AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Umineko (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Epitaph: Speculations and Theories [Episode 1-4] (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=82557)

Dlanor A. Knox 2009-12-15 15:29

maybe the witch is the gold itself, I mean, when someone is rich it kinda poisons the mind, that can make a person kill other people because of greed of keeping it all for her/his self. thats why the twilights are here. praise her/his name is because she/he is the new head of the family, thus the new "Kinzo".

when you killed everyone, you get shocked and locked it away OR because you feel guilty you send it to the family of the one's that got killed. so it sleeps forever.

luckyssol 2009-12-15 18:20

Having completely different treasures offered at the end of epitaph always seemed odd to me. Look at the rewards that are offered at the end of the epitaph. These "rewards" raise many questions.

One shall be, all the gold from the Golden Land.
10 tons of gold is motivation for almost anyone to solve a riddle.
The adults are all in dire need to money but how far back do their financial problems go? Before the epitaph was created?
Kanon and Shannon (others?) don't seem to care that much about money.

One shall be, the resurrection of the souls of all the dead.
I think whoever originally wrote the epitaph did not intend for it to be a ritual where 13 human lives are sacrificed. If the ninth twilight's "no one will be left alive" is not referring to actual people then what is this reward?
In the story, who was mentioned to have died before October 4th? (Battler's grandparents, 1967 Beatrice, Kinzo's Beatrice, Asumu, etc...)

One shall be, even the resurrection of the lost love.
When the epitaph was created who would the author be offering this to as a reward? How can solving a riddle reward love? Mabye it's the process of solving the riddle which rewards the lost love.
The epitaph was only placed inside the mansion. Were only the family members and servants intended to view it?
This reward could also be a metaphor as well.

One shall be, to put the witch to sleep for all time.
I think the ninth twilight's "the witch shall be revived" is a metaphor for opening the door to the "golden land". After the rewards are received the door will be closed forever.

chounokoe 2009-12-15 19:47

I have another note on my idea that the one who holds the key and the wise man are two different people.

Assuming the wise man does something different from the one who holds the key. Maybe they even exist at the same time, yet the wise one is able to escape from death at the hand of the witch.
Anyway, assuming he is wise based on the fact that he does not search feverishly after the gold and the golden land and does not have to follow the sacrifices, maybe he is awarded in a way like that.

一つは、黄金郷の全ての黄金。 -> One shall be, all the gold from the Golden Land.
The witch gives him the gold, because he earned it by being wise and not sacrificing those he loved for the means of saving oneself.

一つは、全ての死者のを蘇らせ。 -> One shall be, the resurrection of the souls of all the dead.
It never said that the dead will be revived, but their souls.
This could simply imply that by being wise he saves the souls of those who died in connection to the gold/golden land/the witch are freed from their imprisonment in the everlasting limbo of Rokkenjima. There does not have to be any strong presence of supernatural elements for that...it would just be a spiritual way of saying 'people's names are cleared of everything'.

一つは、失った愛すらも蘇らせる。 -> One shall be, even the resurrection of the lost love.
Assuming that one has lost love, because he was captured by whatever is happening on Rokkenjima or whatever events sorround the gold, maybe through being wise he proves that he has freed himself from those shackles and he gains back the love and trust of people around him.
It would fit in the fact that 愛が無ければ見えない (You can't see it without love).
I often assumed for example that Kinzo had to make a choice between Beatrice and the gold for his family back in his youth, and he chose the gold...which he always regreted in the end. 

一つは、魔女を永遠に眠りにつかせよう。 -> One shall be, to put the witch to sleep for all time.

Assuming one is wise if he does not follow the path of the key, the witch is put to rest by someone who does not attempt to follow the steps that will raise her.
If the witch is really another word for death and suffering, then it could just mean that the suffering and killing in the Ushiromiya family will end as soon as someone is wise enough not to reach out for the gold.

I think it would be quite clever to put such a part (if it should really mean that) at the end of the epitaph, because one had to prove strong against the temptation of reaching out for the gold.
Assuming it's location is described in the first paragraph, the reader is offered 2 choices to advance, the way of the one who holds the key and opens the door to the golden land or the path of the wise one.

Don't know if anyone would actually agree on that...but I think it could prove true.

luckyssol 2009-12-15 22:48

Rokkenjima 六軒島
六 six
軒 building
島 island

The five twilights 4 through 8 could just be a process of eliminating five out of the six buildings. Mabye the order in which the buildings are eliminated will tell you exactly where to go once you're down to one building.

BUILDINGS
九羽鳥庵 Kuwadorian
礼拝堂 Chapel
渡来庵 Toraian(sp?) (aka the guesthouse)
園芸倉庫 Gardening Shed
屋敷 Mansion
???薔薇庭園 rose garden??? (Does anyone know of a sixth building?)

TWILIGHTS
四 頭 head
五 胸 chest
六 腹 Stomach
七 膝 Knee
八 足 Foot/Leg

I think five LETTERS should remain after cutting six of them from QUADRILLION, performing a seperation of some kind, and praising the name. Depending on what theory you use it will be different.

To eliminate each building I think you need to combine a BUILDING, TWILIGHT, and a LETTER somehow. This process should tell you exactly where to go inside the remaining building if you look at the order in which the five other buildings were eliminated... somehow...

The remaining building should contain the passage to the golden land.

Just some random thoughts. :heh:

ijriims 2009-12-15 23:10

What about the destoryed shrine being the sixth building?

But the guesthouse cannot be part of the six buildings (if indeed Kinzo named Rokkenjima and planned to have six buildings)- as it was built by Krauss at a much latter time. And garden shed being a building comparable to the mansion and Kwadorian was so weird.

I think 六軒 may actually mean six homes or home for sixes - Kinzo's, Beatrice's, Krauss's, Eva's, Rudolf's, and Rosa's.

Dlanor A. Knox 2009-12-16 01:16

so...Kinzo is a like a bad good guy?
acts bad but actually cares alot about others....

ijriims 2009-12-16 01:20

Of course, or what sort of story you think Ryukishi07 would write?

I can even say this in gold (but better not): Every real people would be redeemed at last, no matter it was real Beatrice, Kinzo, Rosa, or the mastermind.

The goal of epitaph is good intention

Dlanor A. Knox 2009-12-16 01:23

xD yeah.... Wel I hope for Maria that Rosa will act normal soon, and realize how much she actually cares about her daughter...and that she will get a nice new husband.

Jan-Poo 2009-12-17 06:21

You keep forgetting this interview:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...99#post2797099

The homeland is definitely the place Kinzo was born. Not only Eva follows this kind of reasoning but it is also confirmed by Ryukishi himself.

And this means that the honorable name is also Kinzo's, because the subject of the whole epitaph it's him.

I must say that the "qilian" theory is a very sound one, definitely the better I've seen and by far better than any other. However there are still many things that aren't clear.

Taiwan was certainly part of Japan at that time, but why would Kinzo's mother be there? There might be a lot of reasons... the fact that Ryukishi in his interview stressed out the importance of the boundaries of Japan could be a hint for that. Maybe he hoped someone would notice that Yonaguni wasn't the western most tip of Japan when Kinzo was born.

But what bothers me the most is how someone that doesn't have a clue of Kinzo's birthplace would get to Taiwan? And I'm not talking about us, but the people that in the story should have been given equal chances to solve the riddle.

the other thing that bothers me is the line with the the two and the shore.
According to that theory's interpretation the sentence itself as no importance, it just serves to purpose of bringing up the various elements found in "qilian". In fact if you read the sentence literally the key should lie in the "shore", but according to the qilian theory the key is the whole thing that includes shore, village and two mouths.

The other problem is that as many pointed out the qilian station didn't exist before 1988. Is there another thing named qilian maybe?

Another problem is that Danshui is both a river and a railway. Then why Rosa said that the river part was misleading? Also Eva replies that it was a good hint becaue it made her think about the sea. Uh? If it is really Danshui shouldn't the word "river" itself be the hint? And what about the sea?

The rest however matches perfectly. Although it is still not clear what meaning is there on the witch that will revive. Or the meaning behind the two that will be separated.

luckyssol 2009-12-17 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan-Poo (Post 2825211)
The other problem is that as many pointed out the qilian station didn't exist before 1988. Is there another thing named qilian maybe?

This page refers to Qilian that is not the station.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan-Poo (Post 2825211)
Another problem is that Danshui is both a river and a railway. Then why Rosa said that the river part was misleading? Also Eva replies that it was a good hint becaue it made her think about the sea. Uh? If it is really Danshui shouldn't the word "river" itself be the hint? And what about the sea?

Well 淡水河 (Tansui kawa) is used in the Taiwan theory but 鮎の川 (ayu no kawa) is used in the epitaph. Freshwater river vs. Sweetfish river.

Different kanji used for the river part? I don't know if that makes any difference though. :heh:

ijriims 2009-12-17 07:27

鮎 is a kind of fish which go to the sea to live but back to the river homeland to breed.

Tansui kawa is a river which connects directly with the Taiwan Strait so there must be a lot of 鮎.

When you read EP3, you notice the conversation between Eva and Rosa that Rosa said 鮎の川 was not important at all, then Eva said it gave one some connotation so it was important.

鮎の川 gave one what connotation? A river connecting the saltwater and freshwater.

frostieyes 2009-12-17 07:32

Oops. I didn't know this thread existed until now.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...58#post2825258

Here's my translation of an interpretation of the epitaph.

luckyssol 2009-12-17 07:48

Brilliant. I can't wait to see if this holds true. :)

Spoiler for Episode 4:

Jan-Poo 2009-12-17 09:55

Lol, apart from the things already part of the qilian theory the rest is ridiculously far-fetched. The driver the rood and th bomb have too many questionable manipulations of data.

There's only one thing that I find interesting and that's the Left,Right,Down,Up connection with "LORD U". The "O" maybe stands for center.

CainSonozaki 2009-12-17 14:54

This line strikes me from frostieeyes theory

"My beloved 0, Beatrice"
Spoiler for Zero:

Jan-Poo 2009-12-18 05:20

Yeah then Kanon is zero (in the roulette)
Maria creates magic from zero
Kanon is Beatrice

Mystery solved

ChibiBear 2009-12-18 05:27

Everything seems to point to Kanon at this point lol ^^ I agree though.

Dlanor A. Knox 2009-12-18 05:31

Poor Kanon xD
I think someone is setting it up so Kanon is suspicous ya ne?

ChibiBear 2009-12-18 05:44

I hope so! I feel bad for accusing my kawaii Kanon-kun...

CainSonozaki 2009-12-18 10:04

Well things are sure working against him. His bodys been missing twice and doesnt he go off alone in Ep 1 when he "dies". Plus he looks suspiciously like a younger Lelouch Lamperouge :p