AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   To Aru Majutsu no Index (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   To Aru Majutsu no Index Movie - News & Speculation (NO Spoilers) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=107262)

OH&S 2013-09-25 04:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen (Post 4844852)
It's a collector's item to begin with, similiar to the $100 price tag on their BD volumes.

...Then how many copies should have been sold for the 'game' to be considered as having sold well? If we compare it to BD anime volumes, it sold OK. Though it sounds silly comparing PSP game sales to BD anime sales (different mediums).

Chaos2Frozen 2013-09-25 04:05

Sorry, that answer is beyond my powers.

OH&S 2013-09-25 04:11

No biggie.:p But at least I have some perspective now.

dniv 2013-09-26 03:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by OH&S (Post 4844833)
Actually that brings up something that I wanted to know: WHY did Ensemble sell so poorly?

Its completely baffling when compared to the big success of the movie. Was it poor advertisement? Negative campaigning? The movie taking all of the spotlight and actually hindering sales? Or was the Road to Endymion LN which covered part of Ensemble the one that gave the killing blow?

From the spoilers that were posted in the Ensemble thread and the glimpse from the Road to Endymion LN, it seemed just like any novel that Kamachi would write except in VN form. It's so confusing:eyespin:

Have you seen the game... It's absolutely horrible from gameplay that I saw... I don't know why I would but it except for the story, but a game is supposed to be fun...

ACertainStark 2013-09-26 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by dniv (Post 4846181)
Have you seen the game... It's absolutely horrible from gameplay that I saw... I don't know why I would but it except for the story, but a game is supposed to be fun...

iirc, it's a VN... nothing horrible about that. :heh:

TJR 2013-09-26 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by OH&S (Post 4844859)
...Then how many copies should have been sold for the 'game' to be considered as having sold well? If we compare it to BD anime volumes, it sold OK. Though it sounds silly comparing PSP game sales to BD anime sales (different mediums).

Sales weren't great, but I don't think they were terrible for a visual novel. For comparison, here are some first week numbers for tie-in PSP games:

Index - 56k (this one is a fighting game?)
Railgun - 29k
Ensemble - 19k
Haganai - 54k
Oreimo - 88k
Oreimo Continued - 50k
Toradora - 38k
Saki - 20k

Success is likely influenced by release timing (i.e. launching around the same time as a TV anime adaptation) and story theme. For instance, Haganai and Oreimo (:D) are targeted toward readers who'd probably enjoy bishoujo games, so VN spin-offs are perfect. However, Index readers might not necessarily be as inclined to spend money on a visual novel.