AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam Models Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

Deus EpS Machina 2007-01-14 23:29

I couldnt care less for Katoki's designs. I love them, theyre great but the man cant do much aside from a certain style that he uses over and over. I dont like him cuz i dislike his designs, i dont like him due to a lack of variety. Aside from his work in Sentinel, its been largely the same even when he did stuff for SRW.

Who i really like is BEE-CRAFT as theyre cleaning up good designs by a designer who cant seem to make a decent lineart, Okawara.

Kawamori is my all time favourite though is Kazumi Fujita for his amazing range of designs in Zeta. Kawamori being a close second.

kct 2007-01-14 23:49

Okawara was good in the older stuff, although his newer designs were short of horrible (*cough*Strike Freedom*cough*). You have to remember that he made the Zeta Gundam's transformation workable though, otherwise we'll see another Hyaku case.

BEE-CRAFT was definitely excellent, they are always called up for newer Sunrise animes (like Stargazer, one of them was in Code Geass, and now they are in for the upcoming Idolm@ster anime, which coincidentally have Daisuke Ono as VA of one of the characters). Hence I see that it is a good idea to have them as the primary disigners for the MG kits (and the current GSD 1/100s). There is certainly a massive difference between their redesigns and the original designs (case in point, *cough*Strike Freedom*cough*), but it is all good.

Kawamori, the one who did the Macross designs? He's definitely one of the most influential designers out there, even if there is people who disliked anything by him.

I can't blame Katoki for the 'general' layout he got for all his linearts (even one of his latest designs, the SRW Original Generations' ART-1, looked like a massively redesigned Zeta Plus), since he look at things from a 3D to 2D standpoint. Also, some of his redesigns did spur some improvements of certain kits.

Deus EpS Machina 2007-01-15 00:18

forgot to post...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/EpS_01/katoki.jpg

Now, i dont know the designs for SRW, but i do know Katoki when i see it.

Okawara may be horrible at doing linearts, but his stuff is still more varied than Katoki's, even if Okawara recycles his stuff (DX and Freedom, Vigna Zerah and Savior). That and his stuff looks good in animation.

Kawamori Shoji, yes, he did Macross, Escaflowne, and has been the main mecha designer for the Armored Core seires for pretty much franchise's history. What's more (simple novelty but cool nonetheless) is that he's been using his designs from other seris in AC. For example, in the last AC game there were parts for Physallis' legs, iv heard of other accounts but im not sure myself.

I forgot to mention Izubuchi...Nu Gundam's half-drawn cape style Funnel rack is stylish and classy

kct 2007-01-15 00:32

Hah. If Nu is awesome, Hi-Nu is epic.

The Huckebein (the large one next to Wing Ka) are definitely his design (it's written on SRW's oficial site or something...funny that they're the most Gundam-like in terms of appearance...all versions are like Gundam of SRW)...and it has been the source of a rumoured controversy bought up by Sunrise (also created rumours that Banpresto are eliminating Huckebeins from their future games...not true though).

I don't remember about all the R-series and the Wild series, though I might be mistaken.

Of course, back to Kawamori...his 0083 work with Katoki made it great in terms of mechanics (although the same could not be said about the plot...). Not to mention Macross becoming legendry.

Hmmm...anyone forgotten about Nagano?

Deus EpS Machina 2007-01-15 01:10

http://www.gearsonline.net/designers/

many designers...

duotiga 2007-01-15 08:29

Any Kit wishes for this year? :D besides Hi-Nu?

LightningZERO 2007-01-15 09:02

Destiny Gundam :D

duotiga 2007-01-15 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightningZERO (Post 801258)
Destiny Gundam :D

i want the predecessor in 1/144HG or 1/100 -> Destiny Impulse:heh:

kct 2007-01-15 09:59

Of course, a MG Impulse would be sweet. Based on kitbashes and VP's upcoming Sword Impulse conversion for MG Freedom, there is a lot that can be done.

SNT1 2007-01-15 11:03

Wish list huh? While I necessarily wont buy them (lol), I wanna see:

Strike Noir
Destiny Gundam
Hazel (dont care which variation; just dont rehash the old GM quel parts)
GM Sniper II
Nightengale
Gaplant Fiver
Tallgeese (dont care which variation)
Epyon
Double X

lycantivis 2007-01-15 11:19

Yea its quiet suprising to see that they is only 2 MG wing/waltz models when its probly the most known of all the gundam eras.

SNT1 2007-01-15 11:28

^not really... Its not as big in Japan as it is in here in North America... but to have spawned MG and PG kits off the series its not unpopular either.

lycantivis 2007-01-15 11:55

Yea, I guess coming from america my idea of what is popular is different. And I keep hearing bad things about the PG wing. Is there something about the MG wings I should know? Cause I'm planing on geting a wing ver ka.

Derringer 2007-01-15 12:54

MG wing zero custom aren't correct to the lineart, but you probably won't care about that.

The Wing ver Ka has trouble holding its rifle, mostly because any huge gun usually becomes a glorified walking stick.

lycantivis 2007-01-15 14:07

Yea I have learned about the fabled walking sticks of gundam lol. My FAZZ has fallen victom to it, suprisingly my GP02 hasn't tho.

SNT1 2007-01-15 14:12

well, for one, GP02A's bazooka is connected to the backpack, and it has those feet :heh:

DarkWarrior 2007-01-15 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by kct (Post 800850)
BEE-CRAFT was definitely excellent, they are always called up for newer Sunrise animes (like Stargazer, one of them was in Code Geass, and now they are in for the upcoming Idolm@ster anime, which coincidentally have Daisuke Ono as VA of one of the characters). Hence I see that it is a good idea to have them as the primary disigners for the MG kits (and the current GSD 1/100s). There is certainly a massive difference between their redesigns and the original designs (case in point, *cough*Strike Freedom*cough*), but it is all good.

BEE-CRAFT is mixed bag for me. Sometimes they do great work, like the Seed MG kits. Strike-Freedom was vastly improved from the original lineart IMO (which was just hideous) without making drastic changes. On the other hand there are kits like 1/100 Saviour and I-Justice, which has some really odd changes. Saviour's wings were given a ugly redesign, and I-Justice was just a mess in general. And I'm certainly not a fan of the Stargazer stuff at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derringer (Post 801418)
MG wing zero custom aren't correct to the lineart, but you probably won't care about that.

To be honest, a lot of MGs are like that. They're reinterpretation of the original lineart more than anything. Sometimes people like the changes, other times they don't.

Copy Ninja Kakashi 2007-01-15 15:29

personally I would like to see a MG Destiny (probably the next MG in the CE kits) a 1/100 Gaia, 1/100 Strike Noir and 1/100 Akatsuki :)

dj898 2007-01-15 17:49

for me it'd be MSN-01.
I need the old 1/144 kit to use the reference point for my 1/100 building project...

in case you are wondering what the heck is MSN-01 it's one of MSV and pre-cusor of MSN-04 Zeong in UC.

Critias 2007-01-15 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by duotiga (Post 801241)
Any Kit wishes for this year? :D besides Hi-Nu?

MG Gundam X plz