AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   True Tears (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Character Discussion - Shinichiro (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=61611)

Pellissier 2008-01-29 04:52

Character Discussion - Shinichiro

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Shinichiro related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all true tears fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specific episode talk, there are already threads serving that purpose.

Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favorite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.

• Discuss, not Chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animeuki) on ZiRC.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use spoiler tags!Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

nanaman 2008-01-29 16:46

First out here I guess.

I like the main character a lot. His way of acting seems to be very natural and I think he's quite a funny guy because he's so honest and expressive in his actions. If I haven't misread most peoples opinions about him, I don't really think he's "emo" about his situation and with his family as most people seem to think (correct me if I'm wrong). Having had some problems within my family aswell I can say I can really relate to the way he's acting against his parents, and I find it fully understandable. He's probably mad at them because of them trying to control his life (they seem to be pressing him, asking him about what high school he'll be choosing and so on) and probably there's something with his mother being so hateful against Hiromi. I think most of the dislike lies with his mother, as she seems to be the one being the most onto him, trying to have talks with him all the time.

Shiroth 2008-01-29 17:44

Let's just say it, and get it over and down with.

Shin is one of the best male leads i know who pulls some great facial expressions.

felix 2008-01-29 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiroth (Post 1369524)
Shin is one of the best male leads i know who pulls some great facial expressions.

Good solid point there. I don't like him all that much but I can agree and support that.

golthin 2008-01-29 17:58

Quote:

I like Shin, he is a VERY nice guy! the complete opposite of nobuse, which is another reason to like him. The fact that Shin and nobuse are best friends is a good proof about the proverb that "opposites attract".

The only thing that I find faulty about him, is his desire to be a match maker! It seems that he is headed for a second matching and like in the first one, he is being MEDDLESOME!

nanaman 2008-01-29 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by golthin (Post 1369556)
The only thing that I find faulty about him, is his desire to be a match maker! It seems that he is headed for a second matching and like in the first one, he is being MEDDLESOME!

Well, I think why he does this is mainly because he just doesn't know what his feelings are or may just not admit to them because he's scared of his feelings not being mutual (at least in the case of Hiromi). He seems to think that he's not a guy anyone'd want, but he still doesn't seem not to have any hope for it at all, he's just easy to let the feelings down in any case of uncertainty. It seems he's being thrown between what other people think of him all the time, and this really puts his confidence and state of mind in a jumble. He seem to be shifting between confidence and uncertainty a lot of the time, like in the case with Hiromi. He just doesn't know what to do and I wouldn't neither as it seems he's in quite a difficult situation.

DanielSong39 2008-01-29 19:55

Bleh, another indecisive male lead.

But he does have some potential for improvement, so I wouldn't give up on him quite yet.

Running neck-and-neck with Takuma of H2O among male leads...

puretsundere 2008-01-29 20:48

Quote:

Definitely. I mean his face when he's screaming at the birds, getting his tears cleaned by Noe, and his smile in Hiromi's phone photo are priceless. The expression definitely applies to Shin: his face says it all.

Shin is definitely one of the better male leads in all the anime I've seen. He's conflicted with his feelings and is not afraid to show his emotions. When he's frustrated, he acts frustrated. When he feels like screaming at birds, he does it. He's not stupid or as dense as other male leads. His conflict with his feelings never in turn make him too wishy-washy.

cloudninja 2008-01-29 20:58

I think they intend for him to start off as weak then become stronger and more decisive towards the end. Noe is supposed to be the catalyst that will spur his development although she might not be the one for him in the end. He's had his eyes set on Hiromi for quite a while now and even though he might shoot himself in the foot a few times I don't think he will truly give up on her.

EXEs 2008-01-30 03:17

He's very much like Kyon, in the way that his personality is rather sarcastic and down to earth, and the fact that he has a potential harem of 3 girls.

billbrown 2008-01-30 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSong39 (Post 1369756)
Bleh, another indecisive male lead.

But he does have some potential for improvement, so I wouldn't give up on him quite yet.

Running neck-and-neck with Takuma of H2O among male leads...

I've come to accept that almost all young male leads in these kinds of genres tend to be indecisive. Is it annoying? Certainly. Some are worse than others though, and Shin really isn't that bad.

Shin's main strength which sets him apart from a lot of other leads is his expressiveness and the thinking disposition. He constantly thinks and ponders over things, which I like.

I wouldn't place Shin remotely near Takuma's level; He's far ahead of him(just like True Tears is far ahead of H2O). I don't hate Takuma but he's your typical submissive, buddy buddy nice guy who tries to be friends with everyone so openly.

felix 2008-01-30 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by billbrown (Post 1372032)
Shin's main strength which sets him apart from a lot of other leads is his expressiveness and the thinking disposition. He constantly thinks and ponders over things, which I like.

For me, it's a little bit more specific.
He thinks and knows he's saying something stupid when he's saying something stupid. Good in a characters personality. :D

(i.e. that cool short silent monologue he does in his head)

tripperazn 2008-01-30 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by EXEs (Post 1370412)
He's very much like Kyon, in the way that his personality is rather sarcastic and down to earth, and the fact that he has a potential harem of 3 girls.

I love Kyon, but he was nothing more than a foil for the other characters. He basically serves the purpose of helping the reader/viewer relate to otherwise totally alien characters. Yes, he is witty and sarcastic, but that's what he was supposed to do, nothing more.

Shinichiro on the other hand is very expressive and does take the initiative when prompted (giving Noe the tissue box chicken for example). He strikes me as a very introspective person, with all sorts of metaphors to try and understand the confusing teenage world. Mostly with Hiromi her "bottled up tears", which he seeks to take away (note both of these are double entendres, which shows how good the script is). This explains why we don't see him taking action very much, but he is far from the passive male lead.

His portrayal is also very "human", especially during the first episode when he tries (once again) to strike up a conversation with Hiromi, his childhood friend, only to fail miserably. Frustration and self-blame ensues behind the corner. I'm sure we've all done this at least once during our teenage years, maybe not out loud, but definitely in our heads.

I'm also interested in Shinichiro's other passions, like his picture book and how that might play into the relationships with the girls.

Irenicus 2008-01-31 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by tripperazn (Post 1372073)
I love Kyon, but he was nothing more than a foil for the other characters. He basically serves the purpose of helping the reader/viewer relate to otherwise totally alien characters. Yes, he is witty and sarcastic, but that's what he was supposed to do, nothing more.

I think you give Kyon less credit than he deserves. The guy did set up his own harem behind a teenage goddess' back after all. ;)

From what I've seen, he's pretty much the shadow king of the Brigade, and make decisions when he wants to (ex: he's the one Yuki actually obeys for some reason). While one side of him is the sarcastic narrator (and consequently the audience's link to the show's crazy world), he's also an actor in it himself, falling for Haruhi, hanging out with the gang, pretending to get annoyed at Koizumi, etc., something people tends to forget.

I agree with you though, that Shin'ichiro guy is fun. He's a pretty short-tempered one despite his looks, but the audience doesn't mind it at all because we sympathize with his issues. He thinks a lot in his head, like most of us, and don't exactly tell everyone everything that's going on in it...like most of us (Noe apparently can read his mind though :heh:). His artistic passions seem genuine, unlike most anime romance male leads whose creators often add an artificial "hobby of interest" just for decoration or not at all; and I like how he looks realistic as opposed to dorky or bishounen-ish.

Great lead.

Kimiri 2008-02-02 20:21

Hes a great male lead, and i find him alot like rin from Shuffle XP

Deathkillz 2008-02-02 20:45

Except that rin is one of the crappest male lead ever :rolleyes:

Right...don't go there ^^

golthin 2008-02-02 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimiri (Post 1377254)
Hes a great male lead, and i find him alot like rin from Shuffle XP

I wouldn't compared Rin to Shin. Rin was misleading the girls all through the series. He never was clear about his feelings till almost the very end. Shin on the other hand has someone he likes already, even though he thinks it is a one sided thing and is doing the same crap he did to Aiko all over again.

DanielSong39 2008-02-03 00:56

Rin was way worse because he actually encouraged a harem relationship... headed for polygamy, I'm afraid.

As for Shin, he's hurting but decided to give up on Hiromi (at least to a degree) and support her relationship with #4. She may be sending mixed signals but until she declares otherwise, Shin is better off taking Hiromi at her word.

Hopefully Hiromi will meet the same fate as Aiko and Shin will become a man good enough for Noe! He has a long way to go before he reaches Jun's level, but it'll be interesting to see him try...

felix 2008-02-03 05:38

Shin is no Rin. Most (if not all) of characters in harems, at "their best" don't even come close.
This is like comparing water with rocks.

Guardian Enzo 2008-02-05 20:42

By request:

But you see, Shin is a "good boy". There are few things as humiliating for a teenage male to be, but it's not a matter of choice for a good boy - it's a compulsion. It all fits - the folk dancing, the conservative dress, the fairy tales with kawaii illustrations... He's a good step-brother, a good best friend, a good student, a good son. Like most GBs, what he longs for is to be a threat (and this drives much of the tension for his character) but he can't. He can no more let a girl stay stuck in a tree (even if he thinks she's nuts) than murder a puppy.

And as a good boy, what he did in Hiromi's bedroom was not a matter of choice. Of course he didn't want to tell her about Number 4 - he didn't want to talk at all. What he wanted to do was take her in his arms and kiss her, then throw her down on the bed and ravish her until they were both so weakened by thirst and hunger that they had to emerge for provisions. But he couldn't even tell her how he felt, so he did what he thought was the right thing to do - he told her the guy she said she liked thought she was cute. Because that's what a good boy would do.

Shin can't help himself - he's serially nice. Stop him before he helps again.