AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam Models Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

Znozzy 2011-05-18 06:38

Currently working on a custom kitbash from remaining shelf-jumping models onto a MG 1/100 force impulse.

Spoiler for warning for unpainted slaponkitbash without any sort of painting done to it.:

for now, straight unpainted build of the Zeta plus A1 taken with a shaky iphone camera:

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/1166/picture059m.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Appel 2011-05-18 07:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Znozzy (Post 3617039)
Currently working on a custom kitbash from remaining shelf-jumping models onto a MG 1/100 force impulse.

Spoiler for warning for unpainted slaponkitbash without any sort of painting done to it.:

wow, thats impressive in a crazy way XD

im currently painting my HG exia dash (screw the dash pack :P) and i have made 2 major discoveries:

1: tamiya clear blue spraypaint sucks. hard. you either have not enough on your piece or too much and it starts pooling XP at least it didnt form bubbles so overall im happy^^

2: my neighbors are assholes. when i started to paint one of them didnt want to leave me alone (i didnt want to mess up her clothes with paint!) and some other guy leaned out of the windows, shouted "hey! no spraypainting here you asshole! >:O" for no reason at all.

i will upload photos once im finished but i bet that will take a few days^^

Illsteir 2011-05-18 09:40

MG 1/100 GN-0000 + GNR-010 00 Raiser Review (By Gundam Gguy)

1 LED in the chest to light up the head, 2 for the GN Drives and 2 more for the binders. I wonder where you can avail a bootleg version of the LEDs :P

Appel 2011-05-18 16:30

little "progress shot" of mine...

http://www.abload.de/img/foto0736itj3.jpg

yeah, screw tamiya clear blue... im gonna use blue and briliant blue on my exia now XP

SonicSP 2011-05-19 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illsteir (Post 3617215)
MG 1/100 GN-0000 + GNR-010 00 Raiser Review (By Gundam Gguy)

1 LED in the chest to light up the head, 2 for the GN Drives and 2 more for the binders. I wonder where you can avail a bootleg version of the LEDs :P

Speaking of which, why does the Chinese version come with 4 LEDs?

Hmmm..........I'm hoping the kit would be good. Especially worried about any possible weight issues.

GameraBaenre 2011-05-19 01:32

Just finished this little project that I started back in January, but stopped sometime in march, and from then until now, I did bits and pieces of work. Finally hanging up the coat on this kit, so I got the base done and finished off the small pieces of rework.

http://gamerabaenre.com/wp-content/u...bi-025_jpg.jpg

All the completed pictures are here: http://gamerabaenre.com/?p=1717
And the full disclosure of the build is here: http://gamerabaenre.com/?page_id=1307

kaizerknight01 2011-05-19 04:53

I have 3 hg uc i 've competed them my question is

about the hg uc sticker decals are they water base stick on ???

any advice on this is greatly appreciated

hoshikuzu 2011-05-19 04:55

This might be a silly question:

Which one is better - HG or MG?

Kuroi Hadou 2011-05-19 04:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaizerknight01 (Post 3618431)
about the hg uc sticker decals are they water base stick on ???

Every decal I've seen for Gundam kits are dry decals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoshikuzu (Post 3618432)

Depends on your preferences. HGs are smaller and less expensive, but also less detailed. MGs are larger and more expensive, but also more detailed.

Illsteir 2011-05-19 05:01

HG - Small (about 13 cm), decently detailed and good posability. Cheap. Great if you have a very limited display space

MG - Bigger than HGs, more detailed and better posability. Great if you have a lot of display space.

Edit: Ninja'd :heh:

Appel 2011-05-19 05:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou (Post 3618434)

Depends on your preferences. HGs are smaller and less expensive, but also less detailed. MGs are larger and more expensive, but also more detailed.

right. master grades are more detailed and in a bigger scale than high grade models. they are also usually more posable and have more moving parts.
if you have the money you should go for that^^
but bandai also has the new real grade line going now. those are basically way more detailed 1/144 scale models. but currently they are only available as the RX-78 gundam, chars zaku II and the aile strike gundam.

kaizerknight01 2011-05-19 05:57

well for me Hg kits are very cost effective especially if you have an action base ( i think 3 kinds of action base) very pose able with those

Appel 2011-05-19 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaizerknight01 (Post 3618457)
well for me Hg kits are very cost effective especially if you have an action base ( i think 3 kinds of action base) very pose able with those

yeah on a base you can get way more poses out of a kit^^
HG kits are pretty cool. they are simple yet very effective and that at a good price.

Znozzy 2011-05-19 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appel (Post 3618597)
yeah on a base you can get way more poses out of a kit^^
HG kits are pretty cool. they are simple yet very effective and that at a good price.

indeed they are, but i personally prefer 1/100 NG's because they usually have more accessories etc. but HG 1/144's are lovely aswell, since there is a bigger selection of kits, you can usually get 2-3 HG's instead of a NG 1/100 or a MG

kaizerknight01 2011-05-19 22:21

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5150/...8899532b_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3521/...c62b7edc_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3436/...d1683a09_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3480/...a533aa54_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2429/...bb8fc417_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3537/...99b4ac42_b.jpg

1/144 HGUC ReZel & Stark Jegan

Se7en Sabers 2011-05-19 23:28

Nice photo quality ;)

SonicSP 2011-05-20 00:17

Very very nice photos you have there. Did you edit to make those awesome light effects? They look really cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoshikuzu (Post 3618432)
This might be a silly question:

Depends on your preferences. Do you like big robots or smaller robots? MG obviously are bigger, have higher detail and are more expensive. HG's detail is less but the robots are smaller and cheaper.

I personally prefers HG more, the qualities of HG from engineering to detail these days are quite good. They do not match MG of course but they're still damn good in my book. Also, they are a lot more HG model kits out there so I can collect more variety of MS and pose them all to make like a big battle or something. Not that you cannot do that with MG but its a taller order to manage with less choices and I usually like to pose between kits of the same scale. I collect both of course, but I consider myself primarily a HG collector.

Appel 2011-05-20 03:03

the photos are nice but the jegan seems to have a lot of bad nubs. not your fault, just the way the kit is designed^^

LoweGear 2011-05-20 03:11

Those are some very nice straight builds indeed even if the nubs are quite visible :heh:

To be honest, I'm actually more interested in what model of camera you're using. The images are so clear :eek:

Drake 2011-05-20 04:25

Hes probably using an DSLR a light box with studio light/s by the looks of things.

Wouldn't matter much what camera hes using its all in the lighting =]

I haven't fully built anything in a while but I did finish my MG kampfer and I'm kinda disappointed at its pose-ability, an action base of some sort is essential I think. =/

Znozzy 2011-05-20 04:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 3619610)
Hes probably using an DSLR a light box with studio light/s by the looks of things.

Wouldn't matter much what camera hes using its all in the lighting =]

I haven't fully built anything in a while but I did finish my MG kampfer and I'm kinda disappointed at its pose-ability, an action base of some sort is essential I think. =/

Agreed on the Kampfer, im slightly afraid of switching pose on mine because it feels like the arms/legs are going to snap off :x, it does look menacing just standing though.

Drake 2011-05-20 05:10

Yeah it does feel kinda fragile compared to some of my other MG's but above all I wish it had a better inner frame as I wanted to give it a little battle damage on some of the outer armour.

Znozzy 2011-05-20 06:46

yeah, the " innerframe " on it is .. well, meh. there pretty much is none, lol.

the things that really disturb me with the kit is the way the knee connects to the lower leg, its way too fragile, and not to mention the tiny plug used to connect the arms to the shoulders.

then again, it really is a beautiful kit, the kampfer is one beautiful design

Appel 2011-05-20 14:09

its funny, the kampfer was the only kit availabe on the german amazon marketplace for a long time^^ now some guys offer the RX-78-2 and the GM, too. but thats it really :P

im also done with top coating all the pieces of my MG freedom now. i abandoned my exia for now simply because the paint sucks so hard...
tomorrow im gonna panel line and build it, i cant wait! the freedom was always one of my favorites^^

Butagami 2011-05-20 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appel (Post 3619993)
its funny, the kampfer was the only kit availabe on the german amazon marketplace for a long time^^ now some guys offer the RX-78-2 and the GM, too. but thats it really :P

im also done with top coating all the pieces of my MG freedom now. i abandoned my exia for now simply because the paint sucks so hard...
tomorrow im gonna panel line and build it, i cant wait! the freedom was always one of my favorites^^

Nice, do upload some pics here!

Appel 2011-05-20 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butagami (Post 3620022)
Nice, do upload some pics here!

oh i will^^
i just completely repainted all blue pieces though. not because it didnt turn out well but because tamiya blue was just too dark in my opinion. with the bad light in my room right now i almost couldnt distinguish them among the black pieces... i painted them with tamiya briliant blue now and i like that way better^^ and because of the darker blue below it it turned out a tiny bit darker, i love that already!

painting the freedom also taught me some things about painting. i was always afraid about painting my models because i thought id screw up horribly. but paint is actually very forgiving^^ just sand it and try again! i can recommend it to all those who didnt paint their models before, its a lot of fun and you get a lot more mileage out of your kits!

edit: the top coat on the blue pieces is drying now. they turned out so beautifuly ;_; no bubbles, no nothing! this is the first time i painted the whole kit, im actually pretty proud about how it turned out =D

Butagami 2011-05-20 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appel (Post 3620028)
oh i will^^
i just completely repainted all blue pieces though. not because it didnt turn out well but because tamiya blue was just too dark in my opinion. with the bad light in my room right now i almost couldnt distinguish them among the black pieces... i painted them with tamiya briliant blue now and i like that way better^^ and because of the darker blue below it it turned out a tiny bit darker, i love that already!

painting the freedom also taught me some things about painting. i was always afraid about painting my models because i thought id screw up horribly. but paint is actually very forgiving^^ just sand it and try again! i can recommend it to all those who didnt paint their models before, its a lot of fun and you get a lot more mileage out of your kits!

edit: the top coat on the blue pieces is drying now. they turned out so beautifuly ;_; no bubbles, no nothing! this is the first time i painted the whole kit, im actually pretty proud about how it turned out =D

Nice to hear you're doing well. It's reassuring to know painting isn't a single chance/make-it-or-brake-it kind of thing. Are you painting the entire thing?

Appel 2011-05-20 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butagami (Post 3620142)
Nice to hear you're doing well. It's reassuring to know painting isn't a single chance/make-it-or-brake-it kind of thing. Are you painting the entire thing?

im painting and top coating all blue and black pieces, all other pieces are top coated only. i also painted the clear piece for the scope of the lupus beam rifle, the eyes (which was a HUGE pain in the behind by the way DX ) and the sensor at the top of the head on that same clear piece.
the black and the blue were the only original colors i had problems with, anyway. the blue of the plastic was a little bit too light in my opinion and the black was a weird mix of dark grey and blue, i didnt like that at all so i just painted them black^^
the right red wasnt in stock were i got the cans and there are very little red pieces anyway so i didnt bother painting those.
and since i always like the white of bandais plastic i didnt plan to paint that in the first place. that stuff looks good when its just top coated!
i also didnt paint the parts of the inner frame. i wont see 99% of it anyway, so why bother? :P besides, im all out of top coat now. used the whole 400ml can on the freedom.

so yeah, all in all the way i do it it isnt even that much work in the first place^^ just gotta throw some lining on the pieces tomorrow and im good to go.

edit: here, this piece is part of the wings:

http://www.abload.de/thumb/foto07421ny2.jpg

pretty much all blue pieces look like that. im pretty happy with that color! it looks a little less dark in real life though, the photo is a tiny bit too dark because my phone camera sucks a little and the lighting in my room isnt the best at 00:30am^^

i used a flat top coat on all pieces by the way.

Sworra 2011-05-20 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appel (Post 3620158)
im painting and top coating all blue and black pieces, all other pieces are top coated only. i also painted the clear piece for the scope of the lupus beam rifle, the eyes (which was a HUGE pain in the behind by the way DX ) and the sensor at the top of the head on that same clear piece.
the black and the blue were the only original colors i had problems with, anyway. the blue of the plastic was a little bit too light in my opinion and the black was a weird mix of dark grey and blue, i didnt like that at all so i just painted them black^^
the right red wasnt in stock were i got the cans and there are very little red pieces anyway so i didnt bother painting those.
and since i always like the white of bandais plastic i didnt plan to paint that in the first place. that stuff looks good when its just top coated!
i also didnt paint the parts of the inner frame. i wont see 99% of it anyway, so why bother? :P besides, im all out of top coat now. used the whole 400ml can on the freedom.

so yeah, all in all the way i do it it isnt even that much work in the first place^^ just gotta throw some lining on the pieces tomorrow and im good to go.

edit: here, this piece is part of the wings:

http://www.abload.de/thumb/foto07421ny2.jpg

pretty much all blue pieces look like that. im pretty happy with that color! it looks a little less dark in real life though, the photo is a tiny bit too dark because my phone camera sucks a little and the lighting in my room isnt the best at 00:30am^^

i used a flat top coat on all pieces by the way.

Nice job on the painting part, I hope you didnt flat coat the peices already, plus if the blue is a flat base paint you are going to have trouble with panel lines. If you are using gundam markers the markers will dry up fast cause its on a rough dry surface, so if you can put a gloss coat then panel line, top coat it back to flat you will get your affect and less trouble..

dunno if you did that already or knew?

Cheers.

Appel 2011-05-21 01:05

i will use enamel paint with thinner for panel lining. then i will rid of the excess paint with more thinner. i tried that on the sprue itself before i started coating the kit, it worked well^^
scratch that, didnt work at all! X'D
i will try to get some different paint and thinner today and if that wont work ill just keep it not lined.

kaizerknight01 2011-05-21 01:40

Cam was a Nikon D90 nikkor 17-55mm F2.8 and in some photos nikkor 70-300mm VR lens

2 light setup 1 studio strobe with umbrella and 1 sb800 with blue/ purple gel to give the illusion of something exploding like in the anime :) those were my younger brother's shots

Butagami 2011-05-21 04:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appel (Post 3620549)
i will use enamel paint with thinner for panel lining. then i will rid of the excess paint with more thinner. i tried that on the sprue itself before i started coating the kit, it worked well^^
scratch that, didnt work at all! X'D
i will try to get some different paint and thinner today and if that wont work ill just keep it not lined.

I read that you have to glosscoat it first before the panel-line wash. with flat coat, it's soak up the paint like a sponge (maybe useful for some kind of weathering?)

Appel 2011-05-21 05:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butagami (Post 3620713)
I read that you have to glosscoat it first before the panel-line wash. with flat coat, it's soak up the paint like a sponge (maybe useful for some kind of weathering?)

im done with panel lining now. i got a new pait and it worked really well.
i used a black enamel paint, mixed it with lighter fuel (which i used as thinner), let it run into the lining channels and cleaned it with a tissue soaked in more lighter fuel.
that worked really really well, i got some pretty nice lines with that^^ the flat coat didnt suck up the paint at all and it was easy to clean

JC... 2011-05-21 07:34

I think it's that gloss coat makes the paint slide through the panel lines easier, and you can rub away the excess without damaging the paint.

Appel 2011-05-21 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC... (Post 3620791)
I think it's that gloss coat makes the paint slide through the panel lines easier, and you can rub away the excess without damaging the paint.

nothing was damaged the way i did it and the paint was sliding through the lining chanels very nicely even though the surface its pretty rough because of the flat coat i used^^

edit: im done with the model itself, just gotta throw on the decals now.

http://www.abload.de/img/foto0745dqab.jpg

that was one hell of an uninteresting build :P im glad that i put some extra work into it, otherwise it would have been my most uninteresting master grade yet^^

ashtaron 2011-05-21 10:46

MG 1/100 00 Raiser - Review

Reviews for the MG 1/100 00 Raiser have been posted. See here: http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2011/0...aiser_230.html

Sworra 2011-05-21 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appel (Post 3620891)
nothing was damaged the way i did it and the paint was sliding through the lining chanels very nicely even though the surface its pretty rough because of the flat coat i used^^

edit: im done with the model itself, just gotta throw on the decals now.

http://www.abload.de/img/foto0745dqab.jpg

that was one hell of an uninteresting build :P im glad that i put some extra work into it, otherwise it would have been my most uninteresting master grade yet^^

Nice job on your Freedom :)
Not to sure because of the lighting, but did you use the stickers on the rifle or did you paint the lines? not to criticize or anything in that matter just wondering?

Appel 2011-05-21 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sworra (Post 3621129)
Nice job on your Freedom :)
Not to sure because of the lighting, but did you use the stickers on the rifle or did you paint the lines? not to criticize or anything in that matter just wondering?

i used the stickers for that. they actually worked and look decent enough so i just used those :p
and yeah, the lighting is bad... i hate my apartment because of that!
i have it standing next to my strike and the strike freedom now with all decals on^^

edit: these are a bit better:
http://www.abload.de/img/foto0751onch.jpg

http://www.abload.de/img/foto0755hupu.jpg

Sworra 2011-05-21 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appel (Post 3621142)
i used the stickers for that. they actually worked and look decent enough so i just used those :p
and yeah, the lighting is bad... i hate my apartment because of that!
i have it standing next to my strike and the strike freedom now with all decals on^^

edit: these are a bit better:
http://www.abload.de/img/foto0751onch.jpg

http://www.abload.de/img/foto0755hupu.jpg

I know putting the stickers is the "lazy" way of doing things from people i hear from. But if you were to mask off the rifle and paint the blue that you used for the wings and feet you would get the same tone for all the blue you used.. If you put that much work into the Freedom already, masking is pretty easy and in the end you will see the results.

cheers! :)

Appel 2011-05-21 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sworra (Post 3621159)
I know putting the stickers is the "lazy" way of doing things from people i hear from. But if you were to mask off the rifle and paint the blue that you used for the wings and feet you would get the same tone for all the blue you used.. If you put that much work into the Freedom already, masking is pretty easy and in the end you will see the results.

cheers! :)

i know and i did that on my strike freedoms rifles^^ it turned out ok. today i was just too lazy! =D i can always just pop off that piece and paint it but i just wanted to have the model completed for now

edit: but just to make you happy i just did it anyway^^