AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Manga (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   (L) Seiken no Blacksmith (The Sacred Blacksmith) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=106354)

NoLongerSane 2011-08-18 10:43

Seiken no Blacksmith (The Sacred Blacksmith)

http://forums.animesuki.com/picture....ictureid=40287

Description:

The story takes place after an abominable war that foisted a "devil's contract" upon a land. Cecily Campbell, a former noble's daughter who joined a knighthood, encounters a man who dispatches some hoodlums with one sweep of a mysterious sword. The man possesses the power of the same "devil's contract" that has become taboo, now that peace has been restored. Cecily has been searching for a blacksmith who can repair an old sword she inherited from her father, and that mysterious young man happens to be blacksmith named Luke. This encounter launches their adventures together.

Source: Baka-Updates
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=41632

Amazed this series was not found in the manga section despite it being mentioned in it's anime section. Anyway, pretty interesting series as there is more material presented than what was seen in the anime.

MrTerrorist 2011-08-18 10:54

indeed. Unlike the anime, Cecily is already a badass from the start.

So i guess you started this thread after a certain thing happen to someone in the story. You know what i'm talking about.

Khalil 2011-08-18 11:03

Let me just say this: Siegfried, you utter bastard.

NoLongerSane 2011-08-18 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTerrorist (Post 3733287)
indeed. Unlike the anime, Cecily is already a badass from the start.

So i guess you started this thread after a certain thing happen to someone in the story. You know what i'm talking about.

Very true. I recall the scene was previoiusly mentioned a while back at the anime forum and the current chapter that was recently released had that scene. I was thinking that there was a thread for this series and I was going to post on what I read and on the the other chapters that were released these past months but was surprised that the thead did not exist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khalil (Post 3733292)
Let me just say this: Siegfried, you utter bastard.

Totally agreed.

Sol Falling 2011-08-18 11:23

Someone had the same idea I had. This manga definitely deserves its own thread, it's seriously good reading.

Chapter 21 had some heavy shit. Dang. I am fucking glued to this story to see where this will go for Cecily's character development. Cecily's idealism has been the pinnacle of gar and what's left me impressed with her character before. What's going on now is a serious challenge to that, however.

It's funny but I've been reading a bit about feminism recently. And what this chapter has done a terrifying job of emphasizing is just how dangerous and unstoppable the enemy really is. Frankly, if the
Spoiler for ch. 21:
had really gone through in that context, I wouldn't have a hope in hell of Cecily's recovery. On the other hand, in the vast majority of real life analogues, there is no convenient copout to spare the victims from the ugly act.

This chapter really makes me think about the helpless suffering that the powerless (particularly women) undergo every day. It is almost too much to bear. If you stand up, you will be stomped down with malice and hatred. This is certainly a way of things.

Miraluka 2011-08-18 11:41

It seems the manga adaptation of the light novels is better than the anime. I'll try it again, since I thought the anime was better.

Xagzan 2011-08-18 12:09

I've been following this from what I assume was the beginning.

I adore Cecily. I hear she dumbed down into Ms Fanservice in the anime version, which I haven't watched, but I am enjoying her obvious talent and skills she has right in the manga. She doesn't always win, but damn if it isn't brutal when she does.

Oh, and yes. Fucking goddamn Siegfried. He's just earned a bloody and graphic death, and he better damn get it. Frankly I'm a little surprised though. This never really seemed like the type of dark series to put the lead character through something like that. Hope she gets better soon. Though I suppose
Spoiler:

Kurosu 2011-08-18 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xagzan (Post 3733377)
I've been following this from what I assume was the beginning.

I adore Cecily. I hear she dumbed down into Ms Fanservice in the anime version, which I haven't watched, but I am enjoying her obvious talent and skills she has right in the manga. She doesn't always win, but damn if it isn't brutal when she does.

Oh, and yes. Fucking goddamn Siegfried. He's just earned a bloody and graphic death, and he better damn get it. Frankly I'm a little surprised though. This never really seemed like the type of dark series to put the lead character through something like that. Hope she gets better soon. Though I suppose
Spoiler:

Spoiler for Chapter 21:

Xagzan 2011-08-18 12:30

Calling it a copout would imply I didn't like it, but I'm actually relieved they didn't go all the way. Still, I really hope Cecily's idealism hasn't been completely crushed by this.

Kurosu 2011-08-18 12:35

You're right, though regardless, I guess I would direct it more toward those that did think it was a cop out.

Shinn Kamiyra 2011-08-18 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sol Falling (Post 3733315)
Someone had the same idea I had. This manga definitely deserves its own thread, it's seriously good reading.

Chapter 21 had some heavy shit. Dang. I am fucking glued to this story to see where this will go for Cecily's character development. Cecily's idealism has been the pinnacle of gar and what's left me impressed with her character before. What's going on now is a serious challenge to that, however.

It's funny but I've been reading a bit about feminism recently. And what this chapter has done a terrifying job of emphasizing is just how dangerous and unstoppable the enemy really is. Frankly, if the
Spoiler for ch. 21:
had really gone through in that context, I wouldn't have a hope in hell of Cecily's recovery. On the other hand, in the vast majority of real life analogues, there is no convenient copout to spare the victims from the ugly act.

Agreed. After what happened in Chapters 15 and 16 though, there was no way they weren't going to come to a head sooner or later. It just goes to show how much Cecily rattled Siegfried that he had to go to such lengths to try and destroy her, or rather her beliefs, down to their very core.

This latest development has Cecily at a real crossroads. If she chooses a path of vengeance in order to kill Siegfried, or at the very least have a hand in killing him, it will come at the cost of abandoning everything she's been fighting for up until now and effectively proving him right. Or, as I'm hoping for, she can stand up from this and rise to the true aspiration of knighthood that's been her driving force from the very beginning.

Either way, things are getting quite interesting. This is turning out to be quite a bit more entertaining than the anime.

MAX_COLA_POWER! 2011-08-18 13:03

Although I don't approve of what happened or didn't happen to Cecily by any means, unfortunately, based on what happened with her and Luke, and again I don't approve at all of what happened to her at the end at all, she kinda had it coming. When a knight, a girl knight, trains as hard as she does, the concept of feminism takes over for the girls femininity, thus making a conflict so bad that the knight has to choose either to continue to gain power for her beliefs or surrender to society's "gender roles" without being able to find a balance. Her confusion and frustration for her feelings for Luke made her say something she shouldn't have, instead of just being honest and not letting her pride get in her way, it ended unfortunately with the most savage way of mental breakdown. Also yes, Siegfried deserves the most horrible death ever. On a light note, NLS, you sure the best medicine is laughter? Cause based on your sig, it looks more like the best medicine is making an Ahegao face-v-;;.

Sol Falling 2011-08-18 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! (Post 3733441)
Although I don't approve of what happened or didn't happen to Cecily by any means, unfortunately, based on what happened with her and Luke, and again I don't approve at all of what happened to her at the end at all, she kinda had it coming. When a knight, a girl knight, trains as hard as she does, the concept of feminism takes over for the girls femininity, thus making a conflict so bad that the knight has to choose either to continue to gain power for her beliefs or surrender to society's "gender roles" without being able to find a balance. Her confusion and frustration for her feelings for Luke made her say something she shouldn't have, instead of just being honest and not letting her pride get in her way, it ended unfortunately with the most savage way of mental breakdown. Also yes, Siegfried deserves the most horrible death ever. On a light note, NLS, you sure the best medicine is laughter? Cause based on your sig, it looks more like the best medicine is making an Ahegao face-v-;;.

"Had it coming", "said something she shouldn't have", what exactly do you mean? Are you referring to her telling Siegfried she had faith in Luke, calling out to him for help, or what? None of that could remotely justify Siegfried's assault upon her integrity as an individual, as far as I'm concerned. What exactly are you saying sparked Siegfried's anger, and what exactly are you saying Cecily deserved?

As far as NoLongerSane's signature, you're mistaking the character's eyebrows for eyelids. Due to bad vertical compression of the image. I find making jokes about ahegaos in this sort of context is fairly offensive, however.

Xagzan 2011-08-18 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinn Kamiyra (Post 3733417)
Agreed. After what happened in Chapters 15 and 16 though, there was no way they weren't going to come to a head sooner or later. It just goes to show how much Cecily rattled Siegfried that he had to go to such lengths to try and destroy her, or rather her beliefs, down to their very core.

This latest development has Cecily at a real crossroads. If she chooses a path of vengeance in order to kill Siegfried, or at the very least have a hand in killing him, it will come at the cost of abandoning everything she's been fighting for up until now and effectively proving him right. Or, as I'm hoping for, she can stand up from this and rise to the true aspiration of knighthood that's been her driving force from the very beginning.

Either way, things are getting quite interesting. This is turning out to be quite a bit more entertaining than the anime.

I think soon enough she will come to those crossroads, but before that happens I think we need to see just how traumatized she is now. It wasn't a full rape, but it was bad enough to make her puke, and I think the immediate concern should be seeing if she can get better, or how. Poor thing :(

Although I imagine that's already been revealed in the not yet scanned chapters.

HayashiTakara 2011-08-18 13:55

Wow, it's a good thing Siegfried is a limp dick :heh:

The puking is apart of her hangover, the events just pushed her over the edge sorta speak.

MAX_COLA_POWER! 2011-08-18 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sol Falling (Post 3733482)
"Had it coming", "said something she shouldn't have", what exactly do you mean? Are you referring to her telling Siegfried she had faith in Luke, calling out to him for help, or what? None of that could remotely justify Siegfried's assault upon her integrity as an individual, as far as I'm concerned. What exactly are you saying sparked Siegfried's anger, and what exactly are you saying Cecily deserved?

As far as NoLongerSane's signature, you're mistaking the character's eyebrows for eyelids. Due to bad vertical compression of the image. I find making jokes about ahegaos in this sort of context is fairly offensive, however.

Again, I'm not approving of what happened to her at all, I meant at the beginning of the chapter, in the party, her drunken discussion towards luke about being stuck loving one woman from the past. In manga, that usually means a fowl and undeserved play by Karma to either break a character with no chance of recovery, or go through a long process of self thought and meditation, making the character stronger. I love the fact that even though I said like a thousand times that I don't approve what happened to Cecily and I don't want what happened to her to happen to any female, ever, I'm still being considered as an insensitive jerk-.-. Anyway, on Sane's sig, I'm sorry my comment offended you. It was not my intention since I did not know where the character came from. However, that is still not an excuse, so once again, I apologize.

Xaturas 2011-08-18 14:05

Didn't read the series but saw the 21 chapter just because of this thread, hmmmmm nothing there to be frank. They fights with monsters and such, such low mental rape and some physical abuse shouldn't hurt anyone. Unless she is some weak moe romance character that is.

HayashiTakara 2011-08-18 14:15

The point of the abuse she got from Siegfried is to enforce how useless she is alone. Which by law means she'll start on the path of self-improvement.

Xagzan 2011-08-18 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by HayashiTakara (Post 3733504)
Wow, it's a good thing Siegfried is a limp dick :heh:

The puking is apart of her hangover, the events just pushed her over the edge sorta speak.

I had completely forgotten she was hungover by that point. Still, I do hope you're right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xaturas (Post 3733510)
Didn't read the series but saw the 21 chapter just because of this thread, hmmmmm nothing there to be frank. They fights with monsters and such, such low mental rape and some physical abuse shouldn't hurt anyone. Unless she is some weak moe romance character that is.

Fighting monsters doesn't mean a person is prepared to be beaten, stripped, molested and abused like that.

Xaturas 2011-08-18 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xagzan (Post 3733524)
I had completely forgotten she was hungover by that point. Still, I do hope you're right.

Fighting monsters doesn't mean a person is prepared to be beaten, stripped, molested and abused like that.

Then it just means she is damn weak.
Realistically speaking, when I would fight with monsters (on war), I would be mentally prepared for such a meek abuse. But hey I'm not a women, when it comes to their loves and such they are stupid.
To be frank she can clean Casca (Berserk) shoes with her character strength.