AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Looking for a decent anime with a Yamato Nadeshiko lead (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=125981)

IceHism 2014-05-05 02:05

Looking for a decent anime with a Yamato Nadeshiko lead

I'm looking for some animes with a Yamato Nadeshiko heroine and i don't mean the floormat girls who are absolutely useless and can't do anything but Yamato Nadeshikos that are generally able to hold their own weight. I think what separates them is that Yamato Nadeshikos have strong nerves, willpower, intelligence, and other badass traits while still being very feminine (so someone who is tsundere or hot-headed wouldn't fit the bill unless someone important to them was harmed or something)

Also, they don't necessarily have to be a yamato nadeshiko / princess character on the inside. As long as they look and act like it from the outside, it's fine. Their inside personality can be anything: sadistic, cruel, fun, joking, stoic, etc. I actually kind of like it when people use different aspects of their personality for public and private use.

Examples:
Gundam Seed (Lacus)
Attack on Titan (Mikasa)
Sword Art Online (Asuna, Aincrad arc at least)
Mahouka (Miyuki)

Anime doesn't necessarily need action but that would be awesome if it did. Politics is fine as well. No comedy though. Any other genre is fine
I'm using Yamato Nadeshiko because asian culture is far more interesting to me than western culture at least in anime so i hope that is where the anime draws from more.

Flower 2014-05-05 02:44

Hmm - the classic examples I can think of for a nadeshiko in anime that comes immediately to mind is Aoi Sakuraba from Ai Yori Aoshi and Belldandy from Ah, my Goddess. Both have comedic elements in the series, though, so they may not be your cup of tea.

You might take a look at this thread as well... http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=112967

For me to have a nadeshiko externally and not internally just does not work - what makes the nadeshiko is their disposition of soul and entire orientation of being. This does not mean they are necessarily weak or frail - Belldandy, for example, is anything but this - but it does not allow for things like being sadistic or cruel. Stoic, or fun, or gentle, etc. might "fit".... Still, that's just my own opinion. ^^

IceHism 2014-05-05 03:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flower (Post 5110063)
Hmm - the classic examples I can think of for a nadeshiko in anime that comes immediately to mind is Aoi Sakuraba from Ai Yori Aoshi and Belldandy from Ah, my Goddess. Both have comedic elements in the series, though, so they may not be your cup of tea.

You might take a look at this thread as well... http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=112967

For me to have a nadeshiko externally and not internally just does not work - what makes the nadeshiko is their disposition of soul and entire orientation of being. This does not mean they are necessarily weak or frail - Belldandy, for example, is anything but this - but it does not allow for things like being sadistic or cruel. Stoic, or fun, or gentle, etc. might "fit".... Still, that's just my own opinion. ^^

Hmm, after reading that thread, i question whether my definition of a yamato nadeshiko is even a right one... though i'm not exactly sure as most discussion in that was focused on Kuudere characters who i do like but not what i'm looking for at the moment. And where is the true difference between an ojou-sama character and a Yamato Nadeshiko? They both seem to have extremely similar traits.

There also seems to be discussion on old time yamato nadeshikos vs more modern types of yamato nadeshikos. I guess i should mention that i'm obviously a fan of a more modern type of Yamato Nadeshiko / Ojou-sama character where i don't really count domestic work as being a defining trait of a YN but it is appreciated. I suppose i am looking for that hint of perfection that is given to a character? While the characters i used for examples are all proficient in housework, they are all strong or even exceedingly superlative in certain aspects like combat, or being a strategist / politican while still having a calm and elegant demeanor with an undying loyalty to their love.

Regarding the character of someone being Yamato Nadeshiko on the outside but not on the inside. While i'm fine with a more straightforward use of the Yamato Nadeshiko trope where the character is both internally and externally a YN, i'm also interested in characters that use a facade of a Yamato Nadeshiko in that they are well mannered, intelligent, elegant, gentle, and strong willed in public but can change up their attitudes completely when in private or other important situations. This is more like me also saying that i'm looking for these kinds of characters as well. It's simply a way for me to expand the type of anime suggestions i am looking for.

Tenzen12 2014-05-05 03:45

Tokyo Majin
Majestic Prince
Hack Sign
Hataraku Maou-sama - If you don't mind YN being guy lol.
Kurenai
Utawarerumono
Wagaya no Oinari-sama - Ko has perfect mentality of YN and good fighting skills, but her domestic ability doesn't match her effort.
Sekirei -It's bit a generic harem, but manga was quite fun.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flower (Post 5110063)

Well in relation of Yamato Nadeshiko is often used phrase Silk hidding steel, and proper wife of Samurais were expected be able protect their home in husband absence (actualy I don't think bit of sadism or cruelity can hurt on this point), but be supportive and obedient in their presence. Ojou can be spoiled and flashy YN in other hand has to be competent but unobtrusive. It's this duality that makes Yamato Nadeshiko.

But yeah, Belldandy is good example.

IceHism 2014-05-05 18:38

Thanks for the suggestions, i'll be sure to give those a try though i'll probably be avoiding all the comedy series.

Hmm, I would think Ojou-samas or Yamato nadeshikos with backbones would be a lot more popular tropes but i'm surprised that there actually is very little judging by the lack of replies. I guess anime fans in japan really like their tsun/kuu/yan/dere characters.

Triple_R 2014-05-05 18:49

Are you familiar with Hitagi Senjougahara? Or Akemi Homura? If so, would a character like that work for you?

If so, the floodgates will open. I know a lot of anime characters like them.

But even without that...

Hyouka It has a little bit of comedy, but not much by KyoAni's standards. It's female lead is a very appealing YN-type, imo. And honestly, I think this show is just great, period. :heh:

The Pilot's Love Song There's a character in this that I think might work for you. But you'll probably have to give it at least 4 episodes before you'll know if she'll work for you.

IceHism 2014-05-05 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple_R (Post 5110722)
Are you familiar with Hitagi Senjougahara? Or Akemi Homura? If so, would a character like that work for you?

If so, the floodgates will open. I know a lot of anime characters like them.

But even without that...

Hyouka It has a little bit of comedy, but not much by KyoAni's standards. It's female lead is a very appealing YN-type, imo. And honestly, I think this show is just great, period. :heh:

The Pilot's Love Song There's a character in this that I think might work for you. But you'll probably have to give it at least 4 episodes before you'll know if she'll work for you.

Yes, i do know Akemi Homura. haven't started the monogatari series but i plan to do that soon.

I definitely think Homura has a noble cause and is a badass so i don't particularly mind more characters like her since YNs are apparently rare. So suggest away. Though i don't think Homura is a very refined and elegant type of girl (js)

Sackett 2014-05-05 20:44

You might find this site useful in defining a Yamato Nadeshiko:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...amatoNadeshiko

The two obvious are Belldandy from Ah My Goddess and Aoi Sakuraba from Ai Yori Aoshi. Both of whom are not floormats at all. Another very obvious choice is Sawako from Kimi Ni Todoke.

Inuyasha has a couple of Yamato Nadeshiko characters.

Tsubaki from Soul Eater fits.

If you don't care about what is on the inside, then Kyoko from Maison Ikkoku would be a good choice. Aeka from Tenchi Muyo OVA series would also count.

The Gundam series tends to have Yamato Nadeshiko female leads.

Triple_R 2014-05-06 06:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceHism (Post 5110748)
Yes, i do know Akemi Homura. haven't started the monogatari series but i plan to do that soon.

I definitely think Homura has a noble cause and is a badass so i don't particularly mind more characters like her since YNs are apparently rare. So suggest away.

Accel World (for KYH)

Kill La Kill (for Satsuki)

Tasogare Otome X Amnesia (for Yuko Kanoe)

Sankarea (for Rea)

Sola (for Matsuri)

Ga-Rei Zero (for Yomi)

Valvrave the Liberator (for Saki)

Buddy Complex (for Hina)

And going back to something a bit truer to classic YN... P.A. Works shows have a fair number of these.

True Tears (for Hiromi)

Tari Tari (for Wakana)

Red Data Girl

Tari Tari is slightly comedic, though, so a heads-up there.

SeijiSensei 2014-05-06 18:57

I was looking down that list of these characters in the link above. Never really having paid much attention to "official" categories like yamato nadeshiko I was curious whether, from the discussion here, Tsukamoto Yakumo from School Rumble qualified and saw her on the list.

The one that caught me eye though was Washimine Yukio from the final arc of Black Lagoon, "Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise." That is my favorite arc in Lagoon because Yukio-chan is such a detailed and complex character. If you've watched Black Lagoon once before and don't remember her, I recommend watching 19-24 again.

Kuwashima Houko gives another persuasive performance as Yukio.

IceHism 2014-05-07 18:14

Thanks for all the recommendations, although there may have been too many comedic shows recommended, this is a lot better than what i hoped for. I'll be going through some of them when i have time.