AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam Models Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

pumpkins 2012-01-25 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox (Post 3967678)
A question for all you model junkies.

With the upstart of 1/144 RG line which are very close to MG except in size, do you think this will affect MG releases in the future as MG moves more and more towards PG quality wise?

Bandia can't maintain every model line financially, eventually recession will come.

I see 3 scenarios:

a) MG will become more rare with only a few releases a year, RG will become standard mainline modeller grade, PG will become exstinct, HGUC will stop.

b) MG will continue normaly, RG will be slower and just replace HGUC as general fanline. HGUC will see alot less releases. PG will remain, but just 1 every 3-4 years.

c) RG will fail and stop, more MG will come (min 2 per month), HGUC will go more general then just UC. PG remains mistery.

I'm a 1/100 MG man myself, i bought a RG strike because i'm a strike fan, but now i hesitate to get a RG freedom. So do we jump on teh wagon of RG or not?

I guess HG 1/144s will not get replaced by RGs. It's just not cost effective to make every single release a RG. HGs will still be there to satisfy the collectors who want to collect every single mobile suit that appears in the anime.

As for RGs I don't expect them to replace MGs either. I think they'll just remain as the PGs for 1/144 scale with limited releases of only the main mobile suits.

I have a feeling that the quality of MGs will reduce in the future, with it being more of a better alternative to the NG 1/100 especially for the newer series. As for UC MGs I expect them to be of comparable quality to previous MGs. :)

Can't say much about PGs. lol, maybe just the main mobile suit of each series will be made into one... and only if it was super popular.

MakubeX2 2012-01-25 11:13

People here had surely noticed the extinction of the 1/100 NGs line. Theories are abound that Bandai retire it because they are stuck between a rock and a hard place for the 1/100 line. Make it too good and it'sll threaten the MG line. Cease improvements and consumers will be offended.

The 1/100 Overflag and 1/100 Tieren was borderline MG as you can see. Bandai tried to cut slack with the 1/100 OO Second Season Gundams with no waist articulation and pissed their customers off, enough for them to retire the 1/100 line and jumped straight to MGs. But what about the rest of the model kit lines lines ? Thw way I see it :-

1) HGs will always be around. Bandai needs something in the 1000-2000 yen range for those teenagers who had no financial means to get the top of the line MGs.

2) MGs will go on for those who need to see their kit in the bigger scale of 1/100

3) RGs will train on for years to come due to the appeal for great details in a small package.

4) PGs are experimental pieces for Bandai to cheat their hard core consumer base for extra fundings. So they will be there, just on a very limited basis.

The only line that are endangered are the Mega Size kits which are blown up HG kits that are too big, too expensive and lack details.

DarkWarrior 2012-01-25 11:47

I'd argue that MG is the new NG 1/100. Looking at the MG Age-1 Normal, I can see stuff you'd normally expect in NG 1/100 kits (like sliding the arms and legs into place). And given that Bandai has confirmed 9(!) MGs so far this year when it's still only January, this seems to indicate they're going for quantity over quality. Not that I'm complaining though.

suiton629 2012-01-25 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkWarrior (Post 3967792)
I'd argue that MG is the new NG 1/100. Looking at the MG Age-1 Normal, I can see stuff you'd normally expect in NG 1/100 kits (like sliding the arms and legs into place). And given that Bandai has confirmed 9(!) MGs so far this year when it's still only January, this seems to indicate they're going for quantity over quality. Not that I'm complaining though.

Well, I'd have to disagree...

I think Bandai is just trying to keep costs low w/ the AGE series kits without compromising too much.

So with the AGE Master Grade kits, we should just expect something in between usual Master Grade quality and No Grade 1/100 quality.

Not that bad, but whatever. =P

It'd be easier for kids I guess, and I think that's what Bandai is trying to market these kits from the AGE series at..

Appel 2012-01-25 12:26

the last NGs that came out were sometimes even better than the old MGs.
and when you look at the prices, the NG OO raiser is only a bit less expensive than the MG version.
from a strategic standpoint it simply makes no sense for bandai anymore to keep that line alive. and i think they took the right way by simply giving us really awesome 1/144 scale kits in the form of the RG line. they are just as expensive as the NGs and offer three times as many features :P
or just look at the 1/144 NG line! that one died as well because the HG line picked up so much.
this is simply part of the evolution of bandais toy line. the models get better, new lines get made and old ones die. its that simple^^

suiton629 2012-01-25 12:28

I'd rather them not even bother with NG either and just release MG kits. =)

casval cehack 2012-01-25 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox (Post 3967678)
A question for all you model junkies.

With the upstart of 1/144 RG line which are very close to MG except in size, do you think this will affect MG releases in the future as MG moves more and more towards PG quality wise?

Bandia can't maintain every model line financially, eventually recession will come.

I see 3 scenarios:

a) MG will become more rare with only a few releases a year, RG will become standard mainline modeller grade, PG will become exstinct, HGUC will stop.

b) MG will continue normaly, RG will be slower and just replace HGUC as general fanline. HGUC will see alot less releases. PG will remain, but just 1 every 3-4 years.

c) RG will fail and stop, more MG will come (min 2 per month), HGUC will go more general then just UC. PG remains mistery.

I'm a 1/100 MG man myself, i bought a RG strike because i'm a strike fan, but now i hesitate to get a RG freedom. So do we jump on teh wagon of RG or not?

It has been affecting the MG line ever since it was introduced; the RG took up MG release slots, fewer unique MG molds were created and even the MG assembly gets redesigned to be "simpler". My MG budget mostly go to the RG nowadays; MG or even PG gunpla gimmicks in a 1/144 scale is really tempting when display space is a problem.

Another thing; the HG line would never stop. It's Bandai mass production line.

suiton629 2012-01-25 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by casval cehack (Post 3967851)
It has been affecting the MG line ever since it was introduced; the RG took up MG release slots, fewer unique MG molds were created and even the MG assembly gets redesigned to be "simpler". My MG budget mostly go to the RG nowadays; MG or even PG gunpla gimmicks in a 1/144 scale is really tempting when display space is a problem.

Another thing; the HG line would never stop. It's Bandai mass production line.

Makes sense for people who buy a lot of GunPla. But for someone like me who's basically really into the 00 series and maybe the AGE series later, it's not that much of a problem.

But I'm just a bit annoyed that these RG kits take up the MG kits' release slots.

However still, I've noticed Bandai and Sunrise designing GunPla and Gundam anime series to make it so that a lot of rehash type of kits are possible..

Example?

Gundam AGE

AGE-1 Normal --> AGE-1 Titus --> AGE-1 Sparrow

Very limited changes, yet they're all "new" MG releases.

Speaking of the AGE series, I hope that we get the MG G-Exes (spelling?)...the suit that Woolf pilots. =) ... and if we get that, we might even get the MG Genoace guys.

.
.
.
And by "rehash" I mean "cost cutting measures".

I think we're going to see similar things for a while, and Bandai cutting corners with the MG kits.

And the PG kits... I think they're just a waste totally.

- high cost to make
- high cost to buy
- ridiculously large amount of parts
- ridiculously large kit

Yea they're nice, but I'd rather get like 4 MG kits than 1 PG kits (give or take).

LoweGear 2012-01-25 14:04

New model pics from Hobby Japan:

MG Duel Gundam Assault Shroud

Spoiler for size:


RG Skygrasper + Sword and Launcher Strikers



RG Gundam Mk.II



HGAG Gundam AGE-2 Double Bullet



HGAG G-Bouncer


suiton629 2012-01-25 14:11

I wish they'd give G-Exes in MG form. Does anyone think it's gonna be done?

Appel 2012-01-25 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxnike629xx (Post 3967990)
I wish they'd give G-Exes in MG form. Does anyone think it's gonna be done?

it all depends on how well AGE kits are selling in general! and what i have heard so far (but that could just be wishful thinking from the guys at /m/ :P) AGE isnt selling all that well... well enough for them to release some MGs, 1/48 megasize models (which are just blown up HGs anyway) and a bunch of HGs. if the MGs dont sell well that that is as much as we are gonna get, they wont take the risk to make something that wont sell well.

suiton629 2012-01-25 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appel (Post 3968084)
it all depends on how well AGE kits are selling in general! and what i have heard so far (but that could just be wishful thinking from the guys at /m/ :P) AGE isnt selling all that well... well enough for them to release some MGs, 1/48 megasize models (which are just blown up HGs anyway) and a bunch of HGs. if the MGs dont sell well that that is as much as we are gonna get, they wont take the risk to make something that wont sell well.

Damn. LOL I bet Bandai regrets doing the AGE series then? =P

I feel like they're gonna go back to Unicorn, 00, Seed Destiny, Seed, Wing, G, X, etc... and do ver 2.0's, MG's, HG's, RG's, etc from those and skimp out on the Age.

I ws going to get the AGE Master Grade kits, but lookin at the AGE-1 Normal, I keep getting the vibe of slightly improved & larger scale HG kits or 1/100 No Grade.

Am I being crazy or has anyone else gotten that feeling? I mean it doesn't feel like a full MG kit.

I was expecting like a full inner frame and at least LED's to light up the A in the chest.

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2012-01-25 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoweGear (Post 3967982)
New model pics from Hobby Japan:
HGAG Gundam AGE-2 Double Bullet


All of them look gorgeous except for Double Bullet. Hmm...I don't know why but I was constantly turned off by most of AGE's Gundam designs. Maybe due to their too-simple nature. I mean, if we jump from series to series (e.g. Wing -> SEED -> SEED Destiny -> Stargazer -> 00 -> Unicorn), the Gundam designs are mostly an improvement from before. But when AGE came, it all comes down :(.

Appel 2012-01-25 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxnike629xx (Post 3968108)
Damn. LOL I bet Bandai regrets doing the AGE series then? =P

I feel like they're gonna go back to Unicorn, 00, Seed Destiny, Seed, Wing, G, X, etc... and do ver 2.0's, MG's, HG's, RG's, etc from those and skimp out on the Age.

I ws going to get the AGE Master Grade kits, but lookin at the AGE-1 Normal, I keep getting the vibe of slightly improved & larger scale HG kits or 1/100 No Grade.

Am I being crazy or has anyone else gotten that feeling? I mean it doesn't feel like a full MG kit.

I was expecting like a full inner frame and at least LED's to light up the A in the chest.

they probably dont regret it. the sales could be better but as far as i have heard they arent exactly terrible either.
also, if they would regret it then they wouldnt have announced so many HGs for the second generation already!
AGE wont bomb and they dont regret anything.

Butagami 2012-01-25 16:37

Does anyone know yet what that gimmick on Double Bullet's back legs is? Can't say I really like the design, but it does have some potential, since you can pose it with four beamsabers simultaneously which is always awesome *cough*like bandai is giving us four effect parts, cheap bastards *cough*

Appel 2012-01-25 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butagami (Post 3968159)
Does anyone know yet what that gimmick on Double Bullet's back legs is? Can't say I really like the design, but it does have some potential, since you can pose it with four beamsabers simultaneously which is always awesome *cough*like bandai is giving us four effect parts, cheap bastards *cough*

i havent even noticed that before :I no idea what that might be used for^^

suiton629 2012-01-25 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appel (Post 3968165)
i havent even noticed that before :I no idea what that might be used for^^

Bandai is definitely doing some severe cost cutting with the AGE series kits. I mean that AG line was just crap, and a way for them to spam out kits for the arcade game thing.

The HG kits are pretty good, but the MG kits...wow...just wow...

MakubeX2 2012-01-25 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkWarrior (Post 3967792)
I'd argue that MG is the new NG 1/100. Looking at the MG Age-1 Normal, I can see stuff you'd normally expect in NG 1/100 kits (like sliding the arms and legs into place). And given that Bandai has confirmed 9(!) MGs so far this year when it's still only January, this seems to indicate they're going for quantity over quality. Not that I'm complaining though.

Japan reported a trade deflict for 2011 just today and it is evident that it had hit Bandai hard. It is clear that this new direction is their way to whip their profit margin back into shape. Like you said, it's quantity over quality, so be prepared to forgo the complexity of the old MGs, expect to get less bang for your buck and see more upscaled HG-esque construction. But who cares as long as the end product looks good, right ? I expect more colour seperation to the point that painting is redundant for my MGs for the price I'm paying now, BTW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoweGear (Post 3967982)
New model pics from Hobby Japan:

MG Duel Gundam Assault Shroud

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...01b65962dd.jpg

Even at this size, the Boxart preview already looks impressive :eek:

What are you talking about ? It's still the same old tired weapons-pointing-outward-towards camera pose that they had reused again and again I've pointed out a few post back :-

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6696/27512831.jpg
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2950/78594218.jpg
http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/2299/91680786.jpg

Should you require more examples, I'll be happy to oblige

maknaedik 2012-01-25 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox (Post 3967678)
A question for all you model junkies.

With the upstart of 1/144 RG line which are very close to MG except in size, do you think this will affect MG releases in the future as MG moves more and more towards PG quality wise?

Bandia can't maintain every model line financially, eventually recession will come.

I see 3 scenarios:

a) MG will become more rare with only a few releases a year, RG will become standard mainline modeller grade, PG will become exstinct, HGUC will stop.

b) MG will continue normaly, RG will be slower and just replace HGUC as general fanline. HGUC will see alot less releases. PG will remain, but just 1 every 3-4 years.

c) RG will fail and stop, more MG will come (min 2 per month), HGUC will go more general then just UC. PG remains mistery.

I'm a 1/100 MG man myself, i bought a RG strike because i'm a strike fan, but now i hesitate to get a RG freedom. So do we jump on teh wagon of RG or not?

a) I actually thought that it will be the case. Since last year, RGs are taking MG spots. But now, I don't think so. With a lot of MGs on the way and it seems like an MG feast actually, I'm thinking that they have thought of an effective to cost-cut MGs, particularly, the Age line MGs. Just look at RG skygrasper and RG MK-II, there will still be MGs released for those months and for Rebruary, will be actually getting two. I also think that there will be another MG for April, maybe from Seed line again.

b) Nope, HGUC will never become extinct. Among all the lines, it's Bandai's biggest with having the most choices and the cheapest (except for cheap AG, EG, FG and NGs)

c)I don't think RGs will stop. Though it's slowly produced, I think it's due to the fact that it's more pricey and it's not an ideal buy because of its price. Of course, it's a space saver, in 1/144 scale, but there are people like me who prefer 1/100 than 1/144s. Besides, they are not supposed to be "anime accurate" with having many extra lines and looks pla-plated versions.

suiton629 2012-01-25 20:36

I think that's more than enough examples. =P But what he's more referring to is the actual kits themselves. They're losing complexity and quality.

Evidence.

MG Age 1 Normal

Looks more like an HG kit. Anyway, they're definitely scaling back and cost cutting left & right.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.