AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Fansub Groups (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Shining Fansubs Series Drops (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=21810)

clem-kun 2004-10-09 12:20

Shining Fansubs Series Drops

On behalf of Shining Fansubs, I am here to announce that we have decided to drop many of our competitive series. The reason? Many of our staff do not want to have the obligation to do a series regulary, as we have our own social lives, education, and families to attend to. When fansubbing becomes our top priority over all else, something is wrong with the picture. Also, people have been labelling us as 'speedsubbers', a title I particularly dislike because I hate speedsubbers myself. Therefore, we are going to be doing rare series now. That way, we can release episodes as we wish, without it being an obligation. Fansubbing can once again be a hobby. So here are the series we dropped:

1. Mai-HiME
2. Gundam Seed Destiny
3. Windy Tales
4. Sunabouzu

And we have picked up some new series/OVAs that we'll be releasing soon. Stay tuned, and gomen to all those who we have troubled with this news.

- Clem

Burner of Anime 2004-10-09 12:34

Troubled? I can only say thank God there are people interested in opening up the lenght and breath of Japanese animation instead of concentrating on what appears 'cool'. There is a veritable backlog of titles that streach decades with no hope of licencing, working on those will be much appreciated :D

7thMethuselah 2004-10-09 12:41

Well, I can only appreciate some groups aren't into oversubbing certain shows but instead choose for more rare shows that no one else gets into otherwise. Good luck on your new projects !!

DekaMaster 2004-10-09 13:02

You should feel no obligation anyways. If you do every new show you want you should do them as you feel you are able. But it's cool you are thinking about older stuff.

hooliganj 2004-10-09 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by clem-kun
3. Windy Tales

This one's kind of a bummer, since it leaves Deathsquad as the only group doing this show, and they're definately speed-subbers.

Good luck on your new projects, though. If it's something cool I'll be sure to check it out. :)

Fel 2004-10-09 18:27

I for one am glad to hear that you will concentrating on rare stuff, as new shows have enough groups subbing them anyway.
You should do what you want to do. I do hope you will release some more double-subbed stuff at some point, because it is a big help to me and other learners. :)

Besides, stuff that's hard to find is the only stuff worth watching! :p

Darth_E_ 2004-10-09 19:54

Quote:

When fansubbing becomes our top priority over all else, something is wrong with the picture. Also, people have been labelling us as 'speedsubbers', a title I particularly dislike because I hate speedsubbers myself. Therefore, we are going to be doing rare series now. That way, we can release episodes as we wish, without it being an obligation. Fansubbing can once again be a hobby.

And we have picked up some new series/OVAs that we'll be releasing soon. Stay tuned, and gomen to all those who we have troubled with this news.

- Clem

I think that's cool what you are doing, though I think I can understand why some people label you as "speed subbers" ( even though it might not be your intention). I only watched one release ( Mai Hime ep1) and my first impression was that it was quickly done. ( No karaokes, no op/end translations, no credit translations, lots of scene bleeds, no signs typesetting (then again, there wasnt alot of signs in that episode) ,basic subtitle styling...etc). But regardless, good luck with what you are doing and looking forward for the new series you are going to sub :)

Yours,
-Elly

monolithic 2004-10-10 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fel
I for one am glad to hear that you will concentrating on rare stuff, as new shows have enough groups subbing them anyway.
You should do what you want to do. I do hope you will release some more double-subbed stuff at some point, because it is a big help to me and other learners. :)

Besides, stuff that's hard to find is the only stuff worth watching! :p

Agreed. I never caught on with Gundam SEED, Naruto, Shaman King and FMA. :heh:

EV|RockLee 2004-10-10 16:10

*crosses fingers for possibiltyof shinfa doing super robot shows like the yuusha series*

Ephram9 2004-10-13 14:57

Quote:

On behalf of Shining Fansubs, I am here to announce that we have decided to drop many of our competitive series. The reason? Many of our staff do not want to have the obligation to do a series regulary, as we have our own social lives, education, and families to attend to. When fansubbing becomes our top priority over all else, something is wrong with the picture. Also, people have been labelling us as 'speedsubbers', a title I particularly dislike because I hate speedsubbers myself. Therefore, we are going to be doing rare series now. That way, we can release episodes as we wish, without it being an obligation. Fansubbing can once again be a hobby. So here are the series we dropped:

1. Mai-HiME
2. Gundam Seed Destiny
3. Windy Tales
4. Sunabouzu

- Clem

so you dropped some series, but you also picked some up... has the situation changed?

Access 2004-10-13 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elly
( No karaokes, no op/end translations, no credit translations, lots of scene bleeds, no signs typesetting (then again, there wasnt alot of signs in that episode) ,basic subtitle styling...etc). But regardless, good luck with what you are doing and looking forward for the new series you are going to sub :)
-Elly

Seriously do half these things denote it as a 'speed-sub'? I am probably going to rip the karaoke out of one of my projects b'cos the guy that retimes it every ep. is inactive and I personally don't see a point in it. Likewise for credit translations. And sub styling is extraneous, I prefer to focus on the essentials and not the 'fluff'. The stigma of speed-subbing has more to do with the quality of the essential translations, editing errors, serious mis-timing, etc. -- not the lack of extraneous features like fancy fonts, karaoke, credit translations, etc.

Always question the status quo -- we need practicality and common sense, not fluff.

clem-kun 2004-10-13 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Access
The stigma of speed-subbing has more to do with the quality of the essential translations, editing errors, serious mis-timing, etc.

True, and I'd have to admit we had lots of those on our Mai-HiME release. We were going to release a v2, but since our group was busy anyways, I just decided to drop the series as a whole.

And just hold tight, our new releases are coming soon. We are trying to make it as good as possible to prevent being called speedsubbers and being flamed to death in our IRC channel again.

- Clem

rainking187 2004-10-13 19:25

It says in your sig that your looking for suggestions, so I have to suggest Morizo & Kiccoro's Holiday. It looks interesting. I don't know if anyone's doing it, it came out almost a month ago, and no one's subbed it yet.

Darth_E_ 2004-10-13 20:12

Quote:

Seriously do half these things denote it as a 'speed-sub'? I am probably going to rip the karaoke out of one of my projects b'cos the guy that retimes it every ep. is inactive and I personally don't see a point in it. Likewise for credit translations. And sub styling is extraneous, I prefer to focus on the essentials and not the 'fluff'. The stigma of speed-subbing has more to do with the quality of the essential translations, editing errors, serious mis-timing, etc. -- not the lack of extraneous features like fancy fonts, karaoke, credit translations, etc.

not at all. it's not about being fancy or not, they just gave me the initial impression of speedsubs is all. I wasn't trying to demean Shifa or something, my appologies if I gave such impression.

Yours,
-Elly

Judo 2004-10-17 06:44

so you want to do older anime? How bout doing "Iga no Kabamaru" then?

Jinxy 2004-10-19 03:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooliganj
This one's kind of a bummer, since it leaves Deathsquad as the only group doing this show, and they're definately speed-subbers.

Good luck on your new projects, though. If it's something cool I'll be sure to check it out. :)

We're working on fixing that, We currently lack a stable QC system.
But we'll be fixing that. We hope to remove that Label on us. ASAP

Sakaki- 2004-10-19 08:22

Quote:

Always question the status quo -- we need practicality and common sense, not fluff.

It's trully sad if you retime the karaoke every episode when its just the same clip of music and song being played every episode and you could just resync the start time and everything would be jolly and dandy.

Enjoy
Sakaki-

Access 2004-10-19 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakaki-
It's trully sad if you retime the karaoke every episode when its just the same clip of music and song being played every episode and you could just resync the start time and everything would be jolly and dandy.

Enjoy
Sakaki-

It's not, every OP is different, so a simple resync is no good.

clem-kun 2004-10-19 18:00

Good news (to some).

We might be repicking up Windy Tales because of several reasons.

1. It's one of my personal favorites this season.
2. The art is unique; the anime is unique.
3. We have had many (20+) requests for to repick it up.
4. We want to give fans a choice between two groups.

However, our decision is not yet final. As I have stated earlier, we don't want to feel obligated to demanding fans. But if you have a thought, please share it. It may help us make our decision.

NeoSam 2004-10-19 19:09

How about Futakoi?
I'm not sure if anyone is going to fansub this show, 2 episodes have already aired in japan.