AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Super Robot Taisen series (20 years and going strong) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=116318)

BassGSnewtype 2012-11-18 16:17

Super Robot Taisen series (20 years and going strong)

Easily the Mecha anime lovers wet dream created by Banpresto, does anyone else here play?

Duo Maxwell 2012-11-18 20:35

Quite a lot, if you ask me. That is the latest thread.

And hello there, BassGS :heh:.

kuroishinigami 2012-11-18 20:49

*raises hand*. Been following SRW since playing F on PS1 except those on non-sony titles lol.

BassGSnewtype 2012-11-19 02:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell (Post 4443525)
Quite a lot, if you ask me. That is the latest thread.

And hello there, BassGS :heh:.

Sorry, I searched "Super Robot Taisen" instead of "Super Robot Wars" :eyespin:

I started with J myself and worked backword in the GBA era stopping with R and then Alpha 3 was my first Console SRWand MX portable for the PSP later, I watched the OG OVA after playing J and have been getting the console games ever since, after coming off of LOE2 and Z2 Saisei-hen I'm ready for OG 2nd.

kaizerknight01 2012-11-19 05:15

played first on Super nes and plan to get the ps 3 version

GundamAce 2012-11-19 07:26

Love the series, and I own a lot of them, though I've only actually finished a few (Alpha 3, W, L, and Z, though I'm on the final level of Z2 Part 1 right now).

BassGSnewtype 2012-11-20 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuroishinigami (Post 4443553)
*raises hand*. Been following SRW since playing F on PS1 except those on non-sony titles lol.

Have you played A Portable?

kuroishinigami 2012-11-20 01:45

Yep. Although I think I played it around 2011 since I didn't get my PSP until then :heh: Haven't finished saisei-hen and masou kishin 2 though due to lack of time and the upcoming OG 2. I can't remember anything particularly special with A portable though?

Kirayuki 2012-11-20 02:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuroishinigami (Post 4444994)
I can't remember anything particularly special with A portable though?

One of the more harder SRW games in terms of difficulty wise. Might be worth it if you like some challenges.

Von Himmel 2012-11-20 03:59

Been following this from @3 (I saw that the cover has Freedom on it. Because SEED was my first gundam series that I follow, I'm interested in that game.) First time I played it I don't even know about Seishin until half of the game :heh: good thing that they have gameshark back then

kuroishinigami 2012-11-20 04:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirayuki (Post 4445014)
One of the more harder SRW games in terms of difficulty wise. Might be worth it if you like some challenges.

When you have played F and F final, the later SRW cease to be difficult anymore :heh:. F Final was just crazy back then. And I do have finished A portable, I just can't remember it being particularly special. Was it the one where the dodging penalty was so severe?

Kirayuki 2012-11-20 04:50

Oh, I forgot to mention it to be more difficult compared with modern SRW games not the older ones. Silly me lol. And yeah, F and F Final is more difficult than A Portable.

And yes, dodging penalty was so severe. Furthermore, it's one of SRW games where you can't just Full Upgrade one unit and steamrolled everything. Pretty much, you need to balance the upgrades between your units. And one of SRW games where evasion and hit bonus such as EWAC, etc comes pretty useful.

It also included some harder stages compared to modern SRW (final stage and that boss from stage 34 of Nadesico route, forgot his name but I'm sure he's the villain from Daitarn 3)

bakAnki 2012-11-20 05:08

Count me in too :3
SRW is the one that made me hooked into mecha anime and learn about many mecha titles (as well as learning katakana, hiragana, and liiiitle bit of kanji :heh:), and heck I even knew Gundam because SRW :heh:

Alpha Gaiden was my first. After that I play and completed Alpha, Alpha 2, Alpha 3, MX, W, K, L, J, Z, Z2 Hakai Hen, and Z2 Saisei Hen. And also Mugen no Frontier, Mugen no Frontier EXCEED, and Masou Kishin 2.
Those I played but not yet completed were Alpha for Dreamcast, MX Portable, A Portable, and OG2 (GBA).

Okashira 2012-11-20 22:54

I never had an advanced console back then so my first srw was 4 on SNES back then in 99~00 period (maybe earlier?). Just as bakAnki this game really got me to "cross the line" from simply being interested in kana-hira-kanji and get my ass on gear and start learning some things; it also got me into a lot of series that I didn't knew before playing.

It's when I finally got a PS2 is that I stopped borrowing games and started to care about getting them for myself :heh:

BassGSnewtype 2012-11-22 00:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuroishinigami (Post 4445074)
When you have played F and F final, the later SRW cease to be difficult anymore :heh:. F Final was just crazy back then. And I do have finished A portable, I just can't remember it being particularly special. Was it the one where the dodging penalty was so severe?

Yep, it's the first game that introduced the Accuracy Penalty, it was later refined for Z1 where it was balanced out by adding an accuracy upgrade stat.

kuroishinigami 2012-11-22 20:29

Well, all those thing can be easily negated with effective use of seishin(and stage reset to check where the reinforcement come from :heh:), and when you've played the oldies SRW with all those crazy boss reinforcement(and boss was hard back then, not only huge HP pool hard, but hard stat-wise), effective use of seshin is the first thing you learn to beat it :heh:(I think even alpha need effective use of seishin to beat the later stages in hard)

Sister Princess 2012-11-22 22:20

F and Final (and other old ones) being hard due to...

-95% Supers are terrible. Now its pretty much opposite. Adding the stat 照準値 greatly helps them
-氣カ system is broken in this game
-Tier S newtypes are too good. Having 2 times movement per turn early make them even more useful
-Oldtypes are terrible, period.
-There is like less than 10 skills for character in this game. Almost everyone use exact same character skills
-NO CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION, this only justify why oldtypes are terrible
-Space B.... mostly on supers.... there is no remedy for it

I think Super Robots Wars A (2001) is the first game to feel actually balanced. Since then, bad ones aren't ended up terrible.

kuroishinigami 2012-11-22 22:29

You forgot the low damage output compared to the enemy HP(mostly due to terrible super I guess), and that lead to longer turn each stage and the need to efficiently manage your SP.

kaizerknight01 2012-11-23 08:55

one of my favorite units its neither real or super it a awesome type :D:D:D

BassGSnewtype 2012-11-24 04:36

Yeah but I prefer something that can deal massive damage to EVERYTHING!!

Like Banprieos

Or Cybuster