AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   News & Politics (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   French law banning all piracy? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=58362)

Sety 2007-11-23 17:00

French law banning all piracy?

Saw this as a rather major bit of news especially for the French members at least. Given what Animesuki specializes in I'm wondering how it could effect future laws in other countries.

Quote:

French web users caught pirating movies or music could soon be thrown offline.

Those illegally sharing files will face the loss of their net access thanks to a newly-created anti-piracy body granted the wide-ranging powers.

The anti-piracy body comes out of a deal agreed by France's music and movie makers and its net firms.

The group who brokered the deal said the measures were intended to curb casual piracy rather than tackle large scale pirate groups.
Read this link for more.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7110024.stm

mist2123 2007-11-23 17:04

I've read this on yahoo news but its impossible to ban piracy Online.

NightShade 2007-11-23 17:26

They actually could ban a lot of it.... ISPs knows what are you downloading and everything.... well they can if they want xD

kitto-chan 2007-11-23 17:29

I believe only if the movies are under the protection of the French government. IE. any shows not license by a company located in France, the French government should and could not be consider piracy since no company in France has claim to is.

Vexx 2007-11-24 04:02

O those wacky French....

minhtam1638 2007-11-24 04:56

I'm looking at the consequences, and the only effect I see hurting the user would be that future episodes cannot be downloaded. Strange, since the damage has already been done.

genryou 2007-11-24 05:15

well, the law could prevent the damage from spreading...

WanderingKnight 2007-11-24 10:13

Well, I've heard all sorts of awful things about Sarkozy's approach towards IT in general... especially the conclusion that free software for the most part may violate the copyright holders' rights and that software patents are the way to innovate... So I wouldn't be surprised if his administration pulled something like this out of the blue :uhoh:

Hotaru Suzume 2007-11-24 10:50

Quote:

The group who brokered the deal said the measures were intended to curb casual piracy rather than tackle large scale pirate groups.
I s'pose AnimeSuki counts as a large-scale pirate group, so we should be fine, lol.

Jokes aside, no ruling body can completely eliminate any type of crime... "The more rules are made, the more criminals there will be". I wonder how they'd go about taking people offline, 'cause banning IPs won't hinder anyone with access to multiple computers and a memory stick, much. xD And they'd get complaints from other people who use the same computers. :)

Silasj 2007-11-24 13:55

That's so french

Ending 2007-11-24 17:46

I guess this means that the there will no longer be any Internets for the french people. Not that I'm sad or anything. :D

User65554 2007-11-24 18:21

Can't say I'm suprised, coming from Sarkozy's France.

Although, what's in it for the ISP? They're giveing information that will lose them customers, so I'm curious what the agreement between them and the music and film makers was.

High_Lord_Demonix 2007-11-24 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 1268396)
O those wacky French....

HEY I was gonna say that no fair stealing my lines

Aoie_Emesai 2007-11-24 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightShade (Post 1267806)
They actually could ban a lot of it.... ISPs knows what are you downloading and everything.... well they can if they want xD

This would depend on how they regulate it. I'm sure everyone is downloading illegal materials from the internet, the ISPs know it, but until there's a law governing on what is lowly rated to what is instant ban, it'll stay the same.

User65554 2007-11-24 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai (Post 1269232)
This would depend on how they regulate it. I'm sure everyone is downloading illegal materials from the internet, the ISPs know it, but until there's a law governing on what is lowly rated to what is instant ban, it'll stay the same.

Well, from what I could make out, it seems that for downloading copyrighted material (films, music, etc), you will be warned once and then banned. This agreement was between the film+music industry and the ISPs, so chances are thats what it'll affect. No idea how it will effect non-French copyrighted material (such as anime or even foriegn music).

Miles Teg 2007-11-25 05:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by VK-Pitt (Post 1269239)
Well, from what I could make out, it seems that for downloading copyrighted material (films, music, etc), you will be warned once and then banned. This agreement was between the film+music industry and the ISPs, so chances are thats what it'll affect. No idea how it will effect non-French copyrighted material (such as anime or even foriegn music).

The anti-piracy body will be the one to find the "pirate" and send to them the different mail (through your ISP) and the ISP will do everything they can to help the anti-piracy body,

If the anti-piracy body, want to put a filter on a protocol (Bittorent for example) or to completely cut off a website then the ISP will have to obey has fast as possible (a judge will have to give an authorization for that).

You will be warned twice by e-mail, once by mail and after that you will be banned (some time before that your internet will be cut for a short period of time) and your name will be put on a black list.

The ISP will have to experiment all the type of filter that exist for P2P application (protocol, port...) , website or file before the end of 2009.

Kewego, Google and Dailymotion have refused to signed the deal, and all the French consumer group are against.

The only good thing in this deal is that the DRM on French music (and only French) should disappear next year.

One more thing if this deal show some sign of being able to stop piracy (I don't think that will happen :d ) then it's possible that other European country adopt the same thing.

Now we are waiting to see what the law (who is probably already written) will look like and when it will be proposed to the parliament.

Kitsune 2007-11-25 06:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silasj (Post 1268929)
That's so french

I agree :D

Ban piracy online?:twitch: That's a sacrilege only said by those ones who doesn't know anything about internet, let them try if they still have any neurone on their brain maybe they will understand that is impossible ;P

Eviltape 2007-11-25 07:37

Hmm, anyone betting a French version or at least knockoff of Share/Winny/Perfect Dark will be released?

User65554 2007-11-25 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles Teg (Post 1269991)
One more thing if this deal show some sign of being able to stop piracy (I don't think that will happen :d ) then it's possible that other European country adopt the same thing.

Yep, Britain are considering bringing in similar laws

Sazelyt 2007-11-25 14:24

That is strange.

I would not be surprised, if they have targeted the people who are mainly downloading non-French stuff.

I also wouldn't be surprised if people uploading French stuff to other parts of the world would be awarded directly by the Government for their contribution to the spread of the French culture.

But, making no separation is definitely something to surprise about, at least for me.