AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Your Take On MMO's (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=61951)

King Lycan 2008-02-04 22:41

Your Take On MMO's

MMO= Massively multiplayer online game is a video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously

I was inspired to make this thread because there was an arugement going on in the dating thread so i made a thread so i could help the mod's out :rolleyes:.
I personally play Guild Wars i tried WOW but i didnt like it :heh:
I have been playing for 25 months and have 2.5k+ hours

SO let me hear your ideas on MMO's

Aoie_Emesai 2008-02-04 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by King of Lycans (Post 1381228)
MMO= Massively multiplayer online game is a video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously

I was inspired to make this thread because there was an arugement going on in the dating thread so i made a thread so i could help the mod's out :rolleyes:.
I personally play Guild Wars i tried WOW but i didnt like it :heh:
I have been playing for 25 months and have 2.5k+ hours

SO let me hear your ideas on MMO's

Holy crap that is a lot of spent hours on the internet >.<. jeezes the kids these days.

I played WOW, MS, and Ragnarok. I disliked all of them. I haven't tired the others yet. I don't have the time to commit to such a life style.

Demongod86 2008-02-04 22:59

Haven't gotten involved with them and don't plan to.

Aoie_Emesai 2008-02-04 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demongod86 (Post 1381265)
Haven't gotten involved with them and don't plan to.

You don't want to. WOW can be addictive, but you get tired of it. There's better ways to spend your hours. I know most of mine goes to learning more photoshop.

I play the private servers every so often, but that's really all. I want a private MS server ^^ (only betas so far >.<)

KholdStare 2008-02-04 23:03

Don't worry, I've been playing 10k+ hours (that's on one character only, not sure how many others I have, probably 5+ total). So that's 15k hours for about 7-8 years.

Synria_ 2008-02-04 23:07

Tried them all and decided they all sucked. (Haven't tried WoW). I prefer RTS and FPS.

tripperazn 2008-02-04 23:07

I played Ragnarok years back since a lot of my friends got into the game. Even then I'd only log on when other people were on.

The sheer number of people I know who are currently addicted to WoW prevent me from even thinking about starting MMOs again.

King Lycan 2008-02-04 23:10

I think it all comes down to self control when its mid-term time i dont play guild wars at all or if its sunny outside so i can play football

King Lycan 2008-02-04 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by KholdStare (Post 1381271)
Don't worry, I've been playing 10k+ hours (that's on one character only, not sure how many others I have, probably 5+ total). So that's 15k hours for about 7-8 years.

What game do u play :p :o

Reckoner 2008-02-04 23:24

I had like 450 days played on WOW before the Xpansion and then I quit because it was slightly time consuming :heh: and it got too repetitive and boring.

Now I stick to good old WC3 instead of damn MMOs which I've probably accumulated like 25k hours of time played since I've been playing that game since it came out massively.

Zaku Hyuga 2008-02-04 23:34

I played Runescape for a while. It's pretty fun. You can create a free character or pay $5 a month for a members account(members get the good stuff). I had a free account for a long time and played the game A LOT! Interacting with the other players is fun, and they have special holiday events where you can get special items, it gets boring leveling up your character was the big problem. I was playing until a month ago when I picked up a virus on the computer and since the game was the last thing that was used on it my parents blamed the game and I'm not allowed to play any games anymore,( they actually have great virus protection on there, my folks just don't get that.:rolleyes: ) Anyway I reccomend the game its fun.

faustianideals 2008-02-05 00:38

They are an escape from your every day life. Your fantasy is only $14.99 a month away from fulfillment.

Spectacular_Insanity 2008-02-05 00:55

I have no problem with MMORPG's, but personally the farthest I've gone towards playing one is Runescape, which is kind of a nooby MMO. Nowhere near as indepth as WoW or other games like Guild Wars. I don't play them enough to merit the subscription. And Guild Wars (which is free after initial purchase, I believe) would eat up too much of my time anyway. I mean, anime is bad enough, but if I start gaming again.... :uhoh:

Dark Shikari 2008-02-05 01:15

If you can't put together a group of players and conquer a new area of territory and call it yours, its not worth playing.

If you can't dominate the market with a vast cartel, or manipulate prices in creative ways for your own personal financial gain, its not worth playing.

If you can't kill those who oppose you and hear the lamentation of the women, it is not worth playing.

If skill, intelligence, and organization are inferior to levels and in-game uber-items, it is not worth playing.

If it requires you to kill thousands of Troggs to level up, its not worth playing.

That in mind, there are still MMOGs worth playing. Few.

Ziv 2008-02-05 01:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Shikari (Post 1381513)
If you can't put together a group of players and conquer a new area of territory and call it yours, its not worth playing.

If you can't dominate the market with a vast cartel, or manipulate prices in creative ways for your own personal financial gain, its not worth playing.

If you can't kill those who oppose you and hear the lamentation of the women, it is not worth playing.

If skill, intelligence, and organization are inferior to levels and in-game uber-items, it is not worth playing.

If it requires you to kill thousands of Troggs to level up, its not worth playing.

EVE online fits everything you listed there except that money and resources are more valuable than skill and intelligence. Once the money of both parties is comparable, then skill and intelligence comes into play. Organization, however, is absolutely necessary. If you don't manage things right someone from another corporation (aka guild/clan) will infiltrate your corp and scam all your money away, which is perfectly legal within the game rules.

Other than that, everything else matches.

UzumakiW 2008-02-05 01:39

I haven't played one yet, but my dad has Guild Wars on his comp, so I'm going to have to try it one day, I've been wanting to for a while. I personally don't see anything wrong with MMO's, in fact, I think the idea is awsome. When people start saying their bad because they get people addicted, it makes me think people are dumb. I've heard this a lot. It all comes down to self control. Like I said, I haven't really played an MMO yet, but I play some other games online. There are times when I'll spend a couple hours at a time playing, but then there are definetely times when I play for an hour or two and go off and do something else for the rest of the day. Some people take it way too far. I mean really, how dumb can you be to forget to eat while playing one of these -_-.

Dark Shikari 2008-02-05 01:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziv (Post 1381535)
EVE online fits everything you listed there except that money and resources are more valuable than skill and intelligence. Once the money of both parties is comparable, then skill and intelligence comes into play. Organization, however, is absolutely necessary. If you don't manage things right someone from another corporation (aka guild/clan) will infiltrate your corp and scam all your money away, which is perfectly legal within the game rules.

Other than that, everything else matches.

I play EVE Online, and you are wrong in most cases IMO.

Money and skills are completely meaningless these days except on the vast empire scale. A thousand newbies in frigates will devastate fifty veterans in battleships. Its almost unfair! And, of course, a skilled newbie can work his way from nothing to billions in a matter of weeks through clever trading.

(I can tell you don't play EVE much, or you'd probably recognize me from EVE ;) You'll find me flying a mothership for the MC. )

Twisted Reality 2008-02-05 01:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Shikari (Post 1381513)

Pardus: Free Browser Based MMO

I make no guarantees that you'll like it, it's just what I play in my spare hours. It's my eccentric "thing." But yes, you can do a lot of the things you mentioned there.

"Skill" stats still matter to combat, but you still need some organization to really kill anyone worth killing. And yes, there is grind. Mindless mob groups still exist, but you can still achieve a good deal of things through organization. Maturity and self-control do definitely count since politicizing is a part of the game as well. Fifty ragtag noobs are still fifty ragtag noobs compared to a dozen well-organized vets.

http://www.pardus.at/

Yahtzee pokes some fun at MMORPG's in his review of Tabula Rasa.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...on-Tabula-Rasa

Astrana 2008-02-05 02:57

ok, my little story on MMO.

I played wow b4. I had top geared characters. Always been in the top guild which means raid 5-6 days a week, for 5-6 hours a day. And I was so addicted, I grind rep, farm gold constantly. When the expansion released I didnt sleep for 3 days, and was the 3rd lvl 70 on my server. I didnt get bored with it, because I was constantly on vent chating with people.

Why I play that much? First, it helps with stress, drive my focus away from stressful things. Second, now days you need money to do things ( go out, watch movie, hanging out with friends...) since I didnt have money (still dont) plus a lot things were going on in my life, I choosed wow. I do not regret the time I spent on it (3 lvl 70s, total play time over 6k hours) because I met a lot amazing people, and I had a good time. And it helped me realize a lot things in a negative way.

I quit wow in april 07( had a summer job), I am playing again now, but really casually on my friend's account.

Vexx 2008-02-05 03:06

Over the years, I have done EQ, Neocron, DAOC, Shadowbane, Horizons, and recently messed with Pirates (nice ship fighting play and economy but land action sucks, little or no community so far). And spent a LOT of time with WoW.

Amazingly... I'm having just as much fun playing a little FREE MMO game called DOMO. It basically has the same gameplay as WoW... but for $0 client and $0/month.... versus $30-$60 plus $15/month.

Plus.. everything is insane cute anime-ish. It does have the usual dysfunctional, barely literate, clueless bozos that cast a cloud over the future of the human race (those would be about half the players O.o).