AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam Models Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

Aurelis 2013-11-17 20:52

I have tried multiples stands and bases from Bandai.

The Tamashii Stage seems like a more aethetically-pleasing and functional base, with the transparent beam and claw that allows for more varied posing as compared to sticking an action base into a unit's bottom. The claw also allows posing of non-Bandai figures and for units without action base support.

However, based on my experience, it tends to sag over time and is not as stable or sturdy as the action bases. This is due to a lack of "locking mechanism" to keep the beam in place. It's all dependant on tight ball joint and pins. I dare say it's more for holding a figure to stand in place, instead of for prolonged aerial pose.

And just to throw it out there:

For action bases, there's the Action Base 1. This is suitable for most HG and MG units and is very big and stable. Also comes with a lot of connectors to fit most of Bandai kits. The drawback is that it's not really designed to give you unique poses like the Freedom's upside down pose.

There's other variation of this base like the EFSF and Principality of Zeon logo, the Unicorn-series designs and my personal favourite, the Celestial Being crest design.

Then there's Action Base 2. They're smaller, cheaper and more for HG action base stand. Unlike the octagonal-shaped Action Base 1, these triangular-ish design means over-extending the arm may cause the unit to topple. Other than that, it does what it's supposed to do.

My personal favourite is the Action Base 3. It has a platform for placing your desired image [I use these for my RGs and put in boxart in the image placeholder]. There's also sticks to alow the action base to tilt, giving a more dynamic outlook. Very stable too but the arms may be a little short for taller MGs. But at least it will allow you to do upside down poses as they changed the connector ends.

The above bases also lets you combine multiple bases into a singular large stage, which can do nicely for battle scenes. Also there's other bases available, like rotating solar ones, mirror bases and another favourite, the Bandai's LED ones.

I personally would like to purchase the new Gunpla Builder base as it looks very modernized.

ZeroXSEED 2013-11-17 20:53

Yes

13 Bucks for 3 vs 7.5-15 bucks for action base of various design and models

Admittedly I feel ashamed for minimizing cost, but I don't want the two HG unit I have suffering loose ankles because of neglect. :(

EDIT: I see, I'll consider the lifespan of the stand as well.

Aurelis 2013-11-17 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED (Post 4912536)
Yes

13 Bucks for 3 vs 7.5 bucks for action base.

Admittedly I feel ashamed for minimizing cost, but I don't want the two HG unit I have suffering loose ankle because of neglect. :(

Alternatively, you could try getting a Kotobukiya Trailer

http://www.ishop2go.com/shop/product...eca51d548f.jpg

To re-enact the first voyage of the Gundam :D

But for HG, the Tamashii stage will do fine. Avoid the imitation ones at all cost though. This is because the arms are very weak and the claws, aren't even capable of gripping. I ended up throwing the fake one as it breaks down every time I place a unit on it.

ZeroXSEED 2013-11-17 20:58

Indeed.

I consider Tamashii because my distrust of bootleg (half the price), one of my friend's HG (I think Gundam Mk.II) shattered apart because of broken stand. No joke.

Shinobi2013 2013-11-17 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED (Post 4912544)
Indeed.

I consider Tamashii because my distrust of bootleg (half the price), one of my friend's HG (I think Gundam Mk.II) shattered apart because of broken stand. No joke.

To be honest, even the original one feels dangerous to use it on the gunpla kits, I have the original before but I only use it on SHFiguarts.

ZeroXSEED 2013-11-18 00:56

Mostly because it's using clear plastic. Anything that use clear plastic is dangerous to use as support for considerable weight (They're brittle after all)

Though it's possible to use Stage Act 5 on Master Grade, size of the claw means it's hard to mount the gunpla properly without it falling at the slightest bump anyway.

Anyway, by bootleg I mean Hongli-made Action base 1.

HurricaneHige 2013-11-18 09:08

Jebus.

http://kotaku.com/someone-wants-to-p...del-1466547288

I saw the original blog post when it was first posted. Yes, it is pretty as fuck, but $9000? Damn.

ZeroXSEED 2013-11-18 09:09

It's posted in spacebattles too, and critics even said WORTH IT.

Master of Master grade indeed.

suiton629 2013-11-18 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHige (Post 4912986)
Jebus.

I saw the original blog post when it was first posted. Yes, it is pretty as fuck, but $9000? Damn.

That guy could definitely make a living off of doing that. =P
All he would need to invest in:

a. paints
b. air brushes
c. paint brushes
d. ventilation system
e. small ~ medium size apartment
f. a crap ton of GunPla

It'll probably take him a good week's worth of modeling 1 kit. Sell that at $9000...

$9000 (if he sold each finished kit) x 52.1775 (weeks in a year) = $469,597.50 (yearly salary)

DAMN!!! And even if he had some bad weeks, we could round it off to like $450,000 a year. That's still quite a large amount of money to be raking in.

Providenceangle 2013-11-18 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by suiton629 (Post 4912994)
That guy could definitely make a living off of doing that. =P
All he would need to invest in:

a. paints
b. air brushes
c. paint brushes
d. ventilation system
e. small ~ medium size apartment
f. a crap ton of GunPla

It'll probably take him a good week's worth of modeling 1 kit. Sell that at $9000...

$9000 (if he sold each finished kit) x 52.1775 (weeks in a year) = $469,597.50 (yearly salary)

DAMN!!! And even if he had some bad weeks, we could round it off to like $450,000 a year. That's still quite a large amount of money to be raking in.

I saw this on modelers G before this news hit. I thought it was amazing but... Not 9,000 good.... Maybe 700 dollars.

And by the way. it took 10 months to build it. So he made less then 1000 dollars a month. You could make more money by working as a general laborer in my area lol.

ZeroXSEED 2013-11-18 09:32

He actually doing that model for ten months...

suiton629 2013-11-18 09:34

Yea.
But apparently that's how much that guy made.

Damn. If I sold 1 thing online for even $5000 I would probably go on a berserk shopping mode after paying like 2 months worth of regular monthly bills ahead of time and then spend the rest in gifts for myself, family, friends, and random online buddies. lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED (Post 4913024)
He actually doing that model for ten months...

Ah. Damn. So then I guess this wouldn't be such a wise investment. LOL
Hopefully the guy has a regular steady paying job.

:)

Providenceangle 2013-11-18 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by suiton629 (Post 4913026)
Yea.
But apparently that's how much that guy made.

Damn. If I sold 1 thing online for even $5000 I would probably go on a berserk shopping mode after paying like 2 months worth of regular monthly bills ahead of time and then spend the rest in gifts for myself, family, friends, and random online buddies. lol

Ah. Damn. So then I guess this wouldn't be such a wise investment. LOL
Hopefully the guy has a regular steady paying job.

Well the real problem I see is... It could be false self promotion. If you can sell a kit for 9k, your personal worth goes up. It could have been his friends, or even him inflating the bid price. If it's honest, I have nothing but respect for the builder, but if it's what I would assume it is. I'm fairly disgusted(that I could never make that much lol) that anyone would do that for the publicity. Wait a minute... Forget it, North America is the land of Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus.

Strigon 13 2013-11-18 10:08

Well guys, I need your spiritual help here:

I have enough money to buy a certain kit, my options are: a 1/144 HGUC Hi-Nu Gundam, a RG RX-78-2, and a RG Destiny Gundam. Which one is better?

Also there's a guy who gave me an offer: GN Arm Type D + Gundam Dynames in 40$; it worth?

suiton629 2013-11-18 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strigon 13 (Post 4913076)

I have enough money to buy a certain kit, my options are: a 1/144 HGUC Hi-Nu Gundam, a RG RX-78-2, and a RG Destiny Gundam. Which one is better?

Also there's a guy who gave me an offer: GN Arm Type D + Gundam Dynames in 40$; it worth?

I have heard a lot of issues with the RG RX-78-2 with parts breaking or popping off very easily. I think that is understandable considering it is the first RG. So to that one I would say no.

I'm not a fan of HGs so the HGUC Hi-Nu is a no.

So I would suggest the RG Destiny Gundam, and if you can, also get the Expansion Set that gives the Wings of Light and that smokey gray Action Base 2.

Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)
In regards to the Dynames...

If you want it, then go for it. $40 brand new seems reasonable considering the ones I've found are much more.

http://www.gundamplanet.com/gn-arms-...m-dynames.html --> $78.95
http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-Type-D-...rds=dynames+gn --> $86.14
http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN955747/Gun --> $48.67

ZeroXSEED 2013-11-18 10:26

Get the dynames + GN arms

You'll not regret it

Providenceangle 2013-11-18 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strigon 13 (Post 4913076)

I would choose the HG Hi-Nu. Of course I own it so I'm slightly biased. Are they all similarly priced for you? If so I would say, get the RG Destiny. Only if it's the same price for you though. Getting a RG for HG price is a steal. Sadly getting a HG at RG price is a ripoff though.

RX93-2 2013-11-18 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHige (Post 4912986)
Jebus.

While paying 9000 dollar for that is a lot of money if you would calculate an hourly rate from the work he put into that I doubt it would be an extreme number.
Let's say he took 150 hours for that, something I can easily see between planning, sculpting, tryouts, broken parts or mistakes, etc. say 500 bucks for materials to keep the numbers easy. That's an hourly rate of 56.67; that is high but less extreme then it seems at first glance; especially if he is in the top-end of modellers out there skillwise.

Providenceangle 2013-11-18 12:13

This is true. There are modelers that make more money, per hour. Some people will customize a kit on commission in a few days. Making maximum profit.

See now I got the itch again. Every time I see something amazing it makes me start working on something. Pulled out this old guy. Going to go all out.

Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)

Appel 2013-11-18 14:22

HNNNNGGG my PG Strike Freedom just arrived in customs... I am so damn excited!
Got some gold spray paints ready (too lazy to airbrush so many pieces), this is gonna be a long build I hope^^

Knight-of-Gold 2013-11-18 14:29

These kinds of prices for the NU are not uncommon in Japan. There is a huge market for professionally finished gunpla.
As of this moment there are a number of MG kits on Yahoo Auctions japan that are over $300 and a MG Strike that is approaching $800.

suiton629 2013-11-18 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight-of-Gold (Post 4913366)
These kinds of prices are not uncommon in Japan. There is a huge market for professionally finished gunpla.
As of this moment there are a number of MG kits on Yahoo Auctions japan that are over $300 and a MG Strike that is approaching $800.

That's quite sad. I mean the cost of living in Japan is actually quite high from what I understand, and regardless of how much money people there make, I wouldn't spend $300+ on 1 GunPla kit; especially one that someone already built.

Providenceangle 2013-11-18 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by suiton629 (Post 4913381)
That's quite sad. I mean the cost of living in Japan is actually quite high from what I understand, and regardless of how much money people there make, I wouldn't spend $300+ on 1 GunPla kit; especially one that someone already built.

I would assume most if not all those who do gunpla, have full-time jobs. They just do it as a hobby. Sales are probably used to fuel their own collections.

RX93-2 2013-11-18 16:00

I won't rule out picking up a decently priced pre-modelled model sometime in the future when I have more disposable income. Making them on your own is a lot of fun but there are a few select kits I can't do justice too myself.

Knight-of-Gold 2013-11-18 16:47

Quote:

Well considering the price paid its obviously bought by someone who is rather wealthy. They likely do gunpla of their own but like to splash out on a masterpiece for their collection.

HurricaneHige 2013-11-18 16:57

$300 and $9000 is a big difference.

I would spend $100 on concert tickets, but I won't spent $3000 no matter who I'm seeing, unless they came back from the death.

30 times the cost, or $8700, is nothing to write off.

suiton629 2013-11-18 17:33

Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread) Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread) Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)
Looks like MG Exia Repair 3 is likely? If those are the only parts needed, then I'm like 90% confident that Bandai is going to push another P-Bandai Online Exclusive for MG Exia Repair 3.

ZeroXSEED 2013-11-18 17:36

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHige (Post 4913498)
$300 and $9000 is a big difference.

I would spend $100 on concert tickets, but I won't spent $3000 no matter who I'm seeing, unless they came back from the death.

30 times the cost, or $8700, is nothing to write off.

Wut, so were bashing 'overpriced' models built with uber dedication that took months and shit left and right now?

I mean it's a freaking auction, so you want to bash the buyer or something?

Skye629 2013-11-18 19:24

Hmmmm I should sell my models too

http://www.netbooknews.com/wp-conten...on-dollars.jpg

FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS

All joking aside I did another impulse buy lol

HG Build Strike

Took all my self control not to grab that Zaku Amazing as well xD

suiton629 2013-11-18 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skye629 (Post 4913615)
Hmmmm I should sell my models too

http://www.netbooknews.com/wp-conten...on-dollars.jpg

FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS

All joking aside I did another impulse buy lol

HG Build Strike

Took all my self control not to grab that Zaku Amazing as well xD

Shame. I would've held off and gotten the MG Build Strike Gundam Full Package.

Skye629 2013-11-18 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by suiton629 (Post 4913616)
Shame. I would've held off and gotten the MG Build Strike Gundam Full Package.

And how is it a shame when I could just buy both?

suiton629 2013-11-18 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by skye629 (Post 4913618)
and how is it a shame when i could just buy both?

mg > hg

Skye629 2013-11-18 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by suiton629 (Post 4913619)
mg > hg

Opinion

And you are missing my point, care to guess?

ZeroXSEED 2013-11-18 19:49

Don't mind suiton, Skye

He's always like that :p

There's a build strike in the shop closeby, but I'm aiming for Zaku Amazing instead.

Aurelis 2013-11-18 19:51

The funny thing is, he could have paid the modeller directly for a commission work at maybe $5,000 for both customized MG Nu Ver Ka and MG Sazabi Ver Ka or one of those G-System resins. I'm all for spending money on quality works but sometimes there's better alternatives. Can't blame the buyer though, did you see the amazing detail of prism effect on the fin funnels? :p

For me personally, the Build Strike and Zaku Amazing didn't really excite me but I've always liked looking at other's completed models.

Skye629 2013-11-18 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED (Post 4913646)
Don't mind suiton, Skye

He's always like that :p

There's a build strike in the shop closeby, but I'm aiming for Zaku Amazing instead.

Dont mind me, its fun to mess with him, heck if he left this place would actually become a bit more dull lol

Im probably gonna get the Zaku Amazing at some point too, but right now I need to save money for Black Friday lol, so I only went with one for the time being xD

Really want the X Maou and Fenice too

Shinobi2013 2013-11-18 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by suiton629 (Post 4913619)
mg > hg

It will be more cool if you have both the MG and HG of the same model more specifically it's a lead unit. That's what I do.

suiton629 2013-11-18 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinobi2013 (Post 4913851)
It will be more cool if you have both the MG and HG of the same model more specifically it's a lead unit. That's what I do.

I guess there is some value is having the SD, HG, and MG of a lead unit.
But if space and money is a concern, then I just stick with the important MG...or as of late RGs as well.

MG > RG >> HG > SD

That's pretty much how I view it.

Sticking with Age, 00, Seed, Seed Destiny, Wing Endless Waltz ver., X, and G.. I think I'm good the way I buy GunPla.

Beside my collection is actually quite vast as it is.

Spoiler:

So yes. As you can see, there's quite a collection.
Now you tell me. Should I get HGs and SDs too? LOL Wouldn't make sense when I have far superior MGs and RGs.

Even more so since I am hoping we get these MGs

Spoiler:

Shinobi2013 2013-11-19 00:14

Eerr, if you'll use the logic and common sense, the smaller/cheaper HG is even more space and money saver than the bigger/more expensive MG.

Quote:

Now you tell me. Should I get HGs and SDs too? LOL Wouldn't make sense when I have far superior MGs and RGs.
Believe it or not, even if I already have the MG Strike Freedom(Bought in new year 2007), I still bought the HG version of Strike Freedom(Bought in Christmas 2010) because I want to own it as well in 1/144 size , that's my reason regardless who is much superior or not.

suiton629 2013-11-19 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinobi2013 (Post 4913878)
Eerr, if you'll use the logic and common sense, the smaller/cheaper HG is even more space and money saver than the bigger/more expensive MG.

Believe it or not, even if I already have the MG Strike Freedom, I still bought the HG version of Strike Freedom because I want to own it as well in 1/144 size so my reason is that they are in different scale or size.

Should have waited and gotten the RG.