AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Light Novels (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Ro-Kyu-Bu! (Light Novels) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=107719)

Calca 2011-10-16 02:51

Ro-Kyu-Bu! (Light Novels)

Anyone even know what happens in the light novels after the anime series?

tsunade666 2011-10-16 04:03

in the latest volume they enter middle school if the changes in uniform and drawing means anything. And they are still 5 girls. No new girls join them thus their last year in elementary went by without them entering the tournament.

Now that the 1 year suspension of Subaru's basket ball team is over. I'm more excited to know what will he do.

houkoholic 2011-10-16 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsunade666 (Post 3809819)
in the latest volume they enter middle school if the changes in uniform and drawing means anything. And they are still 5 girls. No new girls join them thus their last year in elementary went by without them entering the tournament.

Now that the 1 year suspension of Subaru's basket ball team is over. I'm more excited to know what will he do.

Er I don't know where you get the information but at volume 8 they are in the month of September, now Japanese school years begins in April, so they actually have another 6-7 months in the novel time before the girls graduate from primary school.

Also in volume 8 the story ends with the formation of the 5th grader girls basketball team which includes Hinata's sister Kagetsu and some new characters. The 5th grader team is being coached by Aoi. Combined together they actually have the 10 members need to enter official competition, so I'm expecting that they might actually head into that direction eventually, as it seems that the story is setup that they might have a revenge match against Miyu aka Chibi Ribbon's team on an official match.

Volume 9 just came out a week ago so I don't know where it's heading, but from the short description on Amazon JP it looks like it's school trip story thus the season is still autumn so there's plenty of months left until the girls graduate, not to mention we have yet to see whether Tomoka is going to invite Subaru to watch stars again in winter for that constellation that she was too embarrassed to tell the name to Subaru (hint: it's actually quite easy to figure out what Tomoka was looking for, look up Pleiades on wiki).

tsunade666 2011-10-17 01:34

nope, I just assume that because there's been a change in uniform but maybe that's because change of season? and also the art feels differ in the later volumes.

And if there is new girls why isn't there an illustration for them? I only get the see the 5 girls always.

houkoholic 2011-10-17 02:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsunade666 (Post 3811225)
And if there is new girls why isn't there an illustration for them? I only get the see the 5 girls always.

There's illustrations for the 5th graders in volume 8.

The 5th graders aren't officially in the same team as Tomoka et al and Subara aren't training them, I'm just speculating that somewhere in the future they would join together just so that they would have the numbers to enter official competition, but even then I really doubt they would mix the two teams together as the story is so focused on the team work that is only possible with the original 5.

tsunade666 2011-10-17 11:29

Then they won't be able to play in an official game and even if that part was already mentioned in the anime or vol 4. It still sad and pointless for me if they can't enter a game.

houkoholic 2011-10-17 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsunade666 (Post 3811753)
Then they won't be able to play in an official game and even if that part was already mentioned in the anime or vol 4. It still sad and pointless for me if they can't enter a game.

I'm pretty sure the author will use the numbers provided by the 5th graders to enter official games, I'm just saying that he won't mix the 5th graders with Tomoka's team when it comes to them actually playing, similar to how Natsuhi pulled out in the last moment for the class rep match. The author would probably just make the 5th graders sit on the bench or only swap them in for a very very brief moment, not unlike how it was done in Slam Dunk.

Yes that's 3 of them and we've already seen Kagetsu.

Yui Is My Wife 2011-10-18 04:21

Since she's the only character in the franchise who can pull it off, wouldn't it be an absolute riot if Airi-chan pullled this classic Sakuragi-Hanamichi scene on Subaru when she attempts to practice her slam dunk for the first time? :heh::heh::heh:

Spoiler for Are you ready to LAUGH?:
:heh::heh::heh:

mechdra 2011-10-19 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsunade666 (Post 3811753)

Who are these loli?" I know they are the 5th grader but what is their name? From what I had gone through in the japanese wiki, all the 5th grader are very good player individually but not as a team.

The new team members is also interesting for being who they are. We already know Hinata's sister is in. While the other four are a French loli, Natsuhi's twin sisters and a sushi girl.

tsunade666 2011-10-19 09:01

so there is a sushi girl on this fifth grader.... too bad I don't see an illustration of her. And those twin's are Natsuhi's little sister? I bet his having a hard time.

houkoholic 2011-10-19 18:47

Spoilers for the 5th graders:

Spoiler:

judasmartel 2011-10-20 02:06

What? No legit Power Forward yet? But well, the team could use an undersized PF in Kagetsu. Or a real one in the French girl. I mean, European girls are more athletic, after all IMO.

Well, if they decide to make it Slam Dunk-style, i.e., if Subaru will have the 5th graders as bench-warmers as Shohoku did to their reserves, I honestly think it could potentially destroy the team's chemistry unless the core group of Tomoka would act Big Sister Mentors to their kouhais.

Nonetheless, it could still be a humbling experience for the 5th graders (especially Mimi) so they would learn to play as a team together with the core group and believing in their own people on the court.

My opinion on the 5th graders:

Mimi - Hmmm... She's like Tomoka, only probably better, and given her personality, she could thrive as a legit SG for Keishin. Saki and Maho are rather specialized in mid to long range shots, but at least Saki can play PG when Mokkan becomes too polite to give the ball to Maho whenever she wants it.

Natsuhi's twin sisters - They remind me of the Morris twins (Marcus and Markieff), so they could become the 1-2 combo among the reserves of Keishin. With that, and their Hot Blooded Personality, Subaru can use a variation of Confusion Fu against some of the tougher opponents they might face in tournament play. And oh dear boy, who doesn't love Confusion Fu?

Kagetsu - as mentioned above, a potential undersized PF. Man, we just can't have a Power Forward loli.

Misami - Hmmm... Good foil to Saki, she reminds me of Mitsui. Yes, THAT Mitsui. With her 3-point shots, she's one formidable force to reckon coming off the bench. And I'm the kind of guy who loves shooting from downtown. I would like to add, there's a reason why Allan Caidic is such a legend in Asia that even the powerhouse Chinese teams are afraid of the number 8 during the 90's.

So, anybody else thinks Subaru's team will go run-and-gun all the way?

houkoholic 2011-10-20 03:56

Maho is the legit PF in the team. While she started off as a shooter due to the nature of the Girl vs Boy match, afterwards Subaru had retrained everyone into their proper position, thus turning Maho into a PF and had been teaching her plays under the ring and rebound skills. But Maho being Maho she's still striving to be able to shoot as well as Tomoka so she's unique in that when it comes to it she can draw back and land those medium range shots. The match against Chibi Ribbon actually shows Maho playing under the basket but sadly those got left on the chopping board for the anime.

It would be interesting to see how Aoi arranges the 5th graders into a team. And it looks like that the 5th graders already has another chance to play in the next volume (10).

Anyway the last couple of volumes (7,8) the author is slowly cementing everyone's position and wrote scenarios to show off their skills. Volume 7 is where Airi gets proper training as a centre from a person playing centre (her brother and Aoi), and volume 8 shows us Saki is now a fully capable PG in that not only she can set up the game but can score when needs to (compared to what happened against Chibi Ribbon). Unfortunately volume 9 the girls didn't get to play (just finished reading) so none of the girls got to show off (except Aoi and Subara whom played this time), but I suspect next volume is probably going to be Maho or Hinata's turn to "level up".

judasmartel 2011-10-20 04:26

Oh, I see. It's probably because I was wishing for a PF at around the same height as Airi, but given that Airi's so absurdly big for her age that she's automatically the C, it has been kinda acceptable to me that Maho might be the legit PF of the core team after all.

And yeah, Maho was trained into shooting because it will make Subaru's 4-1 offense vs the boys team very effective. After all, if the opposing team tries to gang up on your only offensive threat, she could just pass the ball to anyone wide open for an uncontested shot.

Then, against Chibi Ribbon's team, Subaru would have to admit that the 2-3 Zone Defense applied by Suzuridani is such a pain to crack, but hey, they're the heroes, so they will find a way. Using a relatively simple yet awesome offensive playbook that pretty much brought down the 2-3 Zone because of its sheer unpredictability. Still, Maho's shooting abilities come into play on this game.

I think it was a good part for the author to determine what positions do all the girls play, at least the core group ATM.

Hmmm... I think they're a balanced team now. Balanced enough to go run-and-gun, that is.

blitz1/2 2011-10-20 05:49

Looks like Subaru's harem(?) has grown?

stormtrooper 2011-10-20 10:37

Hopefully they can have more members on the team. The 5 can already play but they will exhaust themselves as the game goes on. I think it would still be the 5 girls unless Subaru can recruit more girls in joining the team for them to compete in a game + have resting time for the first 5.

I think they need a PF who's a little taller than Saki or as tall as Airi. I can only hope so. Maho is undersized for the PF and she is also the 2nd option for offense for the team. Maho must learn how to be a good rebounder and learn to play in the post. She can shoot so it's not a problem.

Saki as PG is good enough. She just needs to practice more on her jump shots and must be able to drive inside and pass to an open teammate. She'll be a good teammate if that happens.

Hinata must concentrate on defense, where she can excel. On offense, she must be able to drive inside and kick out for a pass or be able to shoot when bailed out or sneak past the defenders if possible. I think she needs to shine this time.

Airi must be a force under the basket since her height is her might. She must also be able to get rebounds.

tsunade666 2011-10-20 12:27

apparently the one who handles the 5th grade is Aoi and Subaru is still centered on coaching the 6th graders.

Thanks for the info of the novel. I wish it will be translated someday.

And if by each book the girls are being trained and level up. I wish they will start doing the tournament after the training. It might be good for the girls to train but I still don't see much meaning if they can't play in an official game.

judasmartel 2011-10-20 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormtrooper (Post 3816532)
Hopefully they can have more members on the team. The 5 can already play but they will exhaust themselves as the game goes on. I think it would still be the 5 girls unless Subaru can recruit more girls in joining the team for them to compete in a game + have resting time for the first 5.

Probably the only reason why the authors would add new members for Keishin girls' basketball team. That way, we can see the core group playing a real tournament, and plus the extra members can come in handy if anyone among the first 5 gets a Game-Breaking Injury, given the intense physical nature of Basketball.

Quote:

I think they need a PF who's a little taller than Saki or as tall as Airi. I can only hope so. Maho is undersized for the PF and she is also the 2nd option for offense for the team. Maho must learn how to be a good rebounder and learn to play in the post. She can shoot so it's not a problem.
This. I have already mentioned this a lot of times in both AS and MAL forums, but it's just too bad that we won't have a real PF like that. After all, an extremely balanced team or a team of giants would become boring after a while. If anything, I would prefer a team similar to the present Chicago Bulls. Or just any team dominated by small guys.

Quote:

Saki as PG is good enough. She just needs to practice more on her jump shots and must be able to drive inside and pass to an open teammate. She'll be a good teammate if that happens.
That way, Mokkan can just focus on offense as a full-blown SF without having to set up plays where they could be vulnerable when Maho goes Leeroy Jenkins.

Quote:

Hinata must concentrate on defense, where she can excel. On offense, she must be able to drive inside and kick out for a pass or be able to shoot when bailed out or sneak past the defenders if possible. I think she needs to shine this time.
Yeah, I have always loved Hinata on defense. I could only remember her taking a charge from Natsuhi. That was Made of Win. On offense, she's as interesting as her no-look back-handed shot from the anime.

Quote:

Airi must be a force under the basket since her height is her might. She must also be able to get rebounds.
Indeed. The role of Center is definitely to intimidate the opposing team with her size and length.

That said, who would be the Sixth Man of the Team? Mimi or Kagetsu?

houkoholic 2011-10-21 02:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormtrooper (Post 3816532)

I think that's preciously why the author went all the way and introduced the 5th grader team - this would allow the Tomoka's team to enter official competition and also not break them up.

Quote:

I don't think they would do it. Ro-kyu-bu has that typical underdog theme going for it, every one of the girls has some weakness that is disadvantages in their position which they would then overcome with their own personal strength. Maho fits this ongoing theme and the perfect underdog PF character in that she is very talent but is somewhat physically challenged. Also they are still just primary school children, so you can't have another atypically tall person like Airi in the team (that would be REALLY unfair). Thirdly Subaru himself is a PG and is small, thus his basketball philosophy is always focused on team play and overcoming height deficiency, unless they introduce another player to act as couch his style would be the main focus.

Quote:

Saki faked out and drove past Misami, so she's almost there already.

Quote:

Hinata has shown talent in tricky and unpredictable play style and had been able to cut some passes, so she's also getting there. It's just a matter of the story setting up a match where she can be in the spotlight.

Quote:

She can do that now too. Both Airi and Saki have pretty much settled into their positions and have all the necessary basic skills.

judasmartel 2011-10-21 05:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by houkoholic (Post 3817678)
I think that's preciously why the author went all the way and introduced the 5th grader team - this would allow the Tomoka's team to enter official competition and also not break them up.

This, precisely. In addition, this setup could give the first five a rest since they could get exhausted rather quickly.

Quote:

I don't think they would do it. Ro-kyu-bu has that typical underdog theme going for it, every one of the girls has some weakness that is disadvantages in their position which they would then overcome with their own personal strength. Maho fits this ongoing theme and the perfect underdog PF character in that she is very talent but is somewhat physically challenged. Also they are still just primary school children, so you can't have another atypically tall person like Airi in the team (that would be REALLY unfair). Thirdly Subaru himself is a PG and is small, thus his basketball philosophy is always focused on team play and overcoming height deficiency, unless they introduce another player to act as couch his style would be the main focus.
Now that's why I was thinking that a second big guy (or girl, in this case) for Keishin could make them Game Breakers. They are indeed primary school kids, so Airi is an exception rather than the norm for her age.

So, who would be the Sixth Man, then?