AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Shows similar to (SnS, ZnS, Tora)... (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=79592)

Kijuto 2009-03-24 10:15

Shows similar to (SnS, ZnS, Tora)...

My favorite show of all time, and of the first shows that really got me into anime was Shakugan. For some reason I loved Kugumiya as a voice actor, and don't quite know why nobody else does. After I finished that, I looked into other similar shows and found Zero no Tsukaima of course. Now, recently I have watched through Toradora and currently Index.

They all seem to just get that original feeling from each other, be it the voice acting or animation being similar. Are there any shows that you would recommend be it because of her voice acting (+ any other meritable one) or a similar plot line that these followed? Was looking into Hayate.

Edit: Watched FMA in Japanese and English and unfortunately liked the English more for some reason. Is the new season just a remake or new material though?

DJLowrider 2009-03-24 10:51

Arguably Kugimiya Rie is most famous for being the voice of Alphonse Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist. It's really nothing like any of the other series you mentioned but is still quite fantastic. If you haven't watched it yet I would make it a priority. Fortunately, we have a whole new series of FMA starting next month, and she is reprising her role in it.

C.A. 2009-03-24 11:43

I don't really have anything to recommend you, but Kugimiya has lots of fans lol, I mean really alot, plus they're sometimes quite rabid :p

Echoes 2009-03-24 12:19

Yeah, I really don't know where you've gotten the idea that you are the lone champion of Kugimiya Rie out there, I've found her to have a huge following.

I suppose you could look into Rental Magica. It's a fantasy-action series, with Kugimiya in the main cast, though not in the lead.

You mentioned you were looking into Hayate no Gotoku, which is really hit or miss, you either get it, or you don't for the most part. With 52 episodes, an OVA and an upcoming second season you'd have your Rie-fix for a long time if you did end up liking it, though.

DJLowrider 2009-03-24 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kijuto (Post 2294315)
Edit: Watched FMA in Japanese and English and unfortunately liked the English more for some reason. Is the new season just a remake or new material though?

The new series is supposed to follow the manga storyline far more closely, whereas the previous series was only loosely based on it.

holyalexander 2009-03-24 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJLowrider (Post 2294543)
The new series is supposed to follow the manga storyline far more closely, whereas the previous series was only loosely based on it.

that's good to hear...

Nochgo 2009-03-24 19:23

Yea, there are alot of kugimiya fans out there... even some extreme ones.
Yea, you should look into Hayate; I liked it as I watched it, but never really felt the urge to watch it, if you know what I mean.
You can also try Mnemosyne, but that might be too much, as it has alot of blood, gore, violence, nudity, etc etc.
You might like Rosario+Vampire, though I didn't like it.

You should just check her wikipedia page because there are quite a few. It lists almost all major and minor rolls she had.

Kijuto 2009-03-25 18:13

Thanks for those, probably starting Hayate now. Lets hope I can make it last unlike Index, which I burned through in 2 days...

Van-kun 2010-01-25 23:47

eh.. this stuff matters alot do they?..

Sackett 2010-01-26 00:18

Well, check the list of roles for more Kugumiya that was linked up thread.

For more anime with a similar feel... well I think you got the closest variations. If you step out one ring further to shows that have similarities but have some important differences you can try:

Full Metal Panic
Ranma 1/2
Inuyasha
Chrono Crusade
To Aru Majutsu no Index
Chrome Shelled Regios
(I think you'd really enjoy Felli Loss).

Kafriel 2010-01-27 04:25

First role of hers I noticed was Kagura from Gintama, it's mainly comedy but has quite a number of serious action arcs.
Quote:

Is the new season just a remake or new material though?
It branches off to an entirely different storyline after a certain point, it's worth checking out.