AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   (L) Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=12194)

Arwyn 2004-04-22 12:07

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

I finally got around to picking this one up, and boy did it surprise me.

I watched and own the original Vampire Hunter D, and thought it was so-so. I honestly expected Bloodlust to be more of the same, and I was pleasantly surprised to find I was very wrong.

Stylistically, the animation and art was similar, but Bloodlust was much better done. While the characters certainly show their source, they were very well done, and the backgrounds were fantastic. Several scenes, including the sand mantas, were really distinctive.

I even like the dubbing on it, and im usually pretty picky about that.

All in all, I was very pleased with it, and I wish I had picked it up sooner, it really was much better than the original.

Anyone else have the same impression?

Repulse 2004-04-22 14:13

I liked the original vampire hunter d's story better, this one seemed alittle rehashed, but the animation was much better, of course given the difference in age it's not unexpected. One thing that I did like about bloodlust is that it wasn't cheapened by a useless breast shot like the original was. one thing to keep in mind about bloodlust though is that it's not dubbed from a japanese voice track, it was actually animated to fit an english dialogue, so the voices are much better than what you'll find in many anime dubs.

Patapi 2004-04-22 19:51

I don't know I really like Bloodlust alot more. I don't find it to really be a rehash of the old story. I was happy to see that the main female character was not all whiney and all likr "take me D I want you" That really ruined the first one for me. I hated the main female character.

Arwyn 2004-04-23 09:19

I thought all the characters were pretty well done. I also really enjoyed the ending on Bloodlust, nice way of following through the statements made earlier in the film.

husyk 2004-04-25 22:40

I haven't seen the first one, but I liked Bloodlust very much. I especially like the fact of how the parasite lives in him, brings more humor into it.

Kyuven 2004-04-26 00:26

the candle scene in bloodlust i heard took more than a year to make
it had a lot of similar effects to the "X" movie, but the execution of the story was so much better (even if the story was a little cut-and-dry at first and contrived later on)

Arwyn 2004-04-27 14:59

I was really impressed with the work that went into the background settings compared to the original.

The aqueduct garden especially was very nicely done, downright pretty even. :)

I agree the ending was a bit staged, but was still well done. It did stay consistant to the characters, and the grandaughter was a nice touch.

kujoe 2004-04-28 08:10

Just a question. Does Bloodlust take place after the story of the original? Because for some reason, the grandaughter reminds me of the main female character of the first movie.

I know it's weird, but that's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw her face. Hmmm. I guess have to check the original just to see if I'm not imagining things.

Arwyn 2004-04-28 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by kujoe
Just a question. Does Bloodlust take place after the story of the original? Because for some reason, the grandaughter reminds me of the main female character of the first movie.

I know it's weird, but that's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw her face. Hmmm. I guess have to check the original just to see if I'm not imagining things.

My understanding is that is far after the original. I agree with you though, the grandaughter did remeind me of female lead from the original.

kujoe 2004-04-28 14:02

Ah ok. Thanks. I thought I was watching a prequel or something like that.