AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Suggestions wanted, favorites included (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=13539)

bleegh 2004-05-12 11:23

Suggestions wanted, favorites included

I haven't had the chance to look through the new titles coming out, so instead of scouring the net for info on each one, I though it'd be easier just to get some recommendations. While I'm at it, any suggestions, including older anime, licensed or not, would be welcome as well. =)

Some of the anime I've really enjoyed, just to get an idea of what I'd be interested in:

Evangelion
Kodomo No Omocha
Cowboy Bebop
GTO
HnG
Kare Kano
Berserk
Boys Be
FLCL
Full Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Panic + Fumoffu
Juuni Kokki
KGNE
ROD TV + OAV
Saikano
Scrapped Princess
X TV
Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai

And anime I watch when I wanna relax:
Inuyasha
Ranma

Arwyn 2004-05-12 11:43

Good mix of stuff, so I will throw up some other titles that come to mind.

Fansubbed;
Peacemaker Kurogane- historical action/comedy set in the early Meiji period. Good looking art, interesting characters, pretty decent plot.

Da Capo- high school romance with subtle magical influence to it. Very nicely done, starts very funny and gets increasingly serious/dramatic.

Kenran Butoh Sai- sci fi/action/mecha, newer series still being relased. Series started a little predictably, but the storyline is coming along and starting to pick up, and the characters are starting to develop. Not a must have, but a good solid series and fairly light so far.

Gantz- sci fi/action, dark, new series, still releasing, lots of angst and very x-files like plot. Your really not to certain whats going on, but its pretty interesting so far.

Monster- psychological mystery/horror, bases on a popular and well done manga. Series is just starting to relase, but its pretty deep.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime- action/horror/vampires, very very cool show, looks great, very well done characters, excellent music. If you havent seen this, you should.

PlanetES- near future realistic sci fi. A really good show, not very action heavy, more slice of life type, but it really carries on the strength of the storyline and some very good character development.

Liscensed;
RaXephon- mecha/action/romance/drama, it gets compared to Eva a lot, but I personally found it a better show. Very nice art, good characters, good plot.

Last Exile- action/alternate world. Last Exile has got some of the most gorgeous animation you can see right now. Plot is decent but not spectacular, ditto with the characters, but the show is put together in a pretty spectactular complete package.

bleegh 2004-05-12 12:05

Peacemaker Kurogane- started this, went nowhere for the first ~8 episodes, so i stopped

Da Capo- will check this out

Kenran Butoh Sai- will check this out when bored ><

Gantz- don't think i'll touch this

Monster- I've been watching this =)

Shingetsutan Tsukihime- This one's been sitting on my hard drive for awhile... I think I'll be watching this one next.

PlanetES- could you give me some more info on this one? A comparison to a similar title, or a genre other than sci-fi would help.

RaXephon- yes, i enjoyed this =)

Last Exile- I've been wanting to see this for awhile, but haven't found it anywhere.

Thank you for the suggestions. I've found my new drug (tsukihime) :)

Arwyn 2004-05-12 15:02

PlanetES isnt really like anything else out there. I has comedic moments, but for the most part its a serious "slice of Life" set in near earth orbit.

The story revolves around Hachimaki, the main character and follows him and his coworkers in the debris collection section of a large company. The series then follows him through over time, and how the decisions he makes effect his life and those around him.

It isnt action packed, or very exciting, but the story is solid and interesting. If Peacemaker Kurogane bored you, PlanetES might not be a good choice. It does take a while for things to develop in this series as well.

Mcdonalds 2004-05-12 15:56

Still go for planetes, PMK bored me to be honest, but i found planetes a lot more interesting, so maybe it will be for you or maybe it won'

Gunslinger Girl - Don't let the name put you off! action/humanistic values/dark.

Midori no hibi - although i agree the manga is better, the anime is still good too romance/comedy, if you don't enjoy the first 2 eps then this isn't for you

Condor hero - romantic/action (although v poor action due to poor animation). solid storyline

7thMethuselah 2004-05-12 17:04

Some decent series

Licensed

Love Hina : ecchi comedy romance : a great harem style anime

Inu yasha : medieval fantasy anime about a group of humans and the hanyou( half demon) Inu Yasha in search for a powerfull artifact

Rurouni Kenshin : Samurai stuff, very good!

Ah! My Goddess : romance magic about some goddesses that come life on earth with a regular university student cute and funny

Stellvia of the Universe : feel good scifi with a very positive attitude vs humanity. About humans working together to improve theirselves and save earth from an imminent disaster, VERY GOOD

Unlicensed

Gilgamesh : end-of-the-world anime with a great story: don't let the art scare you off and remember the story starts off a little slow but it is very good

Yumeria : best ecchi - comedy stuff imo on animesuki, see one episoe and you're lost :heh:

Planetes : like the above posters said a very good anime: it is a very realistic series about space exploration and development in the late 21st century

Naruto : yes I'm a fanboy and you should become one too :)

bleegh 2004-05-14 05:34

OMG ><

Last night, 12:30 AM, I told myself "I think I'll just watch the first ep of tsukihime before I go to sleep, just to see if it's worth watching."

~8 hours later, after watching all 12 eps and reading that incredibly long (28 pages) thread on tsukihime, I was pretty much burnt out... but a very happy burnt out =)

Thanks for introing me to a great series :)

I've checked out the first ep of yumeria, and I'll give it one more episode, but I don't think I'll be watching this one. Too random(not in a good way), and I'm not really a fan of harem anime, which this one seems like it's going to become.

I was interested in Da Capo, but I googled a few reviews, and it doesn't look too promising. Gonna watch a few eps tho, before deciding.

Still gonna check out PlanetES.

I've read snoopy's Midori no Hibi manga, and I don't really like the the anime adaptation :(

Methuselah, I've seen Love Hina, Inuyasha, Kenshin, Goddess, and Naruto. I will check out Stellvia though. Gilgamesh, I'm not too sure about. I watched the first 2 eps of it, and was pretty "meh" about it. Will try it out for a bit more.

TronDD 2004-05-14 06:30

Careful with Da Capo. The mood changes half way through. It starts out leaning towards comedy in the first half, then changes to more of the romance/drama in the second half. You liked KGNE and SaiKano so you'll probably like the second half of Da Capo.

It is based on a dating sim so I guess it's kind of "harem-ish", though. One guy and about 6 girls inexplicably in love with him.

Arwyn 2004-05-14 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleegh
OMG ><

Last night, 12:30 AM, I told myself "I think I'll just watch the first ep of tsukihime before I go to sleep, just to see if it's worth watching."

~8 hours later, after watching all 12 eps and reading that incredibly long (28 pages) thread on tsukihime, I was pretty much burnt out... but a very happy burnt out =)

Thanks for introing me to a great series :)

Glad to help! Tuskihime is still my favorite series it have come across this year, and I try to recommend it whenever I can. :)