AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Higurashi (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Higurashi Episode 4 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=31721)

kj1980 2006-04-25 12:47

Welcome to the discussion thread for Higurashi no Naku Koroni, Episode 4.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for RAWs.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the Game or Manga out of the anime thread. If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the Game / Manga, either PM them or use Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Usage

Using Spoiler Tags is easy. Using this...

[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use the spoiler title[/spoiler]

....will get you this...

Spoiler for title:

ADDITIONAL RULES FOR Higurashi no Naku Koroni
  • Make sure you read the English wikipedia article for Higurashi no Naku Koroni before you ask questions!!!
  • Feel free to share your theories and speculations. In fact, I encourage you to do so as this is what makes this series interesting.
  • I am designating Sushi-Y and Freakman to lead the discussion in the correct path without spoilers as they have played the game in advance. I put confidence in them that they will recognize a member has spilled the beans too far if any other members has begun to play the game.
  • SPOILERS FAR ADVANCED THAN THE CURRENT AIRED ANIME EPISODE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. THIS INCLUDES THOSE IN SPOILER TAGS!!!. People tend to peek at spoiler tags; especially when they do not know such tag is meant for the episode, only to find it spilling the beans too far advanced in the game storyline.

Srin Tuar 2006-04-25 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by kj1980
After looking at the pictures at 2chan, I'm dying to see Episode 4!!

Do you not watch the episodes live?

Im curious where in the world you are located at the moment.
Do you have to wait for some generous soul to upload raws like most of us ?

Freakman 2006-04-25 15:13

The episode only airs on Tuesdays in Kansai, not in all of Japan. And since Kj doesn't live in Kansai, he doesn't have access to that channel. He thus has to wait for Wednesday when it airs where he lives.

Just finished to watch episode 4, and I wonder if it'll make much sense to the first time viewers.
It concludes Onikakushi hen for better or for worse.
All in all I think it's a pretty good adaptation, even it seems to me
Spoiler:

Shiroth 2006-04-25 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Srin Tuar

Some of us use
Spoiler:

kj1980 2006-04-25 16:18

Quote:

Do you not watch the episodes live?

Im curious where in the world you are located at the moment.

"Higurashi no Naku Koroni" is one of those weird ones where they air in the Kansai region first before the Kanto area (it's usually the other way around). Well, at least it's only a day late to be shown on Chiba TV where I get reception - I'm thankful that I don't live in Kanagawa where I'd have to wait until Saturday.

Sushi-Y 2006-04-25 18:28

Just finished watching episode 4, and that's it for Onikakushi. Overall, it was tied up relatively nicely. Unfortunately, since the pacing was so fast, they were only able to lightly skim over most of the events. Even if the first-time viewers don't feel anything wrong with the pacing (since they don't have the original novel, which is far longer and more detailed, to compare with), I'm not even sure if they can form proper hypotheses or theories with these super-concentrated episodes.

Well, the general ideas have all been presented, so maybe that's good enough.

Spoiler for episode 4:

Kyousuke 2006-04-25 23:21

kj, where did you get that banner in your sig? Are there more?

m|rA| 2006-04-25 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Just finished watching episode 4, and that's it for Onikakushi. Overall, it was tied up relatively nicely. Unfortunately, since the pacing was so fast, they were only able to lightly skim over most of the events. Even if the first-time viewers don't feel anything wrong with the pacing (since they don't have the original novel, which is far longer and more detailed, to compare with), I'm not even sure if they can form proper hypotheses or theories with these super-concentrated episodes.

Well, the general ideas have all been presented, so maybe that's good enough.

Finished watching ep 4. I didn't play the game so i'm not sure how the pacing was in it but I too felt that the pacing seemed abit rushed for this ep and it got quite confusing for me to comprehend what was happening towards the end.

Spoiler for episode 4:

Eleutheria 2006-04-26 08:17

Watched episode 4.

Don't tell me this is going to be like Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon, where each chapter is the same thing told from a different viewpoint, and you get more and more confused.

nani 2006-04-26 11:15

Quote:

The objective is for you (the viewer) to figure out what the heck is going on. Just when you think you got it, you are bitch slapped in the face for being so wrong.

After watching episode 4, it is indeed what I am feeling right now.:heh: Anyway, I am forming another hypothesis after watching the preview of the next episode:

Spoiler for Episode 5 Preview:

Definitely looking forward to the new twists next week.

Xellos-_^ 2006-04-26 11:43

Just finish watching Ep4 :upset:

Spoiler:

kj1980 2006-04-26 14:48

Ooh. Nakahara Mai's maniacal laughter as Rena was great in this episode!! Too bad there wasn't the laughter/usoda! scenes which creeped the hell out of me in the original game, but that scene alone pulled it off rather well.

Overall, I think they did Onikakushi quite well for the time frame. It could've used a bit more detail that they had in the game, but for the casual viewer, 4 episodes per chapter sounds about right. Now we move onto Watanagashi, which gets even creepier (I hope they can pull the "chamber" scene well).

By the way, I kind of laid the basis of the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni wikipedia article, so anyone can feel free to update that as you may see it fit. Maybe character infos?

Guido 2006-04-26 18:14

I'm just came to a thin line to about starting to watch Higurashi no Naku Koroni. It's just plainly humongous the incredible amount of fandom that the game garnered in its native Japan, and now the expectations for the anime are paying off as a snowball rolling down the mountain side.

I downloaded the sub today at very late, nightly hours but could not bring myself to watch due to lack of sleep downloading other stuff. Nonetheless, I'm ready to watch the first episode tonight in the safe comfortability of my room. Of course, I will turn off the lights to create the gloomy atmosphere, while watching the episode on my laptop and laid down on my bed at the same time.

To kj1980,
Quote:

I have read every single entry throughout the entire thread, as well read thorough your Wikipedia entry for the game, but do not worry about me being spoiled. I do not feel spoiled with pics or posts, until I see the real thing of the episode by myself or at least a great deal of it.

Unfortunately, I'm one of that rare 1% of people who had never EVER played the game nor see what looks like. In fact, I never knew what were eroge until four months ago and thanks to one of your previous threads.

Though I must admit that I have doubts about choosing whether I want or not to watch this title, the anime called at first my attention not because of the 'hype' that is quickly building up but because of two things:

Number ONE.
Higurashi no Naku Koroni

In simple words, there is something about the long title that just grasped my eyes.

NUMBER TWO.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2...il032qi.th.jpg

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5...il067yt.th.jpg

Yep. Oyashiro-Rena points me out that the anime screams REDRUM REDRUM to me.

Can you imagine how many (only) psycho Rena pics I have been collecting from the futaba boards and saving them to my HD?

She has just hooked me up that I cannot cast her away from my head. God, something must be wrong with my brain like if I have been contaminated or poisoned. Am I ill? or is it perfectly normal?

The more I see her pics the more I driven off the edge to begin immediately the anime, but I'm afraid of doing so because it would seriously require me to crack my head open to come with an array of hundreds of theories and hypothesis regarding the mystery, once I start watching the anime.
Not that I complaining about, but I think that either nobody at this thread would take me seriously or whatever I start theorizing would have been already posted previously or been discussed over and over by someone else.

My second fear is if I would had access to the game, I believe I will be making a mistake by watching the anime first. More like the game is needed first to grasp and cover a lot of terrain for the viewer to know what's in store for.

I cannot guarantee anything, but I'll make sure to catch up with the episodes.

For a few last words, would you recommend me to watch the anime?, would it be a mind blowing experience?, is it really that shocking as other viewers commented? In short, once I begin there's no turning back, right?
There's only two hours before I'm done with office work, then leaving for home.
Desesperation is eating me from within.

Srin Tuar 2006-04-26 19:17

Thanks for all the replies about airing times and regions. I understand now :) :)

okay, episode 4

Spoiler:

kj1980 2006-04-26 20:07

Quote:

Well, I dont get it.

That's the whole point. It's obvious you don't get it. Less than 1% did when they first played Onikakushi.

Now, you have to figure out what the heck is going on. More clues and hints are to be revealed in later episodes (and chapters), and you have to connect the dots. By the time it gets to Tsumihoroboshi, you'll have a larger scope of things on what Keiichi was under, why he reacted that way, and the reason why he took those actions.

Sushi-Y 2006-04-26 22:33

Quote:

That's the whole point. It's obvious you don't get it. Less than 1% did when they first played Onikakushi.

Now, you have to figure out what the heck is going on. More clues and hints are to be revealed in later episodes (and chapters), and you have to connect the dots. By the time it gets to Tsumihoroboshi, you'll have a larger scope of things on what Keiichi was under, why he reacted that way, and the reason why he took those actions.

Technically, that 1% (that 1 person out of 100 fan-mails) only got the truth about Onikakushi. The real, overall truth, on the other hand... *looks at Minagoroshi*...well, I can only say it was a good marketing scheme. :heh:

I will agree, though, that a lot of the fun of this series comes from following the story through the question chapters (Onikakushi, Watanagashi, Tatarigoroshi) and then putting together/forming your own theories and beliefs about the events. There's also a different sense of satisfaction that comes from reading the "answer" chapters (Meakashi, Tsumihoroboshi), where your doubts and questions from the question chapters are finally laid to rest, and at the same time, learning new revelations about these past chapters. As an example, I believe that many first-time viewers probably consider Onikakushi as nothing but a horror mystery right now. But by the time Tsumihoroboshi is over, not only will they realize what Onikakushi was all about, they'll also realize what a tragedy it has been.

That's the hook of this series, but at the same time, a weak point as well. "Things are not as they seem". Unexpected is probably what describes this series best.

Of course, none of this really matters for the first-time viewers, since this series is only beginning for them. I think the most important thing is to first enjoy the story for what it is, theories and hypotheses should only come second.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guido
My second fear is if I would had access to the game, I believe I will be making a mistake by watching the anime first. More like the game is needed first to grasp and cover a lot of terrain for the viewer to know what's in store for.

That depends on what you mean by "mistake". If you want to enjoy the anime to the fullest, I wouldn't play the games. On the other hand, if you want to enjoy the games to the fullest, I wouldn't watch the anime either. Higurashi is a suspense horror story, so knowing what's coming detracts from the experience some. But don't worry, you don't "need the game" to grasp what's going on in the anime. It's true that the game is far more detailed (about the various incidents) and informative (about the situation, including the main character's (Keiichi's) thoughts), but the anime will certainly make itself understandable even for the first-timers.

If you're interested, you can try playing the game after the anime ends and see what it skipped out on. Minagoroshi-hen (the latest (7th) game chapter), which contains the real "truth", doesn't fall under the anime's coverage either, so there's another incentive.

Sakuya 2006-04-27 00:54

Spoiler:

Flo 2006-04-27 01:38

*Push Psycho Kaede aside*

Psycho Rena is my new favourite! :D

*get stabbed by Psycho Kaede's boxcutter*

orion 2006-04-27 01:44

Keiichi's last scenes in ep. 4 were very difficult to watch.

I really don't feel sympathy for the girls at all..

Spoiler:

Spoiler for I smell sex and...candy:

Boukenxha 2006-04-27 11:31

IMO if the ep reviews and the praises directed at the original game haven't got you guys interested enough to check out the show, I think the best way to convince yourself would be to watch the anime and decide for yourself. Ep 4 seems like a good place to decide, since it's the end of a chapter. If I'm not wrong, the next ep is a new game chapter with the story supposedly retold in a different angel and focus. Well maybe this quote from kj's wiki page can help fan some more interest in physics223.

Quote:

This doujin game became immensely popular in Japan, with over 100,000 copies being sold - a feat which has not been surpassed done since TYPE-MOON's Tsukihime.
Yeah I know you love Tsukihime, since you are somewhat vocal about it. :heh: Anyway, I just watched ep 4. This is the most creepy one yet.

Spoiler for speculations and thoughts based on ep 4: