30

Chibi Vampire is actually embarrassing to hold in public it is such a wretched name... even in anime-friendly zones :)

More often the name change is just confusing (I kept not being able to find "Ichigo Masimaru" .... because it wasn't listed that way.... d'oh).

JKL 2007-01-10 01:10

Ikki Tousen -> Battle Vixens (manga)

I wasn't annoyed with the change per se, rather the fact that it took me a while to realise that this series was actually Ikki Tousen.

Mr. Shabaz 2007-01-10 12:28

http://4kids.tv/mewmew/

:sad:

Deathkillz 2007-01-10 12:49

Tokyo mew mew -----> mew mew power...god they fail soo hard T_T

busou renking ------> Armored Alchemist ~ i think not >.<

godknows why they change the names...the originals are always cooler than the failures ~

White Manju Bun 2007-01-13 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayoab (Post 794710)
Except, they changed it back.

O rly? Good! ^^

I saw that the dub ver of Haibane Renmei is Charcol Feather Federation....the hell?

Js2756 2007-01-13 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Manju Bun (Post 798975)
O rly? Good! ^^

I saw that the dub ver of Haibane Renmei is Charcol Feather Federation....the hell?

While Haibane Renmei does translate to Charcoal Feather Federation, this was not done as part of the process for bringing Haibane Renmei over to North America. In fact, Haibane Renmei is marketted under it's original name here in North America.

Dagger 2007-01-13 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Manju Bun (Post 798975)
O rly? Good! ^^

The English (Engrish?) words Charcoal Feather Federation are included in the Japanese logo, dude. Just look at the R2 covers. In the US, Haibane Renmei was sold as just that--Haibane Renmei.

ETA: Argh! Too late. :)

White Manju Bun 2007-01-13 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Js2756 (Post 799023)
While Haibane Renmei does translate to Charcoal Feather Federation, this was not done as part of the process for bringing Haibane Renmei over to North America. In fact, Haibane Renmei is marketted under it's original name here in North America.

I thought so, which is why when a friend told me about the other name I was like :twitch: thanks for the info (both of you^^)

Chiibi 2007-01-19 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathkillz (Post 795241)
Tokyo mew mew -----> mew mew power...god they fail soo hard T_T

HA...4kids fails at LIFE, imo.:eyebrow:

As much as I ship ADV, changing Uta's name was dumb.:rolleyes:

Geneon fails at life too-they kept Kannazuki No Miko's title the same but they put "Destiny of Shrine Maiden" underneath it. WTF THAT'S NOT WHAT IT MEANS!:twitch:

Tokyopop changing Groove Adventure Rave to "Rave Master" isn't that bad though. The original kinda sounds corny...."groove" :heh: But refusing to release an uncut Japanese version makes THEM fail at life as well.:eyebrow:

Kaijin 2007-01-19 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathkillz (Post 795241)
busou renking ------> Armored Alchemist ~ i think not >.<

Busou literally means: arms, armament, armed
Renkin(jutsu): alchemy

so, the title is a literal translation. It's not that bad.

LionsMane 2007-01-19 17:43

I hate how many character names were changed in Digimon but then again the show was aired for younger audiences in the states so I guess American names seemed more appropriate.

As for titles: Battle Vixens for Ikkitousen's manga---drives me nuts.