AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   G8/20 Summit in Toronto, Canada (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=94900)

Yu Ominae 2010-06-26 16:24

G8/20 Summit in Toronto, Canada

Been listening/reading about it for a while now. Especially with anti-summit protesters smashing windows and all, especially on squad cars belonging to the Toronto Police force.

I don't know, but this reminds me of Singapore and some of the summits held there all of a sudden.

yoropa 2010-06-26 16:28

This type of protest thing happens all the time. When it was in Philadelphia (or was it Pittsburgh? One of those two) they had to do the same crowd control done in Toronto.

ClockWorkAngel 2010-06-26 16:30

One of my mates got his head hit by a protester's sign over the cries of "PIG!". The perpetrator was promptly arrested.

Its also rather inconvenient; I'm going to stay away from that part of downtown for the first half of summer.

Tiberium Wolf 2010-06-26 17:15

Why not make the Summit in the ISS ? There is no protesters in space. :D

0utf0xZer0 2010-06-26 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf (Post 3108490)
Why not make the Summit in the ISS ? There is no protesters in space. :D

I've kind of been wondering why we need to hold it in a major urban area myself, since I'm getting the impression that we're having to pay way more for security as a result.

SaintessHeart 2010-06-26 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 (Post 3108577)
I've kind of been wondering why we need to hold it in a major urban area myself, since I'm getting the impression that we're having to pay way more for security as a result.

Tourism, economy, etc. Civilians at the summit will pay to use the facilities at the area, thus boosting business there.

Master_Yoma 2010-06-26 21:24

Nothing will get done it never dose its just a waste of time

Vexx 2010-06-26 21:25

I can't think of a more ineffective and annoying way to affect policy in this particular instance --- sometimes protesting IS the thing to do, but this just pisses most people off at the wrong target (the protestors).

I have deep issues with the forces underlying G8/G20 but they won't get fixed by these clowns who mostly just ruin life for the wrong people.

Lost Cause 2010-06-26 21:35

^That and the portrial by the mass media will show the protestors as a roitous mob, even if they're well organized and have a well though out complaint!
Like the Chinese curse/sayin goes "May you live in interesting times". Well we are!

Yu Ominae 2010-06-26 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoropa (Post 3108422)
This type of protest thing happens all the time. When it was in Philadelphia (or was it Pittsburgh? One of those two) they had to do the same crowd control done in Toronto.

I agree. Haven't seen "radical" protestors hitting on squad cars used by the Toronto police.

If they torched a RCMP squad car on the other hand...

Kaioshin Sama 2010-06-26 23:18

I'm surprised nobody is talking about the powers that mcguinty granted the Toronto police during the summit. As I understand it from reading The Star today police can arrest anyone within a certain radius of the summit without them even having seen a crime if the person refuses to produce adequate identification or to submit to a search when requested to do so by police. Apparently somebody has already made a constitutional challenge against the order.

SaintessHeart 2010-06-27 02:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama (Post 3108890)
I'm surprised nobody is talking about the powers that mcguinty granted the Toronto police during the summit. As I understand it from reading The Star today police can arrest anyone within a certain radius of the summit without them even having seen a crime if the person refuses to produce adequate identification or to submit to a search when requested to do so by police. Apparently somebody has already made a constitutional challenge against the order.

With so many dignitaries around, I am not surprised they enforced an "easy law" to blot all the protestors out for fear of assassination attempts.

ganbaru 2010-06-27 04:49

It's always the same story since Seatle: some morons amond the manifesters start to breacks stuff ant to attack the police and the police have to make some mass arrestation because of this...
The real protestors should have understoud now than they will always be some idiots than will mix with them than just want a opportunity to breack stuff and to me mixed with those is a good way to end up arrested.

Key Board 2010-06-27 07:39

Perhaps the world cup might have aggravated this behavior

it's not uncommon to see someone go on a riot and destroy small businesses because their team lost in soccer

ganbaru 2010-06-27 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Key Board (Post 3109305)
Perhaps the world cup might have aggravated this behavior

it's not uncommon to see someone go on a riot and destroy small businesses because their team lost in soccer

Good thing than we ,canadian, didn't qualified to the world cup :heh:
Seriously, I doubt than they needed that excuse for breacking stuff...

sergho 2010-06-27 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganbaru (Post 3109311)
Good thing than we ,canadian, didn't qualified to the world cup :heh:
Seriously, I doubt than they needed that excuse for breacking stuff...

I've always wanted to throw a trashcan through a store front window.

ganbaru 2010-06-27 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by sergho (Post 3109418)
I've always wanted to throw a trashcan through a store front window.

That probably the same kind of ''wish'' than those idiots had even before going to the manifestations, even though some of them might be more organised.

Silver Dragon 2010-06-27 11:26

Most people don't need an excuse, they just do it for the hell of it.

qwertyuiopz 2010-06-27 14:43

they are so stupid :@:@ dont they realize that the repair bill is going straight to tax?

ClockWorkAngel 2010-06-27 14:52

I have a huge urge to buy a durian and throw it at some of the protesters, but that would be a waste of a durian. Watching on the local news, it seems like there's been arrests made, but generally the police won't be bothering peaceful assembly, I know some of my friends who went down town to just take photos; up close too!

But I agree, there's alot of people hiding inside the crowds of peaceful protesters just to start up shit. They don't realize that the only thing that they're destroying is their message.