AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Sports & Entertainment (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Battle Angel Alita (2018) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=150157)

konart 2017-12-08 14:37

Battle Angel Alita (2018)

First trailer

Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)

Psyco Diver 2017-12-08 22:05

I dunno how I feel about this one, a solid mix of "YAY" and "Oh god how are they going to screw this one up"

Magin 2017-12-08 22:06

You mean this is actually going to be a thing? I swear it's been stuck in Development Hell for like 20 years now...

LoweGear 2017-12-08 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magin (Post 6173808)
You mean this is actually going to be a thing? I swear it's been stuck in Development Hell for like 20 years now...

Yep, it's the one project James Cameron has been wanting to make for decades now, but couldn't get off the ground until now. :heh:

Also, the massive eyes do kinda bother me, but given how everyone else looks in the movie it seems to be an intentional story choice rather than just trying to make the character look closer to the manga.

Not hoping for much here given every other anime to Hollywood adaptation (the only one that sorta worked was All You Need Is Kill being adapted into Edge of Tomorrow), so keeping a cautious eye on this one.

MrTerrorist 2017-12-09 00:30

While the eyes look weird, i think it fits the theme of the film since she's a cyborg or something.

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2017-12-09 01:12

Let's hope the movie follows the manga instead of the lame anime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoweGear (Post 6173836)
Also, the massive eyes do kinda bother me, but given how everyone else looks in the movie it seems to be an intentional story choice rather than just trying to make the character look closer to the manga.

The last time they do that, we get a Caucasian Major Kusanagi who is a former Japanese gal :heh:.

Diluc 2017-12-09 04:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor (Post 6173863)

Does the anime is bad?
I never watch the anime..

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2017-12-09 04:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxis (Post 6173910)
Does the anime is bad?
I never watch the anime..

It's a lackluster adaptation of the manga since it's only a two-episode OVAs. In the Japanese origin, the manga is called Gunnm (pronounced as "Ganmu" more or less) and it features "Gally" or "Alita".

The funny thing is, the live action movie seems to try to match the actress' face with Gally/Alita to the point where they make her eyes big like in the manga :heh::

Sheba 2017-12-09 04:59

Too bad there is no Desty Nova.

Tho I may be disappointed if they didnt cast Christopher Lloyd as Desty Nova. Like how I felt Ron Pearlman would have been perfect as Batou in GiTS live.

konart 2017-12-09 05:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor (Post 6173863)

The last time they do that, we get a Caucasian Major Kusanagi who is a former Japanese gal :heh:.

Kusanagi had caucasian body in the original.

As for the GUNNM what drives me away is not the eyes, who gives a damn about eyes? The real problem is R13 and the setting. What's up with those clean streats and fancy clothes? What's with their skin and what every they had instead of skin? It looks like they spend more time in front of the mirror than fighting for resources and food.

This should be postapocalyptic world, mix of Trigun and Mad Max. Even lower life even more hightech.

I'm really disappointed right now.

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2017-12-09 05:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by konart (Post 6173918)
Kusanagi had caucasian body in the original.

It's not only about the body. In GITS manga & anime, Motoko already knew her past (more or less) and it doesn't serve as a baggage to her. What makes it funny is that the main plot of the LA movie is basically one big excuse so that Motoko can be played by Scar-Jo :heh:. They should've dropped that silly Robocop plot and make Major a Caucasian through and through so that we can have a better story than Robocop regurgitation.

konart 2017-12-09 05:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor (Post 6173923)
It's not only about the body. In GITS manga & anime, Motoko already knew her past (more or less) and it doesn't serve as a baggage to her. What makes it funny is that the main plot of the LA movie is basically one big excuse so that Motoko can be played by Scar-Jo :heh:. They should've dropped that silly Robocop plot and make Major a Caucasian through and through so that we can have a better story than Robocop regurgitation.

Well, I haven't seen the movie even :heh:

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2017-12-09 05:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by konart (Post 6173925)
Well, I haven't seen the movie even :heh:

You haven't seen the movie? No wonder you didn't get my point. Watch it and witness how.....mediocre and boring the story is :heh:. Well, the setting looks nice so at least it has that going for it.

Helius 2018-07-21 02:57

The big eyes somehow look better/smaller on the statues?

Not that familiar with Battle Angel personally, but that battle getup looks really cool!

MrTerrorist 2018-07-23 11:19

Toukairin 2018-07-23 15:08

I'm quite willing to give this one a very fair shot.

Kyero Fox 2018-07-28 10:45

Still hideous and won't be touching this movie purely on how dumb they made the lead girl look and their stupidly moronic reason for it.

Sheba 2019-03-03 21:22

Watched the movie and was pleasantly surprised. I rank it up with Edge of Tomorrow as very good manga-to-movie adaptation.

Canon-wise - its mixing the two first volumes of the manga with bits of the Motorball arc that serves as a sequel hook with

Spoiler:

And took elements from the OAV with the Gurushika and Chiren as canon immigrants.

Bits of background were changed to fit the narrative of the movie in a post-9/11 world

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Robert Rodriguez played down some of his typical director tics, so it could feel more like a Cameron movie. The fight choregraphy is tight and Rosa Salazar have fit the shoes of Alita very well.

And yes, this is the kind of movie that feel like what happen when the production staff love the original material rather than an opportunistic cash grab.

PS: A shoutout to one of my friends from middle school who lent my his Alita volumes back in the day so I could read the original story till the end. He wont see the movie he wanted to see one day, because a car driven by an idiot who was phoning while driving hit him in 2015, leaving him not a chance. RIP my friend.

Jaden 2019-03-04 09:32

Seen it, again a pleasant surprise like the GITS movie. Hollyweeb movies are not a joke anymore. The various cyborg designs were awesome.

MrTerrorist 2019-03-04 09:54

The movie's theme song is great.