AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Upcoming Archive (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   The Five Killers (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=51363)

dreamless 2007-07-19 06:38

The Five Killers

The Trailer

The Five Killers is an original creation from writer/producer Eric Calderon currently in development as an animated TV series (12 episodes with a 1 hour finale) with Studio Gonzo. The designs were created by up-and-coming manga artist Shigeki Maeshima and this pilot was animated under the direction of ‘Trinity Blood’ director Tomohiro Hirata.

The original script is being written by George Krstic (creator Megas XLR, series TV script writer for Star Wars Clone Wars) and famed US comic book writer Mark Waid (Kingdom Come, 52, JLA, and the Flash). For information, please email Eric Calderon using the link to the bottom right.

Story :
When the best five killers are hunted
by the ultimate assassin:
3 Die.
2 Survive.
1 Lives... Forever.
Set in the high tech, high stakes world of espionage and global conspiracy, The Five Killers reunites the world’s greatest assassins years after their bitter retirement. One of them has been found murdered, and the message is clear: they’re next.
They’re names are SWORD, BOMB, GUN, KNIFE, and VAMPIRE.

Looks GREAT :cool:

Super Ska Master 2007-07-19 14:35

The plot is lame and uncreative. But what can I honestly expect from an american? The trailer looked cool, but that plot has been definately done before (With way more creativity I might add). Gee..I wonder which lives forever. ummm vampire? duh.

Slice of Life 2007-07-19 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Ska Master (Post 1050262)
The plot is lame and uncreative. But what can I honestly expect from an american?

Apocalypse Now, Dead Man, Dark City, Natural Born Killers, Matrix, Blade Runner, ...

This shouts "Afro Samurai" at me though. Loudly. ANN will love it.

v1cious 2007-07-19 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slice of Life (Post 1050357)
Apocalypse Now, Dead Man, Dark City, Natural Born Killers, Matrix, Blade Runner, ...

This shouts "Afro Samurai" at me though. Loudly. ANN will love it.

i swear i hate when otakus say this. it's very sad that something can't be good just because it has American influences.

Slice of Life 2007-07-19 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1cious (Post 1050449)
it's very sad that something can't be good just because it has American influences.

Have you actually read what I wrote? I mean, it's only two lines ... two! :rolleyes: Well, whatever.

Nightengale 2007-07-19 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1cious (Post 1050449)
i swear i hate when otakus say this. it's very sad that something can't be good just because it has American influences.

He was being mildly sarcastic. He was answering Ska's 'what to expect from Americans' with his list. All of which... for most parts, are stuff that don't qualify for "stank".

He did not imply that the list he pointed out was shitty stuff of Americans.

dreamless 2007-07-20 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Ska Master (Post 1050262)
The plot is lame and uncreative. But what can I honestly expect from an american?

heh, at least you can expect the american to be less lame and uncreative than the japanese and their buckloads of senseless loli harem moe shows I guess.

TigerII 2007-07-20 12:17

What are you talking about? Nearly every plot from Japanese shows are done and cliche.

Anyways, this seemed more like a game to me.

v1cious 2007-07-20 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightengale (Post 1050527)
He was being mildly sarcastic. He was answering Ska's 'what to expect from Americans' with his list. All of which... for most parts, are stuff that don't qualify for "stank".

He did not imply that the list he pointed out was shitty stuff of Americans.

i was referring to the comment about it looking very "Afro Samurai". i'll admit outright it wasn't the best OAV, but Gonzo did a great job on the animation. i don't see why it's any worse, because it was made for an american audience.

orion 2007-07-20 12:43

True, but the character descriptions suck nevertheless. The plot is lame. The character designs are obviously Western influenced to go with their cliched code names. And they chose QuickTime for the promo instead of Windows which always sucks imo.

Could they not afford a Windows-based trailer?

Dagger 2007-07-20 16:41

We don't know anything about the plot yet, lol. Doubtless it will turn out to be about as substantial as Afro Samurai, but complaining about it at this point is like saying "Kanon sucks because it's about a bunch of girls and one guy" without even having seen Kanon. Anyway, I'm not seeing how those character designs are any more Western-influenced than other anime with blond characters... they were designed by a Japanese manga-ka, after all...

Quicktime works way better than WMP for me, so I'm glad they went with it.

Slice of Life 2007-07-20 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1cious (Post 1051801)
i was referring to the comment about it looking very "Afro Samurai". i'll admit outright it wasn't the best OAV, but Gonzo did a great job on the animation. i don't see why it's any worse, because it was made for an american audience.

:mad: You alleged (and allege again) something I didn't say, and even explicitly refuted in my first post. Why? Afro Samurai by any other audience would smell as bad. IMHO and YMMV. Last word. May other people judge over your and my line of reasoning.

orion 2007-07-21 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magus IX (Post 1052192)
We don't know anything about the plot yet, lol. Doubtless it will turn out to be about as substantial as Afro Samurai, but complaining about it at this point is like saying "Kanon sucks because it's about a bunch of girls and one guy" without even having seen Kanon. Anyway, I'm not seeing how those character designs are any more Western-influenced than other anime with blond characters... they were designed by a Japanese manga-ka, after all...

Quicktime works way better than WMP for me, so I'm glad they went with it.

The plot is as you see it in this thread and under "The Story" link on the website.

Well, the blond one is wearing revealing stuff that looks like a DC Comics type. The South African dude's hair style and overall design is Western.

They may be designed by a Japanese manga-ka and animated by a Japanese studio but it is based on a Western original concept with Western writers. :)

physics223 2007-07-21 11:40

I just hope for a good amount of action. I don't expect much, though. :)

ragnesis 2007-07-21 13:00

The trailer reminds me of the movie Collateral. Looks good. :)

Monkey D. Luffy 2007-07-21 13:36

Wow how terrible it's american concept with writers who are also american:mad: lol

I thought that the animation looks great from the little that we saw from the trailer and the characters look good they have western influences but I like the design by the manga-ka. Looks like it will be all action so I won't expect more from it, I'll watch it.

orion 2007-07-21 14:31

Well, it's a distinction nevertheless like OELs and manga imo. :)

dreamless 2007-07-22 05:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slice of Life (Post 1052352)
Afro Samurai by any other audience would smell as bad. IMHO and YMMV. Last word. May other people judge over your and my line of reasoning.

huh? I don't know where you get the idea that Afro Samurai "by any other audience would smell as bad". It's definitely not the case from what I know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by orion (Post 1051844)
True, but the character descriptions suck nevertheless. The plot is lame. The character designs are obviously Western influenced to go with their cliched code names.

lol, by your reasoning Kanon's character descriptions suck more, and its plot of "a boy solving problems for a bunch of girls" is much more lame. And code names are just... code names. Their code names are simple and serve their purpose, I don't see them being any more cliched than... say, stuff like "The Boss", "Big Boss", "Snake", "Ninja", etc.

Quote:

And they chose QuickTime for the promo instead of Windows which always sucks imo.

Could they not afford a Windows-based trailer?
Because there are people who are not using Windows/IE? Platform-independent format >>>>> MS-bound format.

Ama no Kagaseo 2007-07-22 15:35

On a side note, I thought Afro Samurai sucked.. Because it sucked. 'American' made or not, I appreciate something with a little more depth than just mindless action. The plot felt poorly written to me, as if it was written by some high school kid.

BUT THAT'S BESIDE THE POINT.

I will agree with the user who said this stinks of Afro Samurai. It's just mindless action from what I've gathered and nothing more than that. Even if the animation is godly, it's just not enough to draw me in.

orion 2007-07-22 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamless (Post 1054395)
lol, by your reasoning Kanon's character descriptions suck more, and its plot of "a boy solving problems for a bunch of girls" is much more lame. And code names are just... code names. Their code names are simple and serve their purpose, I don't see them being any more cliched than... say, stuff like "The Boss", "Big Boss", "Snake", "Ninja", etc.

But you're comparing this to a game franchise (Metal Gear Solid) now which is an apples and oranges deal. A half description of Kanon can not be used as a comparison as they are different genres, again an apples to oranges comparison.

Perhaps, you should use Black Lagoon as an example instead. (That's what R1 will do anyways I bet.) But here, there isn't any cliched code names, DC Comics designs or paper thin plot on the website. :)