AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   One Piece (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   One Piece - Chapter 531 [Manga] (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=77733)

xris 2009-02-04 11:55

One Piece - Chapter 531 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

kari-no-sugata 2009-02-04 12:02

Copying over my post from 530:

The babe is Sadi-chan - if you don't add the -chan, she gets angry. Oh, and she's head of torture or something - she's "sadi" as in sadistic. She also orders the drawbridge at the entrance to be raised - basically raise all defences and make it as hard as possible for Luffy and co to escape.

Meanwhile, Hancock finally meets Ace. The other prisoners are going wild over seeing such a beautiful woman and eventually Magellan creates a poison dragon and says he has the right and ability to execute anyone at any time. This terrifies nearly everyone, but during this time, Hancock whispers to Ace. They then leave. Ace then tells Jinbei that she said that Luffy has come here - Jinbei already knows about Luffy since Ace has spoken a lot about him.

Meanwhile, Luffy himself isn't getting anywhere nearly gets caught in a net again. He also comes across the "lion" again when in jumps Bon Clay using Zoro's face (heh). Luffy's happy to see Bon Clay since he was worried the guy had died. Anyway, Bon Clay says he'll go with Luffy to Level 5 since there's someone he wants to meet (Crocodile?).

No Mr 3 or Buggy this week. Nice looking chapter though.

Edit Somehow, I see Hancock as being the one to take out Magellan, not Luffy. Seems like a guy you want to be able to beat without touching directly - ie with weapons or long range attacks. Bit surprised that Hancock took the risk to tell Ace about Luffy.

With Magellan and co heading back to Level 4 it seems, I wonder how long until he and Luffy meet up. Could happen rather soon - since Bon Clay probably knows where the stairs down to Level 4 are.

Blackbeard D. Kuma 2009-02-04 12:37

This chapter reinforced and affirmed what I had said about Hancock's charms and petrification not working on the top-tier characters of the One Piece world. Crocodile, Ace, and Jimbei, all of whom are amongst the strongest fighters in the One Piece universe, were completely unaffected by Hancock's charms in this chapter. As I had suspected, it's not her charms that make her a formidable threat, it's most likely her "King's Haki".

Sazelyt 2009-02-04 13:17

Really, and what will we do about the vice admiral then, that had to cut himself to not get affected by her powers, even though he looked okay facing her? That is not even her devil fruit power. Can we please stop mistaking her charm with her devil fruit power?
Anyways, enough correction...

Bon-chan is most likely trying to meet with Crocodile. I wonder what he plans to tell Crocodile.

Blackbeard D. Kuma 2009-02-04 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fipskuul (Post 2198369)
Really, and what will we do about the vice admiral then, that had to cut himself to not get affected by her powers, even though he looked okay facing her? That is not even her devil fruit power. Can we please stop mistaking her charm with her devil fruit power?
Anyways, enough correction...

If you're trying to imply that Vice Admiral Momonga is on the same level as the shichibukai, then you are wrong. The Vice Admirals in general, with the exception of Garp and possibly Tsuru, are not in the same tier as the shichibukai. If they were, the power balance wouldn't make any sense. No one is mistaking her charm with her devil fruit power. The whole purpose of her charm is to catch her victims off guard so that she could captivate them with her beauty and then use her DF powers to petrify them in that state. You think that such a silly maneuver is going to work on the likes of the top-tier powers (i.e. Sengoku, Garp, the admirals, the shichibukai, the emperors, Dragon, Rayleigh, etc.) in the One Piece world? Yeah right. :rolleyes: Like I said before, this chapter proved that the top tiers would not be affected by her charms, and consequently her petrification as well. Vice Admiral Momonga is on a lower tier of power than the aforementioned individuals I listed, and so he was partially susceptible to Hancock's charms, which was why he had to stab himself in the hand.

Phenomenal 2009-02-04 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fipskuul (Post 2198369)
Anyways, enough correction....

Hancock's devil fruit power and her charms go hand in hand. Her charms is what catapults the devil fruit ability to work on her victims.
As it is written....

"Wicked hearts that desire me...
...harden into stone!
"Mero Mero"
"Mellow"!!! (Sweet Breeze)"

Sazelyt 2009-02-04 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma (Post 2198446)
If you're trying to imply that Vice Admiral Momonga is on the same level as the shichibukai, then you are wrong.

I am trying to imply that your examples are wrong. And, if someone you claim to be a weak one among the strong ones cannot even show his weakness towards Boa, how can you claim the worse for the stronger ones? In short, your suggestion does not make any sense.

Quote:

The whole purpose of her charm is to catch her victims off guard so that she could captivate them with her beauty and then use her DF powers to petrify them in that state. You think that such a silly maneuver is going to work on the likes of the top-tier powers (i.e. Sengoku, Garp, the admirals, the shichibukai, the emperors, Dragon, Rayleigh, etc.) in the One Piece world?
Off guard? You know Momonga wasn't off guard, and he had to injure his-f-self to not get affected by Boa's powers. That shows you may not be able to stand her powers normally. And, yeah, I do believe, silly powers like that can work on the stronger ones too. Oda created that silly power and gave it to a Shichibukai for a reason, a reason that does not include your dissatisfaction!

Quote:

Vice Admiral Momonga is on a lower tier of power than the aforementioned individuals I listed, and so he was partially susceptible to Hancock's charms, which was why he had to stab himself in the hand.
Yeah, yeah, lower tier! Kind of like how low tier Blackbeard was.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Phenomenol (Post 2198457)
Hancock's devil fruit power and her charms go hand in hand. Her charms is what catapults the devil fruit ability to work on her victims.

And, Luffy is "the only one" that wasn't affected by her. We are talking about a person who must have met guys that are above Luffy's level. And, yet, she was shocked. Why can't you accept the situation as an exception in the way it was meant to be, and get over it?

Blackbeard D. Kuma 2009-02-04 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fipskuul (Post 2198501)
I am trying to imply that your examples are wrong. And, if someone you claim to be a weak one among the strong ones cannot even show his weakness towards Boa, how can you claim the worse for the stronger ones? In short, your suggestion does not make any sense.

How are my examples wrong? This week's chapter has just proved what myself and Phenomenol have been saying is correct. Why are you having a hard time accepting this? And did I ever say that Momonga is weak? No. It's just that he is not quite as powerful as the elites, who are characters I have mentioned countless times already.

Quote:

Off guard? You know Momonga wasn't off guard, and he had to injure his-f-self to not get affected by Boa's powers. That shows you may not be able to stand her powers normally. And, yeah, I do believe, silly powers like that can work on the stronger ones too. Oda created that silly power and gave it to a Shichibukai for a reason, a reason that does not include your dissatisfaction!

Man, you need to learn how to read properly before snapping at someone. I never said Momonga was caught off guard. I simply said that Hancock uses her charms for the purpose of catching her victims off guard in order to petrify them. Momonga happened to have some impure thoughts of her at the time she was boasting her beauty, and so he had to stab himself to divert his attention from her beauty and avoid being petrified. This was a "mark of experience" on his part, as Boa noted. Only cannon fodder will be prone to her petrification. That is as far as her ability will go. As for you believing her powers would work on the top tiers, well, you're probably the only person that will think this and I'm not going to repeat my reasoning again as to why this would not be possible.

Quote:

Yeah, yeah, lower tier! Kind of like how low tier Blackbeard was.

This is sad. So now you're trying to take shots at me since I am a huge Blackbeard fan? What does this idiotic statement have to do with anything we're talking about? Besides that, what is the basis you have for such a statement?

Sazelyt 2009-02-04 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma (Post 2198544)
How are my examples wrong? This week's chapter has just proved what myself and Phenomenol have been saying is correct. Why are you having a hard time accepting this? And did I ever say that Momonga is weak? No. It's just that he is not quite as powerful as the elites, who are characters I have mentioned countless times already.

Let me explain again. Momonga, the weak vice admiral you mentioned, didn't show signs to get affected by Boa. And, you are telling me, just because Ace and others didn't show similar signs, they won't get affected either. Get real!

Quote:

Man, you need to learn how to read properly before snapping at someone. I never said Momonga was caught off guard. I simply said that Hancock uses her charms for the purpose of catching her victims off guard in order to petrify them. Momonga happened to have some impure thoughts of her at the time she was boasting her beauty, and so he had to stab himself to divert his attention from her beauty and avoid being petrified. This was a "mark of experience" on his part, as Boa noted. Only cannon fodder will be prone to her petrification. That is as far as her ability will go. As for you believing her powers would work on the top tiers, well, you're probably the only person that will think this and I'm not going to repeat my reasoning again as to why this would not be possible.
This is like getting advice from Bush on how to make a peace. Anyways...As I said before, if Boa has the power to draw the inner emotions from someone, it doesn't matter who that person is, or how strong he is, he may get affected by Boa's powers. And, the inpurity you had mentioned is not something anyone can control. So, again, it doesn't matter whether the person is strong or not. Those kind of things are not something you really have control. And, I am grateful to you for not repeating your reasoning, saves me from the trouble of...

Quote:

What does this idiotic statement have to do with anything we're talking about? Besides that, what is the basis you have for such a statement?
Oh, that just shows how I feel about your words, writing, thinking, etc; feelings that can be expressed using your initial words above. Capiche?

Blackbeard D. Kuma 2009-02-04 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fipskuul (Post 2198565)
Let me explain again. Momonga, the weak vice admiral you mentioned, didn't show signs to get affected by Boa. And, you are telling me, just because Ace and others didn't show similar signs, they won't get affected either. Get real!

I am now entirely convinced that you don't know how to read properly, and thus I don't feel the need to reply to the above quote.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fipskuul (Post 2198565)
Anyways...As I said before, if Boa has the power to draw the inner emotions from someone, it doesn't matter who that person is, or how strong he is, he may get affected by Boa's powers. And, the inpurity you had mentioned is not something anyone can control. So, again, it doesn't matter whether the person is strong or not. Those kind of things are not something you really have control. And, I am grateful to you for not repeating your reasoning, saves me from the trouble of...

The key word you wrote down here is "may", meaning not for certain or that there is a possibility. I am going to give you one example on why your logic fails so hard. Let's look at Doflamingo from the shichibukai, who supposedly has the ability to control people's bodies like puppets. Mind you that so far, he has only done this technique on weaklings (i.e. marine officers at Mariejoia and Sarquiss). Sounds really similar to another shichibukai doesn't it? *cough*Hancock*cough* Do you mean to tell me that he would be able to affect anyone with this technique, rendering the victim absolutely helpless and at his mercy? Just think about that for a second. If he was this godlike he would be able to take out Whitebeard with ease. As a matter of fact, no one would be able to stop him. The point that I am trying to get at is that there are limits around such broken techniques, and thus there are always ways to circumvent them. Cannon fodder will always fall prey to such broken abilities, just to make the said character look really powerful. But for such techniques to work on the elites? I don't think so. Hopefully now you understand why it is so ridiculous for Hancock to be able to charm and petrify her fellow elites.

Ryuuchi 2009-02-04 16:34

In my opinion, Hancock's power is to petrify people that lust over her, if you see it clearly she only uses her power when people are drooling over her, this is why it didn’t work on Momonga cause he stabbed himself so he would focus on the pain and not Hancock. It didn’t work on Luffy because Luffy never showed and will never show interest in love and such, typical blockhead but it’s true, even Zoro who is a badass as blushed at least once in the series but Luffy is the only one that never really showed such interest, he only cares about adventures, Nakama and One Piece, and the title that comes along with it…and his hat of course. Now with this said we can see that anyone can be affected by Hancock’s power, ANYONE even Whitebeard and Shanks and blah blah blah, BUT the problem is that from a certain level of power one has more control over himself, and also there are other people like Luffy only with different goals, so Whitebeard who would probably not even give a second look at Hancock would not be affected…Shanks is debatable cause he’s a normal GUY xD but his Haki would certainly take care of the job before she could do anything.

And yes, I do believe Hancock is not famous and has her status just because of her charm and powers xD she surely has more fighting capability then most, King’s Haki also comes into play on this matter.

Phenomenal 2009-02-04 16:43

Quote:

And, Luffy is "the only one" that wasn't affected by her. We are talking about a person who must have met guys that are above Luffy's level. And, yet, she was shocked. Why can't you accept the situation as an exception in the way it was meant to be, and get over it?

How do you know Boa met people like Mihawk, Blackbeard, Shanks, Whitebeard, Doflamingo, Aokiji, ect? Seriously, you are assuming that Boa's powers would work on guys much GREATER than Luffy [It didn't even work on Jinbei or Ace in this spoiler], when her charms failed against Luffy?

I think not.

Sazelyt 2009-02-04 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Phenomenol (Post 2198660)
How do you know Boa met people like Mihawk, Blackbeard, Shanks, Whitebeard, Doflamingo, Aokiji, ect? Seriously, you are assuming that Boa's powers would work on guys much GREATER than Luffy [It didn't even work on Jinbei or Ace in this spoiler, Obviously beings much greater than herself], when her charms failed against Luffy?

I think not.

I am open to any possibility. You are assuming that her powers wouldn't work on them, even though you have no information to support that. And, I am saying, we have seen that currently only Luffy is an exception, despite the fact that she must have met with stronger guys (as a Shichibukai, they gather from time to time, so, there might have been a time for her to attend at least one of those too). And until we get to see another person not being affected by her powers, isn't it better to just assume what we had seen so far?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma (Post 2198602)
I am now entirely convinced that you don't know how to read properly, and thus I don't feel the need to reply to the above quote.

Feel free to not reply to any of the quotes. Cause, if I don't know how to read properly, there is no guarantee I will do so for any of your other quotes. And that would mean, if you want to stick to some truth for yourself, do it so for everything, otherwise your claims become highly flexible, not even worth the time to check for any kind of validity.

TooPurePureBoy 2009-02-04 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fipskuul (Post 2198676)
Stuff.

Dude what are you even talking about? Unless you got some past history with these other posters you are coming off a little hot headed here. Not trying to insult you by any means, but I've seen no provocation by Blackbeard D. Kuma that deserved such a tone.

Look at me auditioning to be a mod.....:eyespin:

I'll shut up now and go back to lurking.

Phenomenal 2009-02-04 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fipskuul (Post 2198676)
I am open to any possibility. You are assuming that her powers wouldn't work on them, even though you have no information to support that. And, I am saying, we have seen that currently only Luffy is an exception, despite the fact that she must have met with stronger guys (as a Shichibukai, they gather from time to time, so, there might have been a time for her to attend at least one of those too). And until we get to see another person not being affected by her powers, isn't it better to just assume what we had seen so far?

The fact is, Luffy wasn't affected at all by Hancock's powers, you assume her silly charms would work on incredible people much greater than Luffy [And herself]? Not too mention we just seen Jinbei and Ace not affected by her charms when she exposed her self to the entire prisoners of level five. Everyone was chanting Hancock but Jinbei and Ace. Isn't that some indication for you?

marvelB 2009-02-04 17:43

So.... anyway, awesome-sounding chapter, though the lack of Buggy and Mr. 3 is a little disappointing. It's still great to see Luffy and Bon-chan team up, though. Rather mean of him to tease Luffy (and the fans) by transforming into Zoro. :p While it's most obvious to assume that the guy he wants to meet at level 5 is Crocodile, there's still a slight chance that he may not necessarily be the one. And if it isn't, then who does Bon Clay want to meet? Hmmm.....

Anyway, from a translation I read, we still didn't get confirmation that Ace/Jinbei/Croc were being held in level 5 (it still said "Ace's level"), so again, Magellan most likely took Hancock down to level 6+. Heh, Magellan's poison dragon is awesome.... though, judging from the pics, it certainly would make one think that he's a Logia-type user (I still doubt it, though). I wonder what Ace and Jinbei will do now that they know that Luffy's in the prison? Considering that he wanted Garp to kill him earlier, Ace may not be willing to bust out of prison with his little bro.....

Oh, and as far as that guard chick goes (Sadi, I believe her name was?), I figure that she's most likely one of the guardians of level 4. Heh, I wonder who will take her on? I guess some people will guess Hancock (if she's willing to fight, that is), but I think I'd rather see Bon Clay fight her instead (since he's essentially a "woman" anyhow). For right now though, there's still Saldeath to deal with......

Sazelyt 2009-02-04 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Phenomenol (Post 2198716)
The fact is, Luffy wasn't affected at all by Hancock's powers, you assume her silly charms would work on incredible people much greater than Luffy [And herself]? Not too mention we just seen Jinbei and Ace not affected by her charms when she exposed her self to the entire prisoners of level five. Everyone was chanting Hancock but Jinbei and Ace. Isn't that some indication for you?

The simplest answer to your first question is I don't know. I gave you the example of a vice admiral, who is supposedly strong, not affected by her charm (no shouting, or hearts popping out of his eyes), but still affected by her devil fruit ability. Right now, Boa with seastone handcuffs on her cannot use her devil fruit ability, so going with the vice-admiral example in front of us, it would be okay to assume a similar scenario for others too.

Also, Luffy is presented as an exception, which is easy to deduce from Boa's expressions. And, I strongly believe, Boa's many years of experience, as a Shichibukai, should tell us something. Since as a Shichibukai, she would have met people a lot stronger than Luffy. And, yet, she was shocked to see her powers not affecting Luffy. If she had an experience of that, she would have shown a much calmer expression, and immediately switch to another technique, instead of shooting heart bullets over and over again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy (Post 2198711)
Dude what are you even talking about? Unless you got some past history with these other posters you are coming off a little hot headed here. Not trying to insult you by any means, but I've seen no provocation by Blackbeard D. Kuma that deserved such a tone.

I am here long enough (probably only a few months less than your presence in this forum) to know about many posters posting here and a few other forums. And, believe me, I could have written even harsher, and it wouldn't still be unjustified. Anyways, if you have something to add, why don't you contribute in a meaningful way?

Blackbeard D. Kuma 2009-02-04 18:30

I apologize in advance for asking this off-topic question. It is only to prove a point I am trying to make.

@Fipskuul - I'm going to ask you a really simple question. Who do you think would win in a fight, Whitebeard or Hancock? Please provide some brief reasoning for your answer.

james0246 2009-02-04 18:36

^Hancock of course :). Obviously he is susceptible to the young nubile flesh of an attractive woman (what with his fetish for hot nurses :naughty:), so he would be putty in Hancock's hands, especially if she dressed up as a nurse/doctor :).

j/k

Rainbowman 2009-02-04 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelB (Post 2198768)
So.... anyway, awesome-sounding chapter, though the lack of Buggy and Mr. 3 is a little disappointing. It's still great to see Luffy and Bon-chan team up, though. Rather mean of him to tease Luffy (and the fans) by transforming into Zoro. :p While it's most obvious to assume that the guy he wants to meet at level 5 is Crocodile, there's still a slight chance that he may not necessarily be the one. And if it isn't, then who does Bon Clay want to meet? Hmmm.....

Anyway, from a translation I read, we still didn't get confirmation that Ace/Jinbei/Croc were being held in level 5 (it still said "Ace's level"), so again, Magellan most likely took Hancock down to level 6+. Heh, Magellan's poison dragon is awesome.... though, judging from the pics, it certainly would make one think that he's a Logia-type user (I still doubt it, though). I wonder what Ace and Jinbei will do now that they know that Luffy's in the prison? Considering that he wanted Garp to kill him earlier, Ace may not be willing to bust out of prison with his little bro.....

Oh, and as far as that guard chick goes (Sadi, I believe her name was?), I figure that she's most likely one of the guardians of level 4. Heh, I wonder who will take her on? I guess some people will guess Hancock (if she's willing to fight, that is), but I think I'd rather see Bon Clay fight her instead (since he's essentially a "woman" anyhow). For right now though, there's still Saldeath to deal with......

Well at any rate, things better be picking up: Luffy using his gears on Sarudeath so he could get to level 4 and Bon Clay fighting Sadi (with Buggy and Mr. 3 as provided distractions) so Luffy could get to level 5. If level 6+ is important, it could be a place filled with corpses. At least that's what I think. :heh:< "I got nothing."

Cinocard 2009-02-04 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fipskuul (Post 2198807)
The simplest answer to your first question is I don't know. I gave you the example of a vice admiral, who is supposedly strong, not affected by her charm (no shouting, or hearts popping out of his eyes), but still affected by her devil fruit ability. Right now, Boa with seastone handcuffs on her cannot use her devil fruit ability, so going with the vice-admiral example in front of us, it would be okay to assume a similar scenario for others too.

Also, Luffy is presented as an exception, which is easy to deduce from Boa's expressions. And, I strongly believe, Boa's many years of experience, as a Shichibukai, should tell us something. Since as a Shichibukai, she would have met people a lot stronger than Luffy. And, yet, she was shocked to see her powers not affecting Luffy. If she had an experience of that, she would have shown a much calmer expression, and immediately switch to another technique, instead of shooting heart bullets over and over again.

True, a vice admiral is strong. But Hancock power depends a lot on opponents' desire. And for many strong characters that we are familiar with, the majority of them can be considered bad asses, and it's simply hard imagining them going crazy over Hancock.

And the fact is she's a late boomer in the Shichibukai. She fought once and was immediately granted the status. Not saying that she's weak, but she hadn't really fought before became a Shichibukai (can you give an example?), and after that the sea was practically quite "peaceful." She might have met strong person, with bounty worth hundreds of million or such, but not in a fight with big bosses like Hawk or Whitebeard, etc.

It's also very understandable that she was surprised when her charm didn't work on a no-name. She was surprised not because her power actually does not work in certain case, but because Luffy had a unexpectedly strong will. Will you be surprised seeing a 3 year old kid reading, when you've met countless literate people in your life?

marvelB 2009-02-04 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by james0246 (Post 2198847)
^Hancock of course :). Obviously he is susceptible to the young nubile flesh of an attractive woman (what with his fetish for hot nurses :naughty:), so he would be putty in Hancock's hands, especially if she dressed up as a nurse/doctor :).

j/k

That reminds me.... I always kinda had the thought that one of Whitebeard's nurses may be one of his 16 division commanders (y'know, like the head nurse or something). I just think it would be nice to see more asskicking women in the New World, you know? ;)

Anyways, back to the chapter: I wonder if the sphinx is down for the count? I was actually sorta hoping that he would join with Luffy's team and cause chaos in the lower levels, but if Luffy and Bon Clay teamed up to take him down.... then I guess that he'll be KO'ed until the end of the storyline. 'Twould be a shame if that happens, because I actually took a liking to the big brute......

james0246 2009-02-04 18:55

@Cinocard: Hancock has been functioning as a Shichibukai for probably about a decade (her history as a Pirate has dated back at least 11 years, and she presumably became a Shichibukai not long after she became a notorious Pirate). So, in her decade of power, she has had ample opportunity to meet up with the crème de la crème of the One Piece universe. While I doubt she has ever fought someone like Whitebeard (though it is tough to say one way or another...even Moria fought Kaidou once upon a time), she has undoubtedly fought extremely high level opponents.

That being said, it is far more likely that her true power is her currently unknown Haki powers. The Mero Mero fruit was given to her by the Tenryubito so that she would be more entertaining (i.e. provide entertainment to the Tenryubito), and I doubt the Mero Mero abilities were meant to be a truly offensive ability. So, I doubt that her DF would work against similar level opponents (similar level to her, considering that she is one of the Big Dogs).

Blackbeard D. Kuma 2009-02-04 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinocard (Post 2198869)
It's also very understandable that she was surprised when her charm didn't work on a no-name. She was surprised not because her power actually does not work in certain case, but because Luffy had a unexpectedly strong will. Will you be surprised seeing a 3 year old kid reading, when you've met countless literate people in your life?

Exactly. It is very similar to the situation when Mihawk fought Zoro. We know that Mihawk has encountered opponents a lot stronger and more dangerous than Zoro (whom he considered a weakling at the time) prior to their confrontation, and yet he was amazed by how strong his will was.

Quote:

Originally Posted by james0246 (Post 2198882)
That being said, it is far more likely that her true power is her currently unknown Haki powers. The Mero Mero fruit was given to her by the Tenryubito so that she would be more entertaining, and I doubt the Mero Mero abilities were meant to be a truly offensive ability. So, I doubt that her DF would work against similar level opponents (similar level to her, considering that she is one of the Big Dogs).

Thank you and very well said. Finally someone else advocates what I've been suggesting this whole time.

Sazelyt 2009-02-04 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma (Post 2198838)
I apologize in advance for asking this off-topic question. It is only to prove a point I am trying to make.

@Fipskuul - I'm going to ask you a really simple question. Who do you think would win in a fight, Whitebeard or Hancock? Please provide some brief reasoning for your answer.

I hope that this is not the best you can come up with to make a point, since it has no relationship to what is being discussed. What you are saying is actually this: since Whitebeard is the strongest man alive, Mihawk's sword cannot cut him (notice the difference between cutting and beating/killing).

Blackbeard D. Kuma 2009-02-04 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fipskuul (Post 2198895)
I hope that this is not the best you can come up with to make a point, since it has no relationship to what is being discussed. What you are saying is actually this: since Whitebeard is the strongest man alive, Mihawk's sword cannot cut him (notice the difference between cutting and beating/killing).

Oh but it does have a relation to what we're discussing. How about you answer the question instead of dodging it? Is that the best you can do? And I don't know how in the hell you deduced I was saying your statement proceeding the colon. That is not what I'm saying at all and you're just trying to put words in my mouth. What are you talking about? So, are you going to answer my question or not? If you don't answer my question you are basically conceding that you have been wrong this whole time and that you've lost the argument.

Sazelyt 2009-02-04 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma (Post 2198908)
Oh but it does have a relation to what we're discussing. How about you answer the question instead of dodging it? Is that the best you can do? And I don't know how in the hell you deduced I was saying your statement proceeding the colon. That is not what I'm saying at all and you're just trying to put words in my mouth. What are you talking about? So, are you going to answer my question or not? If you don't answer my question you are basically conceding that you have been wrong this whole time and that you've lost the argument.

Ha ha ha. I have seen many people stooping to a low level, but, that may be one of lowest I had seen so far. Yellowflash would have been proud with you. If you don't know who that is, ask the elders of the forum. And since I do not want to get a warning trying to push things through your head, I have just transferred you to the ignore mechanism. Good luck trying to get out of that.

Bari_Phillis 2009-02-04 19:28

being sick sucks.....

The warden's power looks sick. A poison dragon/ hydra? that is badass.

The sphinx gets taken out by Mr/ Bonclay disguised as zoro. Taking an idea from another forum- mr. bonclay could quite possibly impersonate the strawhat crew making it look like all of them are there... this would add a small twist.

"Sadi"- the sadist- has the devil motif on her.

the chapter ends with mr. 2 and luffy looking very optimistic.

Freya 2009-02-04 19:28

@marvelB

I'm surprised you're so into Level 6. So because there wasn't any confirmation on them going to level 5 makes them going to level 6? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Since it wasn't confirmed theres even a level 6 in the first place.

And the sphinx gets taken out?! :[

Blackbeard D. Kuma 2009-02-04 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fipskuul (Post 2198926)
Ha ha ha. I have seen many people stooping to a low level, but, that may be one of lowest I had seen so far. Yellowflash would have been proud with you. If you don't know who that is, ask the elders of the forum. And since I do not want to get a warning trying to push things through your head, I have just transferred you to the ignore mechanism. Good luck trying to get out of that.

Your idle threats don't intimidate me in the least. I haven't done anything wrong and everyone here knows it. Hmm.....maybe I should report you to the moderator and tell him that you are not contributing to this thread and that you like to put words into other people's mouths? You think I'm scared you transferred me to the ignore mechanism? Please. I have had good discussions with many members on this forum, and you are the first to have really gotten on my nerves. Congratulations. I assure you that I won't be getting into any trouble, and the moderator himself knows that I am a good poster and that I treat everyone with equal respect, something you don't do. So yeah. If you're looking to start trouble with me, it will be to no avail. Good day sir.

marvelB 2009-02-04 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freya (Post 2198942)
@marvelB

I'm surprised you're so into Level 6. So because there wasn't any confirmation on them going to level 5 makes them going to level 6? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Since it wasn't confirmed theres even a level 6 in the first place.

If Ace were in level 5, we would've been told so right from the get-go. Why would Oda keep Ace's location a mystery otherwise? I can only assume that he's being held in level 6+. To be extra-sure I checked the Japanese script for further confirmation. Sure enough, it also says that Hancock went to "Ace's floor". I'm not saying without a shadow of a doubt that Ace isn't being held in level 5, but as things are going, it looks like the signs are pointing towards him being held in a deeper level......

Cinocard 2009-02-04 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freya (Post 2198942)
So because there wasn't any confirmation on them going to level 5 makes them going to level 6? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Since it wasn't confirmed theres even a level 6 in the first place.

And the sphinx gets taken out?! :[

Wasn't it drawn that there were a building at the bottom? I know it wasn't written there, but that's pretty logical guess. To be honest though, i wish there's no level 6, just rescue Ace fast and get to the big stuff.

But, no, level 6+ is too overboard, no matter how you look at it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bari_Phillis (Post 2198941)
"Sadi"- the sadist- has the devil motif on her.

the chapter ends with mr. 2 and luffy looking very optimistic.

Is that an official word play on her name now? :heh: And since when have those two not be optimistic :heh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by james0246 (Post 2198882)
@Cinocard: Hancock has been functioning as a Shichibukai for probably about a decade (her history as a Pirate has dated back at least 11 years, and she presumably became a Shichibukai not long after she became a notorious Pirate). So, in her decade of power, she has had ample opportunity to meet up with the crème de la crème of the One Piece universe. While I doubt she has ever fought someone like Whitebeard (though it is tough to say one way or another...even Moria fought Kaidou once upon a time), she has undoubtedly fought extremely high level opponents.

I know she's been a Shichibukai for more than a decade, but essentially nothing happened back then, and all she did was just going around robbing small fries. I don't think she has much experience fighting people stronger than...say, Zoro. Of course all are guesses.

james0246 2009-02-04 20:03

^Well Dragon did pop up in the past decade or therebouts (we know that he became a threat 5-6 years ago). Added to that, the age of pirates (the current age) has been considered a fairly violent age (considering that Gold Roger's proclamation caused a massive rise in the number of Pirates). So it is not like she has been living in peaceful times.

TooPurePureBoy 2009-02-04 20:16

Quote:

Anyways, if you have something to add, why don't you contribute in a meaningful way?
If I had something to add I would have.

By meaningful do you mean me making snarky comments at people who disagree with my overly semantic stances on the abilities of characters? Na. Like I said I prefer to lurk.

On to the actual story.

Quote:

I like the current pace of the arc, so I'm kinda hoping that it won't turn into everyone gets there 1v1 fights. I'm enjoying this, but I do want Luffy to join back with the rest of the Strawhats sometime during this calendar year.

That said I would love to see Hancock fighting anyone....more screen time for Boa is a plus no matter what it is. :kisskiss:

Freya 2009-02-04 20:24

I wonder what Dragon is thinking after Luffy breaks out Ace.

Dragon: Man I got some awesome sons.

holypanl 2009-02-04 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma
What does this idiotic statement have to do with anything we're talking about? Besides that, what is the basis you have for such a statement?

Not involving myself, but yea: honestly when he pulled the Blackbeard one I was at a loss myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelB (Post 2198881)
That reminds me.... I always kinda had the thought that one of Whitebeard's nurses may be one of his 16 division commanders (y'know, like the head nurse or something). I just think it would be nice to see more asskicking women in the New World, you know? ;)

Whoa! Nice thought! One of the nurses being a Division commander doesn''t sound bad at all. In fact, what if the Nurses also double up as some seriously super-strong Haki-proficient bodyguards? They're always around him. Good idea.

Anway: Hello again, everyone, And my own thoughts on the Boa Mero Mero thing: the power was derived from the gorgon Medusa of myth, so it petrifies people. But it would be overpowered if people got petrified no matter what, as long as she targeted them, or they looked at her, or anything like that, so Oda, in his wisdom, decided to validate its effectiveness based on the target's arousal.

That way she doesn't go around petrifying Whitebeard, Shanks, Mihawk, and Sengoku whenever PMS grips her. If her power were absolute, unconditional petrification, then there would be a severe plothole that no amount of Hype on Whitebeard etc could solve.

End of story. So it means that: Desire + Boa targeting you = Petrification.
But Obliviousness + Boa targeting you = Nullification.

It really isn't that hard to understand. I don't really think much on the whole theory of her using her Haki to enhance her appeal, since I never saw any canon evidence to support it, but it stands to reason, so she may be doing that as well. So then it works out more like Boa trying to ensure that everyone she comes across WILL be attracted to her, so that way she can petrify anyone; Including heterosexual women, lol :p:D.

It's not rocket science, lol. ...God people.

Sazelyt 2009-02-04 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy (Post 2199009)
If I had something to add I would have.

By meaningful do you mean me making snarky comments at people who disagree with my overly semantic stances on the abilities of characters? Na. Like I said I prefer to lurk.

No. I was referring to "if you agree or disagree with the discussed ideas related to the story, then give your reasonings". Though, you already mentioned that you have nothing to add, so no need to force that on you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by holypanl (Post 2199033)
Not involving myself, but yea: honestly when he pulled the Blackbeard one I was at a loss myself.

Why? Is it too difficult to say that Blackbeard who was considered as nothing by most other characters in the story happened to be one of the strongest ones. To your misunderstanding: just because someone is using a character's name as his forum id, I have no intention to check my every sentence involving that character to see whether it offends someone or not. And I won't put the blame on Boa and her powers too.

Blackbeard D. Kuma 2009-02-04 22:03

Here is an awesome trailer for the upcoming One Piece Unlimited Cruise Episode 2 game for the Nintendo Wii. I decided to post this here since it has spoilers for people who only watch the anime. Credit goes to a user by the name of Cyborg009 at Arlong Park forums who was kind enough to share this video with the One Piece community upon his discovery. Thank you Cyborg009 and enjoy everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Kkk...eature=channel

Kizaru's voice is freaking awesome and he sounds exactly like what I, and many others for that matter, imagined him sounding like.

Bari_Phillis 2009-02-04 23:02

^ looks pretty darn awesome. and I've been reading the past posts... what the hell is flipskul's argument anymore? I'm not sure.....

whatever. maybe another one will bite the dust... I remember having an argument with another poster once, i believe he got banned. Hope it doesn't happen again... eh.

So if you ask me, I really oppose the 1 vs. 1 idea as well. It doesn't look like the really short guy got much screen time. I hope the rest of the people won't either.

A person I DO want to see is that minotaur. I want luffy to just kick his ass.

As for the poison warden... even though he looks badass, I don't want him to be a really good fighter. What I really want to see is him get massacred and the vice-warden take control. (:D would be great!)

Sazelyt 2009-02-04 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bari_Phillis (Post 2199229)
what the hell is flipskul's argument anymore? I'm not sure.....

I guess, the previous 357 posts in this thread made my points impossible to track. Let me summarize those 18 pages worth of posts, without going through hell pain:

"Not being able to see Boa's charm working on Ace and others cannot be used as a means to say, her devil fruit powers won't affect them (example the vice admiral who didn't show signs of getting affected by her charm, until she used her devil fruit powers). "

"Her powers not working on Luffy cannot be used as a proof to say anyone stronger than Luffy would not be affected by her powers too (example Boa's shock)."

"Just because her devil fruit power may look silly does not mean her devil fruit power is weak enough to not let her elected as a Shichibukai. (example the likelihood of Robin getting selected as a Shichibukai, if she had wanted)"

I don't know if there are others pushed to a corner. But, for now, if you have anything to say to those arguments, please be my guest.

Spoiler for OT: