AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam ^^ (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=3926)

MaGic 2003-12-31 16:46

Gundam ^^

Well
I just finished watching Gundam seed, and I have to say it's one of the best animes I have ever seen *_*

A little annoying ending but still a good series

I hope there will be a second season soon and now I'm starting to watch other gundam series

Sooooo, someone saw it? and if you did what do ya think about it? :D

guynextdoor 2003-12-31 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaGic
Well
I just finished watching Gundam seed, and I have to say it's one of the best animes I have ever seen *_*

A little annoying ending but still a good series

I hope there will be a second season soon and now I'm starting to watch other gundam series

Sooooo, someone saw it? and if you did what do ya think about it? :D

one of the better mecha series then maybe, but one of the best animes ? no no. there are much better shows out there IMO :)

sperry 2004-01-03 18:19

Loved it. My favorite gundam series, by far, and one of my favorite anime. The story, while a MSG clone in the beginning, was fantastic in the second half. And the characters... wow they were great. I was dissapointed by the ending as well, it just... wasn't too good. The music, of course, is amazing. I don't think there was a single song or instrumental I didn't like. A great series. ^^

coldzero 2004-01-05 23:32

yeah i watched it. I loved it especially teh music it was awsome.
Ya there is a second season-rather a sequal, Gundam Seed 2

Briareos 2004-01-06 15:24

I have to say that I favor old-school Gundam over SEED. Specifically 0080 and 08th MS team. There's a lot of Gundam I have yet to see, but SEED is certainly not on my best list. The story could have been better written. The mecha lost some flair in the CG modeling, and the show missed many chances to be better than it was.

I guess I rate Gundam series partially on how much I care about characters that die. With Gundam Wing and SEED, I didn't care as much.

BME 2004-01-06 16:08

Well, 8th MS Team was really good, but SEED is my favorite Gundam, I hated 0080, 0083 was ok, but the ending was to much political intriuge for me to follow.

I liked the SEED ending, know that there was a sequel in the works, and then there´s the MSG:SEED Astray Manga coming too.

method 2004-01-06 16:23

The Seed2 rumor reported at Comic-con (or one of those conventions) turned out to be a joke. According to the director the plans for a movie were also scrapped. There probably will be a sequel to Seed, but in what format and when is the big question.

brightman 2004-01-06 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Briareos
I have to say that I favor old-school Gundam over SEED. Specifically 0080 and 08th MS team. There's a lot of Gundam I have yet to see, but SEED is certainly not on my best list. The story could have been better written. The mecha lost some flair in the CG modeling, and the show missed many chances to be better than it was.

I guess I rate Gundam series partially on how much I care about characters that die. With Gundam Wing and SEED, I didn't care as much.

Then you cared about the deaths of guys like
Spoiler:

And I REALLY don't think 08th MS Team should be considered "old-school"... The last episode was released in 1999 after all, that's pretty damn new (newer than every Gundam anime other than Seed and the latter half of Turn A)

Kaka 2004-01-06 22:24

for me, I think I am more like a UC fan than AU fan.........
but I do like seed :)
it's the only AU series that I like :heh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightman
And I REALLY don't think 08th MS Team should be considered "old-school"... The last episode was released in 1999 after all, that's pretty damn new (newer than every Gundam anime other than Seed and the latter half of Turn A)

yeah, but I believe the first episode of 08th MS team was released someday in 1995 ^^;; a BIT old, but I won't consider it as old-school too

offtopic.....
arggghhhh!!! animesukie should at least make a gundam forum !! :(
now the gundam threads are stuck in the middle of nowhere.......

Go-lytely 2004-01-07 02:15

For those who didnt like the end of Seed, what didnt you like about it? It wrapped things up nicely I thought.

brightman 2004-01-07 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaka
yeah, but I believe the first episode of 08th MS team was released someday in 1995 ^^;; a BIT old, but I won't consider it as old-school too

Yeah that's true (actually it's Early 1996), and it took them quite a while to release the whole thing because of the death of the director... But then again nowadays that's pretty much the normal release schedule for OVAs (with a 5 episode series like Macross Zero needing two and a half year to come out)

But still, I think anything after G Gundam (1994) or even V Gundam (1993) shouldn't be considered old-school or even "old" at all. The people who started off with those are second-generation Gundam fans by that time after all (in Japan that is). :)

Briareos 2004-01-07 12:25

Quote:

Then you cared about the deaths of guys like
Spoiler:

Well, old-school was certainly the wrong term to use. I was going for brevity at the time. What I meant was more complicated.

Gundam 0080, 0083, and 08th MS Team all fit very nicely (with certain arguable exception) into the spirit and continuity of the original series in the UC timeline. None of the shows goes overboard with MS design, and I think the refined and enhanced designs from 08th MS team are the best mech designs in the whole franchise. Each of these shows focuses on the average soldier and -- with the exception of 0083 -- a small part of a larger war. Thus we're left with the best (IMO) of what Gundam is all about_: The horrors of war, and how it affects the people involved.

Maybe few of the characters that died in 08th MS Team were major ones, but we got to know each of those who perished in a very human way. Some of those who died were great examples of humanity, while others presented a darker side, but each death had an emotional effect and was often very pertinent to the story.
Spoiler:
It's the humanity of all these characters in this awful setting that makes these shows great.

brightman 2004-01-08 18:34

Well, by contrast I didn't really feel anything for anyone that died in 08th MS... Maybe it's because it's too short and we really didn't get to know those characters very well (other than Ginias)... So they just felt like the other few thousand Gundam characters that show up for one or two episodes, get developed and die (especially in the Tomino ones). And Ginias... Prototypical nutcase... But SD Gundam G Generation Advance made him get infected with Devil Gundam cells and I find that pretty funny.

As for the mecha designs... Yeah, the redesigns are great, but the Ez8 is probably the ugliest main Gundam of them all, maybe followed by Victory Gundam and the V-Dash... But that's just me.

Kaka 2004-01-13 22:57

That's true too.......

Ez8 isn't that bad actually ^^;;;;;

h3lldiver 2004-01-14 03:17

Gundam seed is quite good, although i dont like the ending either, i still think that EZ8 is the best, Turn A is the worse :(

brightman 2004-01-14 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by h3lldiver
Gundam seed is quite good, although i dont like the ending either, i still think that EZ8 is the best, Turn A is the worse :(

Meh... Turn A happens to be one of my favorites... It looks great in animation, and the placement of the "Gundam V-fins" and the cockpit are just classic... :heh:

h3lldiver 2004-01-14 10:08

Quote:

Meh... Turn A happens to be one of my favorites... It looks great in animation, and the placement of the "Gundam V-fins" and the cockpit are just classic... :heh:

hehehehe, i just think that it sounds very weird to combine gundam with prop planes. for the mecha, its kind of weird to see the gundam face, although it has a cool body. erhm and to be honest i also didnt see the movie yet

brightman 2004-01-14 12:10

The face is not THAT bad... You're just not use to it. :p

http://mysite.verizon.net/brightman/turna.gif

There ARE some horrendous looking mecha in Turn A Gundam though (for example the FLAT which is transformable suits at their worst and the RIB which looks like something out of Hangman), but IMO the Gundam itself isn't one of them...

Kaka 2004-01-14 13:48

but before I can get into the story of Turn A, I just got bored to death after watching up to ep.11 ^^bbbb

guess I should ask my friend to lend me the boxset again someday..........

I still need to "study" more about gundam :heh:

brightman 2004-01-14 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaka
but before I can get into the story of Turn A, I just got bored to death after watching up to ep.11 ^^bbbb

guess I should ask my friend to lend me the boxset again someday..........

I still need to "study" more about gundam :heh:

Turn A is more character oriented than the rest, and Tomino is said to be most proud of it out of all his work... Plus Dianna Soreil is generally regarded as the best female character in Gundam and Loran Cehack apparently was voted in as people's favorite Gundam protagonist of all time in a recent poll (which was voted on by only 500 people though so I'm not so sure about its results)...

Needless to say 11 episodes isn't nearly enough for people to judge this show (same with other shows with slow beginnings like Victory, G, X, and even Zeta)...