AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Lovely Complex (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=32126)

Yotsuba 2006-05-11 21:57

Lovely Complex

Does anyone else here read/love this series? I love Otani and even though he's short I can see why he's popular. I really feel for Risa too, because I'm not feminine and sort of tall for my age. Most boys never really thought of me as a girl in school.

This is being made into a live-action movie, it's out this August. I'm so excited, I think the main characters were casted pretty well and it looks good. I want to see it!!

raspooner 2007-04-12 16:25

Lovely Complex

i just started reading this series and i'm hooked!!
but i can't seem to find scanlations past chapter 21 :(
does anyone know a site with more??

kira-sama 2007-04-13 11:34

i like this manga too
but the anime is already out right? i mean episode1
too bad there hasn't subs yet

Risaa 2007-05-24 23:50

Ah~ Those of you into the manga, does the anime follow it well? This may be one series I pick up because I'm lovin' the anime. :)

Alice Elliot 2007-06-02 12:26

@Risaa Actually the manga contains more material than the anime but nothing important was changed or forgotten in the anime. The manga is definetely worth a read though :) But hm I read til the latest chapter it seems to be volume 6 out of 16 and if the anime goes on like it does now it shouldn't take much longer til it is at the same point as I'm with reading now. And to LoveCom fans I highly recommend Koukou Debut, unfortunately only the manga is out, but it's totally cute and worth reading ^^

Amalia 2007-06-03 14:42

Oh yes...I just want to read this manga soooo much because of my love for the anime.

Vexx 2007-06-03 17:07

My understanding is that the manga contains a lot more of the "decaying orbit" type of romance (things get better/worse/better in multiple arcs) but that the adaptation to anime was fairly successful.

I've got an eye out for it (gotta sell off all my "started but aborted" series first).

Alice Elliot 2007-06-03 17:49

@Vexx Yep the Anime follows the manga very well and gives off the same atmosphere and feeling which is most important. Though Risa is even cuter in the Manga ^^

Risaa 2007-06-03 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice Elliot (Post 976540)
@Vexx Yep the Anime follows the manga very well and gives off the same atmosphere and feeling which is most important. Though Risa is even cuter in the Manga ^^

An even *cuter* Risa? That does it... I'm going to look into getting it later this year. I'm getting really good vibes about it. :p

Wow! The first shoujo manga for me in a long while.

TalonK 2007-06-04 08:48

Just a heads up to everyone, this manga has been licensed as Love*Com by Viz Media. It has a US release date of July 3rd 2007.

Risaa 2007-06-04 09:11

I wanted to see if the manga keeps the visual gags of the anime... and saw this... Enough. I probably won't be waiting until late this year to get it. That really cracked me up. :O

xris 2007-06-04 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalonK (Post 977482)
Just a heads up to everyone, this manga has been licensed as Love*Com by Viz Media. It has a US release date of July 3rd 2007.

Thanks for that, I noticed the release of Love*Com but never noticed it was Lovely*Complex :heh:

Link to Love*Com at Viz

Please remember that the Love*Com manga is licensed by Viz.

Since it is licensed the following posts are no longer allowed
  • Asking where you can find Love*Com manga downloads, scans or translations.
  • Linking to Love*Com manga downloads, scans or translations.
  • Discussing Love*Com scan groups (past or present).
These rules applies to the raws as well.

You still are allowed to discuss the manga, that has not changed but please remember to limit the discussion to the story itself.

Vexx 2007-06-04 11:55

Not that I really 'get' the phrase Lovely Complex ... but Love*Com sounds just as random :)

Extremely glad to see this title jump the water.

Alice Elliot 2007-06-04 14:29

@Risaa Lol, yea that's indeed one of the best things this chapter ^^:; I just loved her face and then those words of enthusiasm xD I'm really happy that the anime took over all these silly face expressions, hehe ^^ Now I finally know who Maity is Q_Q

Ah and anyone wants to see a super pretty Risa?

Risaa 2007-06-04 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 977703)
Not that I really 'get' the phrase Lovely Complex ... but Love*Com sounds just as random :)

Hmm, you may already know, but the Japanese (like Koreans too, actually... the examples I used are also used in Korean) like to shorten long foreign words. So you get neat words like:

Remote control -> RemoCon -> rimokon
Television -> Televi -> terebi

So I'm not surprised in the least that Lovely Complex was also shortened... I almost expected that it would be when I realized "Lovely Complex" was the title (and not a translation of the title).... (Besides... doesn't "rabu kon" sound cute? :) )

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice Elliot (Post 977870)
Ah and anyone wants to see a super pretty Risa?

I can't even recognize her... I guess I need the context @_@; This series has a lot of shocking moments... I love. ;)

Vexx 2007-06-04 18:39

Yeah, I'm aware of the japanese (korean, too, eh?) predilection for mangling phrases into short "acronym-words"... ('persocom' is a favorite).

but what does "lovely complex" mean? The closest linguistic blob I can think of is "Lolita complex" (shortened to lolicon) .... so the "lovely complex" means someone who has a fascination with lovely things???

Anyway, any clues appreciated but that's the best I can figure so far.

Risaa 2007-06-04 20:09

I didn't think of "lovely complex" like lolicon... I assumed "complex" was being used informally to mean "a disproportionate concern or anxiety about something" (quoting from my comp dictionary :heh: ), because Risa and Atsushi both have complexes about their heights.

I'm more unsure about "lovely" though... One thing it might be is that it has "love" in it, and their complexes about their heights are preventing them from feeling OK about falling in love with others.. especially each other. I'm really guessing about this one though.

Ah.. pasocon is also used in Korean... it could be that it was taken from Japanese. Last-last semester I found out that many Korean loan words are taken from Japanese, which took it from whatever language it came from (like "arubaito", if I remember right, is originally German, Japanese took it, then Korean took it from Japanese)... So many Korean loan words are said with a Korean accent on an already-Japanese-accented word. Eep, does that make sense?

(This post is nerdy, isn't it. D: )

Vexx 2007-06-04 20:16

as was my question .... pure nerdity.

pinoymutt 2007-06-21 18:08

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this manga, as it totally rocks! I loved the movie, and I definitely as really happy about how the anime follows pretty closely, but I definitely would put this at the top of my list!!

Alexandrite 2007-06-22 01:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinoymutt (Post 1005226)
I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this manga, as it totally rocks! I loved the movie, and I definitely as really happy about how the anime follows pretty closely, but I definitely would put this at the top of my list!!

Many people, including myself, will/are probably be keeping up with the manga, but I suppose there's not much for some people to say on the matter unless they've read more than the preview in Shojo Beat. Once the first volume comes out, I'm sure more posts will be generated. For now, the concentration is probably on the anime.