AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam Models Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

kgrodriguez 2016-03-21 05:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor (Post 5807242)
Well, since I have them, Iíll humbly tell you that MG Unicorn/Banshee 50% shit. The overall kit is flimsy due to the old-engineered transformation and, in same case, it wonít be able to stand on its own. Itís not worth your money unless youíre a die-hard fan of the detailed design and really want it in 1/100 scale, or if you're an advanced modeller and want to mod the hell out of it. It doesnít even look good in Destroy Mode as you can see how much longer and disproportionate the MG legs become in that mode. The Unicorn/Banshee HG, RD & PG are generally much better construction-wise imo.

MG Nu Ka, however, is worth it. It might not worth every penny since the kit has some flaws like the shitty Funnel attachment and some complaints about the weak wrist when itís holding the beam rifle and some do not like the shoulder joints. But those are still minor complaints and the funnels themselves can still be beautifully displayed with the included action base. And unlike MG Unicorn Destroy Mode, it looks proportionate and gorgeous in my humble opinion (with silver stickers under the clear psychoframe that MG Unicorn/Banshee lacks). So yeah, MG Nu Ka is more expensive than MG Banshee for a (good) reason.

So, for me: MG Nu ver. Ka all the way.

Appreciate the really detailed review! I was leaning towards Nu ver. Ka, so I'd probably go with it.

That said, I'd still want to have at least one MG Unicorn, so what can you guys suggest? MG Unicorn, MG Unicorn ver. Ka Code 852, or MG Banshee?

One more. I'm really enjoying building RG models as well. I currently have Red Astray. I read that OO-Raiser is one of the best RG models. What other RGs can you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2016-03-21 06:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgrodriguez (Post 5807268)
Appreciate the really detailed review! I was leaning towards Nu ver. Ka, so I'd probably go with it.

That said, I'd still want to have at least one MG Unicorn, so what can you guys suggest? MG Unicorn, MG Unicorn ver. Ka Code 852, or MG Banshee?

Whether it’s MG Unicorn or Banshee (or Phenex), it depends on your taste:

If you opted for Unicorn, I suggest you get the one with the MS Cage. MG Unicorn is a brick kit. There’s not much poses you can get out of it. So might as well display it with the nice hangar-ish action base that is the MS Cage. IMO It was the perfect display package for MG Unicorn (especially for a kit that most likely won’t be able to stand):

http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig10/10106671.jpg

But if “Overkill” is your middle name then you can always get the Full Armor version:

http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig16/10163434.jpg


If you prefer Banshee then I suggest you buy the normal one. It’s better than the MG Banshee Norn with its oversized shield that it holds awkwardy on its arm. So yeah, normal edition all the way:

http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig17/10174513.jpg

or the Titanium Finish version if you like shiny things and have the money:

http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig20/10204347.jpg


And if you like blink2x gold then you can pick MG Phenex:

http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig25/10255365.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgrodriguez (Post 5807268)
One more. I'm really enjoying building RG models as well. I currently have Red Astray. I read that OO-Raiser is one of the best RG models. What other RGs can you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance everyone!

RG 00 Raiser is indeed worth every penny. Just go and get it. Oh, and RG Strike Freedom & RG Wing Gundam Ka are nice too.

Skye629 2016-03-21 06:37

Tossing in my 2 cents on the MG Unicorn. I dont own one but I helped my bro build his, so thats enough

Get the MS Cage unless you prefer FA, Banshee, or Phenex (and by that I mean MUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE THAT MG for whatever reason). The display is worth the extra cost and you could always turn it into an epic diorama or worst case use the cage for another MS while doing whatever with the Unicorn.

On another note avoid the original Unicorn Ver.Ka, its knee bends were slightly fixed with new parts in later releases, so theres no reason to get it unless you can somehow find it for dirt cheap (like HG/RG prices)

kgrodriguez 2016-03-21 06:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor (Post 5807285)

But if ďOverkillĒ is your middle name then you can always get the Full Armor...

...

RG 00 Raiser is indeed worth every penny. Just go and get it. Oh, and RG Strike Freedom & RG Wing Gundam Ka are nice too.

Are there no weight issues with the Full Armor?

I think I'm sold with eventually getting the RG (after my upcoming MG build). Wing Gundam is also among my favorite Gundams so I'd probably get that.

Not really a big fan of SFreedom (i still think Freedom looks better animated) but since I already have an HG, MG Full Burst, and SD, i'd probably eventually get the RG as well just to sort of complete the set.

Speaking of the SFreedom MG Full Burst, I have yet to build it. It was given to me as a gift a few months ago and I intend to build it this week. Will I have a blast building this kit? (Just trying to hype myself more)

kgrodriguez 2016-03-21 06:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skye629 (Post 5807293)
Tossing in my 2 cents on the MG Unicorn. I dont own one but I helped my bro build his, so thats enough

Get the MS Cage unless you prefer FA, Banshee, or Phenex (and by that I mean MUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE THAT MG for whatever reason). The display is worth the extra cost and you could always turn it into an epic diorama or worst case use the cage for another MS while doing whatever with the Unicorn.

On another note avoid the original Unicorn Ver.Ka, its knee bends were slightly fixed with new parts in later releases, so theres no reason to get it unless you can somehow find it for dirt cheap (like HG/RG prices)

Appreciate it!

I really like how the Unicorn in Destroy Mode looks so I've always wanted one in 1/100 scale. I really appreciate the suggestions and comments as I dont really want to spend much money on something that will end up disappointing me.

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2016-03-21 07:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgrodriguez (Post 5807297)
Are there no weight issues with the Full Armor?

Oh, absolutely. With all those weapons, you won't be able to move the arms, unless you used the giant axe with that pose you see in the box cover. As for the giant fuel tanks on its back, it has stands for it. So yeah, Full Armor will make the brick MG Unicorn even more brick-y. But some people like to display Unicorn just standing with all those weapons attached.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgrodriguez (Post 5807297)
Speaking of the SFreedom MG Full Burst, I have yet to build it. It was given to me as a gift a few months ago and I intend to build it this week. Will I have a blast building this kit? (Just trying to hype myself more)

Yes, it's a great MG. Just be extra careful when you build the wings coz it has motion mechanism where if you move one section of the rear wing upwards, both the rear and front sections of the wings will automatically spread following the movements. And don't be hasty with the effect parts for the Dragoons (those clear sticks). Think carefully about what pose you wanna do with it and then use some hot water to bend the effect parts based on the pose you decided. If you bend it dry hastily and in the wrong way, you can render the effect parts useless and it won't be able to support the Dragoons anymore. For the wings, just follow the manual closely and you'll be fine. As for the effect parts, reading or watching reviews of it first is recommended.

Router25 2016-03-21 12:20

Somehow forecasting the future, but would you rather get an MG Unicorn 2.0 or an RG Unicorn?

Skye629 2016-03-21 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Router25 (Post 5807483)
Somehow forecasting the future, but would you rather get an MG Unicorn 2.0 or an RG Unicorn?

MG 2.0 unless the RG follow the HG route and makes 2 kits for each mode to improve stability. There NO way the full transformation in 1/144 will not be a utter wreck/pita

Skye629 2016-03-23 19:04

1/100 Graze Kai announced with pictues. Also comes with parts to turn it into a Graze Ground type with the modifed feet and back sword mount (in regular green colors, will have to paint for anime accuracy). Also comes with the optional rocket launcher/ shoulder mounts for the Kai

Will probably see a Ryuseigo because of this at sone point

Jestersage 2016-03-24 13:36

some people say Graze Ein is technically a 1/100 Graze named as 1/144. Think it's true?

skaianDestiny 2016-03-24 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jestersage (Post 5809783)
some people say Graze Ein is technically a 1/100 Graze named as 1/144. Think it's true?

Absolutely not. The inner frame torso is exactly the same as the regular Graze. It's the limbs that are different, as they are much longer.

kgrodriguez 2016-03-25 04:03

Hey guys, another question. I've watched videos on this but I still wanted to ask: I'm about to use the Gundam Marker Pour Type for panel linings. How long should I let it set before wiping / erasing the excess ink? (And what could you suggest I use in removing said excess ink?)

Thanks!

Skye629 2016-03-25 04:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgrodriguez (Post 5810236)
Hey guys, another question. I've watched videos on this but I still wanted to ask: I'm about to use the Gundam Marker Pour Type for panel linings. How long should I let it set before wiping / erasing the excess ink? (And what could you suggest I use in removing said excess ink?)

Thanks!

Depends on the part you are inking (channel size, length, etc.). Its a matter of personal experience. You'll figure it out as you use it more. The first few pieces you do pay close attention to how long it takes. Your environments temp and humidity can also affect how fast it dries.

For wash type techniques use tissue and/or cotton swabs to clean up excess depending on how much spills over. Use rubbing alcohol if needed

wavehawk 2016-03-25 04:57

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-i3caJMB0X...25980060_o.jpg

kgrodriguez 2016-03-25 05:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skye629 (Post 5810268)
Depends on the part you are inking (channel size, length, etc.). Its a matter of personal experience. You'll figure it out as you use it more. The first few pieces you do pay close attention to how long it takes. Your environments temp and humidity can also affect how fast it dries.

For wash type techniques use tissue and/or cotton swabs to clean up excess depending on how much spills over. Use rubbing alcohol if needed

Thanks! Appreciate it.

Tormenk 2016-03-27 03:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Router25 (Post 5807483)
Somehow forecasting the future, but would you rather get an MG Unicorn 2.0 or an RG Unicorn?

My only complaint with the MG Unicorn is the small head which would not justify a 2.0 so RG Unicorn. Also because the RG Sinanju would invariably follow suit.

Also I don't think I can ever relive the trauma of ver. Ka decals again. :eyespin:

Skye629 2016-03-27 06:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tormenk (Post 5811856)
My only complaint with the MG Unicorn is the small head which would not justify a 2.0 so RG Unicorn. Also because the RG Sinanju would invariably follow suit.

Also I don't think I can ever relive the trauma of ver. Ka decals again. :eyespin:

Nobody forced you to USE the Ver.Ka decals :p

Tormenk 2016-03-27 09:42

I was all gung-ho back then with the Unicorn as my third MG. Besides, it felt like a challenge from Katoki, "Bet you can't apply all this decals perfectly now can you?". The things I thought up to extend the gunpla building experience. :heh:

That aside, definitely looking to pick up the Kimaris Trooper now that I've gotten a better understanding of it. Good surface detail and a slimmer profile makes it stand out plus the Destroyer Lance just looks awesome.

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2016-03-27 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tormenk (Post 5812134)
I was all gung-ho back then with the Unicorn as my third MG. Besides, it felt like a challenge from Katoki, "Bet you can't apply all this decals perfectly now can you?". The things I thought up to extend the gunpla building experience. :heh:

For me, the key is to apply the decals while the parts are still on the tree (if you don’t plan to paint it, only to coat it), or you can apply it when the parts are still separated. For me, applying all the decals on MG Unicorn & Banshee wasn't that hard (easy, even). My true nightmare is applying the line dry-transfer decals around on the curvy and spiky legs of MG Epyon Ka/EW :upset:. That needs some real skill to do it perfectly.

Ikaoru 2016-04-01 05:05

Hi guys...

I'm curious if there's a site for replacement parts from mg to rg?

I look at my old collection but my strike freedom got damage :/

It cost $30 to buy a whole unit just to replace a waist piece :/


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:42.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.