AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Manga (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   (L) Claymore Manga (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=46915)

NoSanninWa 2007-05-03 01:02

Claymore Manga

This thread has been re-purposed as the general Claymore manga discussion thread. A long time ago, we split discussion into two separate threads (one English, one Japanese) out of consideration for English readers who did not want to be spoiled by already released Japanese chapters. This time has long come and gone, so we've removed the Japanese thread and turned this into a discussion thread for all Claymore manga. As always, be mindful of the rules. ;)

Daniel E. 2007-05-03 01:07

How did you guys feel about Clare getting a new arm from Ilena in Vol. 7?

I am not really sure if I actually like this sort of "Power up" system :p

NoSanninWa 2007-05-03 01:22

Oh lord... what a question. There was so much happening in volume 7 that I almost got a heart attack, though for me the biggest issue was the kiss.

As for the new arm, fercrissakes! That was not a power up system. While it is full of unique and interesting potential for abuse, you can't seriously call it a power up system. To abuse this system you'd need to find someone whose body is stronger than your own. Then you'd need to kill them somehow, hack off their limb and make it your own. Not exactly the same as going SSJ-2 or learning bankai. The uses for this are rather limited and honestly nobody can benefit from this nearly as much as Clare. Clare is really the only strong person whose body is weak enough to need the flesh of others.

Also, this is very story driven and extrememly emotional. At first I'm suffering as Clare learns to fight without her right arm. Then I almost freaked out when Ilena chopped off her own arm for Clare to use. It won't be as shocking in the future, but it is still a big deal to take someone else's flesh and make it your own.

Child_of_Sierra 2007-05-03 01:27

I'm alright with it cause it's definitely better than gaining strength so soon cause of "a will to live" or "I want to be the best" or some such ideal that most shounen heroes tend to sputter in the middle of a fight.

Thus far, even with her rank it's nice that all the skills and powers Clare has displayed were well explained. (she's been practicing that skill of teresa for quite some time).

Interesting to note that the reason she ranks 47 is cause she's only really a quarter youma so being able to cross swords with other claymores requires her to have at least a half youma arm...:P

I'd throw a fit though if she ends up as some medieval version of frankenstien if picking body parts from future comrades become a trend

Daniel E. 2007-05-03 01:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoSanninWa (Post 930468)

As for the new arm, fercrissakes! That was not a power up system. While it is full of unique and interesting potential for abuse, you can't seriously call it a power up system. To abuse this system you'd need to find someone whose body is stronger than your own. Then you'd need to kill them somehow, hack off their limb and make it your own. Not exactly the same as going SSJ-2 or learning bankai. The uses for this are rather limited and honestly nobody can benefit from this nearly as much as Clare. Clare is really the only strong person whose body is weak enough to need the flesh of others.

Also, this is very story driven and extrememly emotional. At first I'm suffering as Clare learns to fight without her right arm. Then I almost freaked out when Ilena chopped off her own arm for Clare to use.

Well, the whole Power up comment was a joke of sorts actually.

In the end, I just didn't like it, and hope that it never happens again. >_< !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Child of Sierra
I'd throw a fit though if she ends up as some medieval version of frankenstien if picking body parts from future comrades become a trend

Yes, this is what I fear as well.

NoSanninWa 2007-05-03 01:30

I seriously doubt Clare would want to do it again unless she is forced to. After all, think about the first time she did it. It was an act of love to make Theresa's flesh part of herself. She didn't just want to be a Claymore. She wanted to be a Claymore born of Theresa.

With Ilena, Clare had been bonding with Ilena as her student and she needed that arm too much to say no. I rather doubt that this will happen again casually. At least I hope not.

Child_of_Sierra 2007-05-03 01:51

Regarding that part about Theresa, I'm actually surprised that the organization agreed to Clare's condition. Recruitment must have not been good those years for them to go along with a whim that created a substandard claymore (all other factors aside, my university math professor attests that 1/2 > 1/4 lol).

Nightengale 2007-05-03 01:57

Considering that Clare is the first, and probably only person who wanted to become a Claymore at her own free will (( Ophelia is debatable )), I doubt the Organization cares too much. Clare was offering herself for free for a flexible condition anyway, so the Organization has nothing to lose by accepting her. Besides, the Organization treats their Claymore like disposable crap anyway.

NoSanninWa 2007-05-03 04:24

Maybe they even thought it was an interesting experiment. Just to see how it turned out.

The Organization are bastards.

zato_1one 2007-05-03 06:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoSanninWa (Post 930620)
Maybe they even thought it was an interesting experiment. Just to see how it turned out.

The Organization are bastards.

I do agree with that. The Organization might found that it was interesting whether Claymore could inherit ability from former Claymore's flesh and blood. So, they decided to receive Clare offer. But it turned out that Clare was number 47 though. :uhoh:

Negativedark 2007-05-03 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by zato_1one (Post 930724)
I do agree with that. The Organization might found that it was interesting whether Claymore could inherit ability from former Claymore's flesh and blood. So, they decided to receive Clare offer. But it turned out that Clare was number 47 though. :uhoh:

That's what I was thinking too. Teresa was so good, that they would have wanted to keep that power around if they could.

As for the arm Bieng a "power up", It's less cliche than "train for a week, get five times stronger". Also I think Claire has to be at more of a disadvantage against her fellow Claymores. She made her whole figting techneque revovle around sensing Yoma Power, and if they supress it, she can't sense it. As Miria said, it's perfect for awakened biengs.

Zu Ra 2007-05-03 09:06

I really dont think Clare is weaker than the other Claymores in resp to Yoma powers . She may be ranked 47 IMO thats for her skills . She is 1/4 Terresa too and thats her trump card . She can already ultilize Terresa's yoma power sensing abilities and predict move, we have know idea what else is in store . Terresa was in a league of her own even Priscilla Unawakened was no match for her

dutchman 2007-05-03 09:42

Am I the only one who is a little bit disturbed by the bloodthirsty pshycho ways of Ophelia?

She easy made it into the top 10 of all time evil villians with her cruel antics
Spoiler for manga eng 6 + 7:

When I thought a bit deeper about why she disturbed me I came to the conclusion that despite her age being (on appearence based) in the same range as Clare.

She is almost like a little kid. A little kid who is very intelligent/powerfull but has no moral values and thus without remorse dismembers insects (in her case, yoma's, awakened ones..fellow claymores, human witnesses). (she also was quite childish when she brought up her preffered 'nickname' based on her deadly sword style)

I have read the raws but since my japanese isn't good enough I have to wait for volume 8 to come out in june to really understand her pshyche cause I do not accept that a thirst for vengeance (for her brother) can warp someone to be that evil and remorseless.

Also based from what I read in vol. 6/7 its almost if she actually liked Clare (in her own warped way) or at least admired her sort of.

Zu Ra 2007-05-03 09:55

Ophelia does remind you of demented version of Priscilla. Also its interesting to note just like Priscilla, she bears deep physiological scars

Negativedark 2007-05-03 11:31

My guess about Ophelia is that she was really unhinged after her brothers death, and the process to become a Claymore didn't help any. She became a monster because she lacked any and all emaphy, and its horribly fitting she didn't even realize it when she awakened, as her psyche was so twisted to begin with. In some ways she's tragic, because she's a poster child for the quote "In the hunting of monsters be careful you do not become one yourself."

Oh and her name was kinda fitting for someone so crazy, wasn't it?

dutchman 2007-05-03 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negativedark (Post 931027)
My guess about Ophelia is that she was really unhinged after her brothers death, and the process to become a Claymore didn't help any. She became a monster because she lacked any and all emaphy, and its horribly fitting she didn't even realize it when she awakened, as her psyche was so twisted to begin with. In some ways she's tragic, because she's a poster child for the quote "In the hunting of monsters be careful you do not become one yourself."

Oh and her name was kinda fitting for someone so crazy, wasn't it?

Many thanks for bringing to my attention that her name had a possible deeper meaning.

You mean that the manga artist is probably reffering to the Ophelia from 'The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark'? (wikipedia for the win:heh: )

If this is indeed the case we have to do a research on all the claymore names we suspect;)

I tried a search for Galatea (the nr. 3 ranked claymore) however the possible match in Greek mythology was a bit wierd and didn't quite fit what I have read/heard about her so I dismissed it.

Child_of_Sierra 2007-05-03 11:57

Hmm, pairing up Claire with someone like Ophelia reinforces Mirai's theory that the organization wants team VI dead. I'm a bit worried that the others are being led to similar high risk missions. Hope they do get to meet again cause it would be so much better fighting as a team.

Xellos-_^ 2007-05-03 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geta Boshi (Post 930947)
Ophelia does remind you of demented version of Priscilla. Also its interesting to note just like Priscilla, she bears deep physiological scars

All the the Claymores have their scars, some deeper then others. Remember all those girls were orphens of Yoma attacks and most likely were sold/given to the organization by the surviving villagers.

For Illene's arm i re-read that part twice just make sure i didn't miss read anything. It was one of hell of a surprise as i was wondering how Clare can gain more power without Claymore turning into a DBZ with all the power ups.

Claymore_Obsessed 2007-05-03 13:02

By the way, Irene had incredible guts.
Cutting off your remaining arm! truly heroic

Xellos-_^ 2007-05-03 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claymore_Obsessed (Post 931108)
By the way, Irene had incredible guts.
Cutting off your remaining arm! truly heroic

Like she said, she doesn't need it anymore. She has no intention of going after priscilla and she can regrow a normal type arm in a few months. But yeah it did take a lot of guts and stuff to do that.