AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Emotional anime suitible for a seven-year-old (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=63112)

Reno 2008-03-01 18:33

Emotional anime suitible for a seven-year-old

...Yeah. I wanna get my little sister in to anime!! :D But I can't think of one that's suitible. Elfen Lied and Monster are definately out of the question. I was going to show Haibane Renmei but I think the end is a bit rough... and Mushishi... is very hard to understand and there are a few freaky scenes. Soo can anyone suggest one that IS suitible, but not as lame kiddish as Pokemon or something? I'm sure you'll come up with something... you're all geniuses. :D

Oh yes and emotion is an important factor. :D

jedinat 2008-03-01 18:41

Full Moon wo Sagashite
Kaleido Star
Card Captor Sakura
Take a look at those.

Copycatken 2008-03-01 18:41

I think that Shugo Chara may be a good choice. It's an anime that's upbeat and not violent at all. Since it's aimed at young girls (I think), your sister should enjoy it :).

migus_parvus 2008-03-01 18:43

Any of the World Masterpiece Theater Anime (see Princess Sarah, Remy, etc.) Stuff is classic, clean, emotional and they do tackle serious topics.

Give her some of Miyazaki's works, My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service.

you can also try Daa Daa Daa. it's for kids and also a comedy but has a lot of family life and friendship drama dynamic. Its often emotional but even as a 20+ year old i can still watch and laugh at it.

fuzzles 2008-03-01 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copycatken (Post 1433518)
I think that Shugo Chara may be a good choice. It's an anime that's upbeat and not violent at all. Since it's aimed at young girls (I think), your sister should enjoy it :).

yes young girls and 17 year old boys i second it

Aishiteruze Baby I would recommend it's cute and my cute little 9 year old cousin loves it and it's also got an emotional factor

SeijiSensei 2008-03-01 18:58

I'd start with something like Angelic Layer or CardCaptor Sakura or a movie like Spirited Away. Another excellent, though darker, series for young girls is the lovely Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu. It's was designed for younger viewers using very short episodes (~10 min each) and a quick story rehash at the beginning of each one. That format drove me crazy watching it as an adult, but the story itself is quite rich and beautifully animated.

Dennou Coil might be another option; the main characters are all about ten years old. The story might not hold a seven-year-old's attention though, particularly in the latter part when it gets darker and more complex.

You might also consider Seirei no Moribito, which began as a children's novel, I believe. Again she might find the plot a bit baffling at times, but I bet she'll like the young prince and the other children in the show. Not to mention she gets to watch a terrific female role model, Balsa the bodyguard.

teachopvutru 2008-03-01 20:27

3rd Cardcaptor Sakura.

Also to add Bamboo Blade - It's about kendo and I think it's exciting, funny, and cute but if you have any doubt, check it first. :)

<--- My avatar right now is from the series.

Utter_iMADNESS 2008-03-01 20:54

The first anime that I ever showed my little sister was Haruhi Suzumiya and she really enjoyed it. She also enjoyed watching Lucky Star.

Reno 2008-03-01 22:02

WOAH fast replies!! O_O Thanks everyone!! :D

KholdStare 2008-03-01 22:31

I'll fourth Cardcaptor Sakura because it's really one of the only anime with a suitable emotional theme for that age group.

I would also recommend Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

The Chaos 2008-03-01 22:52

I Second Full Moon wo Sagashite

Phantasmagoria 2008-03-01 22:53

2nd, Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu (KOTOKO: Hey DuDiDuWa, let's sing in the sky, lalalalala~), 5th Cardcaptor Sakura and suggest Nanatsuiro Drops (Kaori Utatsuki:Shining Stars Bless~)

Cute anime :nod: The 3 of them, really cute :nod:

KholdStare 2008-03-01 23:12

Actually, I second Nanatsuiro Drops.

oompa loompa 2008-03-01 23:25

fifth to cardcaptor sakura

EDIT:

a second to gakuen alice

(kyuusais reccomendation ) - haha i kinda enjoyed it too. its good fun

Deus ex Digital Boy 2008-03-01 23:51

I'm going with the still-airing Shugo Chara. Very excellent shoujo and loads of fun.

kayos 2008-03-02 00:14

Studio Ghibli animations are great for children. (... ok, some)

Try:

1. My Neighbor Totoro
2. Kiki's Delivery Sevice
3. Spirited Away

Vagrant0 2008-03-02 00:15

Aria. Although it might be followed by requests to visit Italy. It's a good series which isn't over-simplified, but still doesn't have any content that anyone would object to. But don't think it's dubbed, so despite the fact of how good a series it is, it might not go over well if there is opposition to reading.

I will also speak against Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. The animation style is a bit dated, is an OVA, and may at times be a bit more violent than you would like. It is however dubbed IIRC, and may be easier to find for rent in a video store.

There are plenty of anime out there which aren't too questionable, so I guess the real issue is what her current interests are, and if she would prefer subs to dubs(one which many people can feel strongly about). You could certainly start with some dubbed series from the local library, or a video store, then transition to subs at a later date. Kinda hard to say really... There are some kids who can read good (I'm intentionally using bad grammar), and then there are some kids who have trouble reading, and who would have difficulty understanding what is going on. Your best bet might be to just try to use what you have available to you, and prescreen anything you think might be questionable.

KholdStare 2008-03-02 00:25

Nausicaa is violent? I don't think so. I was going for the availability of dubbed version, because I don't really think 7 year olds will have a great attention span having to read everything... Animation shouldn't matter as long as the story is good, which in this case, it is. It's no more violent than many of the TV-Y7 shows.

Actually make sure to get the dubbed version for Cardcaptor Sakura called Cardcaptors. This will probably be the only time in my life that I will recommend it. I'm serious here. I don't want to be responsible if your little sister ask about same-sex relationships and what a sister complex is.

Kyuusai 2008-03-02 00:57

Gakuen Alice (aka "Alice Academy").

My little sister adores the show, and I actually enjoyed it, myself. :)

BearShare 2008-03-02 01:18

Sixth Card Captor Sakura